Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lorne lanning reading about adrenochrome in 2018 and going "whoa, thats exactly the plot of my hit video game, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, this Q poo poo is sick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

homeless snail posted:

lorne lanning reading about adrenochrome in 2018 and going "whoa, thats exactly the plot of my hit video game, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, this Q poo poo is sick"

Adrenochrome is significantly older than Abe's Exoddus.

Stranger's Wrath though was capital A Art so hey, no matter what the crazy man did it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's true, its an idea thats appeared in fiction for a long time, especially in the kind of work popular in the circles he would have run with, so he was definitely already familiar with it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Qanon is easy to latch onto specifically because the premise is so basic and common in fiction. Dracula is basically a Qanon story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Abe's Oddysee biblical allegory mixed with environmentalism and anti-capitalism.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

There's something wild about a series that consisted of four games - only two of which were particularly popular - subsisting on ports and remakes for the last 16 years and somehow still having some cultural relevance.

That studio must be a total disaster to work for. Looking at their Wikipedia page there's at least eight games (as well as a movie and a host of other multimedia projects) that have been conceptualized and scrapped since the series was a thing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

homeless snail posted:

depends on how into Q they are, conspiracy theories are well worn Weird Uncle territory. Q uncles are just the next stage of "9/11 was an inside job" uncles, unless theyre actively shooting up pizza places
The difference is that "9/11 was an inside job" uncles didn't try to overthrow the government to install Bush or McCain as dictator after McCain lost to Obama in 2008.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it's kind of funny after 24 years they're only 2 games into the Oddworld quintology that Lorne Lanning keeps talking about

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The United States posted:

The difference is that "9/11 was an inside job" uncles didn't try to overthrow the government to install Bush or McCain as dictator after McCain lost to Obama in 2008.

Probably not for a lack of desire though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

stev posted:

There's something wild about a series that consisted of four games - only two of which were particularly popular - subsisting on ports and remakes for the last 16 years and somehow still having some cultural relevance.

That studio must be a total disaster to work for. Looking at their Wikipedia page there's at least eight games (as well as a movie and a host of other multimedia projects) that have been conceptualized and scrapped since the series was a thing.
I think oddworld inhabitants was just lorne lanning's holding company for most of that, idk if he actually had any employees since strangers. all the remasters and the oddyssey remake were contracted out

The United States posted:

9/11 truthers I'll grant you are not a particularly violent group, but on the whole Qanons aren't either if you take the incomprehensibly large number of people that share Q memes on facebook vs the thankfully tiny minority that have been driven to violence. sub out the trutherism for idk christian dominionism or anti-semitism or antivax, those are all conspiratorial viewpoints that have lead to actual violence but my aunt that hates jews is unlikely to shoot up a synagogue

pretty much every conspiracy theory is the same thing, a belief in a hidden truth that explains the nature of reality, usually involving people in power secretly exploiting others. and the core belief of qanon that the rich and powerful use their power to gently caress kids, is not a particularly controversial one, if it's not Q then it's jeffrey epstein (that one's true though). their brain is broken and they become fully alienated from society because Q is a ridiculously persuasive system of beliefs that fucks up their entire perception of reality, but most of them are harmless

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 10, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I beat Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate again. Exclusively using Great Swords and not blocking once. The way the game is supposed to be played

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

homeless snail posted:

pretty much every conspiracy theory is the same thing, a belief in a hidden truth that explains the nature of reality, usually involving people in power secretly exploiting others. and the core belief of qanon that the rich and powerful use their power to gently caress kids, is not a particularly controversial one, if it's not Q then it's jeffrey epstein (that one's true though). their brain is broken and they become fully alienated from society because Q is a ridiculously persuasive system of beliefs that fucks up their entire perception of reality, but most of them are harmless

Conspiracy theories are inevitable when there is no other great narrative to society. The American Dream is dead, "bringing Democracy to the world" turned out to be a complete farce, American religion is mainly telling people that god wants them to have an in-ground pool. No one in authority is imaging a future for people to look forward to. Everyone is alone and lonely, adrift in a sea of meaningless consumption and precarity.

So of course grand explanations that explain everything as a battle between good and evil have immense appeal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im nearing the end of rise's mp content. I think they hosed up the balance for 4 players+ dogs cause i just feel bad for these monsters me and 3 japanese guys are just stomping into a 5 minute long stun so they cant do anything as soon as we find them

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

homeless snail posted:

but most of them are harmless

harmless in a non physical way maybe

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My dad is big into conspiracy theories and he's the worst person I know lol

he's a lot quieter about all that stuff now that trump is gone at least (the election was stolen from him ofc)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Im nearing the end of rise's mp content. I think they hosed up the balance for 4 players+ dogs cause i just feel bad for these monsters me and 3 japanese guys are just stomping into a 5 minute long stun so they cant do anything as soon as we find them
I've never thought of monhan as a Hard Game, but rise is definitely the easiest one yet imo at the moment. buddy power is off the charts, wirebugs and silkbinds are crazy powerful, pokemon battles stunlock monsters for a long rear end time, I think they even massively reduced status resistances across the board because I am constantly procing when I bring a sleep or paralysis weapon

I don't hate it but these ichinose games are starting to feel like romhacks

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Just finished Bayonetta.

A real fun game overall, but would have been great if they cut out some of the more frustrating parts and polished up some encounters here and there. The camera was also a bit awkard, especially in the final boss fight were it was really hard to see where attacks were coming from. I'll probably play Bayonetta 2 if I ever see it for cheap on the Switch, and hopefully 3 will be released at some point in our lifetimes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

I've never thought of monhan as a Hard Game, but rise is definitely the easiest one yet imo at the moment. buddy power is off the charts, wirebugs and silkbinds are crazy powerful, pokemon battles stunlock monsters for a long rear end time, I think they even massively reduced status resistances across the board because I am constantly procing when I bring a sleep or paralysis weapon

I don't hate it but these ichinose games are starting to feel like romhacks

Yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Which game should I start next, Oddworld Munch's Odyssey or Robotics;Notes

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rarity posted:

Probably not for a lack of desire though
Wrong, they absolutely would not desire to do that.

homeless snail posted:

9/11 truthers I'll grant you are not a particularly violent group, but on the whole Qanons aren't either if you take the incomprehensibly large number of people that share Q memes on facebook vs the thankfully tiny minority that have been driven to violence. sub out the trutherism for idk christian dominionism or anti-semitism or antivax, those are all conspiratorial viewpoints that have lead to actual violence but my aunt that hates jews is unlikely to shoot up a synagogue
It's not about being a violent group, it's about ideology. 9/11 trutherism was anti-establishment theory, Qanon was pro-establishment theory, it was literally started to explain that trump wasn't actually a giant fuckup under investigation for every possible crime but was instead a tactical genius who could do no wrong playing 4D chess to take down an amalgamation of every conspiracy organization ever in an orgy of mass execution bloodshed.

Well, it's become anti-establishment now, but only because their messiah is out of power and they believe he has a plan to violently return to power.

It's also the difference between your aunt "hating jews" and believing that "jews are kidnapping and murdering children and something needs to be done about it right now" because every news source she listens to tells her so and getting in touch with like-minded people who want to do something about it, which ends up with burning a synagogue.

homeless snail posted:

Gripweed posted:

Conspiracy theories are inevitable when there is no other great narrative to society. The American Dream is dead, "bringing Democracy to the world" turned out to be a complete farce, American religion is mainly telling people that god wants them to have an in-ground pool. No one in authority is imaging a future for people to look forward to. Everyone is alone and lonely, adrift in a sea of meaningless consumption and precarity.

So of course grand explanations that explain everything as a battle between good and evil have immense appeal.
No, conspiracy theories have been around forever and arise and fall based on entirely different factors, what you're describing is that when everyone is lost and adrift they will turn everything into a religion. They'll turn corporations into churches, politicians into messiahs, and yes, even conspiracy theories into religions.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 10, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I would recommend reading The New Hate by Arthur Goldwag, as it goes into exquisite detail about how, at the very birth of America and the founding of the American Dream, the country was absolutely riven with various Freemason, Papist, and Jewish conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories are not a modernist innovation; they're a consequence of the human tendency to seek direct casual agents behind seemingly random events. It's been with us since the very first animists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vermain posted:

I would recommend reading The New Hate by Arthur Goldwag, as it goes into exquisite detail about how, at the very birth of America and the founding of the American Dream, the country was absolutely riven with various Freemason, Papist, and Jewish conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theories are not a modernist innovation; they're a consequence of the human tendency to seek direct casual agents behind seemingly random events. It's been with us since the very first animists.

yeah but that Freemason stuff was true

edit: and considering what we now know that the Catholic Church literally essentially has been running a worldwide organized secret pedophilia network, maybe we shouldn't be mocking the people in the 1800s who bought into all those nunnery expose novels and such. "Americans have been conspiratorial forever, why in the early 1800s they even believed that the Catholic Church was covering up systemic sexual abuse!"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 10, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

Abe's Oddysee biblical allegory mixed with environmentalism and anti-capitalism.

Also, soylent green

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Gripweed posted:

Robotics;Notes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gripweed posted:

X4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Black Stones posted:

Robotics;Notes

OK

Youre too late

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

once again thinking about the person in these threads who thought Mai's win quote was "me boingy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULO-M2wOYs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat is it actually “me bouncy”?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Finally was able to save again. 40 minutes of gameplay over two days, good pace

Also thanks Sojiro, your curry is excellent btw

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Curry is good. Making lamb curry now.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Didn't expect to wake up to someone in this thread defending qanon but here we are.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

homeless snail posted:

depends on how into Q they are, conspiracy theories are well worn Weird Uncle territory. Q uncles are just the next stage of "9/11 was an inside job" uncles, unless theyre actively shooting up pizza places

Late to this but after the whole Epstein thing I have trouble blaming anyone for getting into Qanon. Just like 9/11 uncles, ironically, where it's like yeah your facts are all wrong and insane but we both ended up at the same conclusion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shut up about Qanon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Didn't expect to wake up to someone in this thread defending qanon but here we are.
yeah that would be a hosed up thing for someone to do

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
im never going to play 13 sentinels or qanon no matter how much this thread talks about them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's right I'm into Q... IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPLDpodoEJU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I will play 13 Sentinels once I buy a PS4.

Anyone want to give me a PS4?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's one of those puzzle games with such a clear and clever concept that could have easily become a thing but just didn't for some reason. It could've been the next Picross or Pushmo.

I assume I'm not alone in playing the hell out of the demo and never buying it though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ciaphas posted:

sorta thinking of picking up Ys 8 again, petered out shortly after the first... raid defense? I forget what those were called

but I think an action-y rpg like that is what i'm looking for rn

Oh, strangely enough I just started Ys 8 last night and like, just completed the first raid battle

So far it's really fun and exactly what I've been looking for. I feel like I've been burning out playing a whole bunch of VNs and RPGs, and a fast flashy action game is just what I need for a change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I absolutely loved the parts of YS 8 that were the actual island survival parts. Eventually it turns into much more of a typical JRPG and you stop having to collect water from the river and that's about when I lost interest