Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I thought polls showed everyone knew about Tara Reade and what she went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Probably a difference between "have you heard of the rape allegations made by Tara Reade against Joe Biden" asked by a pollster in May 2020 and the general public being able to recall Reade's name and the allegations after a year of silence from the media (especially when there's a famous actor with a similar name).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouseGPC/status/1377618583354753028

This would be comical if it weren't so depressing.

VVVV
Jesus christ

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lester Shy posted:

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouseGPC/status/1377618583354753028

This would be comical if it weren't so depressing.

Check the date.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Check the date.

Lolling that this is real and they really did that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

Check the date.

In my timezone it was posted on April 2nd and I was like wow, that was a close oneoooooh nooooo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Has Cuomo been deposed yet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

nope, I think the state party has released another 'WORKING HARD, THANK YOU' thing re: investigations a couple days back but he's clearly gonna skate through

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

nope, I think the state party has released another 'WORKING HARD, THANK YOU' thing re: investigations a couple days back but he's clearly gonna skate through

This is a completely dishonest characterization of events. What you're referencing is the state assembly judiciary committee (not "the party") met to formally start an investigation, hire outside counsel to assist with it, and send Cuomo a formal non-retaliation notice, which are all the first steps to an impeachment.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/03/23/cuomo-impeachment-investigation-to-take-months-rather-than-weeks-1369225

The NYS AG also has launched an investigation and has been sending out subpoenas to Cuomo's aides.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2021/03/28/aides-to-cuomo-subpoenaed-in-sexual-harassment-probe-wsj/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

This is a completely dishonest characterization of events. What you're referencing is the state assembly judiciary committee (not "the party") met to formally start an investigation, hire outside counsel to assist with it, and send Cuomo a formal non-retaliation notice, which are all the first steps to an impeachment.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2021/03/23/cuomo-impeachment-investigation-to-take-months-rather-than-weeks-1369225

The NYS AG also has launched an investigation and has been sending out subpoenas to Cuomo's aides.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2021/03/28/aides-to-cuomo-subpoenaed-in-sexual-harassment-probe-wsj/

Right, they met last month to say 'yea this is gonna take a few months' because somehow it's a really complex accusation when you just have accusers sitting there in the open willing to talk, which is a great omen

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cuomo's favorability amongst NY dems was still around 75% before he legalized weed. If toxxes were still a thing I'd bet my account on Cuomo getting a slap on the wrist, assurance that he won't run again (which afaik he already said), but keeping his office because we need a Strong Democrat in there when we Hold Trump Accountable (which also will not happen)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Right, they met last month to say 'yea this is gonna take a few months' because somehow it's a really complex accusation when you just have accusers sitting there in the open willing to talk, which is a great omen

That's not what they met to do, they met to start the process.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

The Gaetz stuff is probably going to make people forget all about it, or if they do remember it, there will be a lot of folks saying "see? he's not as bad as Gaetz".

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cuomo is literally the most powerful politician in the State of New York and - if I am recalling correctly - NY State hasn't impeached a sitting governor in over a hundred years. The legal mechanisms needed to remove him barely exist and is exceedingly difficult but that's NY State Politics :shrug:

Despite it being difficult he should absolutely be impeached and investigated for potential criminal acts.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

There is no reason for NY Dems (or the Democrats in general) to get rid of Cuomo. Their voters don't care, their donors don't care, their leadership definitely doesn't care, and even the media is done with him. He smashed the legal weed button to get the heat off, and oh hey look over here there's Gaetz!
This would be different if they were worried that there might be any consequences, but the media has died down and the voters have shown they don't really give enough of a poo poo. Since Franken they've learned over and over again that as long as you
keep your head down this stuff blows over. Biden himself proved that if the voters thought the stakes were high enough -- defeating Trump for Biden and Holding Trump Accountable (lmao) in Cuomo's case -- your voters are just going to ignore this after a few weeks.

Even the nursing home scandal is only mentioned by NYPost and Fox any more, and even that is more often than not to distract from Gaetz or any other Trump orbit thing.

If you think the Democrats are going to move on this it's because you still, in 2021, maintain the puerile delusion that the Democrats, more than just being the not-Republicans, are somehow The Good Guys, and don't even have a conception of how political power works or what it even is

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cuomo, isn't even a Democrat at this point. Democrats or specifically "Progressive Democrats" have been trying to get rid of him for over a decade now and finally it might work this time. He's not only toxic to the party but terrible with nearly everything that he does unless it somehow enormously benefits him and voters are starting to see that clearly.

If he doesn't get impeached - which may occur - he isn't going to win re-election.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Cuomo, isn't even a Democrat at this point. Democrats or specifically "Progressive Democrats" have been trying to get rid of him for over a decade now and finally it might work this time. He's not only toxic to the party but terrible with nearly everything that he does unless it somehow enormously benefits him and voters are starting to see that clearly.

If he doesn't get impeached - which may occur - he isn't going to win re-election.

he's a loving democrat darling what are you talking about, he got a loving EMMY for being a democrat darling and giving terrible pressers where he yelled about red zones, people wanted him to blast their back walls out, he's exactly the kind of amoral sociopath with a hard conservative viewpoint that the party loves

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Cuomo, isn't even a Democrat at this point.

What? This is a weird read on a guy who has not been expelled from either the state or national party. At this point last year, there was serious talk about drafting him to be the Dem nominee.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 9, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

he's a loving democrat darling what are you talking about, he got a loving EMMY for being a democrat darling and giving terrible pressers where he yelled about red zones, people wanted him to blast their back walls out, he's exactly the kind of amoral sociopath with a hard conservative viewpoint that the party loves

He got an award during COVID because the standard back then was merely better than Trump which isn't that hard to do at all and know how to work the press and play people's emotions. Just like Rudy Giuliani did during 9/11 but it turned out he's a corrupt piece of poo poo.

I agree, he is a sociopath but he's good at being a sociopath which sucks!

Lester Shy posted:

What? This is a weird read on a guy who has not been expelled from either the state or national party. At this point last year, there was serious talk about drafting him to be the Dem nominee.

What do you want me to say here? He's the most powerful politician in the whole State of New York and other people are terrified of confronting him because he's a loving vengeful rear end in a top hat. No one ever said politics was easy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yes, he's a weird, abusive rear end in a top hat who sucks to work with and be governed by, but he's still a Democrat. You can't no-true-scotsman him out of the party.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
he's also not good at being a sociopath, he's good at riding his racist, homophobic, father's name to wealth and power

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The things he supports and does aren't even at all a part of the parties platform. He should be expelled from the party and he does not live up to it's values. That's why you have so many Democrats asking for his resignation.

Meet the New Cuomo. Same as the Old Cuomo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

he's also not good at being a sociopath, he's good at riding his racist, homophobic, father's name to wealth and power

That's a different take but I agree. In my view he's kind of like political royalty which is also gross.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

We're not even a year past the birth of "Cuomosexual", Democrats and their voters fuckin love the guy, even after the sex pest poo poo and the nursing homes. The only people who have been working to get him out are the same "crank fringe" that wanted Bernie to win, and we all see what the Democrats did with that whole affair. The Democrats love Cuomo for many of the same reasons the Republicans love Trump, and like Trump supporters they're going to move heaven and earth so their guy doesn't really ever face any consequences for his misdeeds.

This isn't a wild prediction, this happens all the time. The only time they ever get anyone on anything is when whatever they did is so outrageous and disgusting and obvious it pierces the team-political shell.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The things he supports and does aren't even at all a part of the parties platform. He should be expelled from the party and he does not live up to it's values. That's why you have so many Democrats asking for his resignation.

Meet the New Cuomo. Same as the Old Cuomo.

Maybe he isn't being expelled from the party because its values aren't what you thought they were

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

We're not even a year past the birth of "Cuomosexual", Democrats and their voters fuckin love the guy, even after the sex pest poo poo and the nursing homes. The only people who have been working to get him out are the same "crank fringe" that wanted Bernie to win, and we all see what the Democrats did with that whole affair. The Democrats love Cuomo for many of the same reasons the Republicans love Trump, and like Trump supporters they're going to move heaven and earth so their guy doesn't really ever face any consequences for his misdeeds.

This isn't a wild prediction, this happens all the time. The only time they ever get anyone on anything is when whatever they did is so outrageous and disgusting and obvious it pierces the team-political shell.

Can you post anything to back up these flaming hot takes? The NY State assembly is working through impeachment proceedings, and claiming on the "crank fringe" is trying to get him out is just a bald-faced lie.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/everyone-calling-for-cuomo-resign.html

Cuomo is playing the Rudy/9-11 role to the T. He was largely hated in New York before COVID, become popular because he didn't jump on every rake he could find during a crisis, and now everyone is remembering that he's a dirtbag. Outside of his rally round the flag period last year Democrats have never particularly liked him, nevermind "love the guy", he's a product of state machine politics. Talking about his approval you are again, as far as I can tell, just making things up:

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/new-york-state-poll-governor-cuomo-struggling-amid-controversies

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Has there actually ever been a democrat in the last 50 years who has been officially expelled from the party?

Is that even a thing that exists as a mechanism in even states with closed primaries?

I web searched it a bit and didn't come up with any hits at all.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 9, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jarmak posted:

Talking about his approval you are again, as far as I can tell, just making things up

Cuomo polls poorly nationally, amongst everyone, but is still above 50% in New York, and at 75% with NY Dems (which is the thing that matters here) as of Mar. 22, which is before the legal weed stuff. This is exactly what I said, and -- I'll point out also -- your Emerson data is from Mar 1-2 and only mentions Democrats in as much that it says most don't think he should serve another term, which is again not what we're talking about here.

I know you're slamming on that google search bar as hard and as fast as you can so you don't get Owned Online but please take the time to read the things you link to and at least acknowledge that this is the Democrats' guy here. Just months ago everyone was tripping over themselves to open a lane for him to make a presidential run after Joe/Kamala.

e: https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/25/cuomo-schumer-gillibrand-approval-rating/
I apologize, I thought I had edited that in posts ago but never actually hit the button

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cuomo polls poorly nationally, amongst everyone, but is still above 50% in New York, and at 75% with NY Dems (which is the thing that matters here) as of Mar. 22, which is before the legal weed stuff. This is exactly what I said, and -- I'll point out also -- your Emerson data is from Mar 1-2 and only mentions Democrats in as much that it says most don't think he should serve another term, which is again not what we're talking about here.

I know you're slamming on that google search bar as hard and as fast as you can so you don't get Owned Online but please take the time to read the things you link to and at least acknowledge that this is the Democrats' guy here. Just months ago everyone was tripping over themselves to open a lane for him to make a presidential run after Joe/Kamala.

quote:

The latest Emerson College/WPIX-TV/NewsNation poll of New York voters finds Governor Andrew Cuomo in a precarious position, with his job approval underwater at 38% approval/48% disapproval. His approval is lowest among those 18-34 (22% approval) and those who are white (26% approval) and highest among Black/African-Americans (62% approval) and those living in NYC (53% approval). Women approve of Cuomo at a higher rate (43% approval/40% disapproval) than men (56% disapproval to 33% approval).

Who is it that you think lives in New York? There's not exactly a wealth of high-quality polling for state governor approval ratings; Emmerson was the best source I could find. You still have yet to source anything you've claimed despite being asked. Especially when you've already been completely making stuff up like "only the cranks are trying to get him out" when a majority of the New York congressional delegation has called on him to resign.

Trump could barely break 38% approval while he was actively killing the country, those are terrible numbers in New York.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think there's also a huge difference between saying "this person should resign" and actually pulling the trigger on impeachment proceedings.

Saying that Cuomo should resign is currently popular and the in thing and it costs zero political capital and is in no way a danger to anyone saying it at this point.

Until anyone actually rolls impeachment proceedings im going to assume nothing happens to Cuomo at all.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I think there's also a huge difference between saying "this person should resign" and actually pulling the trigger on impeachment proceedings.

Saying that Cuomo should resign is currently popular and the in thing and it costs zero political capital and is in no way a danger to anyone saying it at this point.

Until anyone actually rolls impeachment proceedings im going to assume nothing happens to Cuomo at all.

They have done that already

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/nyregion/cuomo-resign-sexual-harassment.html

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That's an inquiry. Its not proceedings. We all know exactly why studies, inquires, investigations all get thrown out there. It's so you can wait long enough for the topic to die off.

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/episode-123-how-liberal-meta-demands-for-investigations-and-studies-are-used-to-silence-activists

That inquiry started nearly a month ago and there's been no movement. Sounds like its right on track.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I posted the source, but he's likely not going to run again and NY Republican voters aren't going to vote for him. The latest polling I could find doesn't include the weed legislation (which is going to give him a bump, which is why he did it). 75% is down from the ~87% he had before any of this broke but it'll be up again soon enough as this stuff fades out and weed is factored in.

Why would they do anything to risk the NY Dem machine that has been humming along perfectly happily for so long now? To appease Republicans? Why?

So a bunch of people wrote their names down so they can go on record as tut-tutting that naughty Cuomo. Oh they made a task force to assess the viability of creating a focus team to determine if they should form a committee to discuss removing Cuomo.

What's that? The first time committee is going to meet in November 22? Ah well, nevertheless...

anyway, to reiterate in case you didn't see my edit or something.
https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/25/cuomo-schumer-gillibrand-approval-rating/

Morning Consult as of 3/22 posted:

Like many other governors, Cuomo began the year riding the wave of a pandemic boost that elevated his job approval rating to 73 percent by the beginning of last summer. While that bump had begun to subside by January, he was nonetheless the most popular statewide official – particularly among Democratic voters.

After signaling his interest in seeking a fourth term next year, Cuomo is still popular with his state’s Democratic voters, but the weeks of scandal have taken a toll.

According to the latest polling, 75 percent of New York Democrats approve of Cuomo’s job performance, down 12 percentage points since the New York Post’s report. Nearly half of that movement came after his former aide, Lindsey Boylan, detailed an allegation of sexual misconduct that prompted other women to come forward with allegations about the governor.
They've even got charts and graphs and stuff if you click through the link. You'll love it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

That's an inquiry. Its not proceedings. We all know exactly why studies, inquires, investigations all get thrown out there. It's so you can wait long enough for the topic to die off.

https://citationsneeded.libsyn.com/episode-123-how-liberal-meta-demands-for-investigations-and-studies-are-used-to-silence-activists

That inquiry started nearly a month ago and there's been no movement. Sounds like its right on track.

An inquiry is part of impeachment proceedings, it's literally the first formal step.

I posted the source, but he's likely not going to run again and NY Republican voters aren't going to vote for him. The latest polling I could find doesn't include the weed legislation (which is going to give him a bump, which is why he did it). 75% is down from the ~87% he had before any of this broke but it'll be up again soon enough as this stuff fades out and weed is factored in.

Why would they do anything to risk the NY Dem machine that has been humming along perfectly happily for so long now? To appease Republicans? Why?

So a bunch of people wrote their names down so they can go on record as tut-tutting that naughty Cuomo. Oh they made a task force to assess the viability of creating a focus team to determine if they should form a committee to discuss removing Cuomo.

What's that? The first time committee is going to meet in November 22? Ah well, nevertheless...

anyway, to reiterate in case you didn't see my edit or something.
https://morningconsult.com/2021/03/25/cuomo-schumer-gillibrand-approval-rating/

They've even got charts and graphs and stuff if you click through the link. You'll love it.

I didn't see your source because you edited it in after I replied. You're right, those are much better then they were, but they're still abysmal numbers for a democrat in New York who had 73% approval less than 6 months ago.

You can't just hand-waive away the majority of the congressional delegation, including both senators, calling for his resignation. Or the formal opening of an impeachment inquiry. Or the Democratic AGs office opening a criminal investigation and issuing subpoenas. On the other hand in the pro-Cuomo evidence camp one poll that has terrible but not catastrophic numbers, and your hot takes. You're just moving the goalposts in circles.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I don't think "the democratic party of NY isn't going to actually punish a sexual harasser" is much of a hot take considering - history - of the party and sexual harassers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Let's make it easy, when was the last time any party actively punished a serial sex criminal? Frankin right? I mean actual punishment and not just 'okay you're not allowed to run again and we're wagging our fingers very hard at you sir!'

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Jarmak posted:

You can't just hand-waive away the majority of the congressional delegation, including both senators, calling for his resignation. Or the formal opening of an impeachment inquiry. Or the Democratic AGs office opening a criminal investigation and issuing subpoenas. On the other hand in the pro-Cuomo evidence camp one poll that has terrible but not catastrophic numbers, and your hot takes. You're just moving the goalposts in circles.

I am not moving the goalposts anywhere! My position has been exactly the same as it has been since the very first post I made here: nothing is going to happen to Cuomo other than, at worst, a slap on the wrist. He's not going to run again anyway, by his own admission. He may have bad numbers nationally, but that doesn't matter. New Yorkers still like him (probably love him again, now) and New Yorkers are the people that matter here and (this is the important part!) they don't blame the Democratic Party for Cuomo -- or anything else! Not even New York Democrats (Schumer and Gillibrand's approval has increased). You've been saying what other Dems have been saying and the precise reason why everyone is writing their names on the "Cuomo is a naughty boy list": to prove that they're Doing Their Best.

But, there's no reason the Democrats have to actually rock the boat and carry through any of this. They sing the song and do the dance so they can be seen as doing something, which assuages people like you who are like pathologically required to defend them and lets everyone else forget about it. Nothing bad happens to anyone in power. Nobody (important) loses their jobs. Ultimately not enough people (in New York) care, or will continue to care, and Cuomo will never be held to account for any of this.

This isn't a "hand wave". This is the playbook that has been used for decades on both sides of the aisle.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe he isn't being expelled from the party because its values aren't what you thought they were

This bears emphasis. Don't look at what they claim they believe in, nor in what they say they will do. Look at what they actually get done and you'll understand what they actually value.

Jarmak posted:

Sure you can. If they actually wanted to force the issue, they could halt the government until it was finished. Literally, everyone saying "I'm calling for his resignation in the most strenuous terms possible" should be saying "and I will vote NO on everything that comes before me until then."

They're not doing that second part, which makes the first part a smokescreen.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 9, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

John_A_Tallon posted:

Sure you can. If they actually wanted to force the issue, they could halt the government until it was finished. Literally, everyone saying "I'm calling for his resignation in the most strenuous terms possible" should be saying "and I will vote NO on everything that comes before me until then."

And we could technically stop emitting fossil fuels tomorrow and only hit 1.3C of Global Warming but it's not going to happen. There is not a legal mechanism for NY State to simply remove Cuomo because they feel like and simply shutting down government would also be catastrophic. It's not like he or others wouldn't be able to spin it as cancel culture just as conservative do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

And we could technically stop emitting fossil fuels tomorrow and only hit 1.3C of Global Warming but it's not going to happen. There is not a legal mechanism for NY State to simply remove Cuomo because they feel like and simply shutting down government would also be catastrophic. It's not like he or others wouldn't be able to spin it as cancel culture just as conservative do.

That's right, because those goals are not things that the democrats actually value. Climate change isn't important to them, nor are working environments that are safe from sex pests like Cuomo. They're not willing to actually advance those goals in tangible ways, so it's manifest that those goals are not only not a priority, but given how they speak about them are actually used to distract their constituents from what the real DNC agenda is.