Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zero VGS posted:

Some early access indie game is out that answers my question of "What if Path of Exile had good looting, good controls and good performance?"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104280/The_Slormancer/

:stare: that looks cool as hell. Switch port plz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zero VGS posted:

Some early access indie game is out that answers my question of "What if Path of Exile had good looting, good controls and good performance?"

Hero Siege is also very much in this vein. Lots of ideas blatantly stolen incorporated from Diablo 3 and PoE. Pretty nice playing with a controller.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269210/Hero_Siege/

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Donthecrown has been playing this a lot lately.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Papercut posted:

Looks like you could easily get $12 worth of fun out of this at the very least

Twelve dollars, what are you, rich? Don't you know how many stash tabs that can buy?!

(the answer is 4 btw)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Are you going to set up macros and bots to play that for you as well?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

xZAOx posted:

Twelve dollars, what are you, rich? Don't you know how many stash tabs that can buy?!

(the answer is 4 btw)

Could be buying weta pets for free mystery boxes all the way through Mark's retirement for this riches

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

The lead up to new patch feels worse than the lead up to Christmas when I was 9.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Picked up slormancer. Deeeeefinitely feel the POE influence and maybe some tidbits from other games as well. Pretty well worth the 12 or 15 bucks.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
My starter build always has been and always will be minion spam, be that golems, spectres or '10 of every minion at all times please' because the correct number of buttons to press is 1 (and that one button is 'left click, with left click set to move only').

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Been a while since last time I played Cyclone, and haven't tried any CoC builds, so I guess I'll combine those with something, probably on Shadow.

Until then I decided to check the Last Epoch EA for some fresh ARPG jank.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

My starter build always has been and always will be minion spam, be that golems, spectres or '10 of every minion at all times please' because the correct number of buttons to press is 1 (and that one button is 'left click, with left click set to move only').

But what about offerings? Thats a button mate

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Normal and I really wasn’t using a guide this time around but I’ve used brittle knees years ago. You can use it as a base for everything srs related

If you do follow brittle knees it’s really tanky if you get all the jewels and gear. The one I ended up with was pretty fragile but as long as I didn’t get one shorted I would regenerate to full life nearly instantly.

Cheers. Gives me a good idea on where to start before I wander off guide to make my own tweaks.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, but the whole thing with minions is not having to press buttons so...

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

That's what CWDT exists for!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Awesome! posted:

i normally buy 1 skin transfer since they are sometimes useful unlike my 50th weta

You say this like having 50 weta pets in your hideout is not awesome.

"Welcome to my recreation of the exodus from Egypt"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

You can get a wand with "trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" and set Phase Run or Vortex(with curse on hit if you want) to left-click. Alternatively you can get a helmet with "trigger a socketed spell when you focus" and set focus to left click. Either will get you your desecrate/offering/curse setup while preserving your hand.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I'm maybe going to repeat myself for the first time ever and go Divine Ire again since it was not only the most successful I've ever been with a build (downed Sirius more than once, including at A8; almost got The Feared done if it weren't for a silly fuckup; took out Shaper and Elder no problems, killed Uber Atziri, downed the Maven, etc etc etc) but also the most FUN.
Stuff I've tried and enjoyed:
Divine Ire (giant hits from a huge laser, massive damage, killed bosses I never even managed to try before)
Bleedquake Juggernaut (lived through a lot of things I wasn't used to even pretending to survive, lovely big single hits with the multi-warcrying slams, the first thing I managed to kill Sirus with)

Stuff I've tried and been cool on (largely during December, which was a great time for experimenting for me):
Spellslinging (I did the ED trickster shtick, and it just...felt funny to me. More about the firing stuff from wands than the everything-dying-in-a-wave-of-exploding-DoTs shtick, I think)
Baron Necromancer (it was the easiest thing ever until it wasn't, and finding out my guide was outdated halfway through made me really unsure of myself right before the whole thing started running into a brick wall around red maps+ where bosses would mulch my minions and I had no idea how to improve it)
Blade Vortex Chieftain (felt like I was constantly running around while trying to pull up my pants)
Bleedbow Gladiator (besides the fact that I think I just hosed this one up somehow - couldn't get the damage out, particularly on single-target - I believe I'm just biased against shooting arrows compared to shooting giant magic nonsense or slugging people)

Overall, I think what I particularly want is something that can kill bosses (I never got around to Uber Elder before getting tired of Ritual league), and maybe (based on my previous record) something that deals damage through large single attacks - although that's not quite as mandatory. and of the stuff I haven't tried, the things that most intrigue me are:
-cold damage (never done anything that used freezing before, while I've done multiple characters that wanted fire and one or two cold damage guys)
-something that wants critical hits (almost everything I've ever played has used either Resolute Technique or Elemental Overload)
-unarmed or unencumbered nonsense (for the novelty)

The big thing that Ritual taught me with Divine Ire was how to do more research and at least PRETEND to look at the dps calculations and other tools in PoB. I wouldn't have ended up with as remotely as much damage if I hadn't asked around you guys for what you were doing, why you were doing it, and where your builds were - and if you hadn't shown me. So, thank you all for that.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Can anyone say a few words about playing toxic rain mines vs selfcast?

I was thinking of trying a mine build again this league and mabye a toxic rain build at some point. But now I'm thinking why not both?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Mines mean you ignore reflect completely, automatic aiming for less wrist strain, and you can absolutely truck anything that has a load-in or a phase transition where you can stack up before they activate. I'm also pretty sure the top end damage is higher. Self-cast is still perfectly fine for TR but, short of just not liking the mine playstyle, mines are a better version in pretty much every way.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Mines mean you ignore reflect completely, automatic aiming for less wrist strain, and you can absolutely truck anything that has a load-in or a phase transition where you can stack up before they activate. I'm also pretty sure the top end damage is higher. Self-cast is still perfectly fine for TR but, short of just not liking the mine playstyle, mines are a better version in pretty much every way.

Self-cast lets you use Mirage Archer, which is also nice lazy QoL, if you want to be kinda lazy and also hate pressing the Detonate button

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Put Detonate on your left click and you never have to hit it again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The best part about coming back for a new league after skipping a year is forgetting how everything works, again

Also the RSI

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You thought clicking in Poe was bad

Slormancer is insane

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3079423

Challenge rewards. Pretty swank portal at 36 but the rest was meh.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried Grim Dawn and got about 3 acts in before stopping. It's okay but dated. The main issue I kept hitting is that the tool tips don't explain anything. Trying to figure out what counts as a default attack or not, or trying to figure out what "constitution" is, just hard to navigate overall. The mechanic of adding your skills onto the constellations is clunky and weird. I finally gave up when I hit the part with patches of aether all over and I can't stand anywhere, and since I'm melee I can't hit the monsters camping in the middle of the aether and apparently there are no aether resistance potions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Estraysian posted:

The bird is pretty cool. I like pets, they make my minion zoo look even more exotic

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Estraysian posted:

gently caress, guess I'm going for 36 again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You def need to follow a build in GD I think. It’s obscure .

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I tried Grim Dawn and got about 3 acts in before stopping. It's okay but dated. The main issue I kept hitting is that the tool tips don't explain anything. Trying to figure out what counts as a default attack or not, or trying to figure out what "constitution" is, just hard to navigate overall. The mechanic of adding your skills onto the constellations is clunky and weird. I finally gave up when I hit the part with patches of aether all over and I can't stand anywhere, and since I'm melee I can't hit the monsters camping in the middle of the aether and apparently there are no aether resistance potions.

Just like PoE, following a newbie friendly build is a much better way to get into the game

It actually has a shocking amount of content with both expansions installed, and late game builds get insane (the devotion tree is really neat, letting you add skills to your skills is like cast on crit except... always on for all builds)

There are aether resist potions and outright near invuln potions as well

iirc the first build guide I followed was for a death knight (soldier/necro), was very fun

Last time I played I did two builds, one poison dot caster, one ice assassin, both were also fun

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/build-compendium-x-forgotten-gods/49673

Hit the builds for beginners section and follow along

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The hat is the only reward I want but drat it, I can't stop at 12.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Has anyone tried BA elementalist as a league starter? Seems interesting.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I was considering it but it feels a bit too squishy for the league mechanic. You're going to be leveling as Armageddon Brand + Flame Wall and likely sticking with that for a while, but thankfully those are the current meta speedrun skills so it works out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Witch doesn’t get arrow gems I don’t think

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

While I'm shopping for my league starter build, there been any cool skill gems added in the last year?

Last time I played was Delirium, so anything added since then.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

victrix posted:

While I'm shopping for my league starter build, there been any cool skill gems added in the last year?

Fist of war is a support but best 'new' gem in the game imo.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

thinking about leaguestarting deadeye lancing steel?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

victrix posted:

Since Delirium you've got:

Hydrosphere
Blazing Salvo
Void Sphere
Crackling Lance
Frost Shield
Splitting Steel
Sigil of Power
Flame Wall
General's Cry
Intimidating Cry
Seismic Cry
Ancestral Cry
Earthshatter
Arcanist Brand
Wintertide Brand
Penance Brand

I think the consensus on Earthshatter is that it's fine. Arcanist and Penance Brand can be pretty powerful if built correctly (I think I recall a Volatile Dead/Detonate Dead setup that used Arcanist with super high HP corpses; Penance you can do quite a bit of conversion shenanigans with). Crackling Lance is supposedly super disappointing and Blazing Salvo ain't too great either. The rest are secondary or buff skills.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

euphronius posted:

Witch doesn’t get arrow gems I don’t think

League starting as BA elementalist doesn't mean literally using BA from level 1 you donk.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Since Delirium you've got:

Hydrosphere
Blazing Salvo
Void Sphere
Crackling Lance
Frost Shield
Splitting Steel
Sigil of Power
Flame Wall
General's Cry
Intimidating Cry
Seismic Cry
Ancestral Cry
Earthshatter
Arcanist Brand
Wintertide Brand
Penance Brand

I think the consensus on Earthshatter is that it's fine. Arcanist and Penance Brand can be pretty powerful if built correctly (I think I recall a Volatile Dead/Detonate Dead setup that used Arcanist with super high HP corpses; Penance you can do quite a bit of conversion shenanigans with). Crackling Lance is supposedly super disappointing and Blazing Salvo ain't too great either. The rest are secondary or buff skills.

Thanks, helpful, I can look up some stuff with these

Last build I played was facebreaker/cyclone and it clowned endgame and let me do all bosses/a8 for the first time

So I'd like to try something with a slightly different playstyle this time around, whether melee or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cracklance is fine but not great after the buffs last patch. Flamewall and General's Cry both have good builds, though GC might be nerfed this patch.