Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

BurningBeard posted:

Hm. That makes me want to give it a pass. drat. I have a normal switch. Got any idea how it would scale up? My eyesight is too lovely to test this with my dollars.

Tiny font needs to go in general, that or make interfaces scalable.

Glancing around a bit, on a tv it should be fine, in tablet mode it would probably be pretty rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fart simpson posted:

is there any other cool stuff to do as an archmage that i'm not thinking of yet? because i have all the items needed for an ultra ending and i'm trying to exploit this archmage stuff as much as possible before going in for the kill

Wish for "emperor moloch". If you live, you'll know you've made it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Finally cleared covenant 25 in Monster Train, and I have to say: Slay the Spire walked so Monster Train could run. It's so much fun randoming the factions and finding combos and synergies. There's much more variety than Slay the Spire. Even at the hardest difficulty level, there are so many viable strategies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hell yeah, Monster Train rules.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LifeLynx posted:

Finally cleared covenant 25 in Monster Train, and I have to say: Slay the Spire walked so Monster Train could run. It's so much fun randoming the factions and finding combos and synergies. There's much more variety than Slay the Spire. Even at the hardest difficulty level, there are so many viable strategies.

I'm not sure if there's that many viable strategies or even variety (considering that there's more factions than StS characters), but I do think it stands on it's own even if I think a lot of the expansion stuff threw what balance there was out of whack. Like the power level of everything is way more swingy-you can get starting card combos that are basically game ending instantly or you'll pull some ridiculous combo of artifact/card right off the start and cruise to victory (or you just get apex imp, good grief that card is insane). I really wish they'd limit the available card pool for the starting random cards besides just excluding rares. But I've quit messing around with the new faction and have been grinding expert challenges again to try to get the card unlock and I've basically just ignored going at the last divinity. I got a couple cov25 kills, and while I've had some decks that I knew would've beat it (seriously, apex imp? I had that dude with like 18000 attack power and 1200 armor or something) I think it really forces you to absolutely break the game, and it kinda negates one of the big changes they added I liked in the expansion (instead of top floor having dazed and random floor getting less space, now top floor adds emberdrain and mid floor always has less space).

Again, that probably comes off a lot more negative than my intent, as after my last post where I said I wasn't sure if I'd keep playing I've probably put in 20 hours into expansion stuff so the game's plenty fun. It's just an entirely different experience than StS I think.

And speaking of deckbuilders, I haven't seen anyone mention Hadean Tactics. So it's basically a StS/Monster Train/Autobattler hybrid-you get a champion unit and some generic starters, but unlike Monster Train your units start on a grid. Your card effects are things like shielding your units, status effects, copying, direct damage, etc. You draw a hand, play your effects, then there's a 7 second fight between your dudes and the enemy that's basically like an autobattler. Units can get upgrades, there's artifacts that you get, the formula is largely the same. But I found the autobattle aspect to be pretty cool and allowed for some play. That said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it at this point as it's early access and still feels very early access-there's still only one champion to choose, limited card pool/unit choices, etc. I think the core gameplay is good enough to offer something different from the games it's obviously based on depending on how it develops tho so figured I'd bring it to people's attention.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 5, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jedit posted:

Wish for "emperor moloch". If you live, you'll know you've made it.

i will soon. in the meantime i autohotkeyed this stuff.

now this is rogueliking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZfxXVwq9E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qukby6plSKQ

hours of tedium to arrive at a totally different game than meleeing orcs in corridors

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 5, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Completed Astronarch corruption20 last night :woop:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Foo posted:

Completed Astronarch corruption20 last night :woop:

Sell me on this game. I saw someone streaming it today and it was ugly as sin.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Sell me on this game. I saw someone streaming it today and it was ugly as sin.

It’s a fun party based autobattler with great music and a one-person dev team. Successful runs take 45 minutes or less. It’s challenging but not absurdly difficult.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Since someone was talking about it a couple of pages back, Rift Wizard is 20% off right now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, Risk of Rain 2 is harder than I remembered! I played a bunch of games today (after not having played since release) and only in two I got to the second-to-last map. Maybe I lost my skills, maybe it got harder with the update, maybe I'm misremembering my own skills at the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

REM Cycles a neat looking Mystery Dungeon-ish game just released Solid pixel art

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Leap of Fate is sale for £2.99 on steam at the moment, a really excellent action roguelite I don't remember ever seeing mentioned in this hallowed thread.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/59043/curse-of-the-dead-cells

Dead Cells in Curse of the Dead Gods

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
For anyone like me who's been wanting a fantasy dungeon looting ARPG with a control scheme that isn't derivative of 90s Diablo, The Slormancer started early access on Steam this week. It's a bit light on variety in terms of maps and enemies at the moment, but the skill system seems really robust. Overall, the game looks like it has a ton of potential. Great music too and a fun, lighthearted story.

Early game is a bit slow, in terms of not letting you do cool things right away. But once you start unlocking new skills and modifiers it picks ups significantly. I'm about 6 hours and and barely scratched the surface. Some cool builds I'm not even close to doing yet: 1, 2, 3

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Chrono Ark has so many features that make me want to love it, but I'm not sure it respects my time enough. 1.5 - 2 hours a run is slightly high, especially with a pretty brutal difficulty once you hit the 3rd and 4th maps. I'd say a full 2/3 of my builds get *crushed* by the 3rd map for not being tuned finely enough and the rest get dashed against the 4th. Only one brave group out of about 16 or so has gotten to the final boss and THAT group got him within 40 hps of death (which was a brutal way to go out).

I am all for tips on speeding up the game and/or mastering its difficulty. I want to stick with it (have all characters unlocked except for the two "Curse" characters who I can't figure out how to open) but MAAAAAAAAN, man.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Chrono Ark has so many features that make me want to love it, but I'm not sure it respects my time enough. 1.5 - 2 hours a run is slightly high, especially with a pretty brutal difficulty once you hit the 3rd and 4th maps. I'd say a full 2/3 of my builds get *crushed* by the 3rd map for not being tuned finely enough and the rest get dashed against the 4th. Only one brave group out of about 16 or so has gotten to the final boss and THAT group got him within 40 hps of death (which was a brutal way to go out).

I am all for tips on speeding up the game and/or mastering its difficulty. I want to stick with it (have all characters unlocked except for the two "Curse" characters who I can't figure out how to open) but MAAAAAAAAN, man.

Last two characters are unlocked by beating the game, starting a new run, buying the special package on level 2 (or 3), and killing 3 bosses using that gear.

Every level starting with the second have secret chests with great loot that you reveal by using Lifting Scroll on certain parts of the man. Usually near an encounter and surrounded by empty tiles.

Also I highly recommend either grinding out or cheating the M-word because some of those bonuses are way too strong.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

For anyone like me who's been wanting a fantasy dungeon looting ARPG with a control scheme that isn't derivative of 90s Diablo, The Slormancer started early access on Steam this week. It's a bit light on variety in terms of maps and enemies at the moment, but the skill system seems really robust. Overall, the game looks like it has a ton of potential. Great music too and a fun, lighthearted story.

Early game is a bit slow, in terms of not letting you do cool things right away. But once you start unlocking new skills and modifiers it picks ups significantly. I'm about 6 hours and and barely scratched the surface. Some cool builds I'm not even close to doing yet: 1, 2, 3

I always wanted a good Diablo-style game but with direct controls (I always thought the mouse driven gameply in a game with a single character was dumb). However, I understand the few Diablo-clones with that control scheme are more in the mediocre range. I wonder, did I miss any game?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the console version of d3 has really good controller support but they never ported that option to pc as far as i know

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Awesome! posted:

the console version of d3 has really good controller support but they never ported that option to pc as far as i know

Yeah. I finally put real time into D3 when it came to the switch. Otherwise every time I tried it I bounced off hard. Direct control of your character makes the experience so much better IMO

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jack Trades posted:

Also I highly recommend either grinding out or cheating the M-word because some of those bonuses are way too strong.

I have no idea what the M word is. Spoil me (or share how to cheat it?)

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Trials of Fire just left early access. It's really good. It's currently 10% off and the price will increase to 19.99$ on April 16th.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I have no idea what the M word is. Spoil me (or share how to cheat it?)

Metaprogression. You can use Cheat Engine to just give you more of that currency.

Walh Hara posted:

Trials of Fire just left early access. It's really good. It's currently 10% off and the price will increase to 19.99$ on April 16th.

Can confirm. Trials of Fire is really good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It was pointed out before but once again a lot of the stuff you get from metaprogression is very gimmicky to be useful most runs. The unlocks are a pain but only imporant stuff is your amulet and the party selection increase.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

It was pointed out before but once again a lot of the stuff you get from metaprogression is very gimmicky to be useful most runs. The unlocks are a pain but only imporant stuff is your amulet and the party selection increase.

You mean the guaranteed rare skillbook, purple gear and a bunch of free consumables aren't meaningful?
Rare Skillbooks in particular make HUGE difference.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I think Nuclear Throne and Hades broke me from enjoying run based action games with hour plus runs. Especially when a game has long runs that you can't save and resume in. The fifteen to thirty minute run games are where it's at.

Turn based roguelikes tho, hell yeah, give me that 10 hour Caves of Qud run any day.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I forgot the rare skillbook, but the lucy and generic skillbooks and the purple gear aren't major boons yeah, and that is the majority of the unlocks. You are not going to be suddenly winning way more games with those unlocks.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 9, 2021

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Truspeaker posted:

I think Nuclear Throne and Hades broke me from enjoying run based action games with hour plus runs. Especially when a game has long runs that you can't save and resume in. The fifteen to thirty minute run games are where it's at.

Turn based roguelikes tho, hell yeah, give me that 10 hour Caves of Qud run any day.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/524640/Asura_Vengeance_Edition/ Is Buried Gem Goodness, if eclectic---incredibly "starving, scrappy indie" given the how and where.

45-hour per run, roughly~

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I always wanted a good Diablo-style game but with direct controls (I always thought the mouse driven gameply in a game with a single character was dumb). However, I understand the few Diablo-clones with that control scheme are more in the mediocre range. I wonder, did I miss any game?

I played through the entirety of Grim Dawn several times on controller

Last Epoch has passable controller support (should get better in a few patches, it's playable now)

There's one other one I'm forgetting...

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Is it Victor Vran?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ah Map posted:

Is it Victor Vran?

No, though that game does have full controller support!

It annoys me that PoE has garbage controller support (even on console, heh), but that game is an actual RSI nightmare top to bottom so that's on brand

Van Helsing has solid controller support but I always found that game super jank

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

chronicon claims it has full controller support but i have never tried it myself

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

chronicon claims it has full controller support but i have never tried it myself

It does! Was just playing that a few days ago. Trying to play it in 4k stretches the ui scaling pretty hard :v:

(... what, I'm on a looter kick, don't judge me)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1380690880089235457

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Walh Hara posted:

I recommend Trials too.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Does Invisible, Inc. fit in here? I just picked it up on Switch and am loving it. Currently doing Experienced runs but haven't gotten all the way through a campaign yet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love invisble inc, its so finely tuned and I just click with its logic. My favorite Klei game (tho I haven't played everything of theirs) and just one of my favorite games of all time.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 10, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did they ever expand on it, or does it still end on that massive cliffhanger?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Broken Cog posted:

Did they ever expand on it, or does it still end on that massive cliffhanger?

What cliffhanger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Truspeaker posted:

Apropos of this, I'm feeling kind of burned out on Hades; it's a great game but I've reached the point where I have a bunch more plot that I want to happen but I don't really want to do more runs, especially since a winning run is about an hour long realtime and most of my runs are wins now.