Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

more falafel please posted:

Victor Caratini went 13 starts between no-hitters

Johnny Vander Meer pitched back to back no hitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Help me out with something here. Having a brain fart, can't seem to find the answer on google, or else maybe I'm just wrong.

There is a former MLB pitcher who has a son who is currently pitching in MLB himself, isn't there?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
@WHYGAVS and some of the other big pirate fan accounts are melting down about the Musgrove no-hitter, that is insane to me.

Musgrove is a great pitcher who was traded to an excellent team because they are competing and the Pirates are not this year. It's no surprise at all that he dominated a weak lineup with an excellent defense behind him. I really enjoyed watching him and wish I had watched the whole game instead of just the last couple innings.

People really have to relax.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MrMojok posted:

Help me out with something here. Having a brain fart, can't seem to find the answer on google, or else maybe I'm just wrong.

There is a former MLB pitcher who has a son who is currently pitching in MLB himself, isn't there?
Lance McCullers?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

more falafel please posted:

Victor Caratini went 13 starts between no-hitters

Cubs traded him and Yu Darvish for what?

I really think Caratini is undervalued.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lance McCullers?

Oh wow! I didn't even know his dad pitched. Which is bizarre because I see his dad pitched back when I first became a huge baseball nut.

I looked in my fantasy draft because I felt sure someone took this guy, and it was Zach Plesac I was thinking of.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When I first went to Detroit, I saw Verlander take a no-hitter into the 8th inning in his godlike 2011 season where it seemed like he went for a two month stretch where every start seemed to be close to a no-hitter. Atmosphere from the 6th inning on was amazing, lord knows what it would have been like if he'd made it to the 9th

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's surprisingly hard to get simple answers sometimes!

So ERA+/OPS+ is normalized to an 'average' player, right? So 100 would be a league-average player?

What is an 'average player' worth in WAR? What does a 0 WAR (aka replacement-level) player OPS+/ERA+? Is it necessarily recalculated year-to-year?

Said simply, what is the difference between Average and Replacement-level, as a slash line and as OPS+/ERA+?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shrecknet posted:

It's surprisingly hard to get simple answers sometimes!

So ERA+/OPS+ is normalized to an 'average' player, right? So 100 would be a league-average player? They are calibrated so that 100 is league-average, yes

What is an 'average player' worth in WAR? What does a 0 WAR (aka replacement-level) player OPS+/ERA+? Is it necessarily recalculated year-to-year? An 'average player' is normally 'worth' around 2 WAR and yea it changes year to year.

Said simply, what is the difference between Average and Replacement-level, as a slash line and as OPS+/ERA+? The central idea of a "win above replacement" is that the "replacement" is a hypothetical triple A player, not an average major leaguer.

You might also keep in mind that ERA+ and OPS+ are league-normalized measures of a single statistic, whereas WAR is ultimately a model with a plethora of statistical inputs.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Selfish fucks.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1380892576618852356?s=20

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So OK. The Townsville Towns give 500 ABs to Rick and 500 ABs to Tony. Tony puts up a 100 OPS+ season. Rick puts up a 0.0 WAR season.

What do Rick and Tony's slash lines look like in 2020?

Is Tony a 2 WAR player?

What is Rick's OPS+?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shrecknet posted:

So OK. The Townsville Towns give 500 ABs to Rick and 500 ABs to Tony. Tony puts up a 100 OPS+ season. Rick puts up a 0.0 WAR season.

Is Tony a 2 WAR player?

What is Rick's OPS+?

You can't really tell because the average shifts from year to year and also there's lots of ways to get to either a 0.0 WAR season (even excluding defensive contributions) or a 100+ OPS one, all you could really surmise from that is that Tony is likely a better hitter than Rick (though even still you'd have to take their positions into account).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

League average OPS (100 OPS+) is typically around .750, with a slash of something vaguely like .250/.325/.425. It's much harder to say aaasf darSfffda what a 0 WAR slash line would look like, because it also includes defense and depends on position, but yeah. The idea behind replacement level is that it's the level of player that you can have on your roster tomorrow without giving up significant cash or trade pieces. He's at AAA already, he's available on waivers and is making league minimum, he's someone's 26th man and they'll trade him for a PBTNL. If I had to guess what an average 0 WAR player's slash line was I'd go something like .200/.265/.325, so OPS of .590? But again that depends on baserunning, defense and position

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Position matters a lot. You can be a 113 OPS+ season at DH and be below average in oWAR. You can have a 91 OPS+ season as a shortstop and be above average in oWAR.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Always good to reiterate, imo, that WAR is a model as opposed to a 'stat'

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WAR is classically defined as an Advanced Spreadsheet that you do in a Mother's Basement while ignoring the Will To Win.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Everybody knows the only two stats that matter are RBI's for hitters and Wins for pitchers. Anything else is just nerd garbage that's ruining the game.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Cool, Mets start the game with first and third and nobody out, surely they'll get some runs from -

CS
K
K

drat if that doesn't sum up their offense so far this season

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Shrecknet posted:

Is Tony a 2 WAR player?

What is Rick's OPS+?

i would recommend going to fangraphs and bbref and looking for yourself, you could find real life examples of what you are asking

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should never have added “defense” into war. It makes it not so good imho.

Pitcher war is good

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
"Defense is hard to measure so we should ignore it"

i absolutely abhor that sentiment

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
People take WAR too seriously though. It's not anti-analytics to recognize that it's a very incomplete and context-dependent model of a player's contributions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
imo Outs Above Average is a really good defensive stat that's come out in recent years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MrMojok posted:

Oh wow! I didn't even know his dad pitched. Which is bizarre because I see his dad pitched back when I first became a huge baseball nut.

I looked in my fantasy draft because I felt sure someone took this guy, and it was Zach Plesac I was thinking of.

He's the nephew of Dan, but you can throw Cal Quantrill on the pile too since his dad Paul pitched back in the 90's.

Oh, and then there's the masculine child of Alois Terry "Al" Leiter, he's doing ok this year in college.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

imo Outs Above Average is a really good defensive stat that's come out in recent years.

That's my go-to as well. I especially like looking at the breakdowns of jump & closing speed etc, and you can kinda see if someone's 'value' could improve with better positioning if they're, say, poor going backwards on flyballs

I have not grown to fully trust it for infielders but I still like it better than the other metrics out there

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
deGrom in 2021: 14 IP, 1 ER, 2 BB, 21K

and he's about to be 0-1

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/slangsonsports/status/1380965185209434113?s=21

The Mets have scored 0 runs today.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
de Grom is obviously weighing the offense down with his hitting. They should get rid of hi m

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the all-time record for WAR in a winless season is some guy called Bill Stearns who went 0-11 for the Washington Nationals in 1872 for a total of 1.4 WAR

deGrom is going to beat that record easily

e: and Gagné went 2-3 in his CY season, deGrom could beat that for fewest wins for a CY winner

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 10, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if degrom wanted to get more "wins" i would suggest he pitch better to allow his team to win the game.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/adamdberry/status/1380989312427245571

Screwball season

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sucks for Archer, but I'm loving hype to watch Honeywell. Years of him getting derailed by bullshit injuries when I just wanna watch a dude dominate with a screwball. gently caress the Cubs, I know what game I'm watching tomorrow.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

gently caress the Cubs,

:bisonyes:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DeGrom willingly chose to re-sign with the Mets for some reason

That's on him

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's cause they gave him a hundred million dollars OP

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

DeGrom willingly chose to re-sign with the Mets for some reason

That's on him
Looked up his contract, $35m this year, same next, his opt-out after '22 or $32.5m in '23 and a team option for one more year at the same.

Even with the new labor environment at that point does he opts out to seek a long-term deal at similar AAV? e: eh he'd be 34

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If deGrom is still dominating at 34 I could easily see teams lining up to pay him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Looked up his contract, $35m this year, same next, his opt-out after '22 or $32.5m in '23 and a team option for one more year at the same.

Even with the new labor environment at that point does he opts out to seek a long-term deal at similar AAV? e: eh he'd be 34

I think the Mets are talking to him about an extension.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

"Defense is hard to measure so we should ignore it"

i absolutely abhor that sentiment

If the stats are misleading it’s anti knowledge ! You know less !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a-rod will get to be an owner after all

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1381016148054044673