Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

I floated the idea of buying a bike to keep at my friend's place in Calgary so I have something to ride when I visit instead of renting. He's all for it, as long as it's cool and he can ride it. Of course, I wouldn't want it sitting rotting! Anyway I was kinda serious, kinda not, but then I saw this...

Tempting but I doubt I can get my poo poo together quickly enough to take advantage... Still...

That can :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

I floated the idea of buying a bike to keep at my friend's place in Calgary so I have something to ride when I visit instead of renting. He's all for it, as long as it's cool and he can ride it. Of course, I wouldn't want it sitting rotting! Anyway I was kinda serious, kinda not, but then I saw this...

Tempting but I doubt I can get my poo poo together quickly enough to take advantage... Still...

Yep that's a Canadian Hawk we never got that color scheme. $3700 cn is around $3k US, which would not be a great deal for that bike here but I don't know your market. Other than the unfortunate weld job on that 2>1 it looks to be a completely bone stock Hawk, which can be a good or bad thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorson posted:

Yep that's a Canadian Hawk we never got that color scheme. $3700 cn is around $3k US, which would not be a great deal for that bike here but I don't know your market. Other than the unfortunate weld job on that 2>1 it looks to be a completely bone stock Hawk, which can be a good or bad thing.

is the exchange rate that good right now? To be honest, I haven't been paying attention to it. My rule of thumb is 150% so 3k USD is 4500 CAD. I don't know about the Calgary market specifically, but $3000-3500 seems fair for a good+ condition Hawk, just because of its sort of cult status. Bike prices are weird up here and Covid hasn't helped. Prices are all over the place.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Finger Prince posted:

is the exchange rate that good right now? To be honest, I haven't been paying attention to it. My rule of thumb is 150% so 3k USD is 4500 CAD. I don't know about the Calgary market specifically, but $3000-3500 seems fair for a good+ condition Hawk, just because of its sort of cult status. Bike prices are weird up here and Covid hasn't helped. Prices are all over the place.

Yeah we're in uncharted waters for used bike prices. I have no current plans to buy or sell anything but I'm going to watch the market to see how it sorts out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ask if they still have the stock exhaust lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
They don't sound very good with an aftermarket exhaust. Factory muffler is just fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

nah, supertrapp is the best for that bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I must confirm that the Supertrapp on mine sounds fuckin fantastic. Very deep and burbly, throaty when you get on the gas, but not too loud.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Double confirm that SuperTrapp on a hawk is the best. I've ridden hawks with 2bros and something else and they all sound like hot garbage, but the trapp is probably the best motorcycle sound I've ridden on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Should I sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2019 790 Duke? Kind of would be cool to get some modern safety features like traction control and ABS.

My first bike was a KTM 625SMC, which was a piece of crap and super unreliable, so I'm hesitant to consider KTM again but this does seem pretty cool.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/fredericksburg-2019-ktm-790-duke/7296837527.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What do you want to achieve ultimately?

In reality that bike IS like an SV650 with better suspension and brake components and more power but without the Suzuki trustworthiness.

E: oh, it’s a PTwin and not a vtwin? :chloe:

Depends on what type of ptwin it is I suppose it could be ok

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 11, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

I'm hesitant to consider KTM again but this does seem pretty cool.

:lol: this is the siren call of KTM and I say this phrase in my head all the time. For this specific KTM, I think you'd be better off keeping your SV. Unless you are super bored or done with your SV, then sure try something new. If not, then put some suspension into it and maybe a nice exhaust and give it a new lease on life.

VTWIN > PTWIN

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What do you want to achieve ultimately?

In reality that bike IS like an SV650 with better suspension and brake components and more power but without the Suzuki trustworthiness.

E: oh, it’s a PTwin and not a vtwin? :chloe:

Depends on what type of ptwin it is I suppose it could be ok

Yeah I was surprised to learn it was a ptwin.

Mostly more modern brakes, suspension, and safety features like ABS and TCS seem very nice. I think I also enjoy the riding position and handling of a naked bike with handlebars over clipons, but I haven't ridden all that many bikes.

Although, I just read a review for the 790 and apparently the suspension has basically no adjustability other than preload in the rear.

Although, when I think about I think I primarily enjoy doing track days over street riding but I'm not sure what other bikes to look at.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Coydog posted:

:lol: this is the siren call of KTM and I say this phrase in my head all the time. For this specific KTM, I think you'd be better off keeping your SV. Unless you are super bored or done with your SV, then sure try something new. If not, then put some suspension into it and maybe a nice exhaust and give it a new lease on life.

VTWIN > PTWIN

I will probably just get some new tires and get the suspension more adjusted for myself. The PO put an Ohlins rear shock on it that probably could stand to be rebuilt and more adjusted for me. It has fork emulators as well but the suspension guy I used a few years ago at the track was trying to tell me that whoever installed it probably drilled out the fork rods "too much" and that I should replace them and redo the fork emulator install.

The springs on the front and rear, from what I can tell, are correct for my weight, which was a nice coincidence. And I've replaced the fork oil not too long ago.

I may just take the bike to him again and let him take care of rebuilding the shock and possibly inspecting or redoing the fork emulators.

I also put an m4 slip-on on it not too long ago that sounds much nicer than the factory can.

But anyway, primarily I was thinking looking at what more modern bikes are out there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

Should I sell my 2008 SV650SF and buy a 2019 790 Duke? Kind of would be cool to get some modern safety features like traction control and ABS.

My first bike was a KTM 625SMC, which was a piece of crap and super unreliable, so I'm hesitant to consider KTM again but this does seem pretty cool.

No keep the SV.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Yeah I was surprised to learn it was a ptwin.

Mostly more modern brakes, suspension, and safety features like ABS and TCS seem very nice. I think I also enjoy the riding position and handling of a naked bike with handlebars over clipons, but I haven't ridden all that many bikes.

Although, I just read a review for the 790 and apparently the suspension has basically no adjustability other than preload in the rear.

Although, when I think about I think I primarily enjoy doing track days over street riding but I'm not sure what other bikes to look at.

they're okay bikes, but any ptwin (even their decent ptwin) Sucks rear end. keep the SV

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

they're okay bikes, but any ptwin (even their decent ptwin) Sucks rear end. keep the SV

I’m gonna second this

V2 > I2

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Agreed on V2 > I2.

Also, annoyed that all the cool new bikes are mostly liter+ super bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I will probably just get some new tires and get the suspension more adjusted for myself. The PO put an Ohlins rear shock on it that probably could stand to be rebuilt and more adjusted for me. It has fork emulators as well but the suspension guy I used a few years ago at the track was trying to tell me that whoever installed it probably drilled out the fork rods "too much" and that I should replace them and redo the fork emulator install.

The springs on the front and rear, from what I can tell, are correct for my weight, which was a nice coincidence. And I've replaced the fork oil not too long ago.

I may just take the bike to him again and let him take care of rebuilding the shock and possibly inspecting or redoing the fork emulators.

I also put an m4 slip-on on it not too long ago that sounds much nicer than the factory can.

But anyway, primarily I was thinking looking at what more modern bikes are out there.

Have you considered a street fighter 848?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Have you considered a street fighter 848?

Those are very cool.

I wonder if the riding position is very comfortable or if the rear sets have you leaning fairly far forward like the Monster.

Should I be afraid of the fairly expensive services on modern ducatis? I recall hearing that their more recent bikes didn't need any scheduled service until around 18-20k miles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you're even considering an orange bike you have nothing to fear from a red one.

They are fairly sporty yeah, no avoiding that if you want to do more than mediocre circulating at the back of the group I'm afraid.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I would say get a Monster if you like the feel of it!

Servicing wise, it's a bike, throw some money at a mechanic, or DIY. It's a vehicle more for fun than for practicality (I say this while owning no cars); you shouldn't be basing a large amount of the decision of what bike to get on "is the service interval 10k or 20k, and is the servicing +$100 compared to a Japanese bike?"

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My two cents about the Duke 790:
It's a very sexy bike and oh my god it corners soooo nicely. The engine is smooth and rev happy. The brakes are of another world compared to those on an SV. It's quite exciting.

But

It's uncomfortable. The suspension is easy to bottom out even with one average Yuropean person without luggage. It is unusable in hot weather because even when riding it very gently, it blasts your legs with hot air. It's just a bit too fast to enjoy it on public roads. It's not as nice to ride slowly in normal city traffic, it's not as luggable as an SV.

So i'd absolutely get the Duke if you wanna get on a track, but for daily use an SV is just the nicer bike to ride.

Regarding the Monster - i found it a bit underwhelming. It looks pretty and it it's the most comfy of the three. It was like an SV, but more filtered, less mechanical. Less rev happy. Just as luggable, a delight in city traffic.
The duke got my heartbeat up a lot more. But if i were to go on longer rides a lot, i'd take the Monster, and not a/my SV or a Duke. The little wind deflector on the 2020 monster 800cc-ish, worked almost as well as the whole fairing of my SV650s.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 11, 2021

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

I would say get a Monster if you like the feel of it!

Servicing wise, it's a bike, throw some money at a mechanic, or DIY. It's a vehicle more for fun than for practicality (I say this while owning no cars); you shouldn't be basing a large amount of the decision of what bike to get on "is the service interval 10k or 20k, and is the servicing +$100 compared to a Japanese bike?"

Totally fair. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for an 848 street fighter and in the meantime just stick with the sv.

There's a difference between tedious or expensive maintenance intervals and the shiny glitter in my oil, the starter clutch failing multiple times, and a bunch of other issues I had with the KTM. If the modern KTMs and Ducatis arent going to put me in a dangerous situation or leave me stranded like that bike, then maybe they're safe to consider vs the safe route if another Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't get a KTM.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Totally fair. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for an 848 street fighter and in the meantime just stick with the sv.

There's a difference between tedious or expensive maintenance intervals and the shiny glitter in my oil, the starter clutch failing multiple times, and a bunch of other issues I had with the KTM. If the modern KTMs and Ducatis arent going to put me in a dangerous situation or leave me stranded like that bike, then maybe they're safe to consider vs the safe route if another Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, etc.

Ducatis have the kind of problems that drive you crazy with their trivial stupidness, they almost never have stranding type problems.

Ducati: a royal pain to maintain, but will work mostly perfectly if you do it religiously. Bike is designed properly, so if it breaks returning it to factory generally fixes the problem.

KTM: a royal pain to maintain, will reward your effort by making GBS threads itself anyway. Bike is designed poorly, so if it breaks you have to design and develop a fix to the inherent problem or it'll break again.

If your number one concern is reliability none of these are for you, stick with the SV or get an SV1000 or just accept the inevitable and buy a honda, any kind will do.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Ducatis have the kind of problems that drive you crazy with their trivial stupidness, they almost never have stranding type problems.

Ducati: a royal pain to maintain, but will work mostly perfectly if you do it religiously. Bike is designed properly, so if it breaks returning it to factory generally fixes the problem.

Out of curiosity, the religious "maintenance" procedure would be, and correct me if I am wrong:

1. Keeping it clean and rust proofed.
2. Keeping the tyre pressure correct.
3. Keeping the battery tendered.
4. Following the service schedule, and servicing it at a Ducati dealer, where they'll do the fluids/valves as specified etc etc so you don't have to do any actual wrenching yourself, and it'll be done properly.

If one were to follow these steps, assuming :10bux: isn't an issue, they Ducati shouldn't poo poo itself.

Right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Generally yeah, the problem usually hits at step #4, because most ducati dealers have no idea wtf they're doing and the one person there who does isn't paid to do services, that's the apprentice's job. IMO the best path is either an independent guy who knows and understands them properly, or just doing everything DIY. They are reliable bikes but the margin between 'good enough' and 'will be a disaster' is much finer than japanese stuff.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

KTM: a royal pain to maintain, will reward your effort by making GBS threads itself anyway. Bike is designed poorly, so if it breaks you have to design and develop a fix to the inherent problem or it'll break again.

If your number one concern is reliability none of these are for you, stick with the SV or get an SV1000 or just accept the inevitable and buy a honda, any kind will do.

Its amazing how lovely the 790A sounds. Like it sounds worse than my clapped out nearly 100k-mile early as gently caress lc8 950. Enormous amounts of rattle and sounds like its eating itself alive. Hardware rattles off it like a RoyalPaintshaker. That and a buddy keeps having abs module failures offroad which drops the rear brake completely and without warning. Second warranty module is already dying. Nevermind 10 pounds of electric poo poo in a 5 pound bucket that is the headlight/cockpit, or the fact you gotta take bodywork off to adjust the ugly af headlamp. Super stupid on an adv where it sees use unladen and laden use often.

I don't know what this loving poo poo is, but I was right in that I didn't want one 3 years ago when I went and bought a 950 knowing the 790 was hitting the dealers soon, I'm still sticking by it now.
I can't recommend those bikes to anybody and I've not even ridden one yet. (Though I'll try one post Fauci Ouchie)

Basically buy a mt07/t7 rather than go 790 anything.

Maintenance? #1-4 + proactively look for stuff actively trying to poo poo itself apart. Aka The KTM Method.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Generally yeah, the problem usually hits at step #4, because most ducati dealers have no idea wtf they're doing and the one person there who does isn't paid to do services, that's the apprentice's job. IMO the best path is either an independent guy who knows and understands them properly, or just doing everything DIY. They are reliable bikes but the margin between 'good enough' and 'will be a disaster' is much finer than japanese stuff.

Good to know.

There's Ducati Glasgow as the nearest dealer to me, but I think there's also an indy Ducati guy within 20 miles, that works at the Knockhill racetrack near by. He apparently knows his poo poo.

If I don't end up needing to commute long distance, maybe a used Monster 696 or 796 will be something I look into (I love the look of the underslung exhaust, and bonus, my huge clown feet won't be bumping off the the exhaust as they would in the newer Monster 821's).

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 11, 2021

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

MetaJew posted:

If you aren't married to the idea of a v twin, the Street Triple can be gotten with really nice brake/suspension hardware, but at least for the newer ones I hear bad things about reliability. Older Speed Triple might be up your alley too. The Yamaha MT09-SP has high end suspension, similar power to the KTM and the engine is great, it's a surprisingly angry engine for a Japanese bike. Also, it's the only modern naked bike that's modern, reliable and not a 4cyl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The mt09, and especially the sp, is an absolute weapon and imo has a really sharp, aggressive character through the whole bike not least the engine. I remember riding one having already ridden a proper sorted mt07 and finding it preposterous because it somehow felt lighter and smaller and even more flighty and wiggly and even more connected despite being a bigger bike with a fatter tyre. Shame it's ugly.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

People fix the ugliness by replacing the transformer headlight with a round one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, I think the frame is really ungainly and weird looking, I'm also not a huge fan of tall stubby bikes in general, stylistically. But who gives a gently caress, if you even halfway like how they look get one, they are superb hoon machines.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The XSR has a stock round headlight but is even uglier (IMO) because how it clashes with the frame, making it look like the parts bin bike it is.
I agree that the frame is ugly, the SV or a Ducati have an edge there. KTM dropped nice-looking frames with the ptwins and Ducati is in the process of doing so too with the latest monster.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

High Protein posted:

If you aren't married to the idea of a v twin, the Street Triple can be gotten with really nice brake/suspension hardware, but at least for the newer ones I hear bad things about reliability. Older Speed Triple might be up your alley too. The Yamaha MT09-SP has high end suspension, similar power to the KTM and the engine is great, it's a surprisingly angry engine for a Japanese bike. Also, it's the only modern naked bike that's modern, reliable and not a 4cyl.

There are mulitple naked p-twins that are modern and reliable. But I guess p-twins suck?

Probably not the kind of bike they're looking for, but they do exist.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There are mulitple naked p-twins that are modern and reliable. But I guess p-twins suck?

Probably not the kind of bike they're looking for, but they do exist.

Going from the SV vtwin to a PTwin would indeed suck.

Parallel twin engines are perfectly fine, and are reliable as any other engine type, they just tend to be pretty boring.

Keep in mind the SV engine is legendary at this point and a whole lot of stuff is a downgrade from it, not just parallel twins.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Going from the SV vtwin to a PTwin would indeed suck.

Parallel twin engines are perfectly fine, and are reliable as any other engine type, they just tend to be pretty boring.

Keep in mind the SV engine is legendary at this point and a whole lot of stuff is a downgrade from it, not just parallel twins.

Yea I didn't mean to sound bitchy, ha.

More just meant to say that there are multiple ptwin nakeds.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Gonna be getting back into riding soon. There's a non-zero chance I end up with a Goldwing when they're this cheap and chonky

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Keep looking friend you can find cheaper and chonkier.