Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The fact that they seem to defer to him, and his apparent mystical power (He absolutely read your aura in that conversation) reads to me like he's actually way older than them.

So I'm guessing dragon in disguise. Which one's hanging around HK in this timeframe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dareon posted:

So I'm guessing dragon in disguise. Which one's hanging around HK in this timeframe?

Hong Kong is undisputedly Lung's turf. But he's also the head of the Yellow Lotus's biggest competitor. He's not hiding out on their doorstep pretending to be a nobody. Dragons have more pride than that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Stroth posted:

Hong Kong is undisputedly Lung's turf. But he's also the head of the Yellow Lotus's biggest competitor. He's not hiding out on their doorstep pretending to be a nobody. Dragons have more pride than that.

Also much more prominent astral signatures. You might be able to convince someone you're not a dragon easily, but "a nobody" is a lie that no mage better than Zak Flash would buy.

(See also: our absent friend Algernon, who isn't a dragon but also nobody actually knows what he is nor will he say)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

KataraniSword posted:

Also much more prominent astral signatures. You might be able to convince someone you're not a dragon easily, but "a nobody" is a lie that no mage better than Zak Flash would buy.

(See also: our absent friend Algernon, who isn't a dragon but also nobody actually knows what he is nor will he say)

He's the only thing more powerful than a great dragon, the GM's self insert.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I dont know posted:

He's the only thing more powerful than a great dragon, the GM's self insert.

The great drag-on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Anticheese posted:

The great drag-on.

:haw: :v:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Stroth posted:

Well, Great Dragons do, but regular dragons can shapeshift too, can't they?

I pegged Lau as a disguised dragon myself, but that's far from the only thing he can be. A ghost? A Spirit riding shotgun in someone? Some God or Power or personification of something just dropping in for a game of Go? Possibilities are endless, really...

And boy, does Heoi feel like a great and lively hub. The Kreuzbazar was good too, but you actually feel that people live here... a shame HBS has seemed to move on from Shadowrun, because every game really does seem to be better than the last in measurable ways.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There's also more mundane explanations for Lau's situation than him being a secret spirit or something. Well, mundane for this setting. Maybe he's a human who grew up poor in this part of town, made it big with one of the local corporations because of his likely magical talent, and could afford a leonization.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Or maybe he's just really good at Go.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Personally I just took him as a refreshing reversal of the wise old man stereotype. Especially since the hotheaded emotional one of the group is an old man.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or maybe he's a spike baby elf whose parents were rich enough to get his ears "fixed" and is just playing with his old buddies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JT Jag posted:

There's also more mundane explanations for Lau's situation than him being a secret spirit or something. Well, mundane for this setting. Maybe he's a human who grew up poor in this part of town, made it big with one of the local corporations because of his likely magical talent, and could afford a leonization.

Good plastic surgery is a couple orders of magnitude cheaper than leonisation.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i think this is an actual callout to game lore

Laughing Man is Harlequin's username on Shadowlands. And let's face it, he absolutely is the kind of guy who would somehow get Poetry Slams forever banned just for a lark. :allears:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Or accidentally.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Or maybe that's what he wants you to think.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Or accidentally.

Or by releasing a memetic weapon to distract some people.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

KataraniSword posted:

He's clearly a smugness elemental.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

resurgam40 posted:

Well, Great Dragons do, but regular dragons can shapeshift too, can't they?

I pegged Lau as a disguised dragon myself, but that's far from the only thing he can be. A ghost? A Spirit riding shotgun in someone? Some God or Power or personification of something just dropping in for a game of Go? Possibilities are endless, really...

And boy, does Heoi feel like a great and lively hub. The Kreuzbazar was good too, but you actually feel that people live here... a shame HBS has seemed to move on from Shadowrun, because every game really does seem to be better than the last in measurable ways.

What have they done lately anyway? Other than Battletech i mean.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

citybeatnik posted:

What have they done lately anyway? Other than Battletech i mean.

The most recent things they did were Battletech and Necropolis; they've been radio silent since wrapping up their roadmap for Battletech, though they've been constantly advertising for jobs so they're not dead yet.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I would love a Crimson Skies game from them

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Magni posted:

Laughing Man is Harlequin's username on Shadowlands. And let's face it, he absolutely is the kind of guy who would somehow get Poetry Slams forever banned just for a lark. :allears:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Harlequin is incredibly dickish even by the standards of Immoral Elves, which is pretty drat high, as we saw a bit of in the first game.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

The most recent things they did were Battletech and Necropolis; they've been radio silent since wrapping up their roadmap for Battletech, though they've been constantly advertising for jobs so they're not dead yet.
As far as I can tell, they haven't officially announced anything since then, except a vague mention of working on "two non-Battletech games". Could be Shadowrun 4, could be some other totally different property, nobody really knows.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GhostStalker posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised. Harlequin is incredibly dickish even by the standards of Immoral Elves, which is pretty drat high, as we saw a bit of in the first game.

Maybe a typo, maybe a joke, but funny either way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You don't achieve immortality by having morals.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

You don't achieve immortality by having morals.

It's not really something you achieve, in this case. Some elves just stop aging in their mid twenties.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lifespan measured in the hundreds and emotional intelligence measured in two low digits.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Harlequin is actually one of the less lovely Immortal Elves, iirc, which gives you an idea of exactly how bad they tend to run.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, the impression I've gotten is that while Harlequin is a world-class dick the majority of the other IEs are straight-out monsters.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

loving autocorrect, but it still works.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, the impression I've gotten is that while Harlequin is a world-class dick the majority of the other IEs are straight-out monsters.

They run the Tir nations like they own the place, and they do (with the addition of another few assholes like the big worm), and the population hates the gently caress out of them, the IRA, not-elves and elves alike, has restarted activity to kick them out.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be some decent ones but they are apparently possessed of the power of not really being powerful assholes.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I now remember why Crafty was my favorite NPC in SR:HK. The "Phyllis" exchange.

I don't know of many opportunities in games where you can get into a prolonged exchange with an NPC like that. Plenty of NPC quip at you, or quip at each other, but never where you start off with an obvious joke and you both take the opportunity to chew the scenery for a few exchanges.

I also don't think I ever noticed the fetishes. I would have absolutely picked up one or two late-game if I had.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

Lifespan measured in the hundreds and emotional intelligence measured in two low digits.

normal elves have it in hundreds, immortal have it in the thousands

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

They run the Tir nations like they own the place, and they do (with the addition of another few assholes like the big worm), and the population hates the gently caress out of them, the IRA, not-elves and elves alike, has restarted activity to kick them out.

I'm pretty sure there's got to be some decent ones but they are apparently possessed of the power of not really being powerful assholes.

At least Tir Tairngire managed to have a revolution in the late 60s that kicked most of the Immortal Elf Princes out of the country and broke their stranglehold on power, overturning their magical “meritocracy” and putting an elected Dwarf former member of the Council of Princes in charge. Sure, the Great Dragon Hestaby and a bunch of other powerful movers and shakers (like James Telestrian from the first game) still sit on the council, but they’re now elected, and the average denizen of the Tir (at least those with a SIN) has somewhat more of a say in what goes on in Cara’Sir (aka Portland before it was renamed) even if they weren’t born with king poo poo magic.

In Tir na Nog neither the Unionists or the Republicans are happy with the loving magical Immortal Elves lording over them, but the UK is in no position to push it’s claims (what with the Lord Protector, who all but runs the government and Parliament for Queen Charlotte, being in the pocket/one of the primary movers and shakers of the New Druidic Movement who have rewilded a lot of Great Britain except the major cities which are still the typical cyberpunk hellholes, especially the London sprawl), so it’s up to the IRA and the Knights of the Red Branch (mostly human group funded by UCAS Irish expats, including the Irish mob, classed as a terrorist Human supremacist organization) to try and push back against the country run by the European Immortal Elves.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2021

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Reliable Matthew is my favorite NPC in this game.

I always feel a bit bad that I don't play a rigger so I can't help the guy out.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

habeasdorkus posted:

Harlequin is actually one of the less lovely Immortal Elves, iirc, which gives you an idea of exactly how bad they tend to run.

Yeah. It's like people making GBS threads on Lofwyr because the Great Dragons will gently caress people over.

I mean, you're not wrong, but.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Is there anywhere that actually has a good writeup of Shadowrun lore or will I have to rely on goons of eld to relay the good stuff over the LP bonfire?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ibblebibble posted:

Is there anywhere that actually has a good writeup of Shadowrun lore or will I have to rely on goons of eld to relay the good stuff over the LP bonfire?

you're better off w the bonfire

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In that case I'm kinda curious at to what Shadowrun Southeast Asia is like, if there even is any lore written about it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
youre gonna like the extended edition bits then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sounds dope, as a Malaysian I'm used to us being forgotten about in sci-fi/fantasy stuff set in Asia which is almost always Japan-centered.