Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nephthys posted:

The most selfless heroes in the mcu right now are probably Sam and Bucky tbh.

Sarah might disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

live with fruit posted:

Sarah might disagree.

Sam did literally the thing he said he wasn't going to do on season 1: dropping all his family responsibilities to go play hero at a moment notice. Like, he absolutely didn't need to go chase the flags mashers while Sarah's boat issue was unresolved.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thundercracker posted:

I love that when they go meet Karli Sam and Bucky change into their superhero outfits. Sam I understand, but does Bucky only feel comfortable fighting in leather?

Leather's a lot better at stopping a knife than cotton. Also he possibly doesn't want to mess up his personal wardrobe, or have the embarrassment of getting his shirt sleeve snagged on his artificial arm.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Sarah might disagree.

Peter tried to ditch saving the world to go hit on a girl. Sarah didn't even want Sam to help her and choosing to do superhero stuff can hardly be called selfish. He's actively trying to save lives and probably is still going to help her in the future.

Also there aren't really that many active heroes right now. The alternative pick would be Antman I guess.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Peter Parker is like 15, ofc he's gonna think with his dick and not his brain.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Peter tried to ditch saving the world to go hit on a girl. Sarah didn't even want Sam to help her and choosing to do superhero stuff can hardly be called selfish. He's actively trying to save lives and probably is still going to help her in the future.

Also there aren't really that many active heroes right now. The alternative pick would be Antman I guess.

Carol abandoned her whole rear end planet to be a hero. Sam's got nothing on her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Ehhhh ‘abandoned her planet’ is kind of a disingenuous way of framing Carol. She is more intertwined with, and responsible for, lives off world than on world at this point. She is literally single handedly responsible for forcing the Kree into detente.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ehhhh ‘abandoned her planet’ is kind of a disingenuous way of framing Carol. She is more intertwined with, and responsible for, lives off world than on world at this point. She is literally single handedly responsible for forcing the Kree into detente.

Monica might disagree.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Carol abandoned her whole rear end planet to be a hero. Sam's got nothing on her.

Fair, I totally forgot about her.

I was actually thinking more of Bucky though considering how much he's risking his mental health and personal freedom to do the right thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Monica might disagree.
Monica is pretty clearly hung up on meeting a cool aunt who then bailed on her for 25 years to hang with cabbage people

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Fair, I totally forgot about her.

I was actually thinking more of Bucky though considering how much he's risking his mental health and personal freedom to do the right thing.

Yes but Bucky's also dealing with major guilt over what he did as Winter Soldier so he does have some personal motivation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Thundercracker posted:

I love that when they go meet Karli Sam and Bucky change into their superhero outfits. Sam I understand, but does Bucky only feel comfortable fighting in leather?

I think it was a mutual decision after Sam's sister and her kids got threatened by Karli. I think that they suited up in their super-clothes in part to send the message to Karli that she's not dealing with Sam Wilson, VA counselor and Bucky. She's dealing with the Falcon and the (ex-)Winter Soldier who will gently caress her and her group up if the people they care about are threatened. Plus Walker was also out their so they wanted to be fully "equipped up" in case poo poo went south again.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

live with fruit posted:

I think the difference is that Carol didn't say to her family "I'm totally not going to leave. I'm gonna stick around"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

mind the walrus posted:

For me it's a 2-way :tinfoil: tie:

1. Watching someone track the hands of the clock in episode 2 claiming it spelled out "X-Men" in Semaphore (provided you cheat)

2. Watching a whole bunch of people get convinced that Dottie's yellow flowers and husband were proof that she was Arcana of Squadron Supreme.

Compared to that nerds obsessing over the postman or Ralph being Mephisto or obsessing over Evan Peters was downright tame.

Ahahah I didn't know about that first one

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Yes but Bucky's also dealing with major guilt over what he did as Winter Soldier so he does have some personal motivation.

You could make the argument that all of comic Peter's heroism and selflessness is driven by guilt. You could make that argument about a lot of heroes most likely, especially if you start substituting guilt for other emotions. If you start analyzing motivation to that degree there are probably no selfless acts at all.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 11, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

live with fruit posted:

Monica might disagree.

She might, but she would be wrong. Emotionally an understandable position, but still wrong.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Zemo was right. Superheroes believe they have jurisdiction wherever superheroes happen to be. They should all be destroyed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ravel posted:

Zemo was right. Superheroes believe they have jurisdiction wherever superheroes happen to be. They should all be destroyed.

So does he. He also wears a mask while fighting, and has access to power and resources most never will. Then again, he did try to kill himself last in Civil War, so perhaps he already realizes that hypocrisy. It's also true of the Dora Milaje, the US and probably several other nations and national forces regardless. It's not really so much superpeople or heroes, so much as powerful people in general.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Banner shouldn't be overlooked in the MCU's selfless, noble hero list. He knew the gauntlet could have killed him and he still used it only to do the most good possible and then never use it again.

Funny how that turned out. He's probably got very complicated feelings about how bringing back half the universe played out.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I still have a hard time believe a bunch of untrained kids would actually last more than 10 seconds in a fight with Bucky, even if they have the serum.

A couple other nitpicks:
Sam is too smart of a character to walk into an orphanage super loudly "HEY ANY OF YOU KNOW MOMMA DONYA?" Bucky was supposed to be an infiltration expert and is just as obvious. Later Zemo jumps into the sewer and none of the wakandans go after him? Bucky doesn't stop Walker from interrupting Sam's talk with Karli?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“My faith is in individuals.” Is in Civil War as Caps letter to Tony.

I’m right about the credits. It is : Individuals won’t save you. I don’t think the resolution of FATWS is going to pull any punches

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Spite posted:

I still have a hard time believe a bunch of untrained kids would actually last more than 10 seconds in a fight with Bucky, even if they have the serum.

A couple other nitpicks:
Sam is too smart of a character to walk into an orphanage super loudly "HEY ANY OF YOU KNOW MOMMA DONYA?" Bucky was supposed to be an infiltration expert and is just as obvious. Later Zemo jumps into the sewer and none of the wakandans go after him? Bucky doesn't stop Walker from interrupting Sam's talk with Karli?

To be fair, Bucky is clearly holding back. I’m pretty sure he is trying to stick to the spirit of the “Don’t hurt anyone” rule his therapist reiterated before she let him go.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Spite posted:

Did Steve or Bucky have any actual hand to hand combat skills before they got the serum? Whatever the serum gives you is a substitute for experience.

But yeah he was good enough to take on Steve, Black Panther, and Natasha without too much trouble. And we know Black Panther himself can solo the entire Dora Milaje. Bucky is probably pulling his punches considerably.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Didn't Bucky kinda did stomp everyone he fought though.

He threw a ton of knives next to people's head while they were on the ground.

If he wanted to kill those kids they would be dead, as I don't think he had trouble with any fight there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ravel posted:

Did Steve or Bucky have any actual hand to hand combat skills before they got the serum? Whatever the serum gives you is a substitute for experience.
Nah the serums definitely don't substitute for experience and all the fight choreography bears this out. The First Avenger skips over it out of necessity but presumably during that year Bucky and Steve were fighting the Red Skull they got a hell of a lot of experience, even if they were still mostly unrefined brawlers.

I headcanon that after The Battle of New York, SHIELD spent some time giving Steve training to bring him in line with the 21st Century and he was a prodigy learner both because he's got the Erskine serum, and because he's an intelligent guy overall. Bucky meanwhile likely got years of HYDRA/Soviet brainwashing dumped into his head, similar to whatever Natascha got. I wouldn't be surprised if he has trouble remembering certain details of his pre-HYDRA life, instead knowing a plurality of ways to dismantle all the joints in a target's finger.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Steve was fighting constantly as a kid!

"I'm bleeding, that means I win!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's actually a very, very plausible chance that's how Bucky and him became friends-- Bucky finds a runt who won't stay down and gets through to him. Heartwarming tale, really.

Honestly I'm still kind-of mad that there was no room for a First Avenger Pt. 2 because there is an entire movie's worth of dramatic arcs glossed over in Act Three of the movie we got-- Steve learning to be an actual Captain and negotiating with the military, the SSR growing from a bizarre appendage to a key part of the military operations in Europe, Bucky emotionally processing the inversion of his lifelong dynamic with Steve, Steve and Peggy actually getting together, the escalation of Red Skull and HYDRA against Cap complete with some bonkers jobber fight versus some zombified Nazi version of Cap in a German Castle or something. It writes itself.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Azhais posted:

Steve was fighting constantly as a kid!

"I'm bleeding, that means I win!"

I know this is kind of a joke but there's no fight training as good as real fighting and a hypothetical dude who learns to fight while giving up a 100 pounds or more every time and then somehow gains an olympic physique and a heavyweight build could be a real dangerous dude if he's smart enough to learn from experience.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
People were wondering how US Agent killing a helpless, defeated enemy in broad daylight in front of a ton of witnesses is going to play out, but real life is already giving us a glimpse of how it will be handled

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1381110604300230656

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

twistedmentat posted:

People were wondering how US Agent killing a helpless, defeated enemy in broad daylight in front of a ton of witnesses is going to play out, but real life is already giving us a glimpse of how it will be handled

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1381110604300230656

:catstare:

I want to say that's bait but I really don't know anymore.
I don't know if I want them to go that way in universe or if it would be a little *too* on the nose.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

JohnnySavs posted:

Banner shouldn't be overlooked in the MCU's selfless, noble hero list. He knew the gauntlet could have killed him and he still used it only to do the most good possible and then never use it again.

Funny how that turned out. He's probably got very complicated feelings about how bringing back half the universe played out.

I wouldn't expect it to be too complicated. Even if losing half the population resulted in the utopia Thanos was hoping for (which it definitely didn't) and created a true unified earth without borders or wars, billions of lives is an unfathomably high price to pay for that.

Endgame was already stacked to the gills, but it would have been interesting if during one of the scenes (maybe during the grief counseling scene or while Natasha and Cap are hanging out) they pointed out some of the things that had improved, kind of as a way to try to cheer themselves or others up. While I don't think any debate about whether to bring everyone back or not holds water, I think the world starting to be on the right track after 5 years would have been more intriguing than the impression Endgame gave of everything barely holding together and garbage piling up in the streets.

Also I may have had the wrong idea on how that last scene went down, just with how it was edited it didn't seem they went to the extreme. But with the way the last shot is framed and how the Shield looks, it seems pretty likely that what I wanted to have happened happened, they just toned it down to basically the maximum you could. Which hey, that makes sense I suppose for the Mouse.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 11, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Marvel should really just do a cheap show without superheroes that is all about the post-snap and post-blip world.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Ravel posted:

Bucky is probably pulling his punches considerably.

I've always assumed the big difference between the Winter Soldier and Bucky Barnes is that the former does not care (doesn't have the capacity to care, really, had it brutally stripped away from him) about collateral or the people he's fighting. He has a mission, the mission is to kill, he's not going to stop until he's done or stopped himself. Whereas Bucky does give a poo poo, doesn't want to kill anyone anymore, and actually has feelings whenever he does hurt anyone. So in that sense, Bucky is "weaker" as his those-pesky-human-feelings self and not operating at 100% of his considerable capabilities.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I wouldn't expect it to be too complicated. Even if losing half the population resulted in the utopia Thanos was hoping for (which it definitely didn't) and created a true unified earth without borders or wars, billions of lives is an unfathomably high price to pay for that.

Endgame was already stacked to the gills, but it would have been interesting if during one of the scenes (maybe during the grief counseling scene or while Natasha and Cap are hanging out) they pointed out some of the things that had improved, kind of as a way to try to cheer themselves or others up. While I don't think any debate about whether to bring everyone back or not holds water, I think the world starting to be on the right track after 5 years would have been more intriguing than the impression Endgame gave of everything barely holding together and garbage piling up in the streets.

Also I may have had the wrong idea on how that last scene went down, just with how it was edited it didn't seem they went to the extreme. But with the way the last shot is framed and how the Shield looks, it seems pretty likely that what I wanted to have happened happened, they just toned it down to basically the maximum you could. Which hey, that makes sense I suppose for the Mouse.

There's the scene where Cap says 'hey I saw some Whales the other day' and he and Natasha both recognise how weak the 'nature returning' upside feels.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

NowonSA posted:

Steve did make that comment about Whales in the Hudson...

I could see Bruce while being glad everyone came back, not feeling super great about all the old systems of exploiting people returning at the same time. Maybe even a little angry that the world didn't learn anything from it...

Give me Devil Hulk you cowards.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A missed opportunity that they decided not to make it a decapitation, it would have been poetic for Walker to pervert the shield's use into a literal guillotine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LegionAreI posted:

:catstare:

I want to say that's bait but I really don't know anymore.
I don't know if I want them to go that way in universe or if it would be a little *too* on the nose.

I can totally believe that there are chuds out there who totally see this as justified, as I said as long as you can say "this is to protect America", you can justify any horrible thing.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

I headcanon that after The Battle of New York, SHIELD spent some time giving Steve training to bring him in line with the 21st Century and he was a prodigy learner both because he's got the Erskine serum, and because he's an intelligent guy overall.
The Russos said as much in interviews and the blu-ray commentary for Winter Soldier, that Steve had spent time during the two years between Avengers and the Winter Soldier studying modern martial arts and other athletic disciplines such as parkour.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Wakanda can't be that mad at Bucky, they didn't take their billion dollar arm back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Wakanda can't be that mad at Bucky, they didn't take their billion dollar arm back.

They're not mad, they're just disappointed.