Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Groke posted:

Also I understand that it's increasingly popular to use phone apps and such for prayer timing, instead of relying on being within earshot of a mosque.

It's one of those "acceptable cheats" that I love about religious rulings, like every city large enough having an eruv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I believe soldiers in a war are exempted.

I have rugby a try one summer, and a couple of the guys were fasting whole doing very tough practice sessions and games. I was told they didn't even drink water, though that doesn't right.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In judaism at least it's pretty well accepted that preserving your life and health comes before following the mitzvot, ie God doesn't want you to pass out or die on Yom Kippur. I imagine most muslims are similar.

If people can't fast on the prescribed holiday for whatever reason, it's not uncommon to "make it up" later when you're healthy.

e: iirc the 2014 world cup happened during ramadan, and the french and algerian players at least just held off till the tournament was over and then had a "late" ramadan fast month.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 9, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Soldiers, pregnant women, the elderly, the ill, travelers, medical/emergency workers, students sometimes etc. Like I said it's a symbolic act explicitly not supposed to be a burden, just a symbolic act of self-restraint.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've heard about tons of interesting and sensible exceptions to the fast. I've read that athletes (esp. mma fighters and wrestlers) are allowed to postpone the fast if it puts undue hardship on their training (e.g. you have a fight booked for three weeks after the fast ends - just do your fast after the fight). Though the top two Muslim mma fighters I know (Khabib and Khalidov) both refuse(d) fights if the training camp would intersect with Ramadan.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Count Roland posted:

I believe soldiers in a war are exempted.

I have rugby a try one summer, and a couple of the guys were fasting whole doing very tough practice sessions and games. I was told they didn't even drink water, though that doesn't right.

No it's definitely a thing (the no water bit). Though I don't think it's universal either.

The bit I posted earlier was actually from a community in northern Norway behind the AC, so yes they did have to come up with something b/c there's literally 0 hours of night in some of those places.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zedhe Khoja posted:

ugh ramadan is next week :smith:

Weird how there's no marker for the Bay Area, which surely has more Muslims than a lot of the other cities shown on the map.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

ugh ramadan is next week :smith:

"ugh" for the best part of the year?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Rah! posted:

Weird how there's no marker for the Bay Area, which surely has more Muslims than a lot of the other cities shown on the map.
Excluding Ushuaia and Longyearbyen which are clearly only there as southern/northernmost points, I think only Brasilia has fewer Muslims than the Bay area. Brasilia is a very odd choice, though.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PawParole posted:

"ugh" for the best part of the year?

I know few muslims who describe ramadan that way. Also the hours of fasting correspond pretty nicely with "hours that restaurants are open" in Istanbul because of corona. A month of sad solitary meals at home. Finished off this week right with a good breakfast though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siz-xBfIqpg

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I know few muslims who describe ramadan that way. Also the hours of fasting correspond pretty nicely with "hours that restaurants are open" in Istanbul because of corona. A month of sad solitary meals at home. Finished off this week right with a good breakfast though:

if thats all halal then I'm jealous. whered u get it?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was in Egypt during Ramadan in 2019 and it owned super hard. We did make sure not to be like every other rear end in a top hat tourist and gulp down as much water (or food) as we could in front of Egyptians during the day at all the sites, we would go hide and try and do it subtly, despite protestations from literally every Egyptian we met saying it was fine and they didn't mind.

Everything came alive so amazingly after dark though. It was incredible. Parties all night in the hotel courtyards, too. It ruled. That said, near the end it was obviously getting to be a lot for people. One of our guides was basically dying by the end of the day.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kamrat posted:

Yeah I was working with someone when they had Ramadan in the middle of summer here i Sweden, she was older and had an extremely hard time and almost fainted several times, her Imam told her that her health must come first and that she should eat and not feel guilty or that she's betraying her faith.

She felt a lot better after she started eating during the day but she still felt guilty despite what the Imam told her but I imagine it's not that unusual for exceptions like this to be made.

From what I understand Islam is generally very common sense and chill about its requirements. Like if you have a good reason, such as your health, not to do it then you really should not. I’m sure there’s some idiots trying to prove they’re holier than the rest by being dumb shits about it though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Of course, "doing it wrong" is an ancient tradition practiced within every religion since the dawn of time. "Holier than thou" is one common variation.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

PawParole posted:

if thats all halal then I'm jealous. whered u get it?
Arada Cafe
It's on the main transit line, juuuust outside of one of the main touristy areas. Fifteen bucks for everything you see there. If you're ever in the city it's like, top five restaurants to go to.

Groke posted:

Of course, "doing it wrong" is an ancient tradition practiced within every religion since the dawn of time. "Holier than thou" is one common variation.

One sec I need to polish the callused horn growing out of my skull from slamming it into the concrete every time I make salah. Oh you don't have one? Yeah you only get this if you're super devout man, not surprised you don't have one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

If i were a turkish restauarant i would simply alter my hours to not be the time when 90+% if my clientele are religiously forbidden from eating

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I think the point is that they can only be open during certain hours due to covid, otherwise they'd happily do that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I wasn't under the impression that cat was a staple of the Turkish diet but I don't judge.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Cat is the most important factor in any dining experience in Istanbul. If there is no cat in your bakery or supermarket you know the food is no good, a restaurant or cafe without at least four cats is clearly unsanitary, and if the hospital you go to doesn't have cats wandering the halls you should make sure your will is order because it's clearly a shithole run by psychopaths.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Excluding Ushuaia and Longyearbyen which are clearly only there as southern/northernmost points, I think only Brasilia has fewer Muslims than the Bay area. Brasilia is a very odd choice, though.

I dunno. I'm not sure what methodology went into the map, and It's hard to find statistics, but in terms of population, it looks like the Bay Area probably has close to 100,000 Muslims, or roughly 1% of the total (the NYC metro has 400,000-800,000, or 2%-3%, for comparison), which is an equal or larger percentage, than smaller metros that are on the map, such as San Diego, El Paso, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. I'm not gonna go through every city on the map, but those are examples that jumped out at me immediately and the stats seem to back it up.

It could be that they're using the MSA metro area designation for America, which chops the Bay Area into several separate parts, but then SF should still be ranked above San Diego and El Paso at least, for number of Muslim residents.The Daily Beast (lol) also attempted to rank America's "Muslim-capitals" by looking at the number of Muslims in MSAs (excluding metros below 0.5%), along with the number of mosques per capita, and availability of halal food, and they still had SF at #8 out of 30, below Peoria IL (not on the map either, but its a small metro to be fair), and above Houston. I could be wrong, but I also feel like a bunch of South American, Caribbean, Pacific island, and Central American cities on the map probably don't have more Muslims than the Bay Area.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 10, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Cat is the most important factor in any dining experience in Istanbul. If there is no cat in your bakery or supermarket you know the food is no good, a restaurant or cafe without at least four cats is clearly unsanitary, and if the hospital you go to doesn't have cats wandering the halls you should make sure your will is order because it's clearly a shithole run by psychopaths.

Well, now I know where I want to live

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Continental Spain being dragged up by Ibiza, clearly.

Albania, though?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Albania, though?

need something to keep you alert for a long night in the bunkers

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Umbra Dubium posted:

Albania, though?

Albania likely stands out because it is a long standing hub for drug smugglers.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 10, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Albania was one of the prime growing European regions for opium poppies in the late 19th and early 20th centuries due to the soil quality and climate (and introduction via the Levant), and later turned that into a large scale cannabis growing op for south-east Europe. Coca wouldn't do so well natively, but it makes sense that if you're building the routes and connections and have the right level of control of the local and national power structures you're going to start bringing it in.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Private Speech posted:

No it's definitely a thing (the no water bit). Though I don't think it's universal either.

The bit I posted earlier was actually from a community in northern Norway behind the AC, so yes they did have to come up with something b/c there's literally 0 hours of night in some of those places.
This is a fairly significant plot point in Mordecai Richler's Solomon Gursky Was Here, in that one of the characters spends summers rescuing Inuit Jews by bringing them south of the Arctic Circle so that they can stop fasting.

In reality, I don't think any religions native to the northern parts of the world have solar-based fasting, for obvious reasons.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Albino Squirrel posted:

This is a fairly significant plot point in Mordecai Richler's Solomon Gursky Was Here, in that one of the characters spends summers rescuing Inuit Jews by bringing them south of the Arctic Circle so that they can stop fasting.

In reality, I don't think any religions native to the northern parts of the world have solar-based fasting, for obvious reasons.

this reminded me of the Northern Exposure episode where Joel needed to do some religious ritual that required 10 Jews (a minyan after looking it up) so the town had to launch an advertising campaign to get 9 random jews in rural alaska to come to Cicely because that's the only way it could have happened

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

I’m curious to see this overlaid with cannibus consumption data.

Is this cultural preference Or is this more - drug enforcement is more strict in other countries?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Portugal and Czechia both have decriminalization of all drugs for "personal amounts".

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Cracker King posted:

I’m curious to see this overlaid with cannibus consumption data.

Is this cultural preference Or is this more - drug enforcement is more strict in other countries?

This is probably waste water derived statistic, so at least methodologically independent of drug laws. Unless you mean cultural effect from said laws?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

TinTower posted:

It's one of those "acceptable cheats" that I love about religious rulings, like every city large enough having an eruv.

I always wondered why they don't just make a mini 1m2 Eruv and claim inside it "outside" - making the whole rest of the planet "home". Would fit some stories from Jewish religious law interpretations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Letmebefrank posted:

This is probably waste water derived statistic, so at least methodologically independent of drug laws. Unless you mean cultural effect from said laws?

I was thinking of cultural social preferences like - beer being preferred over wine in Germany. Pork rolls in South Jersey and Taylor Ham in north Jersey.

But I had not considered effects from laws.

I would argue that’s a chicken and the egg territory at a certain point and it would distract from my real curiosity which is cultural vice preferences overall.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Portugal and Czechia both have decriminalization of all drugs for "personal amounts".

The Netherlands have very liberal drug laws too but consumption is still high.

Cracker King posted:

I was thinking of cultural social preferences like - beer being preferred over wine in Germany. Pork rolls in South Jersey and Taylor Ham in north Jersey.

Yeah, maybe it's this. Czechia has a reputation for being a huge meth manufacturer. Might be a cultural preference for amphetamines over cocaine in some countries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Meth Europe / Cocaine Europe

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

Do any non-Abrahamic religions even do yearly fasting? Genuinely curious, I only really know the Abrahamic religions for most purposes. I don't think Scandinavian paganism, new or old, has it in a religious way, although I'm sure the Vikings had a pretty strict "no fresh fruit or veggies December-February" thing going for climate reasons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even my mother who was born in the 50s didn't see fruit except around Christmas growing up in Iceland.

Though this is probably not as applicable to the continental Nordic countries since Denmark is 90% farmland and you can't throw a rock without hitting an apple tree down there.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

BonHair posted:

Do any non-Abrahamic religions even do yearly fasting? Genuinely curious, I only really know the Abrahamic religions for most purposes. I don't think Scandinavian paganism, new or old, has it in a religious way, although I'm sure the Vikings had a pretty strict "no fresh fruit or veggies December-February" thing going for climate reasons.

I first thought of Baháʼí, but it pretty solidly counts as Abrahamic.

But Jainism does too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paryushana

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Letmebefrank posted:

According to the UN report, it varied based on the country and where insufficient, extrapolated based on similar countries. The primary source they used for most countries was actually survey data, but they also used treatment data and mortality data and extrapolated outwards from similar and nearby countries

Methodology:
https://wdr.unodc.org/wdr2019/prelaunch/WDR-2019-Methodology-FINAL.pdf

The entire Drug report for 2019
https://wdr.unodc.org/wdr2019/

2020's is out too, just change the year in the url.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, maybe it's this. Czechia has a reputation for being a huge meth manufacturer. Might be a cultural preference for amphetamines over cocaine in some countries.

At least in Czechia meth is limited to fairly narrow groups of people, but that has nothing to do with how much is made there.

I know a few people who've done cocaine in Czechia but meth is more of a lower-class/crime-associated drug. Lots of people smoke weed though, which I suppose isn't that surprising since it's legal to grow for personal use.