Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Ning continues to wreck water boss. Zhong Li shield also made all the "do X to escape dmg" mechanics unnecessary and I just blasted until it was dead.

Mine's a glass cannon like my Fischl and it was a tough fight because Ning's Jade Screen can't form on the platform for some reason so I was missing out on so much burst damage. Actually fighting the Oceanid itself instead of all the water summons was way less nightmarish though.

One more thing to add to the complaint surveys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as much as i could use a restock on exp, not really feeling this event. the boss is too busy flipping and flying around it just feels like a tedious slog even compared to regular Oceanid. i'll just take the 5 free runs and work on other stuff.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm unreasonably excited about green xp books because I hate wasting XP when I get to an ascension level.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Corla Plankun posted:

I'm unreasonably excited about green xp books because I hate wasting XP when I get to an ascension level.

Glad to know it's not just me!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

feeling kinda dumb, dont understand how that Rapid Current swirl zone works, and I supposed to just wash the debuff off there and then gently caress off?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you stand on it it'll raise you up out of the way of the beam and you can do ranged attacks sometimes. Probably all the time if you have Ningguang.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

In theory anyway, it only seems to actually work about half the time.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Are both crafting table unusable for anyone else?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

make sure you're not still in co-op mode (f2) from doing the boss

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

frajaq posted:

feeling kinda dumb, dont understand how that Rapid Current swirl zone works, and I supposed to just wash the debuff off there and then gently caress off?

Corla Plankun posted:

If you stand on it it'll raise you up out of the way of the beam and you can do ranged attacks sometimes. Probably all the time if you have Ningguang.

Or in short it’s the Albedovator but as bossfight mechanic, since the actual Albedovator can’t be used here (again, like other Geo constructs)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's a drat thing to try out some of the new quest things only to find out that you're blocked from doing so, because you haven't completed some required world quests.

that's my story with this drat game.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Gotta be honest, I'm not really digging this new Pokemon region. All the mons are water types, the competitive scene's gonna be super boring.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hello, it's me, the absolute fool who never realized until this event that Oceanid was just embiggening and enwatering the animal models that already existed in the game.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

dogsicle posted:

as much as i could use a restock on exp, not really feeling this event. the boss is too busy flipping and flying around it just feels like a tedious slog even compared to regular Oceanid. i'll just take the 5 free runs and work on other stuff.

This event definitely punishes any player that does not have burst DPS (or more specifically, punishes melee DPS with little range that damage consistently overtime rather than all at once i.e. Razor). The character bonuses even highlight the DPS and support units we should use for the event — either they have the range, burst, and/or utility to make the event easier or quicker. That being said, having Oceanid be one-shottable after the first phase does make the fight itself go faster for me, and the rewards and the boss fight itself does make it feel like it's made advantageous towards the late game players, though I hate waiting for the forced multiplayer session even when tackling the boss single player, and I do hate the first phase being non-one-shottabled and having a cap on the damage it will take before it starts summoning.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this and the arena event are basically the game telling you to stop loving around and grind artifacts

my lowest level character is 60/70 so I don't really feel much reason to grind this boss out, which is nice

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I don't like the huge difference in difficulty between the world and event monsters. Right now (AR 55) the world is quite easy, so only a few of my characters have gone past 60/70. But I have a hard time on event monsters without level 80 characters. I don't want to be leveling up my characters for events only to find all the monsters in Inazuma die with two autoattacks. And I really, really don't want to maintain an extra set of low-level artifacts

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Do you... Do you want the random encounters on the world map to be hard? I feel like my entire goal in life has been to waste less time on commissions every day.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
That's what I liked about the arena event. World mobs are so weak that you don't really feel like it's an actual battle when you engage them, but arena mobs have the HP and/or numbers to actually make the fight last long enough to feel like it's a proper fight. And this without my main complaint with Abyss, which is the strict time limit for max rewards on later stages and the god-awful "protect the leyline thingy".

Frankly, if Abyss was more like the arena event I'd be doing it every cycle, instead of like now where I just do up to the first leyline protection thing and then drop out.

As for world mobs, I'm kinda of two minds about them. On the one hand, them being weak makes it much more painless to just grind out the comissions quickly. On the other hand, if they could actually put up a little bit more of a fight then maybe fighting them wouldn't feel so much like pointless busywork and actually start feeling engaging. You do have the "tougher" mobs like Fatui agents, Lavachurls and such here and there, but it just feels like the world could use more of them so that Abyss wasn't the only place you could go for a real fight. While there are domains, most of them have annoying gimicks or hard elemental counters that you need to make a specific team for.

I've already cleared the arena, but I still pop by sometimes to do a few stages just because some of them are way more fun than any of the other fights in the game. I really hope they make it return every so often.

I guess what I want from the game is engaging fights that last a little bit, gives at least some reward and don't require specific team setups or counters. And preferably doesn't take 3 loading screens, forced co-op mode entry and/or babysitting a leyline device.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 10, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

I don't want to be leveling up my characters for events only

I put Amber to 70/70 and 6/6/6 just for the cryovine event in dragonspine :dukedog:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Flair posted:

This event definitely punishes any player that does not have burst DPS (or more specifically, punishes melee DPS with little range that damage consistently overtime rather than all at once i.e. Razor).

yeah, i suppose i should just play into what they want and run melt Hu Tao instead of loving around with Diluc and Rosaria. i just invested in her heavily enough that it made overworld stuff with her feel like a waste and in Abyss i always had to pick just one pyro to run. a shame they still cap your damage so it never fully escapes being a bit tedious.

i'm also curious how Amber might do but even having pumped her a bit recently i just don't feel that impressed...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What team goes well with Venti? I complained before about how in coop people who use him basically make me useless (Klee, Hu Tao, Razor are my leveled up dps) and this is the same in single player too. His ult is neat but if I’m just standing around twiddling my thumbs then what’s the point.

His hold skill is neat though. Updrafts everywhere! Makes climbing easier.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Klee's lasers and bouncy mines definitely have enough vertical reach to still hit enemies in the vortex. Other bows and catalyst users also seem like a good bet; I don't have her leveled but I imagine it's like fish in a barrel for Ninguang.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The strongest combination with Venti's Q is Ganyu's Q. It is fairly messed up vs larger groups of enemies (of which there aren't many atm).

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Boris Galerkin posted:

What team goes well with Venti? I complained before about how in coop people who use him basically make me useless (Klee, Hu Tao, Razor are my leveled up dps) and this is the same in single player too. His ult is neat but if I’m just standing around twiddling my thumbs then what’s the point.

His hold skill is neat though. Updrafts everywhere! Makes climbing easier.

Yeah, he does make razor useless.

Klee can still hit things with ult, bouncy mine, and most importantly charged attacks. You can occasionally hit with a normal but I find it most consistent to just charged attack.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

Do you... Do you want the random encounters on the world map to be hard? I feel like my entire goal in life has been to waste less time on commissions every day.

I'd like the random encounters in the next region to be hard when it first gets here, at least. Not Abyss hard, but I would rather not go through a whole region with everything dying in seconds.

Then again I guess I could just use a different party for that. Maybe run Xinyan as an overworld carry.

C6 Fischl + C1+ Sucrose is kinda nuts.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 10, 2021

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Captain France posted:

I'd like the random encounters in the next region to be hard when it first gets here, at least. Not Abyss hard, but I would rather not go through a whole region with everything dying in seconds.

They can't make Inazuma significantly harder compared to high-end Liyue stuff, or else new players will have to grind through a discouraging difficulty spike before they can even attempt the new content. Early Inazuma content should be doable at ~AR 37, going off of the gating for the Dainslief quest.

That said, the mobs will still be at least a little higher-level than Liyue's, since monster levels scale by region as well as by AR. (For instance, at AR55, the hilichurls at Starfell Lake are level 76 while the hilichurls at Guyun Stone Forest and Skyfrost Nail are level 90.) If the Chasm releases before Inazuma, we might be able to use the levels of the encounters there to estimate the levels we'll see in Inazuma.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man gently caress trying to catch these ducks. They can gently caress off.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

Man gently caress trying to catch these ducks. They can gently caress off.

I found the easiest way was to freeze them when they get close to the shore and chuck the water orb when they can't escape.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, freezing works, but it's kinda tricky with a bow user because for some reason when the little water elemental is active I can't aim my bow. The aim button just doesn't respond.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't notice until the second region, but you can hold E to target where the water spit goes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
came here to ask if anyone else thought this event was horribly designed, because the game doesn't make this clear at all:

Qwertycoatl posted:

I didn't notice until the second region, but you can hold E to target where the water spit goes

it's... less bad now, but i could do without the cranes. well i feel the same way about oceanid boss

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember there being other things, in quests or something, that you had to throw like that and the targeting arc always moves forward the longer you press the button so it's not new. It's not well thought out either, to be fair.

E: Something I only recently realized though, is that when you're picking up a flower or a plant off the ground, you can tell that it's going to spawn an enemy if it doesn't sparkle and it has a dialogue icon (the speech bubble with "..." inside it) instead of the item's actual icon.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I can't do the oceanid event because I didnt finish some completely random quest in Tianqiu. Cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

despite there being nothing i can find that explicitly points to the aiming thing, i knew almost immediately it worked that way. the range is surprisingly long so you can snipe most of the non-crane creatures safely. at least if some notice you, boars/squirrels are predisposed to run right into a bubble in front of them and ducks getting spooked easily means 50/50 they run into a bubble nearby them.

Hu Tao definitely works best now that i've done some more test runs of Rhodeia, though botched timing on a burst window is still a problem. it was at least nice to see my Amber dropping 10ks even if she's still half-geared and a headache to use.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
These ducks. I finally managed to get them by freezing my way up to them, freezing them, and then catching them

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I really didn't think the catching was hard at all. Baron Bunny uses the same hold E mechanic. I agree it sucks, though, just let me aim it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't do the oceanid event because I didnt finish some completely random quest in Tianqiu. Cool

uGHHHHHHH! It's THAT QUEST! The one I had a complete meltdown about!

If it's the third loving floor, either look it up on youtube, or do what I did. Anemo traveler with ult charged, through XL's bear and then ult to group everyone in the far left corner opposite where the fight starts, then DPS the surivors down. Last is the mage. Pop XL's ult or Amber's ult to take down that shield then DPS like hell.

That fight sucked so much... it... god I can't believe they never changed that loving quest.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

That stupid quest has gotten so many complaints and Mihoyo still hasn't fixed it. Just stumbling into a quest with a ridiculous fight that forever blocks off co-op until you complete it. Don't forget that you can pop a bunch of food to buff your characters too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lobsterpillar posted:

These ducks. I finally managed to get them by freezing my way up to them, freezing them, and then catching them

You don't have to be exact with the ducks. If you miss, they flail around for a little bit before swimming away, and the capture bubble hangs around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

You don't have to be exact with the ducks. If you miss, they flail around for a little bit before swimming away, and the capture bubble hangs around for a while.

You can also re-fire while the bubble is still in place. The CD timer is short.