Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (August 28, 1952)

1955: "Re-elect mayor Red Thomas! Progress is his middle name!"
1985: "Re-elect mayor Goldie Wilson! Progress is his middle name!"

This one generated an angry letter. Larson's comment was, "Thank God I didn't go with my first caption: Bobbing for babies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 11, 1933)

Peanuts (April 12, 1974)

Funky Sidewaysbean

Yes, because nobody's had a magic childhood since Giant Sized X Men #1.

Speaking of this despoiled modern world, here's Crankshaft.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 9, 1937)

We're a little late, so good night, folks.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Funky Sidewaysbean

I feel like watching the Flash perform magic tricks would be kind of boring, since the gimmick behind every illusion is probably that he moved faster than you could see. Also no trick is likely to be more impressive than, you know, the actual magic power he has.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Love of god shut the gently caress up about The Flash.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I can't decide which is more pandering, Funkyverse or Working Daze. At least Working Daze sticks to just a single panel.

Actually I think Funky is more pathetic because it feels like Batiuk does have some respect for classic comics, but he is completley incapable, (or maybe just unwilling) of communicating any of the "magic" of those comics to the reader.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Always really love Larson's Ooooh! expression. I think he uses the same one on the "introduces horses to the New World" one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I like The Flash more than any other DC hero and I gotta say if this guy was telling me this I'd feel embarrassed by association and I'd just walk away.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Well, I'm sure the Mexicans would be more inclined to actually enforce the border if the United States actually made all people residing and born on their territory U.S. citizens. When did they do that for Native Americans again?1924? Welp, or A dead horse. GEE, I WONDER WHO COULD BE RESPONSIBLE, or Funny thing here - I gave Blueberry's full name at this point, but Michel-Charlier hadn't come up with it, and only realized that he had to when he read over his notes and saw that he had people referring to Blueberry as both Mike and as Steve

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Sidewaysbean

Yes, because nobody's had a magic childhood since Giant Sized X Men #1.

My treasured magical fantasy that begins with me being an orphan

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As a point of order, The Flash #123 opened with Barry Allen walking down a street to the community centre, where his girlfriend is hosting a charity event for the orphans, and upon arriving learns that the magician hasn't shown up so he lies and says he'll phone the Flash to fill in. Then the Flash arrives (pictured there) and performs the following magic tricks: beating himself at tennis, and climbing a rope then accidentally teleporting himself to a parallel dimension for the rest of the comic.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
wish Funky Winkerbean would get teleported to a parallel dimension for the rest of time tbh

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I had no idea Luann's parents were supposed to be in their mid to late 50s (I'm being generous since I assume Luann's mom isn't saying "Your dad was hot when he was 15").

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kid Fenris posted:

Going by the 2008 copyright on this strip, I must point out that the Nintendo DS had replaced the Game Boy Advance to the point where even little kids wouldn't be asking for a GBA.

They wouldn't ask for it no, but it's what they're going to get. It's an Easter present, not a Christmas present, and mom probably saw an ad in the paper that said they were on sale. If this were about the kid's actual stated preferences the bigger question is why they'd be asking for a TomTom GPS Device.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

This conversation feels pretty awkward since it cuts down most of the text.

Before this scene there was a Larsson's side ends up losing a vote, because he has been broken by all Torsten Bertelsköld's dirty tricks.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I had no idea Luann's parents were supposed to be in their mid to late 50s (I'm being generous since I assume Luann's mom isn't saying "Your dad was hot when he was 15").

Honestly she probably very much is. This is the kind of comic that would absolutely glorify marrying the person you were dating as a preteen. Anything less is pure sleazebaggery! How could anyone form a meaningful relationship with all those sexual urges that occur after puberty?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Heh, someone reminded Olivia:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 31, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 31, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 31, 1989)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (October 3, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 9, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 5, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 23, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 23, 1935)

Mopsy (December 22, 1936)

Dark Laughter (August 7, 1943)

Those Were the Days (September 4, 1952)

PUT! PUT! PUT!

Dinky Fellas (July 14, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 14, 1965)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Ah crap, I actually kinda like that lawnmower strip.

BCN

Phoebe

BC

Baldo has heard what you've been saying about Sally Forth

Wallace

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (August 28 - September 3, 2000)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

Ah crap, I actually kinda like that lawnmower strip.

If you don't let the grass get crazy and you have one of those small suburban yards like in the strip, push-reel mowers are pretty nice. Low maintenance, no noise, no pollution, and they work just fine. I used one for years until I got a secondhand electric from someone who was upgrading.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

The themed panel dividers are a real treat in this one

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "16 - Jucika on Margaret Island."

"Jucika and the Flighty Husband."

Aside from the sheer clownery of this man ignoring Jucika at his side, there's a powerful aura coming from redhead Nega-Jucika.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/9/01

No Stephen Collins today.

Brenda Starr 3/31/46

Smokey Stover 6/16/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I've never seen anything suggesting that predator/prey relationships are in any way representative of gay relationships as opposed to being something resembling interracial marriage. Holbrook's terrible metaphors being generalist garbage certainly could stretch to that reading but he already has a specific terrible metaphor for queerness in "domestication" and he's not exactly a writer who deals in Very Special topics with anything approaching subtlety.

Sorry to drag this up from days and pages ago, but the metaphor in K&K really is that muddled. Back in 2004 when Georgia introduced (and subsequently passed) a Constitutional amendment banning recognition of same sex marriages and unions, there was a K&K storyline where an amendment banning carnivore - herbivore marriages was proposed.

Of course in K&K-verse it didn't pass because everyone was moved by Kevin and Kell pleading their case and showing the politicians how much they love each other. Unlike the real world where the amendment passed with a 76% majority of votes and remained law until Obergefell v. Hodges superseded it a decade later :smith: .

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 03, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Sep. 03, 1944)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "16 - Jucika on Margaret Island."

drat Jucika has that junk in the trunk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you don't let the grass get crazy and you have one of those small suburban yards like in the strip, push-reel mowers are pretty nice. Low maintenance, no noise, no pollution, and they work just fine. I used one for years until I got a secondhand electric from someone who was upgrading.

Definitely gotta keep it sharpened though. I helped out with a neighbor's backyard once and the difference between the first weekend and the second after he's sharpened it was huge. It was still a chore because he hadn't kept on top of things so the yard was knee-high scrub grasses, but it was better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's not customer stupidity, that's customer desperation. "I know they sell them at supermarkets but there's not one here. What else is open?" Been there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

I suspect I know the answer and it's going to make me super mad. :mad:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SubNat posted:

Moominposting