Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the strapping big lad

I'm shite at sewing

But making my own sternum strap/lap belt extender for the rucksack of doom was cheaper than buying them in and they make a massive difference in weight load/bearing

Sunday, muddy sunday

I hadn't really planned on this trip, if I had, I would have probably dressed warmer- the mist gets a chill right into my bones

But we ended up delivering bread in the area, so we brought in the surplus loaves to see what animals eat them

Reloaded then rearranged the trailcams and left our offerings of seeded loaf and cat food.

We took care of a few errant trees too, but the sap is already starting to rise- soon it will be time to put plants in the ground again. Wish I had gotten a few more cutting days into the season, but I easily cleared more wood than last year so can't complain much.

The birds are a lot more hesitant when I have a visitor around

Things are slowly waking up and coming back to life all over the place

And that's about it until I go down again and do more, soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That the regular version of that thread, or extra strong?

Because for that job it really should be extra strong. My go-to is Madeira's 35 for those problems. Also, that sure is a technique. I won't call it a good technique, but it's a technique.

... though after 2020 I already have a counterweight for my backpacks and it's not like I'm going anywhere...

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

That the regular version of that thread, or extra strong?

Because for that job it really should be extra strong. My go-to is Madeira's 35 for those problems. Also, that sure is a technique. I won't call it a good technique, but it's a technique.

... though after 2020 I already have a counterweight for my backpacks and it's not like I'm going anywhere...

I bought the extra super strong stuff, originally thinking I would sew the extra strap directly atop the old one, but my needle selection didn't go through both the existing webbing straps and the new ones very easily

I ended up just using buckles and the slidey adjustable things for the actual holding tension parts and the sewing is just to neaten the cut ends of strap and stop them fraying

Still, the strong thread will come in handy next time I need to utterly gently caress up sewing on a button

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ait good. Someone not super experienced trying to hand sew with regular Gutermann is a recipe for trouble, disaster and torn trousers.

I always pick Madeira's 35 when I get a choice, but Gutermann extra strong is fine, and Brexit might make it difficult to get good supplies right now.

... and even that's not people trying to use cotton thread for things meant to last outdoors.

I'd really use a whip stitch there but since it's not going to be holding a lot of weight it barely matters.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I need to add a few little bits to my field jacket for holding stuff like my compass and ferro rod on lanyards inside my pockets so I can't misplace the fuckers- so I will definitely investigate these "stitches" you mentioned and stop giving the hot glue gun some side eye

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

smack my ditch up
yeah I probably used this already whatever

I mean it's 17 years old now and if it needs a bit more zentralhydrauliköl on a saturday morning then it gets a bit more I guess

Let's just not mention the 69,219,420 other things my beloved shitpile needs

Just a few bits with me which was good, because I couldn't get parked anywhere near and had a nice little hike as a result

I was intending on pruning a few fruit trees and taking a few clippings of bushes but spring is really coming along fast, so I left them alone and will try again in autumn

Peeps peeptacular? Yeah I guess so

It has needed doing for awhile and was pretty fun to unclog in the end

Love hitting sand deposits and wondering when the last time they were exposed to the air was

Spot the two things waiting to kill me- I wouldn't have worked underneath these in any real wind

Cold enough to make me appreciate the hot drink but not cold enough to gently caress with the butane

Birdbox time. Point em facing northeasterly, vary the entrance size, amount of cover and height up the tree by species you wish to attract- the widemouth is for wrens and robins, the one with the hole for assorted tits

Glad I brought the driver with me, even if it was a bit over keen on the fancy screws. Much easier to do at a stupid angle leaning through a thorny bush

The crows and magpies were making a real racket at something- I went and had a look, and this pure white dove looked at me a little while before taking off. It got about 2 metres before what I think was a small buzzard smacked it out of the air like a bolt of lightning.

It made a valiant attempt at escape but didn't make it far. I sorely wanted better pictures but didn't want to spook it from it's meal

The sound or the smell of the blood in the air even brought the foxes out to see what's going on.

I'm not going to include the pictures but I checked out the scene afterwards and the dove had a blue plastic ring around one foot- as far as I can tell there was no writing on it, but I'm going to investigate and gently caress I probably should have taken it off and looked properly before it went smelly/got dragged off

Spring. It sprung a bit. Made a boing sound, I would imagine. More. Soon.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Probably a Sparrow hawk. Buzzards and Kites tend to be scavengers, where as Sparrow hawks and Peregrine falcons are the Exocet missiles of the bird world.
Someone I work with keeps and races pigeons and he absolutely hates them because they constantly take his birds!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
That was a really cool update. That poor birb!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Finally did my order for more trees but I'm quite late in the season and there has been a lot more demand than normal so limited stocks have kept me limited to about 70. Bit of a pain, but it's going to be a mission to deliver them and the assorted side dishes down there under the current access restrictions anyway.

Still, seventy isn't bad, and with other bits already awaiting planting that probably gives a little over a hundred plants/trees ready for combat, and a good target to hit before the month of may turns dry

Catzilla posted:

Probably a Sparrow hawk. Buzzards and Kites tend to be scavengers, where as Sparrow hawks and Peregrine falcons are the Exocet missiles of the bird world.
Someone I work with keeps and races pigeons and he absolutely hates them because they constantly take his birds!

Good call, that takes us up to three different birds of prey :)

I did a bit of research and it seems that rings without numbers can be fairly common just to let a breeder keep track of different broods, so I don't need to go rummaging around a dead bird to make sure

Maugrim posted:

That was a really cool update. That poor birb!

Thanks- it was over quickly for it at least, it was knocked out of the air and then very quickly despatched thereafter

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

chop chop VIII - a chop too far

Sunny day, first time I didn't need the field jacket since last year

Long hike in, already felt tired out by this point after carrying this bullshit all the way in

Took some time and rested up and watched the world go by and the buzzards circle overhead- despite my entreaties they refused to come devour me, quite rude imo

First up was a stump reduction, mainly because I tripped on it and it pissed me off

Hefted a bunch of logs out the way too

It was mainly construction logs, but a few bits of stray firewood also got processed

Milita beef curry, and it was loving amazing- just the right amount of heat and flavour

Sunny enough for the vent fan to make the caravan sound like a LAN party

Combined my two construction log piles into one, right next to the intended construction site

Checked out the nursery and we have 30+ plants waiting

Made sure I washed up properly

Went around the paths, took a few errant branches down then used them to start a little hedgelet

Under watchful eyes as always

Log cage is pretty much full as I can get it- needs a tarp now

After all that, the extended hike out was just what I needed and it totally didn't wreck my poo poo. more soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

logs into logistics part I

well good morning/afternoon/evening

The bit on the left was time consuming to get down here but I can't operate well without it-

Clocked up some mileage on the barrow today

After two trips back and forth up the hill (it's always uphill somehow) I needed this medicinal mocha and sit by the pond

Next up was a little light tidying and sorting so I could rescue a pallet and some bags of sand and some logs

I had hoped to do some more prep work here on the operations area, but my drat stupid wimp of body told me to quit before the pain/fatigue got too bad (editor's note, ow, this was wise)

But I saw a bee

And a buzzard

And I set up the trailcams once more

Some of the deadfall is now much less lethal too

Lots of pretty things to see- wish I had more energy for it.

Home time. Today's small logistics effort will pay off handsomely on our next adventure- more, soon.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 21, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:five:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

:blush: y'all are too kind

logs into logistics II: toblerowned

Well some boxes showed up yesterday what were full of plants, like

These photina red robin and viburnum tinus will one day be pretty hedgerow, but they need a few seasons to grow a bit bigger before they are combat ready- they normally come bigger than this, but I got the last of the pick

T'other box came with me today, on quite the adventure as tha can see

Union shop, union rules, scabs can gently caress right off

Primrose pond earning it's name

Let's get stuck in then shall we, can't be wanking in a bush the whole day

First up we deal with the bare root plants- the roots get a half hour soak to begin while I set up the work area

Then we drain them and carefully open them up, saving the straw for future use and being careful not to slice the rootball

We make up a thick wallpaper paste like gel, which helps the rootgrow granules stick to the roots and also provides an excellent moisture source

Dip roots, sprinkle in the good poo poo, arrange plants in bucket, cover with a layer of straw and soil, repeat until out of room. The aim is to provide a good temporary home for them to survive till planted, letting the roots get going and plants wake up without the roots growing into each other too badly.

These dogrose were cell grown and were pre-treated at the nursery but they still got the rest of the goop because there was no-one to stop me engaging in such behaviour

A definite two mug day

52+ hawthorn, 6 hazel, 10 dogrose. With a few other bits already down here, this is going to make up some pretty dang good hedgerow if I do say so myself. With my supplies pre-positioned and a good work area (and some gorgeous sunshine) this was easy work- I feel like processing double or even triple the amount I did today would be within easy enough reach for next year

I like that there's still places I haven't gone to. There's one or two parts I intend on letting get so overgrown that no-one can go to them.

Well, I guess there's some work to be done, but that's more, soon

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 23, 2021

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

That pond has really come into its own.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

That pond has really come into its own.

I'm really hoping to do some clearance and maybe this year it will be a year round pond

logistics into logs III- it's a spring thing

Sun beating down but the frost was still crisp underfoot this morning

Running low on hot chocolate powder, this continued intransigence from management cannot be allowed to pass

So I got on with some planting anyway

Some potted from last year, some from the bare root stockpile, all lovingly placed in primo spots

Quite a bit of it actually, not sure if I have done 35 in a day before, all chucked into hedgerow activity

Think this is a badger track

Might harvest a bit of rhubarb this year

This larvae thing was tucked up where I happened to put some hawthorn- I used my knife to try and flick it back into the hole, and it promptly attacked the knife savagely. Full of respect for a worthy opponent, I made sure it went back in the ground safely

Lots of bees around

As well as a bunch of these butterflies, and some bright yellow ones too, but neither variety wanted to sit still for me

Well that was a drat fine morning of sticking plants in the ground, more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bird ball express

Now then

Logistics effort was the first part of today

Should keep the birds fed a month or two

Might make an effort into branching out into cuppasoups

Spent a lovely hour or so rambling around checking on pretty much everything I ever planted and being happy about seeing all the poo poo growing

On my way out I went and checked the spicy rope storage, they keep trying to keep the spicy ropes away, but that just makes me want 'em more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the flower power hour

So here we are again not that anyone cares :qq:

First up was 2 bags of postcrete that got left outdoors for years and are now harder than grant mitchell- excellent foundation material once I strip the bags off

Next was 37 pots that had wildflowers planted last year and kinda forgotten about because that's how I roll. There's also some auxiliary water and some cans of food and a terracotta pot and a plastic tub too

While no-one was looking, desperatedan planted forty* plants

He planted 40* plants

That's as many as four tens*

And that's positive news for the biodiversity of our project

*There were more than 40 cause two of the flower pots had nowt in them so I grabbed what hawthorn was left in a tub and had at it, also I cleared a bunch of bramble and it was boring and painful

Did the trailcams, the older one is being reet shonky of late, and might require a home trip so I can properly diagnose things

Hunted out my strawberry patches, a few bits doing nicely- I expect the animals will eat them all first this year, but if I can get a few more tucked away then in a few more years once the runners get going a proper patch may form

Got to get some further ticks in this book, more, soon

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Think this is a badger track

Hedgehogs those mate, you can tell with the sideways toe.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

DesperateDan posted:

So here we are again not that anyone cares :qq:

I care! I'm a terrible poster so I just lurk. Thread is bookmarked and I enjoy your updates since I'm outside of Seattle and it's cool to see how similar the weather/climate is.

This thread makes me want to do one for my yard, but I'd end up doxxing myself.

I got one of those cameras on your recommendation and it works pretty well. Snagged a mountain lion pic the other day which is actually kinda scary. I'll post it if someone wants to see it when I get home.

Also I'm glad you're able to make it back out there with the access road fiasco.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

How dare you Dan, we care! We're just the strong silent type. (the pictures and descriptions are amazing and I enjoy them greatly)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Miftan posted:

How dare you Dan, we care!
Yeah this is one of the best threads in SA.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Indeed I enjoy this thread!! I just hardly ever have anything to say

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Rotten posted:

I care! I'm a terrible poster so I just lurk. Thread is bookmarked and I enjoy your updates since I'm outside of Seattle and it's cool to see how similar the weather/climate is.

This thread makes me want to do one for my yard, but I'd end up doxxing myself.

I got one of those cameras on your recommendation and it works pretty well. Snagged a mountain lion pic the other day which is actually kinda scary. I'll post it if someone wants to see it when I get home.

Also I'm glad you're able to make it back out there with the access road fiasco.

Hell yes I'd like to see your cougar pics. :heysexy:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

AceClown posted:

Also I suspect Badgers are much larger than that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I read every update as soon as I can just to not care harder.

We all care.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Hi Dan,

Please don't be desperate.
I love this thread!
Please continue on your 5 acres!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Miftan posted:

How dare you Dan, we care! We're just the strong silent type. (the pictures and descriptions are amazing and I enjoy them greatly)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Dan, I love this thread. As someone with a black thumb it amazes me how much you do and how you know to do it & when. Esoteric knowledge!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like to see your UK wildlife and while I don't understand all of the rules about settling property you own in the UK, I'm curious to see what happens. It's semi rural here so we get a lot of American wildlife and for example our deer are both bigger jerks and bigger in size. The main animals that are about the same are the foxes as well as birds and bumblebees.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Ladies, gents and non binary folks- that comment was intended as at least 92.7% sarcastic but your kind and unkind comments are warmly received none the less I just get lonely sometimes, kay?

Been due to visit twice already in the last week and had illness then circumstances gently caress me over but I have an excellent feeling that tomorrow there will be more, soon

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

DesperateDan posted:

Ladies, gents and non binary folks- that comment was intended as at least 92.7% sarcastic but your kind and unkind comments are warmly received none the less I just get lonely sometimes, kay?

Been due to visit twice already in the last week and had illness then circumstances gently caress me over but I have an excellent feeling that tomorrow there will be more, soon

Take care of yourself and your fam, DD

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

So it was just a cry in the [smol] wilderness? No probs.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Finally got a chance to sit and do some postin', postin' pals

AceClown posted:

Angrymog posted:

Also I suspect Badgers are much larger than that.

I shall reposition a trail camera, post haste, cause I love hodgehegs and haven't seen one down there or on cam

Rotten posted:

Oh hell yes post cougar pics

Miftan posted:

spookygonk posted:

Yeah this is one of the best threads in SA.

Toughy posted:

Indeed I enjoy this thread!! I just hardly ever have anything to say

cakesmith handyman posted:

I read every update as soon as I can just to not care harder.
We all care.

Loki Kunti posted:

Hi Dan,
Please don't be desperate.
I love this thread!
Please continue on your 5 acres!

You are all too nice and I'm gonna plant you all a tree

and then I'm gonna pee on them

Sloth Life posted:

Dan, I love this thread. As someone with a black thumb it amazes me how much you do and how you know to do it & when. Esoteric knowledge!

A bit like with doing blackthumb work, the main part is just having a go, loving up then having another go with what you learned last time from mistakes/some studying- if you keep at it, it mounts up over time

Rexxed posted:

I like to see your UK wildlife and while I don't understand all of the rules about settling property you own in the UK, I'm curious to see what happens. It's semi rural here so we get a lot of American wildlife and for example our deer are both bigger jerks and bigger in size. The main animals that are about the same are the foxes as well as birds and bumblebees.

The muntjac are indeed small, but there are also roe and red deer around which are the largest in the UK- they just havent shown up on camera yet- they tend to stick to quieter areas and are a lot warier than the muntjac, which I see pretty much every visit

There are developments and plans afoot regards the slow march to settlement which I will reveal a little more of when the time is right :)

logistics into logs into hedgerows whatever part I dunno, seven

Esteemed greetings be upon you, friend

So- the road is closed, you knew about that one right? But today (and luckily just for today), the road leading to that road had been closed and also the road that led to the road that led to the road that was originally closed was also closed and I hiked all this crap in anyway, from an even stupider distance. But the hot chocolate powder must flow.

The lizard hotel hath fully emerged from the unknown depths. Think it's got some krakens inside? Might take a peek soon before it gets relocated, but I had other intents and purposes today

First up (after a hot drink) were 20 plants

I loosed the fateful lightning of my terrifying swift spade

Then I put a plant in the gap and sometimes a handful of soil too and then stomped it and I kept doing it till I got hungry

Lunch worked out pretty drat great, but I need to bring down a spatula of some form cause flipping this over with nowt but a little spoon and hot oil everywhere was challenging

After lunch, at least a dozen more but then I stopped-

Because these tubs? Done. There's some potted plants at the front of the caravan that need to go in, but that can happen some other time

The skull of a sparrowhawk, if I'm not mistaken. Well. I found it where a dead sparrowhawk was. Morbidly interesting to examine, so lightweight it feels like there's nothing there at all. I was lucky to find it intact- the rest of the skeleton had been munched on extensively

About time I did something other than plant though- more soon

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Phone posting so I hope this works.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Posting to say that I bought a new cordless drill last week. Bosch and Makita were the same price(ish) but I thought of this thread and Dan's tools and went Makita. Goddamn that is a good drill.

One day I will get a cordless reciprocating saw of the same brand and buy an old Audi as well. Inshallah.

Anyway, please keep posting :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rotten posted:

Look at those huge paws on that cat.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.

Rotten posted:

this face confused the hell out of me

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rotten posted:

dats a big 'ol puddy tat!

Mzuri posted:

Posting to say that I bought a new cordless drill last week. Bosch and Makita were the same price(ish) but I thought of this thread and Dan's tools and went Makita. Goddamn that is a good drill.

One day I will get a cordless reciprocating saw of the same brand

Tbh I have used plenty of bosch and milwaukee tools around the same price band and been very happy with them- I just started with a makita and now I have the battery logistics chain for them so it's always cheaper to buy a makita product bare in box than it is to buy another manufacturers offering, and batteries, and a charger

Makita tend to balance things better than just about any other manufacturer though, and parts availability is excellent, even on ancient products- I always appreciate that.

Mzuri posted:

and buy an old Audi as well. Inshallah.

Anyway, please keep posting :)

For heaven's sake comrade, if you value your sanity or your wallet then avoid the hell out of audis in that age bracket- Otherwise make sure you get one with quattro and drive it like you stole it every drat time

logs into office walls CCXIX

Nice fresh sunday morning

So first was the bird feeders as is the custom- a daughter of Cass watched me collect the feed

Then was second breakfasts- nice to have a chef from the militia on duty for the bacon sarnies

So, building logs. Turns out for long term construction, you wanna strip the bark- otherwise the interior wood tends to hold onto water- and if you want to do that the easy way you do it within a few days of felling them. Feck. Plus they are pretty drat wonky logs for the most part. Double feck.

But if I have to turn it all into firewood that would be both tedious and necessitate building more firewood storage so we did a bushcraft style log wall thing instead

Went together pretty nice, learned a few things and wish I had enough wood to do some more but I guess that waits till next year now

I want to make a pretty much identical one in mirror image to make a box shape, but allowing for a large entrance on the front and back. Going to add the bench and a new luxury office item soon, TBD.

Water storage seems to be growing mosses and lichens and suchlike

Bugs and slugs doing good too- wish I had more time for pictures but it was all about getting poo poo done today

Then it was time for home. More. Soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

should probably buy a sickle at some point, eh?

pretty day for saving a bit of the world

Brought in auxiliary water and another large water container which also had some water in it

About 12-14 years ago or so me and a buddy made a firepit out of paving bricks and concrete, it fell into disuse and got overgrown but I figured the bricks could serve other purposes and the area could use a little clean, so my young lad brought the baby sledgehammer and he took it apart like a surgeon- only one brick broken. The bricks will need a clean up, inspection and inventory before I decide quite how to use them, but that's easy work compared with today's demolition and transport.

The lad had noodles, I had a curry intended for hot princes (or maybe it attracts them? one can only hope)

Nice day for a wander round and poke at things and a watch of the birds and also I need to do something about a deceased fox at some point soon because it was an excellent lesson in being up or down wind of something

Then it was time for home- got some plans, but thats more, soon