Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Ehh, characters break up all the time on TV for badly-written reasons. Fred and Gunn on the outs wasn't even the most egregious case on that show specifically, much less all the even dumber instances of awkward splits across the CW and on other networks.

"This creator being bad must be the reason for this bad plot" is an understandable impression, but a sketchy one nonetheless.

Whedon wasn't focused on Angel when their relationship began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean if you’re going to bag on Whedon for anything relationshipwise it should probably be Xander and Dawn canonically becoming a couple after the finale.

I'm sorry what?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's in the Whedom helmed official follow up comics.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Honest to God, I own probably 20 combined trades of Buffy/Angel follow up comics and I never finished a single volume. I might have even sold the Buffy ones a few years ago.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

Honest to God, I own probably 20 combined trades of Buffy/Angel follow up comics and I never finished a single volume. I might have even sold the Buffy ones a few years ago.

The angel ones not written by the official writing team were bad fan fiction. But then so were the official ones written by the show staff. And yeah, it was full of creepy poo poo like Xander and Dawn being a secret couple.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That makes sense. I impulse bought them years ago while re watching the shows and neither series really did anything for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

That makes sense. I impulse bought them years ago while re watching the shows and neither series really did anything for me.

I read the first "season" of the official book and other than Xander/Dawn all I remember is Angel was the big bad (named Twilight... No points for subtlety there) but then him and Buffy hosed while flying or something and saved the world? Oh and faith was there and being used as the Slayer organization for wet work, which seemed like a big character regression to me.

The not-canon angel stuff at least went full on crazy with saying LA was literally teleported to hell at the shows finale, even if they didn't do much interesting with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the Xander/Dawn thing was in the second or third year of the comics? He's dating a slayer trainee who gets killed in season 8. Also Dawn is a giant for the first half of the series.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I thought the Xander/Dawn thing was in the second or third year of the comics? He's dating a slayer trainee who gets killed in season 8. Also Dawn is a giant for the first half of the series.

I thought in season 1 there was some stuff with them as well, but I might be conflating that with poo poo I saw later. I kept buying those books way after I stopped reading them cause I loved the show and had the completionist sickness, so I may well have seen it while flipping through a later issue.

By the way, I say loved the show cause I tried to watch it with a girlfriend a while back and it does not hold up at all.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
These are all prime examples of why TV shows shouldn't be brought back after their run ends. Not on Netflix not in comic form, nothing. Just let poo poo die.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

These are all prime examples of why TV shows shouldn't be brought back after their run ends. Not on Netflix not in comic form, nothing. Just let poo poo die.

I've liked a couple of the reunion things, but there's absolutely been more bad than good at this point. Like even X-Files whiffed it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Season 4 of Arrested Development broke my heart.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

Has anyone here watched that re-edit they put out? Is it any better?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

It was so loving bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know if I've seen anybody talk about watching S5 of Arrested Development.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know if I've seen anybody talk about watching S5 of Arrested Development.

There was a season five????

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

I read the first "season" of the official book and other than Xander/Dawn all I remember is Angel was the big bad (named Twilight... No points for subtlety there) but then him and Buffy hosed while flying or something and saved the world? Oh and faith was there and being used as the Slayer organization for wet work, which seemed like a big character regression to me.

The Faith stuff is even written by Brian K. Vaughn which proves nobody bats a thousand.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Vince MechMahon posted:

There was a season five????

Netflix buried the hell out of it. I only heard about it cause of the controversy that came out about Jeffery Tambor right while they were trying to promote the season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JT Smiley posted:

Netflix buried the hell out of it. I only heard about it cause of the controversy that came out about Jeffery Tambor right while they were trying to promote the season.

Yeah that's the only reason I know it exists too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

The Faith stuff is even written by Brian K. Vaughn which proves nobody bats a thousand.
Probably some mandate to have her be The Cool Conflicted Slayer That Makes Hard Choices bullshit.

They paired her with Giles for some secret mission stuff, iirc.

Buffy getting super magic reality warping powers, loving Angel in mid-air, and restoring Magic to the world via The Seed was totally "dude writing about womb-envy and all women need to be Mother-Sluts" thing.

Did anyone ever follow up with Fray, the Slayer from the future where Willow is super evil?

And I mention this as much as I can, but the reason Dawn is a giant and then a centaur and then whatever is because she was dating a guy in college and then she totally cheated on him cuz women are skanks and whatever Joss's loving hangup is so she got cursed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
So they just turned Dawn into a random grab bag of fetishes, gotcha.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait was Willow in Fray? I only read the original but don't remember her. I think she showed up in the Buffy comic too, was it in there?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

So they just turned Dawn into a random grab bag of fetishes, gotcha.

Let me tell you about this song James Marsters wrote...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Don't worry, Clone High is coming back and it will break this streak for sure. *Itches at his Futurama avatar and gang tag*

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Did anyone ever follow up with Fray, the Slayer from the future where Willow is super evil?

I remember reading an issue of that because at least at the time I liked Fray but Whedon had forgotten how to write her in the intervening years and decided his amazing made up future slang was a substitute for a personality.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

IUG posted:

Don't worry, Clone High is coming back and it will break this streak for sure. *Itches at his Futurama avatar and gang tag*

Why couldn't you have told me this 17 years ago?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JT Smiley posted:

Why couldn't you have told me this 17 years ago?
Way way back in the 1990s,
Secret government flunkies,
Took our clones of famous bodies,
Put them into high school classes.

Now our sexy teens are going,
Out to prom and into college,
Working, crying, loving, failiiiiing,
Taking on huuuuuge debts

fooooooorrrr

Clone Community High

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karloff posted:

That's a fascinating interview. It's hard to evaluate a writer working in blockbuster films because the end product goes through so many revisions and is touched by so many people that to make a declarative statement about the skills of a writer based entirely on the finished film is difficult. You don't know what edicts they had to stick to and how their script got changed in the process of shooting and editing and this interview provides a rare insight into that process. Chris Terrio has been credited on two films that I consider to have the among the worst writing in a blockbuster film of the last five years; Batman v Superman (and yes, I include the Ultimate Edition which is while better than the theatrical still exemplary of how not to structure character and story) and Rise of Skywalker.

It does seem like being a writer on one of these films is a thankless loving task - all the people who demand changes or add dumb notes don't have to live with the reputation of the fallout. It makes me really keen to see Argo, as that's a film he clearly takes pride in and I would like to see it just to get a better appreciation of his work. But what is clear, and what stands out, is how much there just isn't a basic understanding of what drama and storytelling is at the executive level of these companies. This isn't news of course, but that interview does starkly lay it out. I don't know if Terrio is a good writer who got hosed over in the system, or a bad writer who none-the-less was cut off at the knees by the process but it is depressing how writers are often seen as essentially there to translate a bunch of notes and focus groups results into a screenplay as opposed to crafting a story.

Argo's strength is def not in its writing. Its the acting, and the irreverent tone created thru rapid cuts and the type of visual choices made in the movie. Overall its alright.

I didnt finish the interview with Terrio, because it just seemed like a way to foist off responsibility, without the usual bursts of fun derails you see in a lot of interviews with screenwriters.

I think Terrio does have some responsibility with the bad writing in the Snyder movies, and his other output absolutely doesnt change my mind.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also Argo had some pretty offputting takes on Iranians and never really bothered to see their point of view.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Green Lantern had been a hit we probably would never have gotten any of Snyder's stuff.

I would pay money for what the gently caress happened to that movie from the original pitch of it being a Jack Black vehicle mimicking The Mask, to creating prob the least appealing superhero in modern filmmaking

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

I would pay money for what the gently caress happened to that movie from the original pitch of it being a Jack Black vehicle mimicking The Mask, to creating prob the least appealing superhero in modern filmmaking

The MCU's success happened lol. The suits wanted to chase that money.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The MCU's success happened lol. The suits wanted to chase that money.

I think the Jack Black Green Lantern died before the MCU was a thing. That was definitely a "Good on you for being different, but I don't think this is going to work" situation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think the Jack Black version sounded good, even compared to what we got. Stuff like him getting the ring cause he was on fear factor is just really cringey.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't think the Jack Black version sounded good, even compared to what we got. Stuff like him getting the ring cause he was on fear factor is just really cringey.

Yea It had very early 2000s parody movie feel to the pitch I read. It probably would of had a bunch of of that time celeb cameos where GL flies by and does something hilarious to. Then he uses the ring to play Guitar Hero.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

GL seems like a hero you need to play straighter than either Jack Black or Ryan Reynolds, I don’t get the sense that either of them have the discipline one would need to wield the ring. I’d love the constant push for Hal as the leading man to fall by the wayside, let Guy or Kyle or any of the newer Earth lanterns be the star, the ones with personalities.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea It had very early 2000s parody movie feel to the pitch I read. It probably would of had a bunch of of that time celeb cameos where GL flies by and does something hilarious to. Then he uses the ring to play Guitar Hero.

What was it about that time period that was so extra self obsessed and self reflective that it had to constantly shove in flash-in-the-pan reality tv cameos for just the cheapest, stankest heat

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

What was it about that time period that was so extra self obsessed and self reflective that it had to constantly shove in flash-in-the-pan reality tv cameos for just the cheapest, stankest heat

If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably because reality shows were still very new at the time (or at least were undergoing a huge boom in popularity)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The people who own movie studios also own TV studios, or at least have the same investors

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It probably wouldn't have been good as an adaptation of the material but it was a very good comedy premise. If so many of the gags weren't directly tied to the Green Lantern's whole thing I could've seen the script beiing recycled into a very fun superhero comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

It probably wouldn't have been good as an adaptation of the material but it was a very good comedy premise. If so many of the gags weren't directly tied to the Green Lantern's whole thing I could've seen the script beiing recycled into a very fun superhero comedy.

That's funny but what I'm really thinking about is how that first one treats the Lantern power like magic. Turning bullets into bubbles is a counter spell. I don't think I've seen GLs change another ring user's constructs like that before.