Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

inferis posted:

I am saying that despite multiple states being fully open for a month, and many others easing restrictions, we are actually in a much better situation than we were this past fall. And things will continue to get better now that vaccines are going full steam ahead.

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

has anyone even sat down and try to talk with the virus?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I remember I was working at a summer camp in like 2002 and one of my kids got whooping cough and then Jenny McCarthy came along and I realized then that we are hosed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nichael posted:

I think the most compelling reason I ever heard for opening schools up was a high school teacher who said two of her students committed suicide last Spring, from depression induced by the isolation. That doesn't mean Open Biden is a good strategy (it isn't), but COVID is just another manifestation of how adept this lovely country is at propagating depression and atomization.

Suicides went down last year but congrats on repeating completely disproven prestige media talking point.

salient
Jan 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1380341097000529920
https://twitter.com/DavidElfstrom/status/1379814589395795975

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nichael posted:

I think the most compelling reason I ever heard for opening schools up was a high school teacher who said two of her students committed suicide last Spring, from depression induced by the isolation. That doesn't mean Open Biden is a good strategy (it isn't), but COVID is just another manifestation of how adept this lovely country is at propagating depression and atomization.

A part of my job is monitoring stuff like this and suicide rates were down in 2020 compared to 2019 even though behavioral health utilization was up.

More people looking for counseling or seeing shrinks, less people topping themselves.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Google Butt posted:

has anyone even sat down and try to talk with the virus?

I've tried but it just keeps repeating "number go up" and "Open Biden".

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Suicides went down last year but congrats on repeating completely disproven prestige media talking point.

I wasn't, I just said an individual said that to me, it was sad, and I couldn't dispute her in the moment with Facts and Logic because that's not how people work. I don't think America is particularly good at keeping people happy, but admittedly I don't know exact statistics.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/mandophotos/status/1380335687950598146

more social distancing and masking at the Sox game

Apr 7, 2003

I'm fuckin' pumped to see death rates in six weeks due to baseball.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A part of my job is monitoring stuff like this and suicide rates were down in 2020 compared to 2019 even though behavioral health utilization was up.

More people looking for counseling or seeing shrinks, less people topping themselves.

yeah it feels very freakenomics, but even the CDCs numbers confirm: suicides were significantly down in 2020

not gone though, and that sucks for those two kids and that teacher

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

someone get the virus to camp david for talks

preferably with most of the biden admin there

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nichael posted:

I wasn't, I just said an individual said that to me, it was sad, and I couldn't dispute her in the moment with Facts and Logic because that's not how people work.

You said it was a compelling reason for opening up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thoguh posted:

You said it was a compelling reason for opening up.

It's more compelling than most, because anecdotal stories from individuals often are. But you don't use one-off examples like that to dictate policy. I felt bad for the teacher, there's really nothing else to say.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

someone get the virus to camp david for talks

preferably with most of the biden admin there

"A bipartisan compromise was reached today, when President Biden promised COVID-19 unconditional surrender"

salient
Jan 2, 2021

salient posted:

yesterday management told us that covid is over (for the third time) immediately after glossing over the fact our covid+ hospitalizations are increasing as cases increase across the state. michigan covid respects borders and won't cross over into indiana. god bless america openerup

quote:

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/h...a8-4dc066dd4161

Some local hospitals are seeing a concerning trend: New cases of COVID-19 are ticking back up across the state. Thursday alone, nearly 1,400 additional cases were reported in Indiana. Nearly 800 COVID-19 patients are currently hospitalized, and hospitals told 13News they are suddenly treating more younger people sickened by COVID-19.

"You know, it is scary when you see these people, a 26-year-old, on a ventilator," said Dr. David Dunkle, CEO and president of Johnson Memorial Health. "It doesn't make you feel good." Some health care providers fear the situation is going to get worse. "I think we are in the beginning of a fourth surge," Ledyard said. "I am worried about that. I hope, we really hope, it doesn't get to the numbers we had around the holidays."

Unchecked, many believe there could be a perfect pandemic storm.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
baseball wanting to kill its already dwindling fanbase. brave

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

brugroffil posted:

missed a few

don't worry, 20.18% of those people are fully vaccinated!

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Is the pandemic over yet?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

His Purple Majesty posted:

Is the pandemic over yet?

go outside and check. if you don't see any virus, you're in the clear.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/TimbersFC/status/1380294386001534979

this is the portland timbers and their slogan is ‘rose city til i die’

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

robot roll call posted:

don't worry, 20.18% of those people are fully vaccinated!

given the age skew of who is currently vaccinated, maybe shift the decimal place to the left by one.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

brugroffil posted:

given the age skew of who is currently vaccinated, maybe shift the decimal place to the left by one.

my left or numbers left

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lunch time!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apr 7, 2003

Judakel posted:

baseball wanting to kill its already dwindling fanbase. brave

To be honest anyone dumb enough to go to a game during a pandemic had one foot in the grave already.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

does this combo boost immunity?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Nobody swab this guy’s rear end to test for Covid, trust me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I am fully vaccinated and will grow only more and more powerful over the next two weeks.

:ssj:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

I've read that a big crisis like this can counterintuitively lead to easing depression because it can give people a purpose and a feeling of camaraderie too in a lovely society like ours where I personally think a lot of depression comes from people subconsciously grappling with how pointless their jobs are and how isolated they can be from traditional support networks

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Lunch time!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
lol owned
also that stuff is good but :rip: to your bowels

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am fully vaccinated and will grow only more and more powerful over the next two weeks.

:ssj:

now that youve completed the pfizer quest, what are you going for next?? the moderna set?? a j&J????

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Forseti posted:

I've read that a big crisis like this can counterintuitively lead to easing depression because it can give people a purpose and a feeling of camaraderie too in a lovely society like ours where I personally think a lot of depression comes from people subconsciously grappling with how pointless their jobs are and how isolated they can be from traditional support networks

That's pretty interesting. If that's true, you probably need a skilled political leader to carry that solidarity momentum forward.... Now excuse me while I check who the President is.

Apr 7, 2003

Forseti posted:

I also think that the vocal contingent of people who want to get their kids out of the house and back in schools and get back to the suck n' gently caress party at Applebee's are just a loud minority and that most people are happy to spend time with their families. Every single working person I spoke to who worked at a restaurant or other public-facing job back last summer was more than happy to stay home and take the Berniebucks while waiting for this to blow over. It's the petit bougies who were upset about closures, not the people in trenches.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Well, I mean it obviously did. But there are many similar models and the striking bit is how they catch the fat distribution correctly. Were I to venture a guess, people living in the Northern hemisphere probably yo-yo'ed a fair amount in weight depending on season. Anyways, it isn't really relevant to the irrelevant BMI derail.

Venuses are theorized to be women's self portraits. After childbirth, the view a woman has of her own body, top down, looks exactly like a willendorf venus. Boobs, rear end, stomach, no feet.

Apr 7, 2003

What I'm saying is that the national narrative in this country is mostly a fabrication of capital.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Thoguh posted:

...that doesn't mean these individual suicides are fake, bro.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I went to give blood for the covid antibody study I’m in and the tech said to take a baby aspirin before my 2nd shot today. I’ve heard taking Tylenol or Advil before is not a good idea, what about aspirin? Any info on that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What I'm saying is that the national narrative in this country is mostly a fabrication of capital.

yes

Apr 7, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

...that doesn't mean these individual suicides are fake, bro.

Individual suicides are being used to fuel a narrative that is fake and serves the interest of capital over people, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Individual suicides are being used to fuel a narrative that is fake and serves the interest of capital over people, though.
that's true, but like I said, you shouldn't :actually: someone who experienced that, and you also shouldn't let individual occurrences affect policy