Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

a.lo posted:

Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014

Mario Kart Tour came out in 2019.

Mario Kart: Home Circuit came out in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Trails of Cold Steel IV just became available on Switch, if anybody was waiting for it to unlock.

Jesus. I spent years waiting for Trails in the Sky 2 and played it day one. Now (in a post-children world) I'm so far behind on the franchise that I haven't played Sky 3 or Cold Steel 3. I seriously need to catch up.

At least being way behind on games means I get good sale prices whenever I finally get to them.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xedo posted:

Jesus. I spent years waiting for Trails in the Sky 2 and played it day one. Now (in a post-children world) I'm so far behind on the franchise that I haven't played Sky 3 or Cold Steel 3. I seriously need to catch up.

At least being way behind on games means I get good sale prices whenever I finally get to them.

I would buy a Trails in the Sky 1+2 remaster for $100 today.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the trails in the sky are still my favorite.

I’m not huge on Cold Steel.

I also think Azures fan translation is almost done

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just found out recently that Trails in the Sky SC got an official translation release, which means I need to hurry and finish my FC playthrough that I started, oh, 6-7 years ago. Absolutely loving the Cold Steel series so far though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the trails in the sky are still my favorite.

I’m not huge on Cold Steel.

I also think Azures fan translation is almost done

Yeah Azure is just going under bug testing right now. Translation is done.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Is stick fight decent on the switch? I heard it was a dumb blast on the PC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Policenaut posted:

Yeah Azure is just going under bug testing right now. Translation is done.

That’s good the first ones translation was really well done

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

a.lo posted:

Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014

And was still the 8th best selling videogame of 2020, making it the 4th straight year it landed in the top ten best selling games. How many other videogames have had that kind of sustained run with as little discounting as Nintendo does?

Super No Vacancy posted:

cannot believe we're not on round 3 of mario kart dlc by now

still surprised by this too, with how many dang copies of the game they've sold I'm amazed they haven't tried to wring some more out of that audience

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder if their Switch + MK bundle adds into that? Mine came with a code to redeem it on the Eshop so I wonder if those count as a sale which adds to that number

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Len posted:

I wonder if their Switch + MK bundle adds into that? Mine came with a code to redeem it on the Eshop so I wonder if those count as a sale which adds to that number

Good question and I don't know, but for what it's worth, Gamespot reported it as the 8th best selling game in the US excluding digital sales.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

And was still the 8th best selling videogame of 2020, making it the 4th straight year it landed in the top ten best selling games. How many other videogames have had that kind of sustained run with as little discounting as Nintendo does?

still surprised by this too, with how many dang copies of the game they've sold I'm amazed they haven't tried to wring some more out of that audience

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

People can't get enough of Mario Kart

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and yet they wont make more!!!!!!!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They are due for a new Mario Kart Arcade cab first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's a weird situation, because yeah, MK is obviously popular still. So there are arguments for both ways...

A) why not make another mainline game? Everyone loves it!

B) why bother spending resources in further developing and releasing a mainline title right now? Sales of MK8 clearly show that everyone loves it!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they made an entire theme park ride based on mario kart

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's a weird situation, because yeah, MK is obviously popular still. So there are arguments for both ways...

B) why bother spending resources in further developing and releasing a mainline title right now? Sales of MK8 clearly show that everyone loves it!
There’s been some rumors of MK9 in the works so who knows, but it’d fit in with the seeming new Switch launch year sequel lineup of BotW 2 and Splatoon 3.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is why option C, make a bunch of dlc to sell to your huge install base without needing to develop a whole new title from scratch, has been the obvious answer

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nah they're just gonna add Baby Pink Metal Peach to Mario Kart Tour instead. Only $40!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I can't play mario kart 8 as funky kong and therefore it remains incomplete

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The eternal struggle between "people who want to make games" and "people who want to make money". At the heart of pretty much every company's lovely decisions.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If I were a passionate game developer I would not be interested at all in making Mario Kart 9.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MK feels like it has the Smash Ultimate problem of "ok well they've fulfilled the premise in a way that's more-or-less complete."

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

MK feels like it has the Smash Ultimate problem of "ok well they've fulfilled the premise in a way that's more-or-less complete."
Bring back the Double Dash super weapons and co-op :colbert:

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

japtor posted:

I have the uh "Basstop" shell iirc, it’s one of the first/earliest ones and in a bunch of reviews/YouTube videos and such, been using it for years.

Any issues? Was the transplant process really just unscrew-and-drop-in? I found one on Amazon Canada and it was double the price of that other one I linked (last I checked).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheScott2K posted:

Doesn't it still lack a proper elimination-style battle mode a-la the first two Mario Karts (and maybe some thereafter)?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Counterpoint: If you do one of those cut-down shells, you can't do stuff like this:

No, I'm not still mad I couldn't get a set of the Skyward Sword joycons. Why would anyone think that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Echophonic posted:

Counterpoint: If you do one of those cut-down shells, you can't do stuff like this:

No, I'm not still mad I couldn't get a set of the Skyward Sword joycons. Why would anyone think that?

drat, that's a pretty sick dock.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I hope the next Mario Kart has a bunch of cool costumes for every character like Tour does just, you know, without the gacha. Absolutely distraught that those outfits are stuck in the mobile game

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Needs a diddy kong racing-esque single player campaign to reach the true peak.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Lodin posted:

Well they do have this thing coming later this year and it looks pretty much like a sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nPH4WyipE

Holy crap, this is great news! I love the combination of janky engine and ever-more ambitious scope. It's a good year for thieves... 80s thieves, that is :dukedog:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MK8 would be like smash if it included literally every track from before, which it doesn't. 48 is a lot, but there are many more.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mister Facetious posted:

Even found a use for my WiiU! :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MK8 would be like smash if it included literally every track from before, which it doesn't. 48 is a lot, but there are many more.
Yeah. The only issue here is that some newer levels are themselves thematic sequels to older levels, but hell they included 3 different versions of Rainbow Road in 8DX so there's no reason we can't have Moo Moo Farm and Moo Moo Meadows.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mister Facetious posted:

It’s like I always say, better a sick dock than a sock dick

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
how often do you say that

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The MK dlc introduced Zelda, Animal Crossing, FZero tracks and I really hoped it meant a Nintendo Kart would be the next step ala Smash. Quiet ever since.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, just toss in all kinds of Nintendo IPs and also rip off that Sonic racer where the cars turned into boats and planes. They're sorta already there what with the hanggliders and magnetic parts of the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Electromax posted:

The MK dlc introduced Zelda, Animal Crossing, FZero tracks and I really hoped it meant a Nintendo Kart would be the next step ala Smash. Quiet ever since.

super crash bros