Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

gwrtheyrn posted:

So I'm looking for a new bike that's pretty specific. Particularly I'm looking for a bike with:
  • 1x groupset
I was hoping I could find something around $1500, but there doesn't seem to be much that actually matches exactly what I'm looking for.
I find that 1x is rarely in the lower tiers of a model lineup where 1500 is a reasonable price.
Instead you'll get overcharged on janky 2x9 budget groupsets.

The cheapest 1x you're likely to see is Rival non-hydro, and almost nobody specs it cuz of the stigma against cable brakes.
Breezer Radar has one with Apex non-hydro: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/adventure/radar/radar-x
will have to downsize the tires.

You could try to bring your own 1x groupset to this?
https://www.johnnysportstore.com/2019-Specialized-Sequoia-Road-Bike?search=specialized%20sequoia&category_id=0

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I find that 1x is rarely in the lower tiers of a model lineup where 1500 is a reasonable price.
Instead you'll get overcharged on janky 2x9 budget groupsets.

The cheapest 1x you're likely to see is Rival non-hydro, and almost nobody specs it cuz of the stigma against cable brakes.
Breezer Radar has one with Apex non-hydro: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/adventure/radar/radar-x
will have to downsize the tires.

You could try to bring your own 1x groupset to this?
https://www.johnnysportstore.com/2019-Specialized-Sequoia-Road-Bike?search=specialized%20sequoia&category_id=0

I was also looking at the surly straggler, marin nicasio+, kona rove dl, and state bicycles 4130. I could do the same with the state cycles for a bit less but I'd guess the quality/looks are probably worse than the specialized

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

The more I spend at Wiggle, the less likely it seems to be that they throw Haribo into the box :(

friendship ended with wiggle

now sigma is my best friend

My Sigma Sports order had no haribo either, so now I don't know where to shop any more 🤷‍♂️

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

I sell Marin. The Nicasio+ is kinda meh. Get a different bike.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Thinking about getting a look 695 that looks in decent nick (or maybe a colnago c60 i've just seen) . Whats the best site for checking if you can transfer your fit? geometry geek just compares frames

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 9, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Thinking about getting a look 695 that looks in decent nick (or maybe a colnago c60 i've just seen) . Whats the best site for checking if you can transfer your fit? geometry geek just compares frames

You can try 99spokes. Are you trying to compare like stem length and setback, etc?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You can try 99spokes. Are you trying to compare like stem length and setback, etc?

yeah i basically want to double check i can transfer my fit to the frames. The look is XXL but only slightly bigger then my current 58cm frame and the colnago is 54h which looks a touch smaller

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

You can build a wheel on $50 of cheap/used tooling or $300 of name brand gear. Diminishing returns.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The current kona rove dl is steel, 1x rival, but mechanical discs and 650b wheels. 1699.

https://www.konaworld.com/rove_dl.cfm

Getting hard to find though. My shop is out of them and probably won't get any more this year.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

jamal posted:

The current kona rove dl is steel, 1x rival, but mechanical discs and 650b wheels. 1699.

https://www.konaworld.com/rove_dl.cfm

Getting hard to find though. My shop is out of them and probably won't get any more this year.

I bought this exact bike back in October. I love it. It's not 700c, but I've never had 700c wheels on a bike so I don't have a frame of reference, but I'm short (5'8") and mine is a size 52 so the smaller wheels feel appropriate.

It's smooth, chunky in the right way, easy to ride. It's not particularly fast on roads, and I have to take all the single track trails slow, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

yeah i basically want to double check i can transfer my fit to the frames. The look is XXL but only slightly bigger then my current 58cm frame and the colnago is 54h which looks a touch smaller

Are there any fit settings that are extreme for you? If you're not slammed on the seatpost, not full back / full front on the saddle, and not running a 1cm stem, +/-1cm diff on stack/reach should be well coverable by tweaks in small parts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Are there any fit settings that are extreme for you? If you're not slammed on the seatpost, not full back / full front on the saddle, and not running a 1cm stem, +/-1cm diff on stack/reach should be well coverable by tweaks in small parts.

Yeah I've had a look and everything is +/- 10mm so I've bid on the colnago. I've got a super record EPS groupset to go with it and I'll probably go full Italian and get campag disc wheels to go with it.

My last road bike has lasted me 15 years and I've just got my consultant (attending for people in the us) post so this would be my silly bike for at least the next decade.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Yeah I've had a look and everything is +/- 10mm so I've bid on the colnago. I've got a super record EPS groupset to go with it and I'll probably go full Italian and get campag disc wheels to go with it.

My last road bike has lasted me 15 years and I've just got my consultant (attending for people in the us) post so this would be my silly bike for at least the next decade.

Wanna see pics if you build this!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pubedoc made it!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

meltie posted:

My Sigma Sports order had no haribo either, so now I don't know where to shop any more 🤷‍♂️

UK Haribo prices went up like 50% in the past month or so, maybe they're too pricey for them now

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
TTrash made its competition debut yesterday with a 20k TT

Finished in 27:22 and won overall out of 19 entries, and second overall on the course segment. :toot:

This is the last 20ft or so before the finish, feel my death :3:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

WHOS RIDING BIKES THIS WEEKEND?!?!?!?!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

Finished in 27:22 and won overall out of 19 entries, and second overall on the course segment. :toot:

Nice.

That’s crazy you won by 2 minutes but came in second on the segment. How far behind were you from #1?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

numberoneposter posted:

Not me, unfortunately :smith:

e: technically yes, I am, but as a means of transport, so I guess that counts!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

how much time you think you left on the table with those incredibly un-aero socks?

and short fingered gloves??

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No preying mantis arms either. At least 30 seconds lost on that alone.

I loving love everything about that trash TT bike though. I just know it pissed people off that were 1st on that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Nice.

That’s crazy you won by 2 minutes but came in second on the segment. How far behind were you from #1?

https://www.strava.com/segments/20805306

1:01 behind the KOM, I think I'll be able to get it with a bit more favorable conditions. I guess the winds were opposite of what they usually are there, it's usually finishing with a tailwind.

bicievino posted:

how much time you think you left on the table with those incredibly un-aero socks?

and short fingered gloves??
I'll wear my supcaz socks and gloves next time just for you. 🥰

serious gaylord posted:

No preying mantis arms either. At least 30 seconds lost on that alone.

I loving love everything about that trash TT bike though. I just know it pissed people off that were 1st on that.
Nope no mantis arms, it's fit to UCI regs.

Someone did comment on the chainring semi-sarcastically though "55t huh, planning on going fast?"
"Yes" :colbert:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

e.pilot posted:

e.pilot posted:

Someone did comment on the chainring semi-sarcastically though "55t huh, planning on going fast?"

bloody well done, congratulations!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

e.pilot posted:

https://www.strava.com/segments/20805306

1:01 behind the KOM, I think I'll be able to get it with a bit more favorable conditions. I guess the winds were opposite of what they usually are there, it's usually finishing with a tailwind.

I’m an idiot-I thought that was just a segment made for that day-not an all-time record.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

e.pilot posted:

Should have looked at their bike and said "do you plan on going slow?"

:smug:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

No trash panda kit, 2/10

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

meltie posted:

Looks like they accidentally sent you Stan's instead of a good sealant.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
So I got on a fixie (that I put together) for the first time in what, 15 years? More?

The best. Holy poo poo.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Looks like they accidentally sent you Stan's instead of a good sealant.

I like the PVA taste, it reminds me of school

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

I’m an idiot-I thought that was just a segment made for that day-not an all-time record.

:laugh:

numberoneposter posted:

Should have looked at their bike and said "do you plan on going slow?"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Not much bikes for me this weekend but I had an awesome ride last night. Highlights included:

Riding cross bikes fast in sketchy places.

Getting rained on in +1c temps and going so numb I couldn't feel my hands or my balls.

Watching one of my group members get attacked by a goose and punch it while it was in midair :honk:

A+ would go on a group cross ride again.

Got next weekend off and there's a weekly gravel ride I keep getting invites to so I know what I'm doing and it involves punchy steep af climbs. As long as the snow melts by then, we're expecting up to 20cm Monday so I'm probably riding the fatbike to work.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

It's been raining in Minnesota most of the week but tomorrow is supposed to be clear. I am going to take the Space Horse out and get some miles on the busted up country roads out here. I found some gravel so I think I am going to see where that goes and see how my rear end holds up without bibs for 15 miles or so.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

My lowball offer on the colnago c60 frame got accepted :getin:

Now for the budget for this build to spiral out of control and then I can reach my final form of crawling round Richmond park in RCC kit on a bike that's too good for me.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

jamal posted:

Well I got my local shop to order a frame, so I'm doing this dumb thing. Sounds like I'll be waiting until the end of the summer or early fall, but that's fine. This is coming out a use it or lose it budget, so I just need some of it to land this year.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

numberoneposter posted:

YES!

I'm spoilt for choice! I've got new pawls on the road bike, and i've fixed the slow leak on the grabble bike!

Getting up early to ride to the cafe with the good doughnuts, i've been looking forward to this all week!

...wake up on Saturday morning and I can already hear the problem before I even get out of bed... 🤬

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 10, 2021

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

e.pilot posted:

Should have ridden Dick Wood!
Seriously well done!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mikemelbrooks posted:

Should have ridden Dick Wood!
Seriously well done!

Thanks, I’ll bring dick wood out there sometime this year.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison

For anyone who needs something similar in future, this tool is really nice for front ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Got this wheel in November 2019 (a replacement for the one I crashed at nationals) and never got a chance to glue it up before the pandemic.

Feels nice to finally be getting it ready to roll.