Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sanguinia posted:

Not to get in the way of Dead Royalty chat, but what's up with the riots in Belfast? An Irish Youtuber I watch had to pause his stream because of like, explosions.

Longstanding papered over sectarianism and a secular decline in prospects for the area and youth boiling over due to mismanagement from a distant uncaring government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Queen Elizabeth II should be right as rain in two weeks. After an oil-change, a clean-sweep of her hydraulics, and a coat of paint she'll be out of the shop.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

"Do you want the giant syringe of cocaine or the giant syringe of morphine first?" is a better death than 99% of us will get, and it's a puzzle for the ages why he went morphine first. I'm guessing the exact science behind speedballs was less developed back then.

Gonna assume it's the same basic principle as pet euthanasia (and US lethal injections) - you want something guaranteed to be painless, quick, and most of all definitive. Just an opiate overdose is definitely the first one but depending on individual tolerance and metabolism can take ages and can depress respiration and heartrate enough to trick a physician into declaring someone dead only for them to come back spontaneously to the distress of all concerned. Of the stuff likely to be in a 1930s physician's bag, cocaine is the most likely to provoke a very definite death, but one that's going to be hell on the patient, so dump enough sleepyjuice into them to make sure they're not waking up, then the marching powder to stop their heart in a way it's not coming back from.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grouchio posted:

*sees a bunch of Brits proclaiming 'the world's a better place with Phil ded'*
Well? What did he do? (I'd reserve that cheer for Murdoch, anyways)

To answer this, or attempt to:

Said a lot of really racist things. Like was just renowned for being openly racist in Britain in the 80's and 90's. It's hard enough for a certain strata to be considered racist now, never mind back then. Continually cheating on the Queen when he was younger and chronic neglect of his kids so they grew up very weird. But alongside that there is also open contempt for the monarchy because the monarchy as an institution kind of really sucks and serves no purpose. Lots of people want shot of the entire institution tbh.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

namesake posted:

Longstanding papered over sectarianism and a secular decline in prospects for the area and youth boiling over due to mismanagement from a distant uncaring government.

Sara Canning (Lyra McKee's partner) was on BBC's Newscast talking about the violence in NI earlier this week and basically said exactly this. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a sensible voice on the Beeb that wasn't immediately piled on by the presenters.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

But alongside that there is also open contempt for the monarchy because the monarchy as an institution kind of really sucks and serves no purpose.

I'm not totally convinced prince philip thought this.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

On the NI violence, there is/was a BBC magazine article titled something like "Why is there violence in Northern Ireland" and christ if you can answer that in five paragraphs you get all my respect.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

On the NI violence, there is/was a BBC magazine article titled something like "Why is there violence in Northern Ireland" and christ if you can answer that in five paragraphs you get all my respect.

I mean its not really complicated. If you take into account a seemingly accelerated conglomeration of power among and a concerted effort by people in a position of power to further wring the neck of society for their own benefit at the expense of everyone else, coupled with a once in a lifetime (?) pandemic robbing us all of our support network and coping strategies then its pretty obvious that the places with a recent history of violence might be the first to display their disaffection with the situation in such a way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm not totally convinced prince philip thought this.

That's up to him, not me.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

Here's a pretty good long read explanation.

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
I don't think I've given much mind to Prince Philip since I wrote an article about him 8 years ago.

Had some fun photoshopping him though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

weird with one nipple

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9OpJYck7Y

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this country is nuts

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

youre not helping

er lol

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 10, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grouchio posted:

At least Sarah Fawcett died with dignity

Who?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

More and more people are saying this, maybe we should listen to them and boot this filth out
At this point I don't even know who he thinks he's having a conversation with. Most of the thread had him on ignore and watching him post as if he isn't is almost sad. Poor fucker's delusional.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If we booted people out of this thread for having bad opinions, the membership would be so small even the Lib Dems would laugh at it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kingturnip posted:

If we booted people out of this thread for having bad opinions, the membership would be so small even the Lib Dems would laugh at it.

Eh, I think a) most posters here have good opinions and b) there's a difference between 'bad opinions' and Vit P's shite.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kingturnip posted:

There's a massive difference between bad options and harrassment

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Despite living near my entire life in the Republic I never thought to acknowledge how small the North is given the amount of blood shed over its existence.

What are Northern Ireland's exports anyway? Does Garth Ennis count?

Garth Ennis has written a comic about life in NI called Dicks, which is so stunningly puerile, it even put me off.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Now that our common enemy is dead we turn on each other?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Butternubs posted:

Now that our common enemy is dead we turn on each other?

Pissflaps was a royal all along?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The charter belongs to the big smelly warehouse on what was the very cheapest plot of land in inner London in 1980 - if anything that shitheap just next to Customs House (have you just admitted to being the taxman, by the way?) is the imitator.

Na company i work for is in Dirty Des's former digs, I'm an embedded Linux guy.

Dad was middle management in the Inland Revenue mind you.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 10, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

It's been one rule for them and one rule for the hoi and the polloi for loving ages now, no-one'll give a gently caress

Hoi literally means 'the' tbf

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Band, innit?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rise and Shine Subjects! Another packed day of griefwanking and bootlicking awaits!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been up all night and phils still dead and it's still great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the Phillip formerly known as Prince

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The BBC Northern Ireland news site is currently leading with 10 stories about Prince Philip and then if you scroll down you can find one about the violence.

I'm not normally an ardent BBC hater but are they alright over there

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m here and I’m fine except it’s mid April and loving SNOWING

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Between 7 and 11am for a washing machine delivery is a shite time. Just saying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

Between 7 and 11am for a washing machine delivery is a shite time. Just saying.

Better than between 8am and 6pm.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
BBC showing maximum respect by delaying the uploading of gentle movie review podcast

https://twitter.com/KermodeMovie/status/1380777796474142720?s=19

I can feel Kermode wanting to have a go at the Royals but also wanting to keep his job

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My favourite British slamg, now sadly largely out of fashion, is the phrase "Giving the dogs a carnation"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

My favourite British slamg, now sadly largely out of fashion, is the phrase "Giving the dogs a carnation"

Lord Austin? What are you doing posting here?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

Hoi literally means 'the' tbf

No no no it says "the polloi, the"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Garth Ennis has written a comic about life in NI called Dicks, which is so stunningly puerile, it even put me off.
Still, at least he's not Mark Millar.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Now that you mention it, has anyone ever seen mark millar and Prince Philip in the same room??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Garth Ennis did write a Punisher storyline where all the villains are bickering Irish-American IRA types. They all die in an explosion at the end. So there's that.

Definitely will never touch his non-Punisher output. gently caress no, Crossed sounds repugnant.