Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1380640068692508676

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Holy poo poo

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious

lol

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fukkkn legend

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

RIP DMX.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:wth:

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1380507715169095680?s=20

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
He don't miss

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
will there be an episode of peppa pig addressing the tragedy?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

CactusWeasle posted:

BBC news presenter was crying at the announcement

It's full on North Korea

I heard like the last 5 minutes of the BBC World Service broadcast on the local NPR station this afternoon. It was just straight uncut monarchist bootlicking propaganda.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO I just read on BBC some of the recommendations of the race report, and it's a trip

- stop organisations from conducting unconscious bias and equality training programs
- focus on helping minorities emulate succesful behaviours of more successful ethnicities
- stop using the "Black and Minority Ethnic" designation and instead focus on individuals
- more help for the most disadvantaged white groups like young white males (not joking)
- Longer school hours to help with integration into majority society

I'm sure that'll fix racism right up.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean yeah I guess that's the sort of recommendations you get when you put a literal 'race realist' in charge of the commission, but yeesh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

People are comparing Prince Phillip to Kim Jong-Il, which I think is unfair. Kim was an actual leader of a country, and not a ceremonial monarch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The BBC news site is loving deranged right now. Just wall to wall dead old man coverage. Articles in the regional sections like "what he meant to Northern Ireland" which have buried the stories of rioting in Belfast. Utter guff about his sporting career (he played polo!), it's all quite alienating

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

https://twitter.com/get24maizenblue/status/1380511479225585664

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Is he still dead?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Chuka Umana posted:

Is he still dead?

Seems that way. Guess someone got to his phylactery.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rollie Fingers posted:

I’m so loving glad I got my parents a free TV license in January when my dad turned 75.

The BBC’s still poisoning his brain but at least they aren’t being paid £160 for it

I stopped paying mine 'cos I never watch TV any more and gently caress giving money to the state broadcaster to pump out the government line all day.

The BBC is entirely dedicated to pensioners these days anyway: the reason tv schedules today look remarkably similar to those of the 1970's is 'cos the only people still watching broadcast tv are the ones who've been doing it since the 1970's.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
BBC was much better in the 70s judging from their old documentaries.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

LMBO I just read on BBC some of the recommendations of the race report, and it's a trip

- stop organisations from conducting unconscious bias and equality training programs
- focus on helping minorities emulate succesful behaviours of more successful ethnicities
- stop using the "Black and Minority Ethnic" designation and instead focus on individuals
- more help for the most disadvantaged white groups like young white males (not joking)
- Longer school hours to help with integration into majority society

I'm sure that'll fix racism right up.

The report is a sprawling, rather amateurish mess, that reads like it was cobbled together by 10 different people (because it was). Some of the contributers were sincere but out of their depth, others were blinkered dipshits and at least a couple were utterly cynical and intentionally using the report as a political weapon and those are the ones who I think had the biggest influence over the report. That, I think, is why the tone of the report swings from vague, unexceptional recommendations, to extrapolation from poorly-understood, rather cherry-picked statistics, to (what looks like to me) deliberate provocative trolling designed to generate headlines and make a big bang in the Uk culture wars.

It's achieved its primary purpose, in that white English people now feel far more confident in saying that racism was never the problem: it's people talking about racism that whips up all the conflict.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chuka Umana posted:

BBC was much better in the 70s judging from their old documentaries.

Like old music, where only the best hits still get played today, most of the BBC output was always poo poo but they did used to take their mandate to: "inform and educate" a lot more seriously and produce genuinely in-depth stuff that didn't insult the viewer's intelligence and attention span. These days, even their 'serious' programmes are incredibly lightweight by contrast.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Communist Thoughts posted:

No we have elections

Oh wait

Fuckin' this.

In Cumbria we were going to have elections but we put in for unitary authority so they're cancelled this year too. I got a police commissioner's thing through the door and I'm not even going to trouble myself to spoil the ballot.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I hope mr bean is a pallbearer at Phillips' funeral and wacky hijinks occur

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
like that one time he head butted the Queen

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zurtilik posted:

Monarchs go to special heaven.

yeah. the one with all the flames and red hot roasting spits.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i can’t help but thinking all the special radio “royal is dead” sad song playlists are trying to convince me to lie down with a 99 year old man and smooch, the lyrics are often a bit incongruous with the occasion

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

I hope mr bean is a pallbearer at Phillips' funeral and wacky hijinks occur

Yeah he comically voices his opinions on cancel culture going too far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1380805120724774912?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol this would embarrass Kim Jong un

https://twitter.com/MrsNickyClark/status/1380586836343537667?s=19

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What is it about royalty that breaks some people's brains.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

"a rise in the positive cell count" doesn't sound like good news for a HIV sufferer tbh.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BBC flooded with complaints over Prince Philip coverage

Within six hours of Prince Philip’s death being announced the BBC had received so many complaints about its wall-to-wall coverage of the news that it opened a dedicated complaints form on its website.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jose posted:

Lol this would embarrass Kim Jong un

If anyone has the screenshot of that article promoting Boris's son's fantastic art: I'm looking for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If anyone has the screenshot of that article promoting Boris's son's fantastic art: I'm looking for it.

I just searched twitter for Boris son art lol

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1343351532285259782?s=19

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

lol so glad I left the UK
Aussie tv goes on as it’s normal crap self and they had a 41 gun salute in Canberra where nobody really lives to hear it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Jel Shaker posted:

Within six hours of Prince Philip’s death being announced the BBC had received so many complaints about its wall-to-wall coverage of the news that it opened a dedicated complaints form on its website.

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1380531648853315591

72 poor people burn to death in a London tower block, - and now the weather

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jel Shaker posted:

Although the corporation is used to finding itself in the middle of Britain’s culture wars, its handling of Philip’s death points to a deeper question over the ability of a national broadcaster to force the country together to mourn a single individual in an era where audiences are fragmented and less deferential.

I like the wording there: they want to force everybody to mourn.

Another issue is how to serve parts of its audience who would like an alternative to the wall-to-wall coverage. By late Friday afternoon there was one death dominating the most-read stories on the BBC website: The demise of rapper DMX.

Well, duh. DMX actually provided something of value.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/localnotail/status/1343355480169730055?s=21

lol I forgot that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Why is that child rubbing poo poo on a drawing someone else did?

edit: Also, whose poo poo is it?