Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

krispykremessuck posted:

How the gently caress is ride the lightning a reference to anything but the Metallica song about being executed by electric chair

I worked EMS for years and dealt closely with cops and the violence they perpetrate. Ride the lightning is a widely used euphemism for being tazered. You're giving cops too much credit, they aren't threatening the electric chair. Not when they can summarily execute people on the side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thelonious posted:

I worked EMS for years and dealt closely with cops and the violence they perpetrate. Ride the lightning is a widely used euphemism for being tazered. You're giving cops too much credit, they aren't threatening the electric chair. Not when they can summarily execute people on the side of the road.

The cops said that while pointing his gun at the guy not his taser.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cops said that while pointing his gun at the guy not his taser.

They get em confused sometime. Oopys doodle.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
When the man pointing a gun at you, literally telling you you are right to be afraid, says you're gonna "ride the lightning", he means he is going to kill you.
Any pop culture etymology of the idiom is irrelevant:

Thelonious posted:

You're giving cops too much credit, they aren't threatening the electric chair. Not when they can summarily execute people on the side of the road.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

US Berder Patrol posted:

When the man pointing a gun at you, literally telling you you are right to be afraid, says you're gonna "ride the lightning", he means he is going to kill you.
Any pop culture etymology of the idiom is irrelevant:

If the cop had a taser on him, it's way more likely that he meant he'd switch to his taser and tase the LT.

Regardless who loving cares, the cop's a piece of poo poo and deserves to be fired and prosecuted himself. Deserves to never wear a badge again.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Did VA rescind Qualified Immunity for police or was that somewhere else?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

If the cop had a taser on him, it's way more likely that he meant he'd switch to his taser and tase the LT.

Regardless who loving cares, the cop's a piece of poo poo and deserves to be fired and prosecuted himself. Deserves to never wear a badge again.

Politely disagree. A non-Zero number of people have been killed by police doing exactly what that officer was doing- threatening nonlethal while holding a gun is a lethal loving threat. Not to mention the concept of involuntary grasping (the natural human reaction in that situation is to make a fist) and all it takes is less than a half second inattention on behalf of a non-professional gun toucher to accidentally kill.

gently caress that cop. gently caress that partner. gently caress that department. gently caress anyone who excuses this, because it's the mentality that murders. Cops are supposed to de-escalate, not make things worse because they are power tripping motherfuckers with racist ideology.

Even in Iraq, I tried to give people a chance, because it's what I was paid to do. We pay them to do a job that entails risk, not act like organized crime and murder their charges.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nystral posted:

Did VA rescind Qualified Immunity for police or was that somewhere else?

Nope

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1380920534897197066?s=20

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

boop the snoot posted:

I don’t see what’s so funny

:golfclap:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

You're gonna ride the lightning, pal, just as soon as I put away the lethal weapon I'm brandishing in a rage and draw a separate, less satisfying, more difficult to employ weapon

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/stephanwozniak/status/1380735027579867138?s=20

The only good thing about NextDoor is that it prompted something like this; also good for finding out which of your “neighbors” will be most likely to form a fascist death squad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I might be a dirty hippie sexy euro goon but loving hell that cop should be in prison for attempted murder. That's what pointing a loaded gun in someones face while saying deranged stuff like that is.

Forget all arrogant euro snark, these things genuinely makes your heart ache for all Americans. It's just bloody terrible.

Sure. There are more evils in the world and in America itself to remember, but unlike other horrors, like the loving sexual assault gang last week, nothing is so... Total? as the american murder police.
Systemic, constant, guaranteed, singular. Impossible to stop.

Is there a difference today - between police and the KKK?
Honestly, how could you tell?

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 10, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/bWXazVhlyxQ

Zach and Crew warned you in 92

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's pretty telling that when I saw this headline:

maffew buildings posted:

Liberal hippy vegan California once again trying to drag the rest of the country down to forced gender reassignment abortions. The Klan existed in Northern California in the late 90s, I don't know about now but white supremacist groups and strong racist sentiment have always been a thing in California. Orange County is one of the most blood red voting blocks in the nation, so big shocker this is being done there.

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/public-safety/2021/04/10/police-gear-up-for--white-lives-matter--rally-in-oc

my first interpretation was that the police were the ones attending/organizing the rally.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Don't really need to look much further than Oscar Grant for this.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Some of those that hold office
Are the same that burn crosses

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The easy solution you'll never see.

If you are carrying less lethal, you only carry LL. You keep your big boy toys in the car. Your partner has a gun. He is secondary.

It's not like this is new. Some police textbooks in the 50s advocated having only one officer armed, and the Contact Officer unarmed to ease community worries. The Cover officer just provided overwatch- if any of you have dealt with EPWs, Detainees, or ECPs in theater, this might sound familiar. But no. Lets pay the mentally ill six figs a year to power trip and murder.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

If you are carrying less lethal, you only carry LL. You keep your big boy toys in the car. Your partner has a gun. He is secondary.

It's not like this is new. Some police textbooks in the 50s advocated having only one officer armed, and the Contact Officer unarmed to ease community worries. The Cover officer just provided overwatch- if any of you have dealt with EPWs, Detainees, or ECPs in theater, this might sound familiar. But no. Lets pay the mentally ill six figs a year to power trip and murder.

yeah we've had bean bag shotguns (it's a shotgun painted orange) for decades but you rarely ever seen them deployed. like they can still kill but it's less likely.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/stephanwozniak/status/1380735027579867138?s=20

The only good thing about NextDoor is that it prompted something like this; also good for finding out which of your “neighbors” will be most likely to form a fascist death squad.

Weed smells like poo poo, hth.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

yeah we've had bean bag shotguns (it's a shotgun painted orange) for decades but you rarely ever seen them deployed. like they can still kill but it's less likely.

We have those. We have Bolowraps. We have 36 flavors of tazer type weapons. Maybe my Grunt mind is fried from doing the same job in Baghdad, but if you feel you can't do a cop's job without a gun, you shouldn't carry one.

I've seriously had enough and would prefer a new branch added to the DOD to take over all domestic LE. We nees to have standards and responsibility. Right now, we pay them to subugate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have those. We have Bolowraps. We have 36 flavors of tazer type weapons. Maybe my Grunt mind is fried from doing the same job in Baghdad, but if you feel you can't do a cop's job without a gun, you shouldn't carry one.

I've seriously had enough and would prefer a new branch added to the DOD to take over all domestic LE. We nees to have standards and responsibility. Right now, we pay them to subugate.

coast guard but for land.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Getting J&J shot in the Springs VA.

E: fucks sake, my arm is instantly sore. I can feel the 5Gs.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 10, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

:stare:

This goes well beyond giving the benefit of the doubt into full-on bootlicking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

This is the song of the end in England?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuFCYJQ4os

I like how that album has an Ibiza tag on it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Getting J&J shot in the Springs VA.

E: fucks sake, my arm is instantly sore. I can feel the 5Gs.

My first Moderna shot was hilarious because I didn't even feel the needle go in, then my arm got progressively more sore starting an hour later, but slowly. It never got worse than comical soreness and lasted a few days, but it was definitely a case of McCain arm. Good thing I didn't need to fly anywhere.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

No, it's not bootlicking. Read the rest of the post. gently caress's sake.

Who the gently caress would mean "I'm going to execute you via the electric chair" vs "I'm going to tase you?"

Everyone here thinks the officer was completely in the wrong. No one is questioning that besides that one dude who hosed off. We're simply arguing over the interpretation of a line the POS officer said.

Also, at :08 in the video, I'm almost positive the officer is holding a taser.

The officer's actions, from the get-go, were completely unjustified. Watch a lot of police videos (dash or bodycam) and you'll see how idiotic, unjustified, out of control, and incompetent the cops were. The officer used a common police tactic for "felony traffic stops" - ie, traffic stops that occur after a person commited a felony. You see this after hit and runs, high speed chases, etc. They pull the car over and use pull their guns out and order the person out of the car.

In this instance, this was completely unjustified in every way because 1) the Lt. wasn't fleeing (and the officer himself said that he knows lots of minorities go to well lit areas slowly before pulling over), 2) the stop was over a license plate (which he later saw on the back window), and 3) the POS officer hosed up normal felony stop procedure (so not only is he an rear end in a top hat, he's an incompetent rear end in a top hat), every verbal command, and was completely out of control. He was clearly angry, clearly on a power trip, and if this was a white guy the cop never would have done any of this.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 10, 2021

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

My first Moderna shot was hilarious because I didn't even feel the needle go in, then my arm got progressively more sore starting an hour later, but slowly. It never got worse than comical soreness and lasted a few days, but it was definitely a case of McCain arm. Good thing I didn't need to fly anywhere.

My wife got the moderna shot last week and was out for the day and sore for even longer. She was mad that I had no real side effects from the Pfizer shots beyond the injection site being tender to the touch. Sounds like she’s going to be hurting after the second shot too.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

lol it's bootlicking to think that cops are suggesting they'll use a taser vs. some very weird death threat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktiozJt7WJQ

You can see from this video that he literally says it as he switches from his pistol to his taser. 3:13 minute mark or so.

These cops are loving idiots, as are most cops, and they definitely deserve to be fired.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 10, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Who the gently caress would mean "I'm going to execute you via the electric chair" vs "I'm going to tase you?"

I gotta agree, it really sounds a power tripping cop salivating over the thought of using a taser. That's exactly the macho euphemism I can imagine them having for it.

"You're going to go to death row for a traffic stop and be executed in 15-20 years" feels like more of a stretch and too abstract of a threat considering the rest of the cop's behavior.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Britain has the right idea by disarming most patrol officers and requiring them to escalate to armed cops.

But since that will never happen in the US, I've always thought the least objectionable way to deal with police shootings was to work off their laziness. Cops get to keep their guns, but drawing one breaks a seal that requires hours and hours of justification and paperwork with independent review until they are allowed to get it back.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Britain has the right idea by disarming most patrol officers and requiring them to escalate to armed cops.

But since that will never happen in the US, I've always thought the least objectionable way to deal with police shootings was to work off their laziness. Cops get to keep their guns, but drawing one breaks a seal that requires hours and hours of justification and paperwork with independent review until they are allowed to get it back.

We pay them enough for murder, we don't need to pay them overtime, too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Within 10 seconds, my arm was sore, I could feel it in my fingers. About 45 minutes later, just the upper arm is sore. I took a tylenol and am soothing my soul with fried chickens and jojoes.

Also dabs. Went to the weed store on the way to the clinic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Within 10 seconds, my arm was sore, I could feel it in my fingers. About 45 minutes later, just the upper arm is sore. I took a tylenol and am soothing my soul with fried chickens and jojoes.

Also dabs. Went to the weed store on the way to the clinic.

But did it rewrite your DNA to pick up 5G signals

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

My wife got the moderna shot last week and was out for the day and sore for even longer. She was mad that I had no real side effects from the Pfizer shots beyond the injection site being tender to the touch. Sounds like she’s going to be hurting after the second shot too.

My first jab I had the sore arm, and the following morning was super nauseous, but it wore off quickly. My second one is in about two weeks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Dude's lawyer looks like he just hopped out of a longboat with his law-axe:

https://twitter.com/ChanelVanHook/status/1380922893710852103

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Dude's lawyer looks like he just hopped out of a longboat with his law-axe:

https://twitter.com/ChanelVanHook/status/1380922893710852103

Its Unfrozen Caveman Viking Lawyer!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/1380856724454834176?s=20

so who wants to be the cop defender for these racist-rear end podunk hick pigs, "lets just let put this whole pepper spray thing behind us"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

its like the gently caress you just deployed loving OC in my face eat both sides of my asscheeks I will see you in court

E: Also lol at the EMS trying to excuse away the cops deploying OC, gently caress.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 10, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah gently caress the both of 'em, I hope the LT makes bank out of this and those two cops are out of a job over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

You can't expect British people to know what service rifle British soldiers are issued, because hell they probably don't even know what guns are besides scary boom sticks since guns are illegal in Britain. They probably google image searched "kneeling soldier clip art" and stuck it over the Union Jack because why the hell not.

The kind of person who would make this image and post it on social media is not the brightest light bulb in existence.

Oh the takes from the soggy island prison fortress are coming in very hot lately friend. All it took is one old geezer croaking and they're showing their true colours :mmmhmm: