Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

He's real life iron man!!!!

I think he's more Batman, his main superpower is inheriting a bunch of wealth.

Also because I feel like this didn't get enough love earlier...

Alucard has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

he isnt even doing anything to make life on mars easier, like if he was funding self sustaining habitats at the bottom of the ocean or actively building a space station then i could believe that his end goal is mars, as it is hes just getting stoned on pills and funding whatever ideas pop into his head

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
he doesn't even sell real flamethrowers

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

duz posted:

he isnt even doing anything to make life on mars easier, like if he was funding self sustaining habitats at the bottom of the ocean or actively building a space station then i could believe that his end goal is mars, as it is hes just getting stoned on pills and funding whatever ideas pop into his head

He hasn't even tried to stop the lawman from beating up the wrong guy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

My engineer friends tell me humanity is going to need another planet and Musky is the best chance of getting one. It takes too long to explain why this is dumb soooo.

These are slso people who see going to space as a self evident end goal of humanity. Like the answer to the question of why are we here? As if we're in a loving Civilization game or something.

this is what STEMlords actually believe lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
they're not wrong - humanity needs another planet because assholes like them are going to do nothing to stop the destruction of this one. we, as a species, are incapable of saving our own asses. we have the worst global pandemic in a century and the usa is more worried about moderna and pfizer profit numbers than they are opening up patents so the world can get over this plague.

the earth is hosed because of humans, and after we kill nearly everything on land and oceans it'll take a few million years for the cephalopods and crabs to take over all the land niches once held by vertebrates. the need for another planet for the human species to survive is 100% correct.

they're wrong about thinking that anyone is getting us off of this rock let along an idiot like musk. we're dying on this rock.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
there'a 100 billion planets in the galaxy but i got a really good feeling about Mars, literally the closest one to us

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Maybe this 'Mars' business is cover-for-action?

You what's easier than Martian Domes? Antarctican Domes.

And where's the go-to spot for billionaire bunkers? New Zealand's South Island.

Domes in Antarctica. Private farms in Otago.

:tinfoil:

The trouble with Antarctica is that earth laws still apply. So you'd have to use paid adult labour. And consensual adult wives. These are deal-breakers to Captains of Industry.

Also most of Mars has some sunlight year round, unlike Antarctica. But mostly it's the child abuse.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

they're not wrong - humanity needs another planet because assholes like them are going to do nothing to stop the destruction of this one. we, as a species, are incapable of saving our own asses. we have the worst global pandemic in a century and the usa is more worried about moderna and pfizer profit numbers than they are opening up patents so the world can get over this plague.

the earth is hosed because of humans, and after we kill nearly everything on land and oceans it'll take a few million years for the cephalopods and crabs to take over all the land niches once held by vertebrates. the need for another planet for the human species to survive is 100% correct.

they're wrong about thinking that anyone is getting us off of this rock let along an idiot like musk. we're dying on this rock.

Hey. The earth is hosed because of some humans, not all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NYT: Amazon shoppers are the best way to hold Amazon accountable

also - no, it's too hard for me to stop shopping at Amazon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Man I wish we could vote with something other than our wallets, oh well

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Biplane posted:

Hey. The earth is hosed because of some humans, not all.

#NotAllHumans

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Nastier Nate posted:

there'a 100 billion planets in the galaxy but i got a really good feeling about Mars, literally the closest one to us

Mercury is more frequently closer than Mars.

https://www.livescience.com/65002-closest-planet-earth.html

And even then, Venus is #2, Mars third.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I remember when voting with your wallet stopped Walmart 20 years ago

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

huh this sounds like a public good

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

#NotAllHumans

Unironically this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We can't even unfuck earth, what kind of absolute moron thinks we will ever terraform Mars?

Science fiction is fun! It's also fictional.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Screaming Idiot posted:

We can't even unfuck earth, what kind of absolute moron thinks we will ever terraform Mars?

"Look if slamming nuke after nuke into Mars to kickstart terraforming is wrong, I don't want to be right"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Screaming Idiot posted:

Most realistic outcome is we have two uninhabited planets, both heavily modified from their natural state.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

actionjackson posted:

cause of AWS to fully boycott amazon you'd basically have to give up the internet and live in a hut off the grid

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mercury is more frequently closer than Mars.

https://www.livescience.com/65002-closest-planet-earth.html

And even then, Venus is #2, Mars third.

If you want to go space dumb, Venus it's way closer to the sun and also basically made of greenhouse gases, sulphur and lava. And Mercury has no atmosphere, which means you either get cancer and boiled to death in two seconds or freeze to death.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tiberius Christ posted:

I remember when voting with your wallet stopped Walmart 20 years ago

not shopping at Amazon is the only thing an individual could do, and there's no reason not to

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boycotting Amazon, and especially Walmart, requires you to pay way more for your stuff. Which is fine for bourgeois assholes like myself, but it's not like the average American is gonna pay double or triple for organic free range sourdough bread from local sources.

Also, you're buying the exact same Chinese crap consumer products in Walmart, Amazon and the mom and pop store/local chain, except at different prices. Paying more for literally the same thing is hard for me, and I'm the guy paying 5x the price for coffee and flour for sustainability and quality.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

If you want to go space dumb, Venus it's way closer to the sun and also basically made of greenhouse gases, sulphur and lava. And Mercury has no atmosphere, which means you either get cancer and boiled to death in two seconds or freeze to death.

It's actually not made of lava most of the time, it's just that periodically the entire surface breaks up and it turns into a giant lava ocean to release the built-up energy it can't get rid of otherwise because its plate tectonics stopped working billions of years ago.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I LOVE Science...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you're capable of building completely self sufficient colonies in a low gravity environment without a meaningful biosphere and atmosphere and also constantly bombarded by space rays why'd you bother doing it on Mars :confused:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mars is the most famous planet other than Earth because of science fiction so it's optimal for targeting rubes to market himself, which is the primary reasoning behind everything Musk does.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you're capable of building completely self sufficient colonies in a low gravity environment without a meaningful biosphere and atmosphere and also constantly bombarded by space rays why'd you bother doing it on Mars :confused:

I don't think we're capable of that either buddy

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah, lol at building a space colony down a loving gravity well.

In terms of accessibility and practicality this is roughly the Earth equivalent of building a floating city in the sky and having the only way to access it be free-climbing up a 1km long rope with no knots in it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think we're capable of that either buddy

You don't say :haw:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spatial posted:

Yeah, lol at building a space colony down a loving gravity well.

In terms of accessibility and practicality this is roughly the Earth equivalent of building a floating city in the sky and having the only way to access it be free-climbing up a 1km long rope with no knots in it.

Gym teachers have spent years looking for a justification as effective as “you use algebra every day when you go to the grocery store” and if we can give it to them then don’t we have an obligation to do so?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
if we have the technology to terraform Mars to make it inhabitable by humans, it seems like we’d be much better off using it on earth to slightly adjust the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

if we have the technology to terraform Mars to make it inhabitable by humans, it seems like we’d be much better off using it on earth to slightly adjust the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere down.

Yeah but then these billionaires don't get to build super villain bases on different planets

Like Muskrat said, Mars doesn't have to follow Earth laws

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I loving dare any of these nerds to build a supervillain base on South Pole or in the middle of a desert with 0 material interaction with the rest of humanity

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Like hell Tesla plans to just indenture their whole working class on Mars because gently caress what are human rights?

I've know a Muskrat fan who swears that will never happen because the various governments on Earth wouldn't let it happen and they'd stop it. And just no they won't stop it at all

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Len posted:

Like hell Tesla plans to just indenture their whole working class on Mars because gently caress what are human rights?

I've know a Muskrat fan who swears that will never happen because the various governments on Earth wouldn't let it happen and they'd stop it. And just no they won't stop it at all

They literally don't stop it on Earth what makes anyone think they'd stop it on Mars? What makes them think they'd even try to?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Oldest Man posted:

They literally don't stop it on Earth what makes anyone think they'd stop it on Mars? What makes them think they'd even try to?

He fully believes that capitalism is fine. I made the mistake of saying I'd like public transit in discord once and he went off on a tirade about how public transit is bad and garbage and shouldn't exist

Well yes, we live in bumfuck, ohio. It's bad here because everything is spaced out and we don't fund the service to make it good. Just keep ignoring the guy from Columbus telling you that's not how the bus system works at all in a civilized place where people live

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I think the most "promising" plan for terraforming mars (lol) involves nuclear reactors melting the ice caps, so I don't know if applying the same thing to Earth would be a great idea.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BonHair posted:

Boycotting Amazon, and especially Walmart, requires you to pay way more for your stuff. Which is fine for bourgeois assholes like myself, but it's not like the average American is gonna pay double or triple for organic free range sourdough bread from local sources.

Also, you're buying the exact same Chinese crap consumer products in Walmart, Amazon and the mom and pop store/local chain, except at different prices. Paying more for literally the same thing is hard for me, and I'm the guy paying 5x the price for coffee and flour for sustainability and quality.

so you will simply always go wherever the price is the lowest, 100% regardless of that company's policies?

I mean part of the reason they are the cheapest has to do with how they treat their employees. And things like "prime shipping" only exist because they continue to exert more and more pressure on them.

I think people should boycott Amazon, but Americans buy a ton of poo poo every year they don't need, so I think people need to be shopping a lot less in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

I loving dare any of these nerds to build a supervillain base on South Pole or in the middle of a desert with 0 material interaction with the rest of humanity

P sure Thiel is trying exactly this with his funding of that stupid bitcoin seasteading pod community thing. Last update from that was "the prototype was impounded by the korean navy" or something.