Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arven posted:

Is it possible to do hard cosmonaut without mods for the smaller factories? I tried today and just barely got to autarky before I ran out of money, and I was using said mods.

Depends on how many oil wells you want to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cosmonaut is import everything at the map edge or produce domestically isn't it?

As far as stabilizing income goes I find tourism to be tremendously helpful and simple to do.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Cosmonaut is import everything at the map edge or produce domestically isn't it?

Oh. I was just doing the second part.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you even do that? You would need to basically start the game completed surely? Like that's the game is setting up all the industries isn't it and you can't even build things like power lines without electrical parts.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The small factories are nice if you want a "self produce everything ASAP" start, for sure. Things like coal burners that suck up tons of lumber for a tiny amount of coal for a power plant or heating are super handy, as are getting a small refinery up for cheap to get a trickle of fuel and bitumen for asphalt.

My next save I think I may try to use the military mod (which has a whole host of small temporary looking buildings for construction) and some of the small factories to help bridge the "holy poo poo I need a steel mill and a refinery or I'm going to spend $10million loaned rubles."

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Can you even do that? You would need to basically start the game completed surely? Like that's the game is setting up all the industries isn't it and you can't even build things like power lines without electrical parts.

Oh, woops, I thought cosmonaut just meant get self-sufficiency up and running before you run out of starter cash and by not purchasing any buildings except the starter construction buildings. I was auto-purchasing fuel enough materials to get started.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it was setting up a construction depot at the border and then not relying on the auto-import or buy with roubles things at all otherwise, but I could be wrong?

Basically as in you need to handle transporting everything manually and supply the requisite vehicles and labour to build everything yourself.

E: or if not at the border then like, you need to physically send trucks from your starter depot to the border to purchase goods and then ship them back to your depot.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 7, 2021

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve never done true cosmonaut but I like to play that as much as is tolerable because it’s very fun.

I really like your start. I highly respect your sense of space - you have a good look for having enough room that’s enough to fit appropriate roads and rails and that without being super tight and having to wedge stuff together in weird ways. Sometimes I have very tight complexes that I like, but I sometimes think building a little extra space into it makes it look a little more pleasing and absolutely makes it easier to set up connections like rail, road, and other things.

I’m just desperate to play the new patch. I want to pick up my LP again but I need all those QOL changes and things.

It's not 100% true cosmonaut since I've bought a couple of powerlines that needed to move a few meters due to poor planning, but I definitely find that doing as much as possible without automation is the most fun. I really enjoy trying to plan out starts while looking five years into the future for what the republic will need, it's a work in progress. I do wish the road system was a liiiiittle more flexible with how it connected/constructed, but it's totally workable now.

I'm not sure if I'm even going to go back to that save because it's only like ~1963 and I've watched too many videos of the new patch to want to play without those features.

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was setting up a construction depot at the border and then not relying on the auto-import or buy with roubles things at all otherwise, but I could be wrong?

Basically as in you need to handle transporting everything manually and supply the requisite vehicles and labour to build everything yourself.

E: or if not at the border then like, you need to physically send trucks from your starter depot to the border to purchase goods and then ship them back to your depot.

I've been going off of this video and the steam guide that was linked in the description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b61y63f9KE

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1995764447

After auto-purchasing enough infrastructure to begin constructing myself, everything came from the border except for whatever random powerlines that would be too annoying to replace.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Generation Internet posted:

It's not 100% true cosmonaut since I've bought a couple of powerlines that needed to move a few meters due to poor planning, but I definitely find that doing as much as possible without automation is the most fun.

I don't consider buying minor power lines to be cheating, especially since

1) you are physically unable to reach a construction site that connects wires to wires

2) realistically, if you were planning a bunch of small connections, the truck hauling the parts would just bring everything to the site instead of going back and forth one at a time. You don't need multiple trips for 0.04 tons of components. Same with the vehicles going out to the site.

This is actually my biggest complaint about road upgrades, especially in starts with existing villages. Because each walking paths connection can split the road into two separate lengths, and this can mean a 50m street is 15 different objects, you end up with building them one tiny bit at a time. Converting gravel to lighted sidewalk is extremely painful since trucks and people cannot go through construction sites. I really hope that something is done with this where building a road at least allows pedestrian passage at the dirt road speed, or all road construction in a line can potentially be grouped together.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It'd be cool if there was a toggle to group construction sites that touch and let them share construction stores. I'm scared if they're technically in a corner that would make that hard to do though.

Alternately or simultaneously it's also be cool to get a construction staging yard that is less expensive than especially the warehouses that lets you at least ship whole trucks of electronic and mechanical components 75% of the way without erecting new construction store yards and warehouses in the town center. This seems about more moddable at least, although micro intensive if there isn't some way to make them work a bit like distribution centers but for construction.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

They did add the ability for things like excavators to path directly to a new job instead of having to go all the way home in the last patch. I don’t think it probably works with hauling because of the “take only the amount of goods you need to the site.”

It would be nice if there was a sort of overflow storage for construction. You can’t store 300t of steel for the next phase, but maybe let vehicles drop off lesser used resources in advance so they’re there and ready for the next phase.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

They did add the ability for things like excavators to path directly to a new job instead of having to go all the way home in the last patch. I don’t think it probably works with hauling because of the “take only the amount of goods you need to the site.”

It would be nice if there was a sort of overflow storage for construction. You can’t store 300t of steel for the next phase, but maybe let vehicles drop off lesser used resources in advance so they’re there and ready for the next phase.

For adjacentcy jobs with multiple stages of equipment, having them just wait there would be nice. Done paving this section of asphalt? Cool, please wait at the next one, unless there's another job that needs you now. Rollers and bulldozers too! I definitely have not seen excavators route between sites but I suppose I wasn't looking.

Being able to place equipment into open hulls at the construction factory is a gigantic time saver, to say nothing of preventing the traffic from blacking up behind it. There's just so many little QoL things that would help.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-22

Not too much new (about this patch) but some teasers for the next one. I am excited for so much in this new patch that I can’t stand it. I don’t want to play without so many of the teased features already.

I am a little on the fence about the police mechanics. I think they could be cool, but I’m worried they might end up creating weird political arguments that I hope the devs either ignore or are prepared for. Beyond the title and the monuments the game feels really apolitical if you can handwave a fully planned economy as just a game mechanic. I suppose I don’t mind the game taking a stab at this, but I’ll have to see what it looks like and I hope they’re very conscious about the sensitivity around having secret police.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-22

Not too much new (about this patch) but some teasers for the next one. I am excited for so much in this new patch that I can’t stand it. I don’t want to play without so many of the teased features already.

I am a little on the fence about the police mechanics. I think they could be cool, but I’m worried they might end up creating weird political arguments that I hope the devs either ignore or are prepared for. Beyond the title and the monuments the game feels really apolitical if you can handwave a fully planned economy as just a game mechanic. I suppose I don’t mind the game taking a stab at this, but I’ll have to see what it looks like and I hope they’re very conscious about the sensitivity around having secret police.

There's already a "government support" graph, it just hasn't had any use yet in game, and emigration is already labeled "escapes." Given that the devs apparently either lived through communism or are children of people who did, I think they'll have a better take on this than we do.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Volmarias posted:

There's already a "government support" graph, it just hasn't had any use yet in game, and emigration is already labeled "escapes." Given that the devs apparently either lived through communism or are children of people who did, I think they'll have a better take on this than we do.

At the same time they need to recognize that their game is sold across continents. We'll see what the implementation looks like. I am in general not a fan of games with cops.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Mayveena posted:

At the same time they need to recognize that their game is sold across continents. We'll see what the implementation looks like. I am in general not a fan of games with cops.

I kind of agree with both of you even though the points are different. I trust they probably have a better take than me, an American born after the wall came down, but I also worry about the game as it exists in the world today. Most of all that's why I worry about the feature - they're introducing something that's inevitably sort of controversial and I just hope it doesn't blow up for them.

e: To be more clear - I'm not saying I'm solely worried about it from a "I don't want the devs to get flak" - they could do it in a poor way and have it rightfully blow up - but I'm hoping they wouldn't do that. It's just something I don't personally need in my buildy game and I worry about the controversy.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fair enough, might be sensible to just ask devs to make it an option like winter or fires

Just absolutely gently caress how constant fires are when "frequent" is set, along with how inconsequential it usually is. I usually read the "we put the fire out" message before the "there's a fire" message because I just tune out most of the notices.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I play the game on the hardest settings but always have fires turned off. It's annoying and I wish you only got popups if there was no trucks responding to the fire or something.

I don't mind the crime stuff, but I really hope it's something that you don't have to worry about until you reach a certain size. You already have to throw down a dozen utility buildings at the very start so your citizens don't die or escape immediately, we don't really need more.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Fair enough, might be sensible to just ask devs to make it an option like winter or fires

Just absolutely gently caress how constant fires are when "frequent" is set, along with how inconsequential it usually is. I usually read the "we put the fire out" message before the "there's a fire" message because I just tune out most of the notices.

A toggle would be good.

I can't theorycraft an easy way to do it within the game, but I'd like for fires to be more consequential, but more infrequent. Things like an oil refinery fire really testing your firefighting infrastructure - having distant stations respond to really put it out, but closer ones being enough to at least start to contain it. Ultimately I'm going to leave fires on because on a personal level I hate to think I'm missing some 'challenge' - but they're super binary now simply involving "place another building close enough or don't and stuff burns down."

Maybe helicopters will at least spice it up a little, where I won't need to bus people to a station way out in an oil field and makes it more of a choice of how to tackle fires.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I've started a new Cosmonaut start, just to see how long it takes to start expanding from a border town, without using tourism since that's kind of cheaty. I've left fires on Normal, which is a reasonably small number actually occurring and requires me to not just ignore fire coverage outright while still preventing me from just getting buried in fire notices. Fire helicopters are going to be such a convenience!

I don't think I've appreciated how valuable instantaneous auto pay construction is for things like power lines or paths as much as I do now. Paths definitely need to be able to be constructed directly from buildings like power lines and conveyors though.

Having to import materials like crops shows pretty early how infeasible an import / export economy, even if it's dramatically cheaper than creating crop fields yourself.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

A toggle would be good.

I can't theorycraft an easy way to do it within the game, but I'd like for fires to be more consequential, but more infrequent. Things like an oil refinery fire really testing your firefighting infrastructure - having distant stations respond to really put it out, but closer ones being enough to at least start to contain it. Ultimately I'm going to leave fires on because on a personal level I hate to think I'm missing some 'challenge' - but they're super binary now simply involving "place another building close enough or don't and stuff burns down."

Firefighting jet engines mounted on surplus tank chassis when??

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Fighting wildfires with tank mounted, jet engine powered, flame throwers would be extremely metal.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

No big news in this week’s update except that they expect the public bets this week. Woo!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

No big news in this week’s update except that they expect the public bets this week. Woo!

Tunnel FPS camera fix is big news!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It took me a couple of attempts to get into this game but the last few days have yielded results and I am greatly enjoying being the Biggest Communism Builder. I do hope we get a grid snap option but aside from that I'm remarkably hype about the features that are to be added in the upcoming update, and they seem to be some really great devs who are very responsive and working hard to make what is already a great game even better. I do also have a little hesitancy about the police update, partly because of the political side of things but mostly because I'm not entirely sure the model of citizens and how they act really allows for an interesting crime model? Like it won't add much gameplay wise if it's just notifications when you click on a block of flats that there were 2 burglaries and 1 mugging there and if you build a police station that number goes down.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 21, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just found out about the slow rotate :cripes: that solved most of my problems with aligning buildings. Now if only there was a "go 90 degrees from this road" button when laying streets

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Danaru posted:

I just found out about the slow rotate :cripes: that solved most of my problems with aligning buildings. Now if only there was a "go 90 degrees from this road" button when laying streets

A lot of times you can turn on the grid view to solve this, but only if you’re closely grid aligned with the first road. You can also mostly eyeball it, but I share the want for more snapping. Particularly I’d love to have a 30/45 snap for a lot of roads but it seems like the way they’ve built their (road) network system has some limitations so I suspect that some of that snapping isn’t easy.

I’ll definitely at least take the parallel feature they’re bringing in this patch. I suspect it won’t have it but I want it to include non-alike parallels (ex: make a low voltage line follow parallel to a roadside.)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Crime in communist countries was so much different. For one thing, small scale stealing and burglaries were non-existent because a)there wasn’t much to steal and b)there wasn’t anything you could do with the stolen stuff. Family violence and sexual stuff was kept under the rugs. Vagrancy and alcohol related crimes was 90% of what police was after, with the other 10% stuff being dissident-related. Perhaps that would make for interesting gameplay - busting underground print shops, dissident networks and spies. A sim-city/skylines model would suck.

For reference: https://www.mobygames.com/game/solidarno

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently the next update is in the public beta branch!

quote:

major and medium changes:

- Helicopters
- Ability to set what resources can carry the vehicle or train, also per wagon
- Fences support, first implementation (for now only as decorations)
- Key for shooting a screenshots and time elapse support
- Pedestrian infrastructure - overpass and underpass, bridges and tunnels
- Rain, sunlight and wind weather parameters, and added rain effect with volumetric fog
- Added solar, wind and gas power plants
- Favorite vehicle selection
- Favorite building selection in the workshop menu
- Possibility to set favorite workshop buildings from the classic building menu
- Game was optimized, you should get more FPS with bigger maps
- Scalable windows
- Detailed walking paths for citizens within the buildings
- New old city buildings
- Buildings like construction office, woodcutting post, etc. which handle the working vehicles, now they have fuel storage and possibility to refuel vehicles inside building
- At end of year you are prompted in case inflation is high to cu the prices by /100 (this is also available at debug functions)
- "Near snaps" just like for rails was added to roads and pipes
- Possibility to place the underground pipes and heating pipes
- Topographic terrain elevation added into wireframe display
- If overlays are enabled for electricity, wires should be colored to red according to consumption
- Underground mode
- New window for save and load game in the game
- Possibility to auto-finance construction by groups
- Added notification about missing electricity, heating, unemployment, traffic jams etc.
- Added possibility to draw patches on ground - it is only decoration
- Added new vehicles (huge capacity flat bed truck, Yugoslavian vehicles, and one bulldozer)

notable smaller changes:

- Revised vehicle loading/unloading code, now if vehicle have specified unload specific resources and wait until unloaded, in case all of specific resources unloaded, vehicle should move to next stop, same if vehicle have specified to load specific resource, if there is no more space for those resources vehicle should move to next stop even not fully loaded with other vehicles
- Now when there are added small amounts of resources to the loading station, vehicle will not stay at station unless specified "wait for load" flag
- Terraforming and building placement is now possible over the tunnels
- Now by default all workshop buildings have the game's border even they have defined imagegui, in case your item have the proper border you can define $GUI_NOBORDER flag in the workshopconfig.ini to process with the classic way (where image is no scaled down and no border is added)
- For modders: Added animation support for other buildings factories/power plants/attractions/pub/shop/playground/church/cinema .. added token for animation speed in frames per second - $ANIMATION_SPEED_FPS 30.0 (default value is 30.0)
- Now when building get destroyed by fire is possible to rebuild it
- Now there is difference between the electrified railroad bridges and not electrified. If you will open new version all your finished bridges will be transformed to electrified version automatically. You can use electrified railroad tool to upgrade non electrified bridges into electrified version (similar as road trolley bridges)
- Possible to sell vehicle or demolish building by pressing DEL key
- Window of infrastructure construction now display proper icon
- Now quality for source is mentioned when building is placed
- Fixed problem about DO office can send the vehicle to load fuel at cargo harbors (for example) and struck there
- Sorting of vehicles according value, type, speed, etc.
- Sorting of resource price at statistics or custom house
- Schedule you can copy now even into window of road depot

https://steamcommunity.com/app/784150/discussions/6/3124911622541548426/

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

- Fences support, first implementation (for now only as decorations)

Snapping fences! Didn't expect that one. I cannot wait to check this patch out in depth after work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Haha! So they did use the bridge tech for other things too.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I started a new semi-cosmonaut game for the patch (I say semi because I'm playing on an island map so I cheated and auto-bought fuel until I was self sufficiently able to make it), and the new stuff is nice. Underground pipes require more gravel and labor the deeper they are, and construction and distribution offices seem to be behaving a lot more intelligently. Haven't gotten to helicopters yet!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't jumped into the new update yet but I did just watch this summary video from my go-to YouTuber for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYs9GDyB3qQ

Real excited for everything so it's hard to single anything out, but those pedestrian overpasses look real neat. I'm kinda torn on whether I want to start a new map now or wait for it to come off the test branch.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 21, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven't jumped into the new update yet but I did just watch this summary video from my go-to YouTuber for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYs9GDyB3qQ

Real excited for everything so it's hard to single anything out, but those pedestrian overpasses look real neat. I'm kinda torn on whether I want to start a new map now or wait for it to come off the test branch.

So obviously every patch is going to be different, but I jumped on the planes patch on the test branch and didn’t have any game breakers and the save carried through fine onto the official release. Poking around at lunch I found a few weird things (immense lag placing fields,) but they seem to get it relatively stable before it hits public test.

I will say that the electrical overlay, while better than nothing, isn’t what I expected. It’s still kind of a pain to lay electric wires in a way thats not always anticipating for the maximum wire grade.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:eyepop:

Hot dang! I'm going to tinker with my current game a little longer because I want to make sure I have a good grasp of some of the supply chains and connections (was massively baffled today by how to store concrete and asphalt until I learned you can't) but I'm looking forward to hopping onto this and beginning a new glorious Soviet Republic for the wellbeing of the people, hopefully one where the factory conveyors don't quite approach Factorio levels of Spaghet like this place has :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm absolutely delighted by the helicopter based construction, except for the small issue that you cannot deliver asphalt by helicopter and most buildings still require asphalt...

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
One bad thing (maybe a bug?) about the beta patch seems to be that asphalt roads now take as long as railroads to build. Only a single piece of equipment can be assigned no matter the size, so stretches of highways take years to build.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arven posted:

One bad thing (maybe a bug?) about the beta patch seems to be that asphalt roads now take as long as railroads to build. Only a single piece of equipment can be assigned no matter the size, so stretches of highways take years to build.

Break that bad boy down into manageable chunks!

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Arven posted:

I don't think that's a bug at all but yes it sucks. Still, they don't take that long, sounds like you need some more dump trucks or busses because asphalt trucks can queue up to jump in when the current truck empties out, and busses can drop workers off at a road to supplement a machine that's laying down gravel, paving, or rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Small update to the test branch today:

quote:

0.8.4.7 - PUBLIC TEST

-Hotkeys for wireframe, topo-graphics, underground and near snap
-Possibility to build tunnels bellow the buildings
-Settings for notification messages in general settings
-Optimized building placement
-Fixed skin problem on buildings with self shadow
-Now is possible to upgrade bridge by using corresponding bridge tool
-Swing cage carousel will now not works when external temperature is low
-Now snapping is used also on the rail removal tool to easier remove rail tracks closed to each other
-Now also production line have checkbox for stopped production notification
-Fixed crash related to dead-end fuel stations for trains
-Fixed crash when trying to specify per wagon setup, if train wagon have specified not a default skin
-Fixed issue with struck helicopter in CO
-Decreased resource capacity for one of the RMN flat bed truck (18 tons was too much for truck without trailer)
-Now even checked at CO, deliver mechanism only with trucks, in case mechanism such as crane have high maximum speed than 40km/h, it will go with own movement
-Added warning message about unable to purchase mechanisms such as excavators, bulldozers etc. to helicopter CO in case no helicopters with capability to take the mechanisms present
-Attempt to fix issue with slower loading/unloading of vehicles during low FPS
-Fixed oil refinery bad pipeline connections
-Favorite star click now works only with RMB
-Cableway connections to building editor
-Attempt to fix error polygon when road is finished

I started messing around with an infinite-money cheat world to practice and I noticed that mud paths now cost the same as gravel paths. Might wait for that to be fixed before going all in on a new cosmonaut run. Other than that everything in the new update is awesome. Line spacing :haw:

So obviously every patch is going to be different, but I jumped on the planes patch on the test branch and didn’t have any game breakers and the save carried through fine onto the official release. Poking around at lunch I found a few weird things (immense lag placing fields,) but they seem to get it relatively stable before it hits public test.

I will say that the electrical overlay, while better than nothing, isn’t what I expected. It’s still kind of a pain to lay electric wires in a way thats not always anticipating for the maximum wire grade.

That is good to know! I'm in the same place with the electric overlay, I wish had a better idea of when it's okay to use the nice cheap wooden power poles since the medium voltage steel ones match up 1:1 with substation capacity.