Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm impressed with how good the co-op upgrades are after a lifetime of 300 babies, and I hope someone figures out a way to hack some online capability for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I have good news! Baby Plum is forgiving and will still give you her flute if you accidentally hit her once or twice at the start of the fight.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

does anyone know if the baby plum trick works on other instances of that encounter, ie can I get the flute to drop during the boss rush?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
That last challenge sure was something! I got a Sacred Heart type thing on my first item room and completed it by not picking up a single item the rest of the game. Also had some weird deal where I got a card after every room so that helped.

Red Redemption was a lot of fun too.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hush is a piece of poo poo. I overestimated the damage cap and apparently all his adds (now?) have some random invincibility for a second or so when they first appear. Lost a 9-heart, sacred heart/proptosis/thin mushroom run to him. Even with a full health pill on hand, the sheer amount of bullshit he puts out (now? I sure as hell don't remember it being this stupid) is not okay in a game with hitboxes like isaac's.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sharkitten posted:

My (relatively) fresh file has no completed challenges so I wonder if I should unlock the doubling rune one and see if I can cheese anything with it

This was what I did on my last AB+ save file, and it was extremely helpful for Greed mode. But someone said recently that they've nerfed this with something called "rune shards" or something like that. Like some trash consumable to water down the rune pool so that you can't just cheese only Jera out of the curse/devil rooms in greed mode. I haven't seen it, but apparently, that strategy don't work no more.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Apparently I never did Challenge 3 on my steam file. Wow the soy milk buff really made this challenge way easier than it used to be

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Soy milk is no longer an instant loss. When paired with something that causes your tears to charge up (brimstone, mom's knife, tech x, ipecac etc), it turns them into a machine gun of death.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh lord I unlocked forgotten today. That challenge is brutal.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Get hosed Hot Potato!! And with that I've beaten all the challenges. Found a shovel in the secret room and skipped nearly the whole womb. Picked up Curse of the Tower so when Satan hit me he PAID FOR IT!!!! Flight is good on that challenge cause it gives your bomb bones flight so it doesn't bounce around when it blows up so it can stay stationary.

Now tomorrow I can go back to working on the post-its!! That's gonna take me a looong time.

I'd say Hot Potato and Seeing Double were dreadful but the other challenges were a lot of fun.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 10, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Black August posted:

I'm impressed with how good the co-op upgrades are after a lifetime of 300 babies, and I hope someone figures out a way to hack some online capability for it

Steam's in-built online offline co-op Play Together thing should work for it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Christ tainted Eden is rough. Got about seven health up pills, was doing great, then I rolled into a dead cat and ended up stuck on one soul heart for the rest of the run because none of my rerolls would let me gain or keep any health.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Tainted Lilith has to have more going on than the wiki or platinumgod claim. First off, I'm pretty sure I had the Hive Mind effect (which was doing great work with Apple of Sodom). Also, I was getting a lot of familiar-related items, over multiple runs. Finally, and I'm not sure if this was Tainted Lilith or just an item update, but Monster Manual familiars were lasting the entire floor.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Monster manual lasts the entire floor now

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Also it has a chance to say monster manuel on pickup lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sharkitten posted:

My (relatively) fresh file has no completed challenges so I wonder if I should unlock the doubling rune one and see if I can cheese anything with it

Selectively unlocking runes has been nerfed a little, if you have only some runes unlocked any rune spawn has a chance to be replaced by a "Rune Shard" that has a random effect that pulls from all the runes (unlocked or not) but way weaker. Unlocking all of them stops them from spawning. If you have only Jera unlocked and get a Rune Bag or something you're still gonna get a bunch of Jeras though, just not as many as before. Also stuff like Blank Card and other effects that used to apply to runes now apply to cards only, but I think they all have equivalent Rune versions that can be unlocked.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stelas posted:

Hush is a piece of poo poo. I overestimated the damage cap and apparently all his adds (now?) have some random invincibility for a second or so when they first appear. Lost a 9-heart, sacred heart/proptosis/thin mushroom run to him. Even with a full health pill on hand, the sheer amount of bullshit he puts out (now? I sure as hell don't remember it being this stupid) is not okay in a game with hitboxes like isaac's.

Edmund has talked about some Hush tweaks and a Delirium/Void rework that didn't make it in time for launch -- it would be really cool to see it happen post-release. I'm not against the concept of boss armor but Hush's is really stupid -- just to get a relative sense of how it works, Mother and Mega Satan are the next highest with an "armor value" of 90, but Hush has 160. According to one of the devs, every new boss and enemy in Repentance actually has armor, but none of them feel even close to as bad as the Afterbirth stuff does, so it would be great to go back and fix it

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tainted Jacob is the most frustrating and awful thing I've ever played in Isaac, I'd rather play pre-buff Keeper than this mess.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Repentance isn't launching for me after the last update, cool poo poo. Anyone with the same issue?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Steam's in-built online offline co-op Play Together thing should work for it.
You can also play one each of J and E if you press 'change controller'. Might be how I end up doing those notes, although playing one character each raises new problems with the camera and it sometimes being hard to get both items.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Had the ultimate run on greedier with J&E--Tech X, Magic Mush, Godhead. Esau got em all and melted everything. Greedier mode is so stupid. It's like when they thought of this they said hey, how about we have this mode but have you not really be able to use the mechanics. Luckily the old reliable R key still works!!

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Just did the final bawss with Keeper on my second try... Keeper is good now!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I found Greedier Mode way more tolerable for J&E than the regular game. You don't have the more complex room layouts that inevitably gently caress you and having a damage boost at the start is really useful for keeping waves under control.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I found Greedier Mode way more tolerable for J&E than the regular game. You don't have the more complex room layouts that inevitably gently caress you and having a damage boost at the start is really useful for keeping waves under control.

I felt the opposite--at least in the regular game there's more double item pedestals you can leverage and if you don't have the damage with them you just get overwhelmed in the main battle hall. If I didn't have those great items that could melt the whole room quickly I just couldn't visually process my two guys in the mayhem. You still have the odd rock or hole that screws you when trying to move around the floor perimeter.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

New content questions:

Are there decent item unlocks for beating Mother for each character and/or for hard mode kills? Just got her with Isaac, want to know if it's worth farming her or moving on to other unlocks
What the hell do the hearts with green crust on them do?
Am I wrong in thinking some of Mother's attacks just are not avoidable?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Crackbone posted:

New content questions:

1: For every one you have you'll spawn two flies after each room. They're really good
2: Yes. She's fairly manageable once you know her attack patterns

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Crackbone posted:

New content questions:

Are there decent item unlocks for beating Mother for each character and/or for hard mode kills? Just got her with Isaac, want to know if it's worth farming her or moving on to other unlocks

For hard mode there are only four new unlocks: Mom's Heart with Bethany, Mom's Heart with Jacob and Esau, and the others are for all completion marks on hard. Unless you're a completionist you can ignore them. Not sure about the quality of the Mother unlocks, but I've been impressed with the Repentance items so far - they all seem to be powerful, fun or both. It is definitely worth trying the new non-Mother path if you don't know the meaning of 34, there are a lot of unlocks gated behind it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

For hard mode there are only four new unlocks: Mom's Heart with Bethany, Mom's Heart with Jacob and Esau, and the others are for all completion marks on hard. Unless you're a completionist you can ignore them. Not sure about the quality of the Mother unlocks, but I've been impressed with the Repentance items so far - they all seem to be powerful, fun or both. It is definitely worth trying the new non-Mother path if you don't know the meaning of 34, there are a lot of unlocks gated behind it.

Good character unlocks from that boss: Beating Mother with Cain unlocks a new Guppy item that's really good. Bethany unlocks a top-tier angel room item. Forgotten unlocks an item that is extremely powerful against clusters of enemies. Lilith unlocks a new auto attack familiar that's extremely strong, eventually starts spawning a ton of red hearts, but might become hard to manage.

The rest seems very okay-ish?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

goferchan posted:

Edmund has talked about some Hush tweaks and a Delirium/Void rework that didn't make it in time for launch

I mean, that's cool to hear, but I'd rather there not be an armor value at all, or at least not quite so much poo poo on the screen. Isaac's not Gungeon, and bullet hell doesn't work when your hitbox takes up about 5% of the screen and has inertia. (This post brought to you by Bumbino and his ceiling rock spam.)

Plus, the fun of Isaac to me is getting a nutso synergistic build of stuff together. Slap an artificial limit on it and it just feels bad.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 10, 2021

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I have no idea how to beat the final boss in the Isaac's Awakening challenge. I can make it there pretty reliably but it just seems I can't output enough damage to even get to the 2nd phase. Plus it is really really hard to dodge attacks when you have to be right next to the boss.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the lost‘s holy mantle is an innate property now instead of an item so you can reroll your run without fear of losing it. that said you no longer spawn with the D4 but instead a risky version of the D6

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mother's attacks aren't unavoidable exactly but there's several which you have to just know about in advance, like the laser at the end of phase one and the attack where she runs up and down the screen. I don't really like having multiple "gotchas" like that in boss design, compare it to Hush where all of the attacks come out slowly enough that you could dodge them on the first try.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Having had to pay the utmost attention due to trying to get the completion mark as the lost, the only attacks i have issur with are the pong fistula attack cause you can just be shafted due to poor movement speed and the inhaling attack cause it can spawn bullets on you. The rest you can handle

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a way to have the minimal ui to show the most items and also keep the clock on screen at all times? Toggling it on removes the clock for me if I'm not holding down tab

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

Is there a way to have the minimal ui to show the most items and also keep the clock on screen at all times? Toggling it on removes the clock for me if I'm not holding down tab

I've been wondering that too. It was an odd change to remove the clock on the mini UI

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

ArfJason posted:

Having had to pay the utmost attention due to trying to get the completion mark as the lost, the only attacks i have issur with are the pong fistula attack cause you can just be shafted due to poor movement speed and the inhaling attack cause it can spawn bullets on you. The rest you can handle

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant by unavoidable.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

municipal shrimp posted:

I have no idea how to beat the final boss in the Isaac's Awakening challenge. I can make it there pretty reliably but it just seems I can't output enough damage to even get to the 2nd phase. Plus it is really really hard to dodge attacks when you have to be right next to the boss.

Yeah i found it annoying as hell also--an im drowsy pill is what did the trick for me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, I'm trying to unlock Jacob but I must be doing something wrong.
I get both knife pieces and kill Mom but then the Womb is always the normal kind (or scarred, I guess). There is no secret flesh door to use the knife on.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Inzombiac posted:

I get both knife pieces and kill Mom but then the Womb is always the normal kind (or scarred, I guess). There is no secret flesh door to use the knife on.

Have you been going through the Mausoleum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

You are going to the third alt path(Mausoleum), right?