Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because otherwise they have to talk about Matt.

Or repeat the same propaganda hoping it lands:
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1380174620192555011

I can tell just by looking at this douchebike that he's probably got skeletons in the closet somewhere, so I'm hoping he gets caught up in a scandal five minutes ago.

e- I'll put $5 on crack habit.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Laranzu posted:

I was a member but then cancelled when the national org licked trump's junk on stage.

Well, yeah, the whole thing is fashy as hell. I just think some of my vet buddies and I could hijack their club leadership to have a private bar where we can have $2 beers and watch sportball. It's not like the local boozer run by a small business petty tyrant psycho is any better in terms of ethical consumption

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CBJSprague24 posted:

Or repeat the same propaganda hoping it lands:

I can tell just by looking at this douchebike that he's probably got skeletons in the closet somewhere, so I'm hoping he gets caught up in a scandal five minutes ago.

e- I'll put $5 on crack habit.

I'll bet on 'so racist it makes the GOP blink'

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Buy 5 acres north of Fort Collins, put up a barn bar, make it vets only and call it The Farm Upstate. A place for vets to play and run free in their elder years.

I'm joking but kinda not really. Buying plots of land and having a communal grounds to gather would be helpful as gently caress. Buy enough land, and you could build something useful, like a transient/homeless vet small home community, donation and distribution center, gently caress, even just a softball diamond to compete against other Farms Upstate.

Officers welcome, but not for leadership roles. We all know where that would get us.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Amazon employees in Alabama voted to not form a union.

In other news, Americans are running out of noses to cut off and faces to spite.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

RFC2324 posted:

I'll bet on 'so racist it makes the GOP blink'

He got that "lean back and be smug because I can get away with everything" look, so I'm not sure if it will be a horrifying but unsurprising amount of racism, or plain old pedo poo poo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

boop the snoot posted:

In other news, Americans are running out of noses to cut off and faces to spite.

How long until everyone who attempted to organize is at least fired, if not run out of town.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Buy 5 acres north of Fort Collins, put up a barn bar, make it vets only and call it The Farm Upstate. A place for vets to play and run free in their elder years.

I'm joking but kinda not really. Buying plots of land and having a communal grounds to gather would be helpful as gently caress. Buy enough land, and you could build something useful, like a transient/homeless vet small home community, donation and distribution center, gently caress, even just a softball diamond to compete against other Farms Upstate.

Officers welcome, but not for leadership roles. We all know where that would get us.

Really, a vet bar/halfway house would probably be one of the best ideas to happen to the military

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

US Berder Patrol posted:

I think I got lucky with finding one that's right next to my buddy's house, and we're in a community with lots of GI Bill-educated GWOT vets. We've discussed dragging a bunch of our non-chud veteran friends into the place and taking over the machinery of it, which indeed seems like what the old chuds want us to do. In all honesty, I bet we have enough Front Range gippers to have our own literal clubhouse lol

edit: I mean a clubhouse at some point in the future where it won't just turn into a covid var P1 cluster

I’d be down for this, but I looked it up and apparently I’m not eligible to join because my enlistment was spent stateside :rolleyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

Really, a vet bar/halfway house would probably be one of the best ideas to happen to the military

Reason I lean to a large plot property is what you can eventually do with it. Even if that's just giving a handful of vets a chance at some sort of housing.

I mean, city and county planning (in lots of places, not all) are likely to give in on some poo poo if you had an org buy 10 acres on the edge of town to put up 50-75 tiny homes (500-1000sqft cabins) for transient and homeless vets.

I really wonder what kind of grant or gov money you could get if you bought a motel (with bar lounge) and devoted it to transient and homeless vets. Find a motel on the outskirts of a city, get chummy with some VA people, get a gov check and some city/county tax leniency, start rehabbing some old Motel 6 to suit vet needs.

So what's a dying motel company? Knights Inn? Super 8?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Internet Wizard posted:

I’d be down for this, but I looked it up and apparently I’m not eligible to join because my enlistment was spent stateside :rolleyes:

My buddy got in with his GWOT service medal, I'm pretty sure. He was a smallboy sailor his whole hitch, so you don't need actual campaign medal service anymore

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
DMX now actually dead, no longer un-dead.

https://twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/1380555588116090885?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So much for that pacemaker joke.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Reason I lean to a large plot property is what you can eventually do with it. Even if that's just giving a handful of vets a chance at some sort of housing.

I mean, city and county planning (in lots of places, not all) are likely to give in on some poo poo if you had an org buy 10 acres on the edge of town to put up 50-75 tiny homes (500-1000sqft cabins) for transient and homeless vets.

I really wonder what kind of grant or gov money you could get if you bought a motel (with bar lounge) and devoted it to transient and homeless vets. Find a motel on the outskirts of a city, get chummy with some VA people, get a gov check and some city/county tax leniency, start rehabbing some old Motel 6 to suit vet needs.

If you spied one at the right price or had the backing you could buy one of those abandoned towns and make your own drat rules, mister mayor

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I know this is getting way off tangent, but...

If you set it up as like, a dual sided club(half is vets only, the other half is memberships sold to the public) you could do alot more to be self sufficient, you would have more jobs to provide(need more than twice as many bartenders, plus whatever support staff), and it would likely have pretty large community support, even if you are openly left leaning (maybe even more support in some places). It being vet oriented, coming up with startup funding should be pretty easy between grants and crowdfunding.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

well yeah its called veterans of foreign wars

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

That's why you layin' on your back, lookin' at the roof of the church
Preacher tellin' the truth and it hurts

:rip:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PookBear posted:

I need to choose whether to put Iraq or Afghanistan Vet on my license plate so I can get out of speeding tickets.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hekk posted:

I need to choose whether to put Iraq or Afghanistan Vet on my license plate so I can get out of speeding tickets.

Can you get one for the front and one for the back?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ get whatever DV/HV plate you qualify for. In some states, that means free registration every year (love Colorado).

Most of those little towns sell for north of a million, and those below are remnants of dead mine towns out here. Maybe one wobbly standing structure.

The idea would be more leaning on a place in the community for vets, not an entire town of us. Edge of town for convenience, social benefit, access to employment. A dead motel makes some sense in that vein, but a better path would be partnering with a local mill and build those swedish or swiss cabins that are basically stacked lumber for the community on a decent sized plot, if a gov check of substantial money can be thrown in.

Lean on membership of a growing org to build the houses. Get old man President Carter out there to whack a few nails and draw press for donation dollars. Take labor and financial donations alike to keep the bills paid and lights on for the vets, roll bar profits into the fund keeping it afloat (after paying staff livable wages). Do it near a mil base and you can probably guilt engineer battalions into donating time and materials.

There's gonna be holes in the idea you can poke at, it's not like I'd actually do anything like this. I don't know the people in the right places to squeeze for vetbux.

RFC2324, a mixed membership club would probably be really helpful, that's a good idea.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 9, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DMX and Prince Phillip both died again on the same day.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

In WA state if you're a Medal of Honor recipient you don't have to renew your tabs. If you're a Pearl Harbor survivor you gotta pay the tab fee, but they waive the license plate fee. I wonder if you got the medal while defending Pearl Harbor if they'd make a combo plate.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Internet Wizard posted:

Merchant mariners have consistently been denied eligibility, its more about service elitism than anything else.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Good night sweet prince,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJ7eCiWY7M

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
TN has never expiring DV plates if you're 100%, anything below gets a HV plate and a yearly renewal fee.

Colorado, you pay your taxes and like, $7 for the DV plate itself, then the sticker just shows up yearly with a zeroed out bill the month before the tag expires. I paid about $350 in county taxes on my current car and the sticker is free from then on. I think you need 50% VA disability minimum to get a DV tag here.

Tickets are still a thing with those tags, I got 10mph over ticket in a speed trap with a TN HV tag. Dude did say he would've let it go, but the trap was a department event (ticket drive lol). I just drive at 5mph over now.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Merchant mariners have consistently been denied eligibility, its more about service elitism than anything else.

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hahaha

boop the snoot posted:

Less funny, imo

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 9, 2021

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PookBear posted:

:smug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A poo poo ton of them died in WW2.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have medal plates to get out of tickets.

It loving works.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

A poo poo ton of them died in WW2.

Yes, but we're talking about the forever war era.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1380449082938900480

The surrender at Appomattox Courthouse to be specific. But it got the ball rolling.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have medal plates to get out of tickets.

It loving works.

Yeah, that's the only reason I'd get them but I'm still leery of associating my car with military/vet culture. My DL has a veteran identifier on it so while it won't stop me from getting pulled over it might help once they're actually reading it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

PookBear posted:

Yes, but we're talking about the forever war era.

posted:

its more about service elitism than anything else.

Your war wasn't a real war, you can't join my club. This was literally the reason for the founding of VFW.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Never knew how much i needed it until i received it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hosed up that an organization for vets that fought overseas requires you to 1) be a vet 2) have fought overseas.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PookBear posted:

hosed up that an organization for vets that fought overseas requires you to 1) be a vet 2) have fought overseas.

They limit it to combat veterans only?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

They limit it to combat veterans only?

Do you have to have been in combat to get the inherent resolve campaign medal, or the Iraq Campaign Medal?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They used to, but I know I have a cousin that deployed army NG to Germany for 9 months while the unit they filled in for went to Iraq. He was in the local vfw by 21, but didn't become a member until 24 or so. Might be a geographic thing, that part of Illinois is slowly dying.

Iirc when it mattered, campaign medal was sufficient because it's typically universal, but a DD214 is usually used because it lists all that fun deployment poo poo. I don't think it matters much any more.

Campaign medal is for service in theater, not direct combat. There are a lot of other awards for that and a whole bunch of sour britches from CABs handed out in Iraq and Afghanistan a decade ago.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PookBear posted:

You should probably read up on the US merchant marine.