Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Decided I couldn't wait for this to come to switch, does anyone know where I can get an Afterbirth+ completed save file? I'm not seeing anything in the steam workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Have you been going through the Mausoleum?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

thanks.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Huh. Just got the final ending. I was really expecting it to take longer, I've only played Repentance for a couple hours and never played Antibirth. I still have tons to do obviously, but I was hoping for a longer build-up.

Liking the DLC so far, although I feel like Hard mode is really stingy with damage ups. Is it just me or are they rarer now?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally got BRAINS! down. Basically lucked into A Quarter to buy Chaos, which eventually lead to Sad Bombs (so the brains did extra damage), Book of Revelations for free hearts and, for the surprising MVP of the run, Bumbo! It turns out when the bosses you have to fight don't move much having a familiar that can follow them and deal constant damage is a blessing.

Also he gave me tons of batteries, so Bumbo is indeed a good boy.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Decided I couldn't wait for this to come to switch, does anyone know where I can get an Afterbirth+ completed save file? I'm not seeing anything in the steam workshop.

there's one here that should work

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thanks!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ultra / Top Secret Rooms are such a cool idea and concept

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OK, I can definitely add Isaac's Awakening to the list of challenges you should do ASAP, it's fun as all hell and the unlock is amazing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Black August posted:

Ultra / Top Secret Rooms are such a cool idea and concept

Yeah the whole red room/key thing is a really inventive mechanic and also has a creepy sense of mystery to it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Man, Hush is gonna be such a pain in the rear end with J&E. How will I even do it now that the shots on the screen are much faster and that hitbox. Oh wait is that a chaos card?? NOW I GOTTA RUSH TO HIM!! And I made it and he's toasted. Never have to truly do that now :D

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Hot Potato is a doozy of a challenge and I'm glad to never have to do it again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Just lost a run where I got a Cricket's Head in the first treasure room and lucked into buying a Humbling Bundle in the first shop, because I went for the Lost transformation boss rematch in Dross II. Guess what I'm absolutely going to do again on my next run?

As much as I die to that poo poo though I can't praise it enough as a bonus mechanic for an alt-floor/secret path. It's cool and creepy the first time you do it but even after that wears off it's always there, tempting you to get greedy. And if you have the D6 and can reroll that knife piece too, oh my god dude... (that said I wish there was similar incentive to do the Mines or Gehenna if you aren't going for Mother. Too dangerous!)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I usually go for them anyways due to the possibility of choosing the hidden item when the visible one sucks.

I lost a tainted lost run with moms knife where i insta one shot everything with an extra holy card because triachnid still has that stupid loving bullshit attack where he stomps yoi before his leg sprite shows up and then literally the room before moms heart got the room where theres 4 leeches on both sides and they cornered me. Rip. So mad, man

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ArfJason posted:

I usually go for them anyways due to the possibility of choosing the hidden item when the visible one sucks.

Yeah and the couple times I've taken The Knife but not gone down the Mother path it's put in work for me too; it's a really good familiar. I usually don't risk it though since I don't have the Mines/Ashpit bosses down very well, plus I'm working on filling out Isaac's completion marks so I always reroll the first Knife Piece anyways

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
The Bible almost feels essential for the Seeing Double challenge.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

I lost a tainted lost run with moms knife where i insta one shot everything with an extra holy card because triachnid still has that stupid loving bullshit attack where he stomps yoi before his leg sprite shows up and then literally the room before moms heart got the room where theres 4 leeches on both sides and they cornered me. Rip. So mad, man

They changed the triachnid/daddy longlegs stomp attack. There's a small shadow on the ground where the foot is going to land for about a second before it actually lands.

It's way easier to avoid now, which is great because the bosses have double hp in repentance

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Chimera disappeared twice in a row for me when I was about to kill it, forcing a restart with the boss obviously at full hp again, loving my last two runs.

Between the bugs, the nerfs, and lovely bosses like Delirium staying lovely, I really don't get why we had to wait so much for Repentance. Most of the content has been out for a while now anyway.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feel like I've stalled out on unlocking items in the past days, think it might be time to try hard/greed mode

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

goferchan posted:

Just lost a run where I got a Cricket's Head in the first treasure room and lucked into buying a Humbling Bundle in the first shop, because I went for the Lost transformation boss rematch in Dross II. Guess what I'm absolutely going to do again on my next run?

As much as I die to that poo poo though I can't praise it enough as a bonus mechanic for an alt-floor/secret path. It's cool and creepy the first time you do it but even after that wears off it's always there, tempting you to get greedy. And if you have the D6 and can reroll that knife piece too, oh my god dude... (that said I wish there was similar incentive to do the Mines or Gehenna if you aren't going for Mother. Too dangerous!)

I really like the alt-floors and almost always go for Downpour but I also skip Mines/Mausoleum unless I'm going for Mother. And I almost always do the Lost thing because it's cool and a lot of free stuff for very little effort, unlike the Mines segment. I think I'd do them more if Ashpit/Gehenna weren't so common. Even Dross is pretty dangerous, so maybe it's just that I'm more used to those (and burning basement/flooded depths/etc).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Got my first Witness kill on my first attempt at the alt path to make it past the sewer. It was an Eden run that started with a D infinity, which I thought was a D1 until the dead womb. New D infinity seems insane. The Witness was tough but still seemed easier than Delirium. I'm glad they made unlocking the knife pieces un-obscure enough that you can figure it out organically, although I may never have if I didn't end up blundering into the white fire.

On an annoying unrelated note, it seems like Mega Satan wins don't count for unlocking Bethany. I was able to get her just from a mom's heart win on my second run on a fresh file, but then I downloaded a cleared afterbirth+ save so I had to unlock her again.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Can I get someone to double check how I think the two new alt paths work? I'm trying to tackle them now that I nabbed my third Hush kill.

Mother

1. Use a key to get to Dross/Downpour II. White fire/mirror thing on Dross/Downpour II (clearing Dross/Downpour I not required)
2. Use two bombs to get to Mines/Ashpit II. Hit the buttons and dodge Mom's Shadow on Mines/Ashpit II (clearing Mines/Ashpit I not required)
3. Sacrifice two hearts to get to Mausoleum/Gehenna II. Kill alternate Mom on Mausoleum/Gehenna II (clearing Mausoleum/Gehenna I not required.
4. The Knife opens up Corpse, where we kill alternate Mom's Heart, and then Mother, the end of this path.

Home

i. This path seems dependent on having gotten a Mother kill prior
1. Do run as normal up to the first Mom fight, leaving a trinket behind in a boss or item room on one of the prior floors
2. Teleport out of the Mom boss arena after killing her. Guaranteed Fool Card in a marked skull on Depths II
3. There's a new room containing an item that starts the ascent
4. Make sure to revisit the boss/item room with the trinket from earlier
5. The portal on Basement I takes you to Home where you can get the Red Key the first time through, which unlocks the alt character
6. Sleeping in Mom's bed opens up the room for the final boss fights

I hope I got that right. The wiki is kind of vague on which floors have to be cleared and which you can skip.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That all checks out, yeah. First time through you don't need to do the trinket thing because the chest has a guaranteed Red Key, but you may as well make a habit out of it because if you're like me you absolutely will forget it on future runs and feel very dumb

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think Mines II is usually worth the effort - the knife familiar gives a significant buff to damage, and it’s a source of damage that goes through walls. Not as high-impact as Downpour II or Mausoleum II, though. (Mausoleum II is amazing because you get an extra treasure room, an extra shop, and you don’t have to deal with the Womb’s double damage effect.)

apophenium posted:

Can I get someone to double check how I think the two new alt paths work? I'm trying to tackle them now that I nabbed my third Hush kill.
This is mostly right. On the Home path, the trinket thing is only needed after the first run. On the way back up it spawns a cracked key, which can substitute for the red key to unlock the character. To do that, you need to use the cracked/red key in the part of Home where you see a faint red outline on the wall. Also, to start the ascent, you need to go through a special door in the start room of Depths II with the Polaroid or Negative, which will take you to Mausoleum/Gehenna II - you’ll find the relevant item in the boss room of that floor. Oh, and I’m not sure whether you can normally get to Mausoleum/Gehenna II from Depths II for the Mother path.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

I think Mines II is usually worth the effort - the knife familiar gives a significant buff to damage, and it’s a source of damage that goes through walls. Not as high-impact as Downpour II or Mausoleum II, though. (Mausoleum II is amazing because you get an extra treasure room, an extra shop, and you don’t have to deal with the Womb’s double damage effect.)

drat I never actually considered that! Guess I need to practice that floor a little more

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There are some incredible looking unlocks for tainted characters defeating mega satan. Bethany and Jacob's look so good but good lord beating mega satan with tainted jacob...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well, just discovered exiting just as you die apparently keeps your win-streak? Otherwise I'd be real pissed since I'm trying to go for the "Get a 5 win streak with different characters each time" and dying as Azazel against Isaac feels real bad.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Loaded up my regular PS4 Rebirth save and pretty amazed I somehow finished The Lost without Holy Mantle at some point. I'm so bad now I can barely make it to the third floor without getting hit by something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Something I've been increasingly realizing with J&E is that almost every item in the game is dramatically less good on them than any other character. Something like the Book of Revelations basically guarantees a win on any other character with hearts, but doesn't really have much impact on J&E without another health item for your other guy. Speed ups give you half as much speed. Damage modifiers are worse because one of your characters has a horrible damage multiplier and the other one has a terrible base tear delay. In fact I'm pretty sure J&E end up doing less damage than almost any other character by the mid-late game.

All this means that when you're getting two items in the alternate floors I'd regard that as being roughly on par with what other characters get, rather than a bonus. Really it's probably still much worse because one of those items is curse of the blind and there are a tonne of run ruining items for J&E.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...oh, great. Forgot using R resets the win streak. Welp, time to do it all over again! :dumbgun:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Going downstairs while affected by the Mega Mush will cause the game to hang. Not crash - I could still see the exit to the Womb pulsing - just freeze solid. You have to quit out entirely.

E: The marked skull can drop Telepills if they're known to be in the pool.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 11, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I normally avoid brimstone baby (and most of the familiars that shoot. I just hate having to manage that; it's way less fun.) But I pretty much had to take it on my last run, and hoo boy did the brimstone nerf hit brimstone baby hard. It's super not worth it now.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Something I've been increasingly realizing with J&E is that almost every item in the game is dramatically less good on them than any other character. Something like the Book of Revelations basically guarantees a win on any other character with hearts, but doesn't really have much impact on J&E without another health item for your other guy. Speed ups give you half as much speed. Damage modifiers are worse because one of your characters has a horrible damage multiplier and the other one has a terrible base tear delay. In fact I'm pretty sure J&E end up doing less damage than almost any other character by the mid-late game.

All this means that when you're getting two items in the alternate floors I'd regard that as being roughly on par with what other characters get, rather than a bonus. Really it's probably still much worse because one of those items is curse of the blind and there are a tonne of run ruining items for J&E.

They also get hit more than twice as much as any other character and in bad room layouts there's really nothing you can do about it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bomb beggar gave me Mama Mega on a Bethany run and well, using Mama gives you 10 (I think; it was a LOT) gold bomb-looking orbitals. When they extinguish they drop a golden troll bomb, so you've suddenly got a constantly-detonating thing flying around the room, bouncing off of tears and its own physics.

That was really, uh, "fun" on the Mega Satan fight. Still got the win though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Two cool things: sometimes blowing up shopkeepers spawns Greed, and in one room on a map I found a mini-shop with one item for sale.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Black August posted:

Two cool things: sometimes blowing up shopkeepers spawns Greed, and in one room on a map I found a mini-shop with one item for sale.

These were both in the game pre-repentance.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

These were both in the game pre-repentance.

Well then I'm surprised by something I've never seen before in all the hundreds of hours playing

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Yeah they were both super rare. I've only seen each a handful of times in 2k+ hours.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

No Wave posted:

There are some incredible looking unlocks for tainted characters defeating mega satan. Bethany and Jacob's look so good but good lord beating mega satan with tainted jacob...

Yeah I am beelining some of these. I unlocked the crane game with tainted samson. First time I saw it after I said oh cool, I'll give this a go. Saw Tech X being picked up inside it and was like lol yeah, I'm sure this isn't really it and it will be some garbage item. Sure enough it was really Tech X! What a nice surprise!.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Greed coming out of shopkeeper and secret room keepers ive seen a billion times but a room just having a single item for sale ive seen once and it was in rep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've seen the single item shop before Repentance. Extremely rare obviously but it did happen

Also I've run into Membership Card twice now and both times it wound up getting me access to a game-ending item so it's an always-buy for me now