Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yikes, I feel bad for Orson now.

I heard about the magnificent Ambersons from hbombs Scanline about directors cuts (a great video btw). It's such a terrible tragedy when something like that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sarcopenia posted:

This conversation made my brain go "did Johnny Bravo date a deer or am I losing my mind?". It was an antelope and apparently the episode was written by Seth Mcfarland.

I watched it on stream with some friends a while back and it's incredible how much that episode felt like a family guy bit. "Hey Lois, remember that time I dated a deer?"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ok what the gently caress actually happened in aot

Well it turns out every thing was caused by a bug that farts out turns into titan gas and it attached its self to a little slave girl who was going to be executed by her master after being accused of letting some pigs die or some poo poo. This is important because the when she turned into a titan, her master was like "good job girl, you will bear my children" and so he raped her and then made her kids eat her corpse when she died. But you see, it's okay because she loved him all along. And that's why when they cut off Eren's head after he killed 80% of humanity a giant bug pops out and farts turns into titan gas on everyone. But it just kind of vanishes between pages and everyone stops being a titan after Armin thanks him for committing mass murder and Miasa makes out with his severed head for a bit because he was really worried that she'd find another dude and be happy. Man went full incel and became a bird. Then everyone just kind of signed up to become an authoritarian military state to deal with the remaining 20% of humanity that wasn't them I guess.

It's so bad a lot of online aot communities are literally just redrawing their own "better endings".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

Well it turns out every thing was caused by a bug that farts out turns into titan gas and it attached its self to a little slave girl who was going to be executed by her master after being accused of letting some pigs die or some poo poo. This is important because the when she turned into a titan, her master was like "good job girl, you will bear my children" and so he raped her and then made her kids eat her corpse when she died. But you see, it's okay because she loved him all along. And that's why when they cut off Eren's head after he killed 80% of humanity a giant bug pops out and farts turns into titan gas on everyone. But it just kind of vanishes between pages and everyone stops being a titan after Armin thanks him for committing mass murder and Miasa makes out with his severed head for a bit because he was really worried that she'd find another dude and be happy. Man went full incel and became a bird. Then everyone just kind of signed up to become an authoritarian military state to deal with the remaining 20% of humanity that wasn't them I guess.

It's so bad a lot of online aot communities are literally just redrawing their own "better endings".

That last sentence is very misleading.

it ended on a "war never changes" note with Eldians organizing around the Yeager dudes but the main crew is trying to broker peace between them and Marleyans

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuebot posted:

none of that made any sense and i am someone who likes the lore of assassins creed.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

none of that made any sense and i am someone who likes the lore of assassins creed.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
That's because it's a pretty bad faith interpretation of the story lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's the Mass Effect 3 ending for manga.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh also before that, Eren's entire motivation was that he wanted to kill all the titans because a titan ate his mom. Well Turns out he made that titan eat his mom. Also he turned himself into a titan by making his dad eat a lady who had the founding titan power and then turn him into a titan so he can eat his own dad and become the raddest titan of them all. So it kind of retroactively ruins some really good scenes he had with other characters.

ButterSkeleton posted:

It's a pretty bad finale to the story.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
sure but the 'breathlessly summarize a long complicated plot such that it sounds ridiculous' thing isn't a very useful tool for diagnosing a story because you can do it to anything

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ButterSkeleton posted:

Farg posted:

sure but the 'breathlessly summarize a long complicated plot such that it sounds ridiculous' thing isn't a very useful tool for diagnosing a story because you can do it to anything

The ending is bad and thus it doesn't deserve to be told accurately to anyone curious about the hullabaloo but not invested enough to read the 140 chapters themselves. :colbert:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Wait is Attack on Titan's ending just a ripoff of Watchman? Pretty unoriginal if you ask me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Turns out AoT sucked, and that's fine, just embrace the parts that are good that you like and forget about the rest. Trust me, I invested like a decade into Bleach and had to come to this same conclusion to rationalize how much time I sunk into it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Oh also before that, Eren's entire motivation was that he wanted to kill all the titans because a titan ate his mom. Well Turns out he made that titan eat his mom. Also he turned himself into a titan by making his dad eat a lady who had the founding titan power and then turn him into a titan so he can eat his own dad and become the raddest titan of them all. So it kind of retroactively ruins some really good scenes he had with other characters.

It's a pretty bad finale to the story.

so are titans just mutant humans or what? the show didnt look like my thing and weirdly too gory for my taste too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Turns out AoT sucked, and that's fine, just embrace the parts that are good that you like and forget about the rest. Trust me, I invested like a decade into Bleach and had to come to this same conclusion to rationalize how much time I sunk into it.

oh so its anime version of GoT making GBS threads its guts out at the end.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yes. I maintain that the end of season 3 is a perfect ending and you can wash your hands of the show after that. It's perfectly setup and pays off really well.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
The ending is pretty disappointing to me, and I need some time to digest it as it's freshly finished.

I think the series deserves more credit and nuanced discussion. I think it utilizes a lot of mature themes for a largely shonen series and tries some pretty interesting things. To me, it's not fair to reduce it to a "lolz rape and fascism" comparison without giving it some proper context, even if the ending falls flat.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

GoT is a great comparison because both AoT and GoT are super popular shows I completely missed out on because they were way too dark and gory for my taste but everyone kept recommending it to me regardless until the show ends with an embarrassing thud and now I never have to hear about them again unless its people telling me "Oh? You never got into that? Lucky you! :negative: "

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alltho I am still a bit of a Bleach apologist and I have naive hope that the new anime episodes fix alot of the shows major issues lol so I'm in no room to :smug: post

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Jamie Faith posted:

Alltho I am still a bit of a Bleach apologist and I have naive hope that the new anime episodes fix alot of the shows major issues lol so I'm in no room to :smug: post

I'm the only goon on these forums with positive memories of Lost.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh so its anime version of GoT making GBS threads its guts out at the end.

Pretty much, obviously it'd be preferable if it wrapped up without making GBS threads itself, but just because the ending is bad doesn't invalidate what came before it. GoT's last season was absolute dogshit and really everything from season five onwards was just sliding into awfulness, but those first four seasons are just so good, with incredible acting, writing, and directing. I will fully come out and say that I've not read or watched ANY of AoT - I don't know the first thing about it - but the comparison seems apt given how much people are just in utter disbelief over the ending in comparison to the body of work that led up to it. But if it is at all justified, then all I can say is enjoy the parts of the story that you enjoyed and pretend it ended some other way. Or start drafting your 2,000,000 word revision fanfic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jamie Faith posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh: Even though I know it will never happen I live in desperate, idiotic hope that Kubo will take the opportunity to use the final anime season to touch up the final arc, instead of adapting it 1:1.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the main difference i'd put forward is that got was sucking the big one for a few seasons at that point but AoT seems to have truly poo poo the bed at the last possible moment

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Farg posted:

It's not the entire plot. Just the last handful of chapters really. They specifically reveal things that in turn sour and undermine basically every single character decision and arc the rest of the series had.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so are titans just mutant humans or what? the show didnt look like my thing and weirdly too gory for my taste too.

Basically, yes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Eren was always the worst part of AoT.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Sydin posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh: Even though I know it will never happen I live in desperate, idiotic hope that Kubo will take the opportunity to use the final anime season to touch up the final arc, instead of adapting it 1:1.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking/hoping. I guess it wouldnt be BLEACH if it didnt gently caress up and underwhelm us one last time :shepface:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the best part of aot was that one shot in like the 4th or 5th episode where the big titan appears and eren is blown off the wall backwards. that shot rules

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solitair posted:

I'm the only goon on these forums with positive memories of Lost.

I still really like it too.

Lost's final season is its weakest but it was mostly just disappointing rather than the clusterfuck that GoT etc were.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Lost's problem is that it set up a big black box of questions and, when it came time to answer them, the writers clearly just didn't know how to do that in any kind of satisfying manner.

GoT's problem is that GRRM set up a world and a blueprint for navigating said world, but when that blueprint ran out the writers went off the rails because a) they didn't actually understand the message GRRM was trying to convey and b) they were tired of GoT and wanted to wrap up the series ASAP so they could move on to their true passion project: Confederacy apologia.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sydin posted:

Bleach was doomed the instant Ichigo and friends decided to team up with the authoritarian government right after fighting them.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Farg posted:

the main difference i'd put forward is that got was sucking the big one for a few seasons at that point but AoT seems to have truly poo poo the bed at the last possible moment

This is really the issue.

It was really good right up till the finish line, where it honestly feels like it was written by someone else.

Even in shaky chapters, it still felt like it was written by Isayama and was true to the ideas and themes of the story. The last chapter just takes a big ol crap on all of it and actually retroactively ruins a lot of great scenes for certain characters and especially Eren

It is mind boggling and I really suspect there was some sort of editorial interference because of how completely different it is to literally everything that came before it

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Bleach was doomed the instant Ichigo and friends decided to team up with the authoritarian government right after fighting them.

This is just more reason why One Piece is the best of the big 3 because the good guys are straight up anarchists and their anarchist way of life is glorified instead of vilified like it would be in any other series as mainstream as OP

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

I still like Bleach in spite of its horrible flaws

But I expect the final anime season to pretty faithfully adapt the terrible ending since all the non-filler anime arcs were almost all like the manga.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pretty much. The early arcs did a good job building up Ichigo as an agent of change opposed to Soul Society, and introducing him to various people (Kukaku, Urahara, Yoruichi, etc) who were idealists who broke away from SS because they didn't agree with their authoritarian stand. It really felt like it was setting up Ichigo as somebody who would change - or at a minimum operate outside of - the status quo.

...But then the Shinigami characters turned out to be popular with readers, so they got retconned into good guys and Ichigo just happily teamed up with the group that included unrepentant genocidal maniacs.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

I still like Bleach in spite of its horrible flaws

But I expect the final anime season to pretty faithfully adapt the terrible ending since all the non-filler anime arcs were almost all like the manga.

Oh yeah, I do too. I still think it's a fun show if all you're really expecting is cool anime characters with cool powers having cool fights. BLEACH is like the perfect anime to make AMVs out of lol Kubo sucks as a writer but is a goat when it comes to designing characters. Also the openings and endings are brilliant too. It's all style and no substance but godamn that style is :discourse:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bleach is a gold star example of why not to make the villains way too appealing, wuh oh every single feedback we get is make them main characters now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Abby doing a video on Jordan Peterson's Ideology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81q-ZkfBm0

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Abby doing a video on Jordan Peterson's Ideology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81q-ZkfBm0

All you need to do to sum up his ideology is rip a big fart really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

GoT is a great comparison because both AoT and GoT are super popular shows I completely missed out on because they were way too dark and gory for my taste but everyone kept recommending it to me regardless until the show ends with an embarrassing thud and now I never have to hear about them again unless its people telling me "Oh? You never got into that? Lucky you! :negative: "

GoT works until season 5, 5 is meh, 6 has some good moments but lots of dumb and bad, then 7 and 8 are mostly crap. they ran out of books and its clear DnD were racing to the end and didnt care if the show was different enough for a different ending to work better. idk. whatever. My GF still loves it.

Sydin posted:

Pretty much, obviously it'd be preferable if it wrapped up without making GBS threads itself, but just because the ending is bad doesn't invalidate what came before it. GoT's last season was absolute dogshit and really everything from season five onwards was just sliding into awfulness, but those first four seasons are just so good, with incredible acting, writing, and directing. I will fully come out and say that I've not read or watched ANY of AoT - I don't know the first thing about it - but the comparison seems apt given how much people are just in utter disbelief over the ending in comparison to the body of work that led up to it. But if it is at all justified, then all I can say is enjoy the parts of the story that you enjoyed and pretend it ended some other way. Or start drafting your 2,000,000 word revision fanfic.

i have not either. i am not an anime person(yeah i know there is great anime) and it never seemed like my thing. it seemed to bleak for even me and i am a 40k fan.

Jimbot posted:

It's the Mass Effect 3 ending for manga.

makes sense. so basicaly lots of great stuff through out even near the end but they basicaly gently caress it up at the end biggly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sydin posted:

Lost's problem is that it set up a big black box of questions and, when it came time to answer them, the writers clearly just didn't know how to do that in any kind of satisfying manner.

GoT's problem is that GRRM set up a world and a blueprint for navigating said world, but when that blueprint ran out the writers went off the rails because a) they didn't actually understand the message GRRM was trying to convey and b) they were tired of GoT and wanted to wrap up the series ASAP so they could move on to their true passion project: Confederacy apologia.

I think that's the eternal problem with mysteries - the deeper the mystery hole the writers put the show in, the harder it is to climb out.

JJ Abrams just took the Ponzi scheme ethos to paying off mysteries - answer each mystery with two more and you never have to solve anything until your audience calls bullshit and it all collapses.