Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oasx posted:

In my experience the ghost leviathan has a short attention span, just keep going if it attacks you, it will quickly lose interest.

You say that but Limmy just had a different experience...

https://twitter.com/Millsy_/status/1380701983733059585?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Skippy McPants posted:

Why no shield?

Anyway, If I recall, their patrol path is large enough that you can just make like a hole in the water whenever they get nearish and creep along that way. Just stay to the edges and go dark any time you get their attention. They'll come over and clonk you a couple of times before swimming off. Just repair the damage and wait until they've moved away.

Remember, it may be counter-intuitive but the best thing you can do once a Leviathan notices you is nothing. They react to light and sound so the more you run the more they'll chase you. Just shut everything off, take a few lumps, and then patch yourself up before moving on.

Haven't found the fragments yet! I don't have sonar yet either which is a bit of a drag.

Yeah, I found that out on my way down to LR when I got nipped by one - thought it was a boneshark but checked the aft camera and saw a leviathan receding back into the gloom. Have generally done a good job avoiding them so far this playthrough, not panicking is definitely helping with survivability.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This is pretty cool. I started up with hunger and thirst on, which I would normally skip in a game like this because I'm bad at it, but it's working out ok. I've been experimenting with air pumps and pipes, but the pipes only want to go down a hundred and something meters so all I managed to do was drown myself pretty far inside a deep sea cave. Still working on getting a repair tool, I finally gave up and googled where to find sulfur, and it turns out the source was well known to me and had almost killed me several times already. My mothership's reactor just went critical and exploded, netting me the radiation suit blueprint. I never explored it before it happened, did I miss out on anything particularly cool?

I like reefbacks the best so far.

Is there seriously a sequel to this coming out next month?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Inspector Hound posted:

There sure is. It's 95% done in early access now apparently.

LionArcher posted:

You say that but Limmy just had a different experience...

https://twitter.com/Millsy_/status/1380701983733059585?s=20

lmao

I'm a long way behind, does he use the loving flashlight in the dark yet?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking as an expert player with nearly three hours of playtime who just learned about both this game and its apparently nearly complete sequel, the flashlight serves no purpose.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

There sure is. It's 95% done in early access now apparently.

lmao

I'm a long way behind, does he use the loving flashlight in the dark yet?

He has not. But he did take 20 mins to figure out at depth he needed to unplug an upgrade to make it a level two depth mod.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

It’s a standalone expansion with a new (smaller) map and some new assets, not an entirely new game.

Inspector Hound posted:

Speaking as an expert player with nearly three hours of playtime who just learned about both this game and its apparently nearly complete sequel, the flashlight serves no purpose.

Not been inside any wrecks yet, I take it?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

None, I'm so excited don't spoil it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

My mothership's reactor just went critical and exploded, netting me the radiation suit blueprint. I never explored it before it happened, did I miss out on anything particularly cool?

You didn’t miss anything, there’s no way in before that point :)

there are multiple PRAWN suits in the biggest room, make sure to scan them so you can build your own giant robit

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Valtonen posted:

Magnetite is found on the jellyshroom cave a ton.

This is absolutely where you want to go for it, but be advised that it is very hard to see. I was told it was in there and I still couldn't find it for like 3 trips inside until I finally found a piece and learned what I was looking for.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Comrade Koba posted:

Not been inside any wrecks yet, I take it?

I've always used the seaglide, the light isn't quite as good but it serves the pupose just fine, and doesn't take up extra space.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Oasx posted:

I've always used the seaglide, the light isn't quite as good but it serves the pupose just fine, and doesn't take up extra space.

For the inventory space the seaglide takes up you could bring six flashlights. :colbert:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Comrade Koba posted:

For the inventory space the seaglide takes up you could bring six flashlights. :colbert:

Sure, but I use the sea glide every time I’m outside of a vehicle or my base, it’s an essential tool throughout the game in my opinion.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Oasx posted:

Sure, but I use the sea glide every time I’m outside of a vehicle or my base, it’s an essential tool throughout the game in my opinion.

Same here. My girlfriend is like Koba and stops using it. Seems crazy to me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Below zero still has plenty of base building if you want to though right? And you can go deep? Because I like the sub story but care way more about getting upgrades to go deep and then build a dope rear end base.

Now do I buy below zero for my PS5 or the bundle for switch... decisions decisions...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

But you can see so much more without the glide! The sense of freedom is so good, especially with the quick fins and the light air tank

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I built a base on the rock shelf in the lost river just as you're descending to the lava bit, around 1000m. It was an absolute grind getting it done, the area has warpers that kept killing me and I lost about 3 seamoths by leaving them up at 900 with the leviathans, but I think it's going to be a real useful outpost especially now it has a moonpool (I can just make it in and out before the crush damage gets me). I've not explored beneath yet, waiting on getting the cyclops, but it feels like the next place to go.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But you can see so much more without the glide! The sense of freedom is so good, especially with the quick fins and the light air tank

On that note, does anyone actually find the holographic map function on the Seaglide useful? One of the reasons I don't pull out the Seaglide for short trips is that every time I bring it up I have to cycle through all the map/light configurations to get the map out of my face.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

On that note, does anyone actually find the holographic map function on the Seaglide useful? One of the reasons I don't pull out the Seaglide for short trips is that every time I bring it up I have to cycle through all the map/light configurations to get the map out of my face.

I found it to be surprisingly useful in Below Zero, there are far more small caves early on that it helps with. In vanilla it's just an annoyance as you say.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same. I liked it in BZ, but never wanted to touch it in the first one. I think they lowered it a little, and flattened it a touch beyond that in BZ?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

LionArcher posted:

Below zero still has plenty of base building if you want to though right? And you can go deep? Because I like the sub story but care way more about getting upgrades to go deep and then build a dope rear end base.

Now do I buy below zero for my PS5 or the bundle for switch... decisions decisions...

Yeap new base parts too, and there are plenty of deep scary bits.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
If you use the seaglide with swim-charge fins, it will charge the battery faster than it's used up. Which not only means you can pile on a massive airtank and armored dive suit and use it to offset the speed penalty forever, but you can swap batteries on the fly to keep everything charged if you want to.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Lost River question:

Tips for sneaking past the ghost leviathan in Lost River with the Cyclops? I have 5 decoys but no shield - don't actually know how to use the decoys as I remember never having much luck with them in my initial playthrough. I could just drop down in the Prawn and run for it/punch my way through but there's no fun in that.

As a general tip to handling leviathans in the cylcops: If you power down, they'll just gently caress right off after they finish their current attack run. Literally 100% stealth while engines are off. So if you can chill waiting for his patrol to go elsewhere (hard for the lost river), or run past and power down until he gets bored and repair the damage. Feel free to spam decoys, they lose a lot of utility once you get the shield. Just fire them off and keep running. Spoilered since apparently we still have new players coming in?! Nice.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Serious question, why use a lamp when the seaglide has one and is better.

BZ has a VERY DISSAPOINTING headlamp it takes the head slot so you can't use it and a rebreather, was so gutted

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I used the flashlight a lot and I would use the seaglide in a pinch but early game I was pretty conservative with battery so I didn’t want to use it for that

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The seaglide's light is dimmer and lights a smaller area than the flashlight. Usually when I need a flashlight it's for close-in work where the seaglide doesn't offer much benefit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The seaglide has sonar, which apparently is a rare loving treat and totally optional on giant submarines.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you don't fix the Aurora, does anything actually happen?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Lost River question:

Tips for sneaking past the ghost leviathan in Lost River with the Cyclops? I have 5 decoys but no shield - don't actually know how to use the decoys as I remember never having much luck with them in my initial playthrough. I could just drop down in the Prawn and run for it/punch my way through but there's no fun in that.

Love getting halfway through the Mushroom Forest in the Seamoth before the tops appear...

Hoof it.

If you really really want the extra storage space, you'll want some sonar to go in without lights.

As I remember, sonar is in the deep reef wreck and the shield I wanna say is in the bulb zone? Maybe the underwater islands.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The various 'rare' schematics actually have a variety of spawn locations, 2-3 possibilities, fixed on game start. Check the wiki for details if you're missing that last cyclops upgrade, it might be in a wreck you didn't visit last game.

Ignoring the Aurora has no negative effects other than skipping its loot and being annoyed by the radiation all game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 11, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I swam over there and tried to find a way in, but all I found were a couple random blueprint pieces and then I got attacked by a leviathan. I escaped, and I believe I managed to scan it in the process. No hole in the hull or any obvious way in, so I gave up after a couple minutes and I'm back to trying to get into the cave that murdered me before.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit: I really need to read things more carefully.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Inspector Hound posted:

I swam over there and tried to find a way in, but all I found were a couple random blueprint pieces and then I got attacked by a leviathan. I escaped, and I believe I managed to scan it in the process. No hole in the hull or any obvious way in, so I gave up after a couple minutes and I'm back to trying to get into the cave that murdered me before.

The entrance isn't particularly obvious. It's not underwater. Go up the left hand side towards the front and there's some wreckage you can climb up onto (you're in the right place if you're getting attacked by the crawler things). You can then clamber up and over towards a way in, but you have to put some fires etc out and you won't get much further without a laser cutter and propulsion cannon

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just dropping in to say watching Limmy over the past few weeks finally got me to try this game and its just what i need right now

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

The entrance isn't particularly obvious. It's not underwater. Go up the left hand side towards the front and there's some wreckage you can climb up onto (you're in the right place if you're getting attacked by the crawler things). You can then clamber up and over towards a way in, but you have to put some fires etc out and you won't get much further without a laser cutter and propulsion cannon

there is also a reaper leviathan that patrols this area, duck in through the ship structure and you should be able to avoid it.

“Should” is not a guarantee, but this sea is a harsh mistress indeed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Doing a chill run of Below Zero as I haven't played it since they first went into early access. It strikes me that a major design flaw of Subnautica is the main thing it does, freeform exploration. There are so many things that I want early on because I like to make pretty bases all over the place, but it took me ages to find growbeds and the alien containment. I've gotten one of the story bits done and I still haven't found loving windows. It's super annoying to me that I feel I have to rush through the exploration portion just to do basic stuff.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok then, I'll give that a shot

Icon Of Sin posted:

there is also a reaper leviathan that patrols this area, duck in through the ship structure and you should be able to avoid it.

“Should” is not a guarantee, but this sea is a harsh mistress indeed.

Oh yeah I immediately found this

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you don't fix the Aurora, does anything actually happen?

You need to keep wearing the radiation suit, but I think that's it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Demiurge4 posted:

I've gotten one of the story bits done and I still haven't found loving windows. I

You can get windows in the twisty bridges in where you can scan the builder.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

uPen posted:

You need to keep wearing the radiation suit, but I think that's it.

I’m pretty sure you need to go in at some point for a particular blue print though. Towards end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The question is more about "fixing" the aurora rather than the loot inside of it. Technically you can skip all of the stuff inside if you're ok with never finishing the Prawn. The plot doesn't need a non-radioactive world to conclude!