Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Electronico6 posted:

No fortresses of doom, but Juzo Itami's(of Tampopo fame) A Taxing Woman is more or less this exact film. A tiny Japanese tax official goes around passively-aggressively annoying tax dodgers and arresting them during the Japanese 80's economic boom.

It's on the Criterion Channel(also on Youtube but don't go around telling that!)

Does she make terrible puns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

rip, watching the rudolph the rednose reindeer vid in his honor

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1380554621958164481

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I knew it was the most likely outcome but still..gently caress.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXca4WcCzlo

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does she make terrible puns?

She does not, but the title itself is a pun.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

X delivery services have been canceled

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
X Gon :smith:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

There's a whole section of Falcon and the Winter spider where it's just an argument between s liberal and a revolutionary Communist and it's neigh loving unwatchable from the level of ideology at work

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there's a communist in that show? I thought the villains were anarchists

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thes villian actually did something that wasn't dumpster diving so I just assumed Communist

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if you remove the misogyny and racism and british nostalgia from bond theres literally nothing there

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

maybe it was just my dumb idiot child brain and the further conditioning from the video game, but goldeneye was pretty neat

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you remove the misogyny and racism and british nostalgia from bond theres literally nothing there

If you like spy stuff the earlier ones are much better, I guess the latter ones are more just action set pieces

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol the Melissa McCarthy Netflix superhero vehicle has Fortnite product placement but they play on an iPad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

lol the Melissa McCarthy Netflix superhero vehicle has Fortnite product placement but they play on an iPad.
that's pretty dumb but it's not like you can't play it on an iPad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

has any film or tv-show ever actually subverted the literal "hanging over the cliff" thing?

like where the characters are just going "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" but they stop sliding six yards before the actual cliff instead of the standard balancing act?

or just sent all the main characters off the cliff, that's another way to not be boring

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FFT posted:

has any film or tv-show ever actually subverted the literal "hanging over the cliff" thing?

like where the characters are just going "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" but they stop sliding six yards before the actual cliff instead of the standard balancing act?

or just sent all the main characters off the cliff, that's another way to not be boring

Times when they go off the cliff:
Fast five, train scene into the river
Fast ...7? Where they go between the dubai skyscrapers

Brian bails out way early but I think Dom does the classic barely grilling the ledge thing

Oh and the scene where someone falls off a cliff but is rescued by a bumper , I think that's in 7 too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the forties batman serial has one where his car goes over a cliff but the next episode he just jumps out of the car from the exact same shot at the exact same angle

the serial with so many improbable survivals the villain deduces that batman must be multiple different people and thats why he wears a mask

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh if you meant with no break between cliffhanger and resolution theres a south park episode that does this and its a funny enough sequence im surprised no one seems to have uploaded it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

the serial with so many improbable survivals the villain deduces that batman must be multiple different people and thats why he wears a mask

Funny thing is this is actually a theory a lot of Batman's villains have had independently about him across various incarnations (at one point Catwoman uses it as a bluff while fighting off Ivy's mind control spores) and frankly it makes way more sense. (also sometimes it is technically true, though Bruce generally only passes the cowl reluctantly or posthumously)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there was a recent run of batman where the joker would regularly leave messages at the batcave iirc

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I mean a scene where there's a cliff and they don't even come close to going over, like stopping a bomb timer at 37 seconds remaining.

Or just actually going over like that one scene in The Other Guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The countdown gag from Galaxy Quest is an all time great

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Galaxy Quest is an all time great
100% agreed

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Not at all what you're asking but Thelma and Louise is an amazing movie w/ a cliff scene.

I don't know if TBS cut out the good parts but seeing the full film as an adult, I really never gave it enough credit. It was very ahead of it's time w/ top tier style and scenes I didn't really appreciate as a kid. For example, at one point Gina Davis and Susan Sarandon intimidate and emasculate a Gestapo cop who pulls them over for speeding. They lock him in the trunk of his car after robbing him of his weapons and sunglasses, then later a guy riding a bike comes up and hotboxes the trunk via a bullet hole. Watch it if you haven't, it's a meditation on rape culture, unhappy marriages, and vigilantism.

Miss Lonelyhearts has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Apr 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fake cliffhangers are a thing all the goddamn time. Not uncommon for the next episode to just ignore them. Though Red Dwarf seems to have fun with them.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
In The Andromeda Strain they stop a timer with nine seconds remaining and one of the characters makes a quip about it

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

why didn't Thor simply drop Mjolnir on each of the bigass Chitauri serpent things

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it’d just come to rest on their back. they’re not trying to pick it up so it isn’t resisting them, otherwise it would constantly be sinking to the Earth’s core

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

what is this talking about?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FFT posted:

that's pretty dumb but it's not like you can't play it on an iPad

Maybe that's the joke you're making, but no you can't. Apple and Epic games have been having a very public spat for a while now.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

game consoles are an adult thing now, kids are growing up playing games on mobile platforms, poor bastards

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im dying of sadness now upon realizing that

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Judakel posted:

what is this talking about?

An antagonist in the Falcon & Winter Soldier. In the Comics Captain America rebelled against the government because it tuned out Nixon was a supervillian (just like real life! Yuk yuk) and he opposed U.S> Imperialist interventions. So the U.S. Government made their own far -right Captain America to replace him who was was crazy and evil and real Captain America has to beat him up. This is actually a recurrent plot in Captain America stories, where Cap opposes the government and the government makes an evil right-wing replacement he has to then stop.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

best captain america is in spider-man: life story

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

FFT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsWmjjHgXYY

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I watched end of watch and I don't get why cinema discusso loves david ayer so much

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

best captain america is in spider-man: life story

So sad to see disney give in to sjw propaganda and depict the brave and noble freedom fighting US soldiers as willing to murder children smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I watched end of watch and I don't get why cinema discusso loves david ayer so much

if you post the words "secretly brilliant" in cined enough people will believe any movie is actually good