Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
She'll turn around to hit people behind her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

We'll get to Burrowing Heaven soon enough, though not in this playthrough.

I need to make a lovely MSPaint cover for Better Call Paul: The Complete Series

"Yowie wowie! I'm on a 4 disk DVD box set!"

Picture on the back cover: Paul in a containment cell with the Training Dummy, which is beating him to death with its own head.

An Easter Egg track on the final DVD shows Paul being turned into the Training Dummy with Cogito.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

TeeQueue posted:

She'll turn around to hit people behind her.

Can confirm. She turns around, attacks, then continues on the same path she had previously.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Missed it yesterday. LC left early access three years and one day ago. The final days and endings were added the week prior and the backer abnormalities came a couple of weeks after.

https://twitter.com/Kt_notice/status/1380271959011848192

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

It simultaneously feels like a lifetime but also like it was just yesterday when I was first being pecked by Punishing Bird.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ProjMoonStudio/status/1380489149199777800

Today's LoR update is delayed

e: lol literally as I type it, it comes out

ee: holy poo poo finally a search function for passives

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 9, 2021

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Acerbatus posted:

ee: holy poo poo finally a search function for passives
PRAISE BE

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
This update scares me.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I can’t wait to cover it in thread in like, another year and a half. :unsmigghh:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really should get back to Ruina, but man those initial SotC fights are rough.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Start with Liu 1, bring fully realized netzach, and load everyone up with health hauler/jack’s passive that regens. Grab laughing powder and go for da capo and galaxy and you basically just win by virtue of being terrible at ever loving dying.

Actually that works for all of base SotC.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BisbyWorl posted:

I really should get back to Ruina, but man those initial SotC fights are rough.
Go get Gebura's page, she'll make things way easier. The Argalia fight before it is probably the easiest fight of the tier, and you can delete half of Gebura's health with the Full Stop pages.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Looks like it's out and we've got some early streams.

Hahaha that loving Roland Fight. "First you fight him as the Black Silence... Then he Distorts. Then Angelica's ghost rolls in and he Manifests E.G.O. instead, and then the Ghost goes away and he really loses his temper

I dunno if that fight's all that's in the new content because the stream I watched just gave up after getting dunked on, but holy hell they went all out there.

EDIT: Huh, I think that might have just been the Bad Ending battle, I noticed in hindsight at the start of their stream that they had some Floor Suppressions left undone.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alectai posted:

Looks like it's out and we've got some early streams.

Hahaha that loving Roland Fight. "First you fight him as the Black Silence... Then he Distorts. Then Angelica's ghost rolls in and he Manifests E.G.O. instead, and then the Ghost goes away and he really loses his temper

I dunno if that fight's all that's in the new content because the stream I watched just gave up after getting dunked on, but holy hell they went all out there.

EDIT: Huh, I think that might have just been the Bad Ending battle, I noticed in hindsight at the start of their stream that they had some Floor Suppressions left undone.
I saw a choice on whether to Reject or Forgive Roland and a bunch of CGs including the Day of the Magnet, Roland's corpse floating face-down in a sewer with a forest of weapons impaled in his back, and finally Angela in a new Megafluff form on a crystal throne speaking to the Fixer from the Ruina prototype gif. So there's probably multiple endings - win the fight and forgive, win the fight and don't forgive, lose the fight.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
drat, there's more

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress

e: people are saying the mini enrage phase in the middle of the fight with angelica where roland uses six waltzes a turn was a bug?

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 9, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The re: verb ensemble is such a bitch lol

I Was expecting another cliffhanger that fight took me by surprise

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I think this new song maybe beat And Then Is Heard No More as my favorite Mili boss theme. (Though again, that one is really good.)

Also holy poo poo the Abnormality Reverb Ensemble's designs are really gorgeous.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

t3isukone posted:

I think this new song maybe beat And Then Is Heard No More as my favorite Mili boss theme. (Though again, that one is really good.)

Also holy poo poo the Abnormality Reverb Ensemble's designs are really gorgeous.

they're so cool holy poo poo

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

t3isukone posted:

I like how Tanya appears to have just lost her shirt

So, guesses for the final battle?

I'm guessing Carmen manifests and she's pissed she couldn't steal Angela's body, or whatever she wanted to do with the whole distortion... thing.

A bit torn on the final plot revelation, because Angela going from ranting and raving about how ALL WILL DIE during Impurity intro then suddenly she's chill and regretful now seems weird. Was Hokma (balls) realization supposed to be not released until Impurity or something?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 9, 2021

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

I like how Tanya appears to have just lost her shirt

So, guesses for the final battle?

I'm guessing Carmen manifests and she's pissed she couldn't steal Angela's body, or whatever she wanted to do with the whole distortion... thing.

A bit torn on the final plot revelation, because Angela going from ranting and raving about how ALL WILL DIE during Impurity intro then suddenly she's chill and regretful now seems weird. Was Hokma (balls) realization supposed to be not released until Impurity or something?

it's about time for the head to come knocking, unless the library disappeared from the city after this episode i guess

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ugh, lost my first attempt on the distorted Ensemble because I didn't notice Argalia had healed from 1 to full stagger on entering his last stand, so I set a mass attack that was "guaranteed" to stagger him and pressed P. It did not stagger him.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also can i just point out how hilariously hosed up it is that roland finally gets his mili fight music and it's a goddamn piano piece

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reiterpallasch posted:

also can i just point out how hilariously hosed up it is that roland finally gets his mili fight music and it's a goddamn piano piece

Yeah lol it's delightfully terrible.

Also everyone else probably realized this but Roland's memory cards are specifically based off of cards from that office's book, sometimes buffed. Memory of Yun's Office is Struggle, Memory of Dawn Office is Crack of Dawn, Memory of Love Town is Wrath of Torment, etc.

Though Shi Office shows Yujin for some reason instead of Valentin despite being Extreme Edge

e:

Patch posted:

Added complete versions of the third stage battle BGMs for the Floor of Philosophy, Floor of Religion, and Abnormality battles.

:toot:

Some of the translations are kinda funny, like asking if you want to "Tackle" the new fights.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 10, 2021

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I really like the place where the story leaves Angela and Roland at the end of this update. I do hope whatever the final, final updates are don't go for any sudden tragic twists...

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

eternaldough posted:

I really like the place where the story leaves Angela and Roland at the end of this update. I do hope whatever the final, final updates are don't go for any sudden tragic twists...

I think personally that

What we're going to see next is the Head trying for a Happy Ending Override. The Good Ending Path is an explicit rejection of the City's fundamental nature, where two people with every reason to hate the other decide to try forgiving each other and moving past their grudges instead. What the Bad Endings establish is that nothing changes in the City if either Roland or Angela get their respective vengeance. Because the City is ultimately built around turning everyone into a monster too busy clawing at each other to try and rise above the muck.

People rejecting the City's fundamental nature usually isn't a problem--they get exploited or killed by those who don't and that's the end of the day. The Library is different--it's frightfully strong, and the reward of rejecting the cycle of revenge is an honest to god miracle--the people who died in the Library being restored. The Head has no choice but to stamp down on that with all of its strength, or else other strong people might start getting ideas.

We know that Impurity is the rating the Head gives to phenomena that threaten the foundations of the City, but as of the Reverb Ensemble battle, the Library is still designated a Star of the City in the narrative, and it's since been all about internal conflict and fighting.

Huh, on that note--do the options to Forgive only show up if you've done enough Suppressions?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Alectai posted:

Huh, on that note--do the options to Forgive only show up if you've done enough Suppressions?

That's what I've heard, people might just be assuming it though.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I would assume that the final story update concerns the Head, because it makes narrative sense sure, but also because we have not actually seen Jenna, Bharal and Luda yet (the people talking in the SotC intro sequence that are marked as ??? in the game proper, but were still named in the reveal trailer), and just the way those three talk marks them as almost certainly Head employees. So in a purely meta sense, I would be surprised if they make no further appearance.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

This poo poo right here? The Head cannot stand for this poo poo.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alectai posted:

Malkuth/Yesod/Netzach/Hod + Hokma for the first, Gebura/Tiphereth/Chesed + Binah for the second, yeah.

Theantero posted:

I would assume that the final story update concerns the Head, because it makes narrative sense sure, but also because we have not actually seen Jenna, Bharal and Luda yet (the people talking in the SotC intro sequence that are marked as ??? in the game proper, but were still named in the reveal trailer), and just the way those three talk marks them as almost certainly Head employees. So in a purely meta sense, I would be surprised if they make no further appearance.

My money is on a head fight, then Carmen (and possibly Ayin?), possibly with all the patron librarians bar Roland siding with her or something, and an option for a third bad end by just joining with her. We still haven't addressed the voice all the people who become distortions (or in Xiao's case, get EGO) hear..

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 10, 2021

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I totally get why a confrontatoin with the Head would make sense, but at this stage, after so many personal vendenttas and characters arcs have reached their peak all one after another, throwing in a fight with what would basically new (or at least yet to be properly introduced) characters for the usual kind of rumble would feel extremely weird to me.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I would assume that there is nothing usual about the Head.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Theantero posted:

I would assume that there is nothing usual about the Head.

It's pretty much a sign of how far you've come, that the Head finally recognizes you as A Problem.

Even setting that aside though, there's still putting the legacy of Carmen and Ayin to rest. Their method was corrupt (Which means that there was no way it was going to have a good outcome in the end), but the dream was a good one. In releasing her control over the things the Library has collected--Angela has finally put the original dream back in play--which means the Library just became a challenge to the City's greater 'Order' as opposed to something that can be measured and quantified in the greater system of misery perpetuating misery to keep people too broken down to question why things have to be that way.

There's A reckoning on the way, this update seemed to be about the 'Penultimate realization that makes the final showdown something the heroes can win' rather than the final climax itself. Because the star character of Ruina Is The City and what it turns people into, and if that isn't addressed in the final act, the story is ultimately incomplete. You can choose to not engage with its systems, but that doesn't mean it'll just let you walk away, you know?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Alectai posted:

Because the star character of Ruina Is The City and what it turns people into, and if that isn't addressed in the final act, the story is ultimately incomplete. You can choose to not engage with its systems, but that doesn't mean it'll just let you walk away, you know?

Oh, definitely. It's even literally stated in LobCorp that the story of the City can never reach its close as long as the Head, the Eye and the Claw (or in other words, the protectors of the status quo) stand.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Acerbatus posted:

We still haven't addressed the voice all the people who become distortions (or in Xiao's case, get EGO) hear..[/spoiler]

We know from Hokma's realization that Carmen, as the Voice, has been intentionally driving people to Distort, and selecting the guests that would receive the Invitation. We also know that Angela actually did listen to her voice at the end of LobCorp, so the Library is in fact Angela's Distortion.

Angela's bad ending reveals that, despite presumably having a fully human body now, she and the other Sephirot won't - or can't leave the Library. Meanwhile, Roland's bad ending shows Angela's body reverting to a machine after he kills her, which implies that even IF she were free to leave the Library, Angela and all the residents of the Library would still be entirely dependent on the Light to maintain their physical forms.

From this, we can piece together that, at best, the One Book doesn't actually work as advertised. Why did Carmen cause Angela to Distort, and for what purpose was she guiding her to gather all the light? There's definitely something shady going on here, and I suspect next week's endgame update will probably involve Carmen finally making her appearance now that Angela's broken free from her script...

Theantero posted:

Oh, definitely. It's even literally stated in LobCorp that the story of the City can never reach its close as long as the Head, the Eye and the Claw (or in other words, the protectors of the status quo) stand.

I actually think we won't get to fight (or fully beat) the Head, at least not in LoR anyways. Depending on when in the timeline LC:B/LC2 take place in, the status quo of the City must be preserved. Although I suppose it IS possible, if the new games actually branch off of Ruina's bad endings instead of the true ending.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

eternaldough posted:

I totally get why a confrontatoin with the Head would make sense, but at this stage, after so many personal vendenttas and characters arcs have reached their peak all one after another, throwing in a fight with what would basically new (or at least yet to be properly introduced) characters for the usual kind of rumble would feel extremely weird to me.

That sounds right, tbh. Finale for this feels like a Carmen/Ayin thing, and that confrontation is set in the future. In a sequel? Just an uncertain ending? Who knows!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Angela getting to kick Ayin and Carmen in their big dumb faces would be nice.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Why would it happen though? In the good ending Angela shined the light on the city almost completely (Roland pulled her out so she didn't disappear with it), Ayin's goal (and by extension Carmen's) was reached.

Maybe you could have a bit about putting Carmen out of her misery as a nervous system that was complicit in Ayin's deeds without the ability to act for those 10,000 years, but trying her on all the suffering caused by her actions post Lob Corp feels immensely hypocritical given Angela's actions and all the bodies that she left in her wake.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Acerbatus posted:

As cathartic as it would be, Angela forgiving Ayin and Carmen would be a far more powerful move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mersenne posted:

We know from Hokma's realization that Carmen, as the Voice, has been intentionally driving people to Distort, and selecting the guests that would receive the Invitation. We also know that Angela actually did listen to her voice at the end of LobCorp, so the Library is in fact Angela's Distortion.

Angela's bad ending reveals that, despite presumably having a fully human body now, she and the other Sephirot won't - or can't leave the Library. Meanwhile, Roland's bad ending shows Angela's body reverting to a machine after he kills her, which implies that even IF she were free to leave the Library, Angela and all the residents of the Library would still be entirely dependent on the Light to maintain their physical forms.

From this, we can piece together that, at best, the One Book doesn't actually work as advertised. Why did Carmen cause Angela to Distort, and for what purpose was she guiding her to gather all the light? There's definitely something shady going on here, and I suspect next week's endgame update will probably involve Carmen finally making her appearance now that Angela's broken free from her script...

I actually think we won't get to fight (or fully beat) the Head, at least not in LoR anyways. Depending on when in the timeline LC:B/LC2 take place in, the status quo of the City must be preserved. Although I suppose it IS possible, if the new games actually branch off of Ruina's bad endings instead of the true ending.

I'm not sure Carmen has a secret evil plan, my guess is that she's been feeding the library and recollecting the light just to take another shot at distributing it properly. Maybe even unconsciously. Just a god of the city unwittingly going through the only motions it remembers. The distortion process, when people seem to hear her voice, feels like her function as "the bucket" running out of control. Like exploding the heads of random people around the city, as described early on in Distortion Detective, doesn't really serve any goal I can imagine she'd have.

Anyway I definitely don't expect to unseat the Head in this game. Just escaping alive would be a win.