Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

OldMemes posted:

If they ever do a 9/Jack audio, they'll probably have to record separately, because apparently Eccleston doesn't like Barrowman at all.

To be honest, given what he's done behind the scenes (such as repeatedly exposing himself), I'm surprised there's never been any major backlash against Barrowman - this kind of thing could have ruined the career of someone else.

At the same time, it's kinda iffy looking back at the infamous things Troughton and Hines did to Padbury and Watling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought I recalled that Baker and Jamieson had patched things up? By which I mean Tom had apologized for being a piece of poo poo towards her? Maybe I just want to think that because I like Tom Baker so much....

Davros1 posted:

And Janet Fielding's first phonecall as agent was about her client Paul McGann auditioning for Doctor Who in 96 (The TV movie will be 25 years old next month, FYI.)

Continuing a theme of things that I think I remember, I believe that after she ended the phonecall she threw up her arms and shouted,"Am I EVER going to escape this loving show!?!" :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I thought I recalled that Baker and Jamieson had patched things up? By which I mean Tom had apologized for being a piece of poo poo towards her? Maybe I just want to think that because I like Tom Baker so much....

Oh yeah, he apologized years ago for his behavior towards her on the show. She absolutely adores him now. You should look up DWM #477, where she had penned an open letter to her younger self, and she talks about her relationship with Tom. It's wonderful.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Tom and Louise Jameson had patched things up (I believe they've done some DVD/BR commentaries together), however Tom and Lalla Ward never did - unless they've maybe been willing to work together while social distancing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Oh yeah, he apologized years ago for his behavior towards her on the show. She absolutely adores him now. You should look up DWM #477, where she had penned an open letter to her younger self, and she talks about her relationship with Tom. It's wonderful.

Oh that's good, I'm so glad :unsmith:

Before COVID at least I think Lalla Ward said Big Finish had just assumed she and Tom would record separately but she told them she had no issue on her end with recording with him in person?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's good, I'm so glad :unsmith:

Sophie Aldred told a story about being booked on some program with Tom in the 90s; they rode in together, sat in the green room together, all in silence. Then when they were on the stage, she (in her own words) "... said something vaguely intelligent." After which Tom became animated, and wouldn't stop talking to her, asking her about her life, her career, offering her advice, etc.

Fast forward something like six months to a year later, she's booked on something with Tom again, and they haven't seen each since that first interaction. She's sure he doesn't even remember her, but when she entered the room, he got up, marched over to her, threw his arms around, and announced to everyone present "I'm thinking of adopting Sophie!"

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

So many great Tom Baker stories!

...that aside I just wanted to whinge now that someone brought up the Silence. I'm still so bitterly disappionted they couldn't follow through with idea... When they were marking themselves with the textas to let themselves know they'd seen one was so great, I hadn't been that creeped out since Planet of the Spiders!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I don't remember the issue but I know I read a DWM many years ago where, discussing how they'd patched things up, Louise said Tom said to her "I wasn't very good to you, was I, my dear? I'm so sorry", or words to that effect. Which for her was like a weight being lifted off her and that allowed her to truly heal. And I heard Tom saying something (either in an interview, or as a behind-the-scenes thing on one of the BF 4th Doctor audios, I forget which) about how he couldn't believe how cold he'd been to Louise back in the day, because she's such a warm and giving person. So yeah, they've definitely worked things out and we're all the richer for it. :)

Davros1 posted:

Sophie Aldred told a story about being booked on some program with Tom in the 90s; they rode in together, sat in the green room together, all in silence. Then when they were on the stage, she (in her own words) "... said something vaguely intelligent." After which Tom became animated, and wouldn't stop talking to her, asking her about her life, her career, offering her advice, etc.

Fast forward something like six months to a year later, she's booked on something with Tom again, and they haven't seen each since that first interaction. She's sure he doesn't even remember her, but when she entered the room, he got up, marched over to her, threw his arms around, and announced to everyone present "I'm thinking of adopting Sophie!"

That reminds me of the story about when Anthony Ainley met Sophie during the filming of "Survival", and he was friendly enough towards her...but when he discovered that she liked cricket (a sport on which Ainley was very keen), he proclaimed her to be one of his best friends and they kept in touch for years afterwards. :unsmith:

Or the story about when Sophie met Christopher Eccleston, shortly after he'd finished his run as Nine; she was strolling along with her daughter, and ran into him somewhere (I think outside the BBC), and he just assumed she was a fan at first and was polite...but when he discovered that she'd played Ace in the original series, he became super friendly and was asking her questions about her time on the show (and she tried to convince him to come along and do conventions and fan cruises, but he declined as it wasn't his thing...though, knowing what we know now, I'm sure it was just difficult for him to come to terms with how his run on the show had gone, and he probably didn't want to be reminded of it too much).

Zaroff posted:

To be honest, given what he's done behind the scenes (such as repeatedly exposing himself), I'm surprised there's never been any major backlash against Barrowman - this kind of thing could have ruined the career of someone else.

What's this about Barrowman? I honestly don't think I've ever run across any of the behind-the-scenes stuff that involved him. Hell, it's only recently that I found out he and Eccleston didn't get along. Which is a pity, as out of all the stuff in NuWho since its' return, I always liked the brief run we got with Nine/Rose/Jack.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 6, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
From the impression I've gotten from all the behind the scenes interviews on the 4th Doctor sets, Tom and Lalla have no issues working together these days. They probably don't shoot the poo poo in the green room like old friends, but they seem fine being professional and doing the job

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was a great tweet from Sophie Aldred years back where she'd just been to the gym and ran into Karen Gillen, and was surprised she knew who she was but they got on great and took a photo together, and she was basically lamenting the photo HAD to be when she was sweaty with no make-up on :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah I don't recall hearing about Eccleston v Barrowman before either. drat shame if it stops the 8 boxsets of 9/Jack/Rose audios I feel I am personally owed by RTD for teasing us with an awesome combo then yanking it away after a couple episodes.

Then again we can probably add it to the stuff "Big Finish Will Never Get To Do"

Get Tom Baker to reprise his role
Get the rights to the New Series
Recast the OG actors for new stories from the 60s and 70s era
Get Eccleston to reprise his role
YOU ARE HERE
Get Eccleston to work with :argh: BARROWMAN!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Astroman posted:

Yeah I don't recall hearing about Eccleston v Barrowman before either. drat shame if it stops the 8 boxsets of 9/Jack/Rose audios I feel I am personally owed by RTD for teasing us with an awesome combo then yanking it away after a couple episodes.

Then again we can probably add it to the stuff "Big Finish Will Never Get To Do"

Get Tom Baker to reprise his role
Get the rights to the New Series
Recast the OG actors for new stories from the 60s and 70s era
Get Eccleston to reprise his role
YOU ARE HERE
Get Eccleston to work with :argh: BARROWMAN!

I remember reading something where Billie Piper said she wasn't interested in playing Rose again, and the only reason she did the 50th anniversary was because it was a different character that just looked like Rose, so we probably wouldn't get those audios anyways...

...but then, we never thought we'd get any of the other stuff you mentioned, either, so who knows, eh? Who. Knows. (taps side of nose enigmatically)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember reading something where Billie Piper said she wasn't interested in playing Rose again, and the only reason she did the 50th anniversary was because it was a different character that just looked like Rose, so we probably wouldn't get those audios anyways...

she's already done a set as Rose for Big Finish with Tennant

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Well heck, forget I said anything then :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

And her own spin-off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think she meant in live action.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've never listened to a Big Finish story. Am I the only one waiting for Deep Fakes, AI, and CGI to get good enough for them to hit the "Render Who" button and make new TV episodes out of them?

I'll be watching Big Finish in 2035 thank you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I've never listened to a Big Finish story. Am I the only one waiting for Deep Fakes, AI, and CGI to get good enough for them to hit the "Render Who" button and make new TV episodes out of them?

That sounds horrific, ngl.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

That sounds horrific, ngl.

You're using your imagination wrong!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Those Baker and Aldred anecdotes are just so wholesome. I remember on one of the DVD extras, they said Tom Baker gave up smoking in public after getting the part, because he wanted to be a good example to children on the street, which is utterly charming.

Apparently Sophie Aldred filmed a pilot for a children's show where she was the presenter, as kids explored the careers they could do as adults. Seems like standard 90s kids TV stuff. It didn't get picked up, but that's the industry sometimes. It might be because they gave it one of the worst title ideas I've heard.
I don't think even someone with Aldred's charisma could have made a kids show work with a title like Sophie's Choice. I'm not sure how no-one on the production picked up on the :stare: factor of that title.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

That sounds awful, and completely against the lo-fi British charm of the show. Boot up Spotify and try a few, using your imagintion is part of the fun, I like to imagine them with the rough 80s BBC set design, it adds to the fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm a big fan of the BF stories that push boundaries, rather than just replicate versions of the past. And I can't help but think that Deep Fakes would be bound to recreating the past, for so long, just to prove that they are identical to the originals.

The technology is going to limit the kinds of stories that can be told.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I agree wholeheartedly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm a big fan of the BF stories that push boundaries, rather than just replicate versions of the past. And I can't help but think that Deep Fakes would be bound to recreating the past, for so long, just to prove that they are identical to the originals.

The technology is going to limit the kinds of stories that can be told.
Have to admit that the animated reconstructions, while good to have, feel as if they're being constrained by what was shown in the telesnaps (and the recon's budget, of course) so often have a very slow, static air - probably more so than the live-action would have simply because the latter has real people to look at. I've got into the habit of watching them at 1.5x speed.

It'd be interesting to see what someone could do with the original script and recorded dialogue while taking a modern approach to the animation, but again, money would be the major issue there. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing a full CG recon of The Daleks' Master Plan that goes all-in on scale and spectacle rather than "everything must look exactly as it would have done when shot in a pokey TV studio in single takes on a rushed schedule", even if it upset the grognards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been dreaming of a good DW animated series for 30 years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

These are cool but it's kind of weird when they try to illustrate tits on a lego. legos dont even have genitals, ive checked

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OldMemes posted:

That sounds awful, and completely against the lo-fi British charm of the show. Boot up Spotify and try a few, using your imagintion is part of the fun, I like to imagine them with the rough 80s BBC set design, it adds to the fun.

No thanks! I await our inevitable robot built entertainment future. Don't worry though, I'm sure the BBC will opt for the cheaper bots to maintain the lo-fi British charm and 80s set design.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What's this about Barrowman? I honestly don't think I've ever run across any of the behind-the-scenes stuff that involved him. Hell, it's only recently that I found out he and Eccleston didn't get along. Which is a pity, as out of all the stuff in NuWho since its' return, I always liked the brief run we got with Nine/Rose/Jack.

From what I heard, Barrowman had a habit of deliberately exposing himself frequently in front of people (IIRC there was one radio interview where he did it as well), and that had rubbed Eccleston the wrong way.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm just bracing for a metoo moment for Barrowman. Keep hearing more anecdotal stories as the years go by.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Amelia Pond looks so angry....

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Payndz posted:

Have to admit that the animated reconstructions, while good to have, feel as if they're being constrained by what was shown in the telesnaps (and the recon's budget, of course) so often have a very slow, static air - probably more so than the live-action would have simply because the latter has real people to look at. I've got into the habit of watching them at 1.5x speed.

It'd be interesting to see what someone could do with the original script and recorded dialogue while taking a modern approach to the animation, but again, money would be the major issue there. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing a full CG recon of The Daleks' Master Plan that goes all-in on scale and spectacle rather than "everything must look exactly as it would have done when shot in a pokey TV studio in single takes on a rushed schedule", even if it upset the grognards.

The animations are in this weird place where they're adapting very stagey, theatrical productions into a format where the characters mostly stand still and don't emote. I think you could make successful animations still using the original audio tracks, but like you said, it would be way out of the BBC's budget. I think the best bet for the missing stories would be adapting them to another medium altogether like comics (the novelizations are of course good too). Alternatively, adapt them for another Doctor. This is something Big Finish would actually be good at, provided you have a good enough writer.

It's neat that we have the original audio tracks, but honestly I think they're stifling creativity when it comes to missing episodes. Troughton's voice is only like 50% of Troughton's acting anyway, we shouldn't obsess over preserving 50%. It's fine when you have a story with only 1 missing episode, but redoing serials that are entirely missing is a bit much.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SecretOfSteel posted:

Amelia Pond looks so angry....

That one doppleganger lady must have flirted with Rory again. :v:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just listened to The Genocide Machine on spotify, and for Big Finish's first take on the Daleks, it's fairly good! The sound design is fairly convincing at creating a wet atmosphere, the aliens are alien in a way that would have been hard to do on TV, there's some fun switch-a-roo with Dalek duplicates (they seem to have stopped using those?) and it's always fun when the Briggs Daleks shout and argue with each other.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

there's some fun switch-a-roo with Dalek duplicates (they seem to have stopped using those?) and it's always fun when the Briggs Daleks shout and argue with each other.

:ssh: The Dalek Soul 2 parter of the Alien Heart/Dalek Soul release starring Peter Davison

There was a behind the scenes story about Genocide Machine where Briggs, Gary Russell, and Jason Haigh-Ellery all voiced Daleks in it. Hearing the early rushes on it, Haigh-Ellery heard one of the Daleks and "God, that's awful", then said "That's me, isn't it?" He then had Briggs do the dialogue instead.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The Apocalypse Element is LOUD. It's a fairly big scale for an early Big Finish story, so lacks the polish of later more "epic scale" stories that they'd show off in later years (such as the Time War stuff, which this got nicely retconned into). The rhythm of Dalek dialogue when they're talking to each other hasn't quite been locked down yet, but they make up for it for the Daleks SHOUTING and using VERY LOUD sound effects instead.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rewatching Doctor Who and I forgot how much the episode previews spoil the next. They usually have a moment where it'd be a logical place to stop the tease, but then they go on to reveal like the act and 3 twists or reveals as well. Like, this one could've been "Uh oh, surviving Slitheen is back and up to no good!" Instead they continue and start showing us the gist of their plan, then show us the big danger thing happening, then still go on to show the parts where they're trying to deal with it. Why??

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Rewatching Doctor Who and I forgot how much the episode previews spoil the next. They usually have a moment where it'd be a logical place to stop the tease, but then they go on to reveal like the act and 3 twists or reveals as well. Like, this one could've been "Uh oh, surviving Slitheen is back and up to no good!" Instead they continue and start showing us the gist of their plan, then show us the big danger thing happening, then still go on to show the parts where they're trying to deal with it. Why??

The worst was for Bad Wolf. The episode itself does this great job of slowly building to the reveal of the Daleks, complete with little clues and cues that classic fans could pick up (the ambient noise in the spaceship), but the promo at the end of the last episode gave it away instantly.

And like, obviously that's good for ratings. I get why they do it. Still, a pity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maxwell Lord posted:

The worst was for Bad Wolf. The episode itself does this great job of slowly building to the reveal of the Daleks, complete with little clues and cues that classic fans could pick up (the ambient noise in the spaceship), but the promo at the end of the last episode gave it away instantly.

And like, obviously that's good for ratings. I get why they do it. Still, a pity.

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXSC-jROOjo

They did it next year again for Army of Ghosts/Doomsday with that big long trailer. They show off the Cybermen repeatedly, but there's a very clear shot of someone being exterminated by a Dalek weapon, ruining that surprise too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, super glad I skipped that one. I mean, I've seen these before but I've got a swiss cheese memory so that would've completely spoiled bad wolf for me. I was already avoiding looking it up because I had forgotten who it was. In the episode some Dalek noise tipped me off and then I remembered.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And that's why I skip previews and spoilers/leaks/summaries for just about everything nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

And that's why I skip previews and spoilers/leaks/summaries for just about everything nowadays

I was going to say that I seemed to recall the "Next time on..." / "This season..." promos got better under Moffat's reign, and I believe they generally did in seasons 5 and 6, but then I remembered that eventually caution got thrown to the wind and we had John Simm's laugh punctuating a trailer for season 10.