Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Toaster Beef posted:

As a buyer in a still mildly competitive market, "this house will have fifteen other showings in the next two days" would tell me "there's no loving way you're getting this place." Different markets, though.

Yup, while I was looking at places I would always ask the listing agent what the interest on the property has been like. As soon as I heard they've had 10 showings each day for the past two days or whatever I'd just swear to myself in my head and know that I wasn't going to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I passed on several houses that I wanted to see because I couldn't get a same-day viewing and I knew it would be sold before the end of the day. And they were.

It absolutely sucks balls to be a buyer in a competitive market and I hope I never have to repeat this.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kase Im Licht posted:

Basement stairs are under the other stairs. The windowless areas are the kitchen for the ground floor, and then upstairs on the back the windowless areas are between the second and third bedrooms, which are in the rear corners. The bathroom is probably between them. So the window situation isn't that bad since they get two windows each from being on a corner and a bathroom and kitchen don't need a ton of windows.

The weirdest window thing is actually those tiny windows along the living room and that front bedroom that you think is the master bedroom until the realize they all share one bathroom upstairs.

I guess now that I look at the house more, it's not THAT weird. I'm in Central IL and there are plenty of houses that have decidedly MASSIVE areas on a side of the house with siding and nothing else. Which makes it really easy to tell how good the people who hung the siding were, because sometimes those massive areas have some wild loving waves in them. (I suspect this may be because vinyl siding is hella flexible)

Generally it screams "McMansion" to me, but as far as I'm concerned, windows just mean screen glare.
:goonsay:

I'm also a huge proponent of whole house fans, so I don't NEED a ton of windows to get good airflow; it's more about just being able to open windows in strategic locations to get things moving.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kase Im Licht posted:

Your posts are mildly depressing me. I think we listed the same day (Thursday?) and are (edit: apparently not same area) but we only had 7 signups for showings Thursday and then 9 today. I guess that's not bad and I have no idea what I expected before hand but I just know 16 is a lot less than 40!

Also if I'm in interpreting this booking app correctly, one of those showings didn't even have a buyer it was just an agent looking. Which I guess could be okay if he has clients in mind.

We’re in different areas: I’m outside of Philadephia, in an area that’s currently even more filled with NY license plates than before the pandemic.

We’re taking a weekend to go to DC to get out of the way for realtors, based on the advice from this thread. My wife was working from home yesterday and was supposed to be gone for all the stray showings. I got a call from our agent last night saying that although the couple from LA loved the house and talking to her, she probably didn’t need to tell the them that a house halfway down the street had their finished basement flooded 6 years ago, and that finishing the basement was probably a bad idea.

:suicide:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

We’re in different areas: I’m outside of Philadephia, in an area that’s currently even more filled with NY license plates than before the pandemic.

We’re taking a weekend to go to DC to get out of the way for realtors, based on the advice from this thread. My wife was working from home yesterday and was supposed to be gone for all the stray showings. I got a call from our agent last night saying that although the couple from LA loved the house and talking to her, she probably didn’t need to tell the them that a house halfway down the street had their finished basement flooded 6 years ago, and that finishing the basement was probably a bad idea.

Agent overshare foul, man!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Vasudus posted:

I passed on several houses that I wanted to see because I couldn't get a same-day viewing and I knew it would be sold before the end of the day. And they were.

It absolutely sucks balls to be a buyer in a competitive market and I hope I never have to repeat this.

Leaving for a 4 month work trip knowing I'll be irrevocably priced out of my hometown on my return. Renewed my lease with my landlord, feels so bad man, you're doing the right thing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Your posts are mildly depressing me. I think we listed the same day (Thursday?) and are (edit: apparently not same area) but we only had 7 signups for showings Thursday and then 9 today. I guess that's not bad and I have no idea what I expected before hand but I just know 16 is a lot less than 40!

Also if I'm in interpreting this booking app correctly, one of those showings didn't even have a buyer it was just an agent looking. Which I guess could be okay if he has clients in mind.

My market is different, but as a buyer my agent viewed almost every single property by herself before we did cause she’s awesome.

I only had to actually view two houses physically because she went and took long form video at each place. And since we’re not hugely picky, her videos were enough to put offers on some places without a physical showing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

My family is in Allentown and I grew up there. Over the years, it’s become the “little apple”, as people buy a cheaper place in PA and commute to NYC. It’s also become a giant warehouse

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
What’s the difference between a bridge loan and HELOC in terms of fees and closing costs? I understand the basics, the HELOC is available when you close on the loan but you don’t incur fees until you tap into it and then some places have costs on top of it if you close early. With a bridge loan you, once approved, have access to the cash immediately and are charged monthly payment before you even use it?

We’re trying to sell our place and buy a bigger house but the market is insane and our agent is telling us we either need to sell first and do a rent back while we look or get a bridge/HELOC for the down payment else sellers will pass on our offer..

I’ve also heard of a couple services and agencies that will front you the money for a bridge loan but you have to use them as the listing/buying agent which would require us to drop our current agent. We’re not sure what to do and our agent isn’t helpful because he’s not been in this situation before as he’s relatively new. He doesn’t have many connections in the industry yet either so we’ve done all the leg work with the financing side of things.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Sounds like a great time to find a new agent!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I bought a new place first and are now selling my current home. If you can qualify for a loan without the contingency of selling your current place first it is the way to go.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

I bought a new place first and are now selling my current home. If you can qualify for a loan without the contingency of selling your current place first it is the way to go.

We can, the issue is just the fees associated with bridge and heloc. It’s more out of pocket that way but less stress and gets us into a home.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Sounds like a great time to find a new agent!

I’ve realized that and he’s a very close friend so I’m trying to figure out how to go about that. We haven’t done much with him so far, just a few house visits.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

We can, the issue is just the fees associated with bridge and heloc. It’s more out of pocket that way but less stress and gets us into a home.

I’ve realized that and he’s a very close friend so I’m trying to figure out how to go about that. We haven’t done much with him so far, just a few house visits.

If he is a close friend then he will understand that you need someone with more expertise for your specific scenario. It will be a hard conversation, but if you have an honest conversation about it then I’m sure there will be no long term hard feelings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

:siren: Your friend is not the appropriate person here unless they are well established. Even then they should defer to another equally skilled person in their firm.

Also rent back as the seller is fine. Not your problem how lovely a tenant you are.

Edit:

Glumwheels posted:

He is but he also can hold grudges with people

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

vs Dinosaurs posted:

If he is a close friend then he will understand that you need someone with more expertise for your specific scenario. It will be a hard conversation, but if you have an honest conversation about it then I’m sure there will be no long term hard feelings.

He is but he also can hold grudges with people, I’m hoping he’ll overlook it because this market is great and I’m sure he will have no issue with clients. He just sold one townhome for $140k over list price and a 1.2m property to someone else.

H110Hawk posted:

:siren: Your friend is not the appropriate person here unless they are well established. Even then they should defer to another equally skilled person in their firm.

Also rent back as the seller is fine. Not your problem how lovely a tenant you are.

So you mean in my situation he should defer to someone else who can help us navigate this mess? I agree with that 100%, we didn’t realize how bad it was until we started talking to him and my previous agent. Now I’m realizing we probably should never have started conversations with my friend.

Edit: also gently caress this housing market, I wish we didn’t have to move and could ride it out but we’ve outgrown the house (with little people) and need a solution that and ride out the rest of the pandemic with a backyard, bigger house, and a more livable neighborhood. :sigh:

Edit 2: my ring doorbell caught the buyer’s agent and the buyer discussing the “deal” and apparently they wanted to keep the sale of my property and the purchase I was looking at (same agent as the buyer but being sold by another agent in their office) in the “family” to remove the contract negotiations and make it easier for the office. I wasn’t getting any cut of this deal and would be paying more for a house in an area we didn’t love. I learned a lot more about reading about these pocket listings. My house isn’t on the market yet.

Glumwheels fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 10, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

, she probably didn’t need to tell the them that a house halfway down the street had their finished basement flooded 6 years ago, and that finishing the basement was probably a bad idea.

Fire your agent

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

He is but he also can hold grudges with people, I’m hoping he’ll overlook it because this market is great and I’m sure he will have no issue with clients. He just sold one townhome for $140k over list price and a 1.2m property to someone else.

So you mean in my situation he should defer to someone else who can help us navigate this mess? I agree with that 100%, we didn’t realize how bad it was until we started talking to him and my previous agent. Now I’m realizing we probably should never have started conversations with my friend.

Edit: also gently caress this housing market, I wish we didn’t have to move and could ride it out but we’ve outgrown the house (with little people) and need a solution that and ride out the rest of the pandemic with a backyard, bigger house, and a more livable neighborhood. :sigh:

Edit 2: my ring doorbell caught the buyer’s agent and the buyer discussing the “deal” and apparently they wanted to keep the sale of my property and the purchase I was looking at (same agent as the buyer but being sold by another agent in their office) in the “family” to remove the contract negotiations and make it easier for the office. I wasn’t getting any cut of this deal and would be paying more for a house in an area we didn’t love. I learned a lot more about reading about these pocket listings. My house isn’t on the market yet.

Amazing. Mostly when I said fire your agent it's because they're your friend, but the more you post there are other even more valid reasons to fire them. I would call them (don't write this down) and ask what kind of discount you're going to get for "keeping the contract in the family." Then fire them if they don't say 3% off appraised price. None of this "over asking" nonsense if you're doing a pocket listing for both sides.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Fire your agent

Bbbut my wife told them that. :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fire your agent for letting your wife talk to the buyers

Also look into the return policy on the wife :colbert:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Also look into the return policy on the wife :colbert:

I think there’d be a massive prepayment penalty if I did that. :v:

Our agent claims offers are being written, 17 showings tomorrow. I’m still pessimistic on actually selling our house. Reading the post-showing comments is either incredibly flattering/elating or crushing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Fire your agent

Early and often.

H110Hawk posted:

Amazing. Mostly when I said fire your agent it's because they're your friend, but the more you post there are other even more valid reasons to fire them.

Yeah, Glumwheels too.

Hadlock posted:

Seriously, what kind of agent doesn't keep a hard barrier between the buyers and sellers until like......right before closing at the soonest.

loving real estate. Like I've said before, nearly everyone customer facing from the agents to the mortgage brokers are clearly not the best nor brightest. It's amazing to find one that is actually competent. (So glad I lucked into a competent agent years and years ago long before I ever used them as an agent)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys my wife snuck back in the house. It’s her fault.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Seriously, what kind of agent doesn't keep a hard barrier between the buyers and sellers until like......right before closing at the soonest.

Not once did we ever talk to a seller/sellers wife in any of the 100+ open houses we went to

The only time I even learned the name of the seller was when we signed the offer, never met or talked to the guy or even saw his signature for that matter

What's the point of giving an agent 5% of the sales price if you're just going to do their job for them

Edit

Residency Evil posted:

Fire your locksmith

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Your agent didn't provide an ankle monitor? Fire them.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Amazing. Mostly when I said fire your agent it's because they're your friend, but the more you post there are other even more valid reasons to fire them. I would call them (don't write this down) and ask what kind of discount you're going to get for "keeping the contract in the family." Then fire them if they don't say 3% off appraised price. None of this "over asking" nonsense if you're doing a pocket listing for both sides.

I already asked him that over the phone when I asked him what the fees would be and it was only .5% discount, which after doing research, I knew was bullshit. That sealed the deal we’re going with another agent (among other things). He would have been pissed had we not used him so we’re between a rock and a hard place, but nothing we can do about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

He would have been pissed had we not used him so we’re between a rock and a hard place, but nothing we can do about it.

Really? Why would you want someone like this in your life? You should have started with someone else and let the trash take itself out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Fire your locksmith

But first, have the locksmith tell your agent to fire your wife. Then fire the locksmith.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sundae posted:

But first, have the locksmith tell your agent to fire your wife. Then fire the locksmith.

Something something Dark Knight.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

Really? Why would you want someone like this in your life? You should have started with someone else and let the trash take itself out.

We’ve never had a single issue before and we’ve always been there when the other needed something. Maybe he’ll be fine and we’re stressing out over nothing but I think he might be somewhat hurt. If it were me I’d understand, it’s business.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

I already asked him that over the phone when I asked him what the fees would be and it was only .5% discount, which after doing research, I knew was bullshit. That sealed the deal we’re going with another agent (among other things). He would have been pissed had we not used him so we’re between a rock and a hard place, but nothing we can do about it.

Various of my friends have various useful professional lives. I put a pretty low cap on the amount of money I would hire them to do something for at a few hundred bucks, maybe a thousand. I would try to barter/good will it or keep it to a fancy dinner/bottle of scotch though as "payment." 2.5-3% of the sale price of my house far exceeds that, and the penalty for error too high for me in an effectively unregulated industry. I would suggest you do this as well in your personal life. I also tell my friends to gently caress right off politely decline if they ask me computer toucher questions beyond earnest "can you tell me which router to buy" questions - and my inlaws know the going rate is a tray of brownies for advanced technical support.

Now you know, good job firing them. :toot:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a way to search Zillow, Redfin, etc. for a twinhome, condo, townhouse, etc. that isn't multiple levels? I am one of those people the literally requires dead silence to work I really don't want to have anyone above or below me. I am also of the thought process it'll be easier to noise insulate the sides of my house.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there a way to search Zillow, Redfin, etc. for a twinhome, condo, townhouse, etc. that isn't multiple levels? I am one of those people the literally requires dead silence to work I really don't want to have anyone above or below me. I am also of the thought process it'll be easier to noise insulate the sides of my house.

Detached is the word you’re looking for. While not as bad, attached on the sides is also noisy and if you need dead silence you risk being screwed.

I don’t know how to search on the engines for it, just know that I manually dug for homes that had that feature.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Whelp, family house sold. The realtor had us list it at a "teaser price" and we ended up with like 100+ showings in a single week, a massively high pre-emptive offer, 15 offers (5 of which were considerable) and a bidding war at the end that pushed it up to selling 60% over list and 30% over what we would have accepted (no contingencies). We also were able to get the second highest bidder to go under contract as a contingent buyer if the first one fucks up.

It's loving wild out there right now.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Various of my friends have various useful professional lives. I put a pretty low cap on the amount of money I would hire them to do something for at a few hundred bucks, maybe a thousand. I would try to barter/good will it or keep it to a fancy dinner/bottle of scotch though as "payment." 2.5-3% of the sale price of my house far exceeds that, and the penalty for error too high for me in an effectively unregulated industry. I would suggest you do this as well in your personal life. I also tell my friends to gently caress right off politely decline if they ask me computer toucher questions beyond earnest "can you tell me which router to buy" questions - and my inlaws know the going rate is a tray of brownies for advanced technical support.

Now you know, good job firing them. :toot:

I have a hard and fast rule about not lending friends money but I’m adding this to the list, lesson learned. I honestly don’t know what else I could have done to head this off because he’s helped other friends without issue but completely different situations. I think he expects everyone to work with him as a result.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In many states like CA a townhome legally means no one is above or below you, just to either side. It varies though. But with searching for homes it isn't a guarantee the seller and listing agent are providing accurate info, condos can be listed as townhomes or single family homes so you still need to look into it.

For your specific case, can you put up that sound blocking foam panels in just one room for your office or recording studio?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

El Mero Mero posted:

Whelp, family house sold. The realtor had us list it at a "teaser price" and we ended up with like 100+ showings in a single week, a massively high pre-emptive offer, 15 offers (5 of which were considerable) and a bidding war at the end that pushed it up to selling 60% over list and 30% over what we would have accepted (no contingencies). We also were able to get the second highest bidder to go under contract as a contingent buyer if the first one fucks up.

It's loving wild out there right now.

Was this a hot market? Are there any US markets not like this but with internet service and/or winter road access? Either of the two is fine. Just trying to think through my options before leaving the US over this, because I can't get expat tax breaks sailing on US flag ships.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There are tons of cities with good internet access and still reasonable housing prices/ non-insane markets. Lexington, KY, Chattanooga, TN, and Kansas City come to mind. Lots of places in CT/MA with muni or power company ftth if ruinous state taxes and winters aren’t a turn off.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Ruinous state taxes are the only thing I hate more than a hot housing market! Moving to Raleigh was the dumbest idea of my life!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There’s a ton of markets not acting as crazy. Inventory is down across the board, but many markets are nothing like that at all.

Depends on where you want to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

SchnorkIes posted:

Was this a hot market? Are there any US markets not like this but with internet service and/or winter road access?

My house has 0 offers in New Hampshire and I have access to major roads and 150mb internet :v

Chewing outta agent and dropping the price because this is just nonsense. If she pushes back then time to :sever: