Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
YEARS masturbating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Christian bigotry

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eat Pray Love Name Love Blah

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

SecretOfSteel posted:

Omg, I laughed so hard!

Far from complaining, but does this word cloud generation deliberately try to find the best fit for Tasmania first, and then sorts out the rest of the country?

I adjust the settings until Tasmania is funny, or at least coherent. Some months there aren't enough funny words :(

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Urcher posted:

I adjust the settings until Tasmania is funny, or at least coherent. Some months there aren't enough funny words :(

Tasmania Is never funny

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

word cloud word cloud

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

POST THE WORD CLOUD COWARDS

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

POST THE WORD CLOUD COWARDS

CLOUWARDS

EDIT: Word Clouwards

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I actually didn't read the thread so didn't realise it had been posted.

Do another word cloud though

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
word clot

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Recoome posted:

Wow have some loving empathy for Queen Elizabeth II will you????!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Where's the folded 5 dollar note

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
This isn't politics related so please don't give me a sixer king david but I am done having my tanty about goons being concerned about me and the Ultimate Dicksucker if someone can throw me a link to the auspol discord

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I believe that is done.

Does anyone else want into the piss realm?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Anidav posted:

I believe that is done.

Does anyone else want into the piss realm?

Yes please

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://discord.gg/kpUV9sb

A one use link just for you pal.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Anidav posted:

https://discord.gg/kpUV9sb

A one use link just for you pal.

It already expired lol, you could pm me i have plat

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What do you have against piggybacks, anime dave?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Who the gently caress used the link designated for Spooky Donut?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I thought it had already been clicked on

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://discord.gg/JWXyXtU Take 2.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is from a while back but re: Travel restrictions.

I am an ESL Teacher, and the travel restrictions currently in play affect me and my job directly. It's not too bad, as I can get "permission" to leave the country fairly easily, (I would be leaving for more than 3 months, and until recently I would not have been considered an Australian resident as I had spent more than half of the last 24 months out of the country. [Cant say that now as I have been back since May]).

Also, I got a job in Japan, that was supposed to start in March, but due to Japan's foreigner/travel restrictions I haven't even been able to apply for my work visa yet. So Australia is not the only place with travel restrictions. (Current plan is to apply for jobs in Vietnam which is accepting people, for a 6 month contract, and defer the Japanese job to next March. Hopefully all goes well.)

So my point is, that those with skin in the game can find ways to get out if they need to. There are pathways out of the country for those prepared to find them if they have actual reasons. So whoever said that the people whinging are whinging about not being able to take their Bali holiday at a whim does have a point.

Also, re: the cost of getting back to Aus./being stranded overseas. I came back from Seoul in May 2020. And even back then it was a hassle trying to find a flight, and the flight cost me 2 or 3 times what it would have in normal times, and my Incheon-Sydney flight was pretty full. Even so, I don't have as much sympathy as I should for those stuck overseas, because to my mind you've had time. I lost my old job because the school shut down coz of COVID, so it has been around a while, and you have known that it would be difficult to arrange flights etc. So to my overly judgmental FYGM mind, these people are either lazy and entitled, or possibly missed the window I was lucky enough to slip through.

Sorry if this hasn't been relevant.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Expired

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, re: the cost of getting back to Aus./being stranded overseas. I came back from Seoul in May 2020. And even back then it was a hassle trying to find a flight, and the flight cost me 2 or 3 times what it would have in normal times, and my Incheon-Sydney flight was pretty full. Even so, I don't have as much sympathy as I should for those stuck overseas, because to my mind you've had time. I lost my old job because the school shut down coz of COVID, so it has been around a while, and you have known that it would be difficult to arrange flights etc. So to my overly judgmental FYGM mind, these people are either lazy and entitled, or possibly missed the window I was lucky enough to slip through.

Sorry if this hasn't been relevant.

I've heard some horror stories about people who just can't get the flight, keep getting bumped, cancelled. Doesn't exist from where they are. I think you found a window. Obviously, there are flights, but only so many and the world is a huge place. So unless you're coming from certain locations it's a pain. And the number of flights are capped, so only so many are getting in.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cancelled a 6 week trip to the US in March 2020 seeing how things were ramping up. My other friends who decided to go got 2 weeks in and then the gov said come back now and they all spent nearly 6k each scrambling to get an economy seat back out of LA and that was when there were still plenty of flights. They only had to self quarantine for 2 weeks at home back then too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

I guess because they missed their last vaccination target they've decided such targets are impossible

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't miss a target if you don't set any.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
you miss 100% of the shots you don’t give

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Setting targets was unnecessary in the first place and it's one of the valid criticisms aimed at them: that they're spinning everything for announceables and political mileage.

They are however correct to note that we're relatively - in the literal sense - on par with vaccine rollouts in plenty of other OECD countries. We started our rollout later because we went through the usual approvals process instead of rushing emergency approval, which was the appropriate decision in countries like Britain or America that had already racked up six-figure death tolls and wanted to scramble jabs into arms in November, but was not appropriate for us, because we didn't turn our hospitals into charnel houses.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

birdstrike posted:

you keep 100% of the shits you don’t give

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Accused war criminal Ben Roberts-Smith has been caught on secretly recorded audio lauding his media mogul boss, Kerry Stokes, for financing his fight to “destroy” those in politics, the media and the SAS who have accused him of war crimes.

In the recordings, which were lawfully made, Mr Roberts-Smith, a senior executive of the Stokes-chaired Seven West Media, reveals his disdain for the business he helps run, his dislike of his fellow Seven executives and his incredulity that he is still running the company’s Queensland operations despite being at the centre of a war crimes scandal.

“It’s bizarre. Other businesses would have just gone, ‘Mate, it’s not tenable’. I offered to resign at the start [of the war crimes scandal] and they said, ‘Nah’,” Mr Roberts-Smith says to an associate in one conversation.

The recordings capture multiple conversations between Mr Roberts-Smith and three other people. The conversations occurred at the time the inquiry of the military Inspector-General, Paul Brereton, was uncovering evidence from SAS whistleblowers that Mr Roberts-Smith was implicated in multiple unlawful executions while serving as an SAS soldier in Afghanistan between 2009 and 2012. That evidence prompted the Australian Federal Police to launch two ongoing taskforces in June 2018 targeting Mr Roberts-Smith.

The tapes cast fresh light on the extraordinary relationship Mr Stokes has maintained with Mr Roberts-Smith, while revealing the embattled war hero’s view that the billionaire is happy to run sections of his media empire at a loss in return for political power. Mr Roberts-Smith says the media is such “a powerful tool” that its owners say, “I’ll take that [financial] loss if it means I have political influence ... Politicians are scared of guys that own media networks.”

Mr Roberts-Smith describes how the influence of Mr Stokes, who is also the chairman of the Australian War Memorial, has forced those who supported scrutiny of the accused war criminal to back down.

“They seemed to have smelled blood in the water and thought, ‘Oh, Roberts-Smith is going down, we’ll f---ing chime in.’ I’m talking politicians and all kinds of people,” he says.

But after it became known Mr Stokes supported him, these same critics “are like, ‘Oh, thanks Kerry, glad you can help Ben out’. What the f--- is that? You wanted me to go down, you piece of poo poo.”

Mr Roberts-Smith also reveals how he talks to Mr Stokes on “encrypted” phone applications and “intelligence agencies cannot recover it”.

“So if I am talking to KMS for example – Kerry – we only talk on Telegram and then delete the messages after ... People use them so it can’t be intercepted,” he says.

There is no suggestion that Mr Stokes uses the applications to avoid interception by Australian authorities, but multiple sources told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald that Mr Roberts-Smith has used such applications to avoid interception by the ongoing AFP inquiries.

‘I’m indebted to Kerry’
In the recordings, Mr Roberts-Smith makes multiple references to Mr Stokes’ support of his fight to contest war crimes allegations and those airing them.

“There’s no f---ing way I’d be able to keep paying what I’m paying for until Kerry got into it. That’s why now they’re making GBS threads themselves because they realise he’s prepared to run his bank down to do it,” Mr Roberts-Smith is recorded saying.

”I probably won’t leave the fold now ... I think I’m indebted a little bit now to Kerry. Bottom line, I’d be f---ed without him ... we’ve certainly had those conversations already.”

Mr Stokes’ financial support allowed Mr Roberts-Smith to form an expensive legal and public relations team in 2018 to combat the allegations investigated by the military Inspector-General and detailed in media reporting in The Age and Herald. Mr Roberts-Smith is running a defamation case against the mastheads.

He said of Mr Stokes’ camp: “They are privy to everything that’s gone on in the courts, they know what is going on ... Put it this way, mate, Stokes isn’t an idiot. He’s not going to back someone …who’s a loser.”

Mr Roberts-Smith is scathing on the recordings about those he considers his enemies: “Now it is personal. Now I’m going to do everything I can to f---ing destroy them mate. Like everyone – and I’ll keep going – all those journalists. And that’s my sole f---ing mission in life.”

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Fair fax still describing Australia’s most notorious war criminal as a war hero lol

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Not gonna lie, the part where they make sure to clarify that he didn't say he used the communication stuff to avoid authorities intercepting information relating to his crimes but that other people have said that's totally what it's for did make me laugh a bit. Followed by him talking about how he's gonna make it his mission in life to destroy everyone who brought this up like dude I don't know how to tell you this but you can throw a shitload of money at something and get nothing back, especially when it comes to suing for defamation.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not gonna lie, the part where they make sure to clarify that he didn't say he used the communication stuff to avoid authorities intercepting information relating to his crimes but that other people have said that's totally what it's for did make me laugh a bit. Followed by him talking about how he's gonna make it his mission in life to destroy everyone who brought this up like dude I don't know how to tell you this but you can throw a shitload of money at something and get nothing back, especially when it comes to suing for defamation.

If he was familiar with concepts like consequences and the law and not being a brain rotted murderbot he probably wouldn’t be in this whole thing to begin with

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Solemn Sloth posted:

If he was familiar with concepts like consequences and the law and not being a brain rotted murderbot he probably wouldn’t be in this whole thing to begin with

I suppose when you're throwing a shitload of someone else's money at something you get a bit overconfident.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
australia's most notorious war hero

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

perepelki posted:

australia's most notorious war hero

Fresh in our war crimes tribunals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I was confused by that too until I realised they're saying Kerry Stokes isn't using telegram to avoid the authorities, but suggesting that Roberts-Smith definitely is.