Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I watched a video a week ago showing how enormous the ear hitbox is and so now I generally avoid helmets without ear protection. At this point in the wipe almost everyone is shooting ammo that will penetrate your helmet, regardless of the class. I feel like ULACH or Ratnik is the way to go unless you want to run a visor or something.

I think they just made M995 more expensive to craft - it now also requires a Can of Thermite which is going for around 200K RUB.

EDIT: In fact they tweaked a bunch of higher-tier ammo crafts. Most have increased times, at least.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's amazing how intimidating that quest is the first time you do it. It's the one I got goon help with my first time. My second time I did it solo.

I bet Delivery from the Past probably causes a measurable percentage of new players to simply walk away forever.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I've ended up mia-ing to complete that because of people camping the area outside that room right to the last minute of the raid, and was happy to do it because it was Just That Awful to do the factory part :negative:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

pnutz posted:

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I've ended up mia-ing to complete that because of people camping the area outside that room right to the last minute of the raid, and was happy to do it because it was Just That Awful to do the factory part :negative:

I honestly didn't have a ton of issues with message from the past. I was spamming factory for a few things and ran it while I was hot.

I've been baiting scavs to help my buddy get to level 10 real quick with just a shotgun. No armor, no helmet. Works great

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

pnutz posted:

you went MIA rather than get in a video game shootfight?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
bring grenades

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Cage Kicker posted:

you went MIA rather than get in a video game shootfight?

Is MIA the trick to "getting out alive"? I dunno. If it is, holy gently caress, that's a huge overlook. Otherwise, yea, why didn't you just leave the rain normally and risk the firefight? I can get that the getting out alive bullshit for some quests is ridicilous, but if the sole reason you mia'd was to avoid that fight then that's kind of crazy.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

pnutz posted:

Plot twist, it was an AI scav that "camped" you and you MIA'ed for nothing.

Hey, I don't judge. I was scared frozen in a corner in factory for 10+ minutes before because I was sure a player was holding an angle and would one tap me should I try to leave.

Of course it was just a scav but took my caveman mind 10 minutes to realize that.

It's a scary game...

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
BTC down to 600k. Sell em as you get em! I think they are gonna gradually reduce the price to about half their usual value.

Edit: How well do you see at night? Kind of curious about how many people play at night versus those that don't. Night vision aside, are you able to play at night? On my old PC I was unable to see poo poo at night. On my new PC, I see fairly clearly. Enough to distinguish bodies from not in even the darkest shadows. Some of this is my monitor (and yours). I have a setting on my monitor that specifically works on shadows and other dark tones. That, coupled with gamma, lets me see super well. I am able to see through windows at night, which is something I couldn't even do during the day on my old setup. If you are in a building, peeking out the window at night, I can see you. I see you better at day but I can still see you at night. Is this common or are you basically blind at night without a night vision setup?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 9, 2021

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Is MIA the trick to "getting out alive"? I dunno. If it is, holy gently caress, that's a huge overlook.

No, going MIA is much like death, you lose all items that aren't in your secure container (or in a slot that can't be looted, like compass, melee weapon and armband). The important difference is that when going MIA, you won't even get stuff back from insurance! So if you are certain to not make it out in time, you should drop all your insured gear to get it back.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So why did they go MIA? Just to avoid a fight? Am I missing something?

Just trying to figure out why they went MIA instead of just leaving, but it helped them complete a quest.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone else tried out the AKs post-buff? I've been having a lot of fun with the AK-103 - the ROF still doesn't touch the HK but it is fun to use something different/a little cheaper than the meta M4/HK builds. BP feels like a great round that I just haven't used too much outside of an SKS earlier in the wipe.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

One thing I noticed- so if you completed the deaddrop, and all you needed to do was escape alive, you could have made a break for the exit, and if you died, all you need to do is drop Factory again and extract successfully.

I've found learning to answer all problems in this game (being swarmed by Scavs, running into a boss or fat Chad, hearing heavy gunfire and grenades in the direction you need to head) with 'gently caress it' does wonders for my stress, though not my loot or K/D

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

I can completely understand being overly cautious when doing "Delivery from the past". Most (all?) other quests only require you to do one map again (and again and again), but when you fail the factory part, you need to go back to customs and extract alive to have another shot at completing the quest.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Another thing i'd like to work on, apart from the "weapons on Reserve" map is the "items you didn't think were worth poo poo but can make you a millionaire" series. Basically, it's about the odd items that don't stand out but can make tons of roubles for those with a keen eye. I'd like to start out with the "additional armor for the Bastion helmet" item, which, at first glance is some weird looking choker, but is honestly one of the most profitable items you can find in a raid. It takes up 2 slots, weighs about a kilogram but sells on the flea market for 220K. If you ever find it, you should disregard any medical supplies, ammo, etc, and make sure you extract with it.

Other items in this series would include the water filter, another 2 slot item, that sells for 140k and a basic box of matches, which sell for 25k. The items that discretely make millionaires. Items that you overlook, but shouldn't. These can be anything from weapon mods that really just apply to other weapon mods and the barter items that trade up for S-Tier armor.

Lets get a list going of the items most people don't look out for, but those with a sense for making money discretely look out for.

Edit: this list should be about the items 95% of the playerbase ignores in a raid but you and I should look out for. The items that get passed over but if people knew better, would never get left behind.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2021

sum
Nov 15, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Another thing i'd like to work on, apart from the "weapons on Reserve" map is the "items you didn't think were worth poo poo but can make you a millionaire" series. Basically, it's about the odd items that don't stand out but can make tons of roubles for those with a keen eye. I'd like to start out with the "additional armor for the Bastion helmet" item, which, at first glance is some weird looking choker, but is honestly one of the most profitable items you can find in a raid. It takes up 2 slots, weighs about a kilogram but sells on the flea market for 220K. If you ever find it, you should disregard any medical supplies, ammo, etc, and make sure you extract with it.

Other items in this series would include the water filter, another 2 slot item, that sells for 140k and a basic box of matches, which sell for 25k. The items that discretely make millionaires. Items that you overlook, but shouldn't. These can be anything from weapon mods that really just apply to other weapon mods and the barter items that trade up for S-Tier armor.

Lets get a list going of the items most people don't look out for, but those with a sense for making money discretely look out for.

Edit: this list should be about the items 95% of the playerbase ignores in a raid but you and I should look out for. The items that get passed over but if people knew better, would never get left behind.

A lot of the suppressor adapters are very expensive, often more than the actual suppressors themselves, mostly because almost no one picks them up I think. The better compensators can also go for a lot (especially 5.56 compatible ones) but to be honest it's hard to remember which ones are the good ones. Augmentin and AFAKs go for 30k+ and hemostats are up to 15k. Any 5.45, 5.56 or 9mm extended mag that's only 2 slots usually goes for a shitload. All the compact collimators are worth picking up, but especially the RMR, the Leupold and the PK-06. The Multi-hit shield for the OPSCORE helmet is like 300k, and the Chops go for like 200k. Most of the 40x46 grenades are worth a ton except for the green ones. Those are just the things off the top of my head.

To be honest I usually just keep Tarkov-Market open in Firefox and if something looks valuable I'll switch over and see its value.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
All food and water goes for 10-30k often for a one slot and you can eat it in raid if you need more space for something better. There are boxes of ammo littered all over Reserve like they snowed from the sky and you can find the big cigarette carton boxes of BT and BP all over and small boxes of SNB and BS very frequently. The shittiest raider is carrying well over 250k in cash prizes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BS is everywhere and sells for 1800/round current, I hoover that poo poo up whenever I can.

On Reserve the amount of times I find tank shells still sitting somewhere I know has been otherwise looted is stupid, that's two slots for 180-200k. Probably because they're often just loose on the ground/sitting on top of non-lootable toolboxes and blend in fairly well.

Paper recently spiked but is going back down, its hard to notice among the crap but sells decently or can be turned into intelligence with three flash drives.

It's not specifically selling on the flea but both Emelya croutons and piles of meds can be turned in (5 croutons at Jaeger 2, 6 meds at therapist 4) for sugar to make moonshine for selling or scav cases.

Chocolate bars, the russian variety not Slickers. They look like textures on the table/ground most of the time but they're 50k+ at all times. Or if you get two, turn into sugar in the nutrition unit.`

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
The market for both bolts and nails has fallen a bit over the wipe, but those are routinely worth a lot more than the other building materials

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Sort of the reverse but also something people usually do loot but probably shouldn't are like 95% of the guns you find. They typically just make you overweight and usually sell for under 30k. Just rip off any decent mods and use the extra stamina to loot faster.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Stock up on DVD drives, xenomorph sealing foams, and long and flat screwdrivers.

And the legendary purple rarity hand drill

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You joke but before I had workbench 3 I hoarded DVD drives to tear them apart for circuit boards because that was a pretty steady source of income.

Now my workbench is basically a 6.3 making station but back then they were nice.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Paper is a great one. I used to overlook it until someone pointed out that it sells for like 70k. Adapters for suppressors and otherwise are another great one.

Looting guns and taking up that 2x4 or 2x5 slot is also really overlooked. You loot that AK, take up 10 slots and sell it for 40k and i'll loot 10 other 1 slot "trash" items that sell for 200k.

Edit: If you are a new player and haven't already learned, some of the high value items on a weapon can be stripped in a raid. You can take off the scope and the suppressor, among other things, from a weapon while still in a raid. You don't need to take the whole thing out.

Edit 2: Mk-18 mags. 130k~ + ammo, which is 70k~ a round. I found a mag earlier with 8 rounds. The mag + ammo is 500k+

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2021

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
You'd think that with the amount of money they've made on this game they would hire at least one english-speaking person to re-write all the Google translated nonsense in the quests. Half the time I just straight up have to look the missions up because the descriptions are just complete word salad and the objectives aren't clear.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

You'd think that with the amount of money they've made on this game they would hire at least one english-speaking person to re-write all the Google translated nonsense in the quests. Half the time I just straight up have to look the missions up because the descriptions are just complete word salad and the objectives aren't clear.

Even if it was crystal clear everything is really really vague in this game, I think by design.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

They keep claiming that they're going to completely re-do all the quests and the system itself in the future so they aren't gong to bother to re-translate the current ones.

Will that actually happen? Who knows?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Task revamp patch notes:

-all task locations/items have been moved to completely different areas. No we won’t tell you where.

-Initial quests to unlock Jaeger now require a ratchet wrench and jar of thermite.

-ran quest text through google translate a second time. Now 80% more obtuse Russian colloquialisms!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I kind of like the engrish it's cute :(

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bussamove posted:

Task revamp patch notes:

-all task locations/items have been moved to completely different areas. No we won’t tell you where.

-Initial quests to unlock Jaeger now require a ratchet wrench and jar of thermite.

-ran quest text through google translate a second time. Now 80% more obtuse Russian colloquialisms!

Bear meet bear in woods. Bears poo poo in woods, yes? Now, collect graphics cards on factory. (Mission is on Customs, mission tab says ANY)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Reminder that Nikita hates that the wiki exists and wishes people would do tasks based entirely on the in game prompts. There are times I’m convinced he doesn’t actually want anyone to play his game.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Reminder that Nikita hates that the wiki exists and wishes people would do tasks based entirely on the in game prompts. There are times I’m convinced he doesn’t actually want anyone to play his game.

Whenever I hear that I think of the three or four keys that have no purpose and imagine some poor sap scouring all the maps looking for locks that don't exist. If that's not a metaphor for Russia I don't know what is.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Whats funny is theres way more than just 3 or 4 keys with no actual use

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I've been wanting to try this game after watching clips on Youtube, but my actual gaming time is extremely limited and I worry it'll just mean an hour here and there each week getting poo poo on and feeding xp to people with more time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You're going to get poo poo on and feed xp to people for at least your first couple hundred hours no matter what, so it's just a question of if you've got the desire to stretch that painful period out over many moons or not.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Join the discord and play with goons, it'll definitely make the time you spend on it more efficient.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Its Happening! posted:

I've been wanting to try this game after watching clips on Youtube, but my actual gaming time is extremely limited and I worry it'll just mean an hour here and there each week getting poo poo on and feeding xp to people with more time.

Play the single player mod, SPTarkov. You'll actually enjoy the game instead of just wasting hours of your time.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NJersey posted:

Play the single player mod, SPTarkov. You'll actually enjoy the game instead of just wasting hours of your time.

If you dislike Tarkov so much then why are you here? This thread is full of people who seem like they play just to talk about how bad they are and how little fun the game is.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
I'm really enjoying watching Pestily's hardcore series at the moment, crutching on game mechanics aside. I'd love it if there were shards where it was enforced for everyone - I guess that won't happen at least until there's multiple 'characters' per account but the gameplay is way more enjoyable to watch with the struggle of not just being able to buy / trade your way to victory.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

If you dislike Tarkov so much then why are you here? This thread is full of people who seem like they play just to talk about how bad they are and how little fun the game is.

He said his gaming time is extremely limited, instead of him wasting hours trying to learn and play this late in a wipe I suggested he play SP tarkov that way he can get what he wants out of the game if he enjoys watching it on youtube.

But yea this thread is full of people who seem to have that attitude....but this is the Games sub forum so just about every thread is like this.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I like Tarkov a lot, I just think they made some really questionable changes this wipe that were related to the silly bitcoin decisions and also designed to slow progression but are really only going to hurt the newbies. I think a lot of other people in this thread feel the same way.

Like this is a thread for Tarkov discussion not Tarkov fellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I like Tarkov a lot, I just think they made some really questionable changes this wipe that were related to the silly bitcoin decisions and also designed to slow progression but are really only going to hurt the newbies. I think a lot of other people in this thread feel the same way.

Like this is a thread for Tarkov discussion not Tarkov fellation.

Tarkov tends to be very very unforgiving to new players, especially the longer time between wipes.

Is it impossible?

No.

But the chances of you getting murdered 800 meters away by a giga-chad with a thermal and 20million in armor increases exponentially the longer time between wipes carry on.