Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Hound posted:

And the trillions of dollars it was announced the day before the state department couldn't account for

Pentagon, not State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'll edit it, it's still spooky

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, is this part serious? because this sounds like poo poo someone would make up to prevent the next thing out of their mouth from being believed either.

It was in the basement of WTC 4 (not 7, sorry), held by a European bank. Apparently when WTC was built, it was intended to be the premier nexus of money and capital, so there were vaults built into the basements.

The whole point of the site was to draw all the power players to it. From that perspective, it shouldn't be surprising that it held sensitive information, regional intelligence offices, etc. Its destruction is what it's predominantly known for, 20 years later. But it was a perfect symbol and target for very important reasons.

Unrelated, just want to say page 666 had some very powerful passing energy. Thank you goons.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Backweb posted:

It was in the basement of WTC 4 (not 7, sorry), held by a European bank. Apparently when WTC was built, it was intended to be the premier nexus of money and capital, so there were vaults built into the basements.

The whole point of the site was to draw all the power players to it. From that perspective, it shouldn't be surprising that it held sensitive information, regional intelligence offices, etc. Its destruction is what it's predominantly known for, 20 years later. But it was a perfect symbol and target for very important reasons.

Unrelated, just want to say page 666 had some very powerful passing energy. Thank you goons.

it was also one of the rockefeller family's crowning achievements

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

it was also one of the rockefeller family's crowning achievements

Its construction or its destruction? :tinfoil:

How much of Manhattan is owned by that family? Acreage, I mean?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Backweb posted:

Its construction or its destruction? :tinfoil:

How much of Manhattan is owned by that family? Acreage, I mean?

I meant it's creation. They were involved in it's design and construction and insisted on making them really big even though that much square footage was not needed in the city at that point in time. it was a prestige project

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
kinda not really here nor there, but i was tooling around Wikipedia and from a 13th century monk scholar who wrote on The Wandering Jew myth, i found myself reading about how the US Army CIC operated a ratline after WWII, helping nazi informants escape justice to South America, as well as literally employing a successful nazi propagandist to help craft anti communist campaigns, and saw that one of their "notable agents" was Mike Gravel lol

it mentions his time in CIC right in his bio, doing both the ratline work ("helping to pay off spies" [you pay off retired informants with travel and new identities]) as well as doing a lot of anti-communist work in France

i don't remember it ever coming up during the embarassing time the gravel teens were a big meme on twitter or sadly here on CSPAM but definitely had a big ol' chuckle over it.

also god drat America employed so many loving nazis after WWII, are there any decently sourced books about it that go into it beyond the space program? because those fuckers infested tons of high up places in the military and private sector

smarxist has issued a correction as of 10:07 on Apr 11, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Devil's Chessboard has multiple chapters on the subject

Also Mike Gravel being an op is a big crack ping + lmao

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Well that's a revelation.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised about the rat lines and poo poo.

American propaganda likes to pretend "defeating Nazism" and "winning WWII" were the same thing. We always ignore that America had a ton of homegrown Nazis before the war. The war effort put them into jobs to help ensure a victory, sure, but why would they disappear afterwards?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea the Nazis didn't lose, they just became the CIA.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
i sent five bucks to gravel, dammit. i guess from now on the assumption should be that no one is allowed to be on the primary stage unless they have been an agent or an informant in a past life, as things have likely always worked and always will work. we don't have elections, we have selections. a major purpose of the intelligence community is to domestically cancel out democracy, to launder old money aristocracy to appear as if it were democracy with public mandate to placate the workers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know about all that but the controlled demolition story sounds like something tacked on to make everyone sound even crazier.

where's that detty post about that newly surfaced pre-911 document proposing an attack involving explosive filled planes?

i don't think it has really entered the public consciousness yet, but that's a pretty clean solution to the "jet fuel melts steel beams" misdirection argument. replacing planes with loaded ones is i guess technically a way to "control" demolition toward total destruction, without having to literally control it by doing something complex and implausible sounding like planting bombs in buildings just in time for planes to hit.

this option of course pairs well with the theory that 9/11 was a late modified attempt to do operation northwoods (see wikipedia), a kennedy-era proposal for a false flag attack involving a plane that is switched out using sleight of hand before being blown up and blamed on cuba. the first flight would be fully booked with agents who willingly uneventfully disembark the plane in the middle of an air force base that it prematurely landed in along the route. kennedy nixed this plan, then was promptly assassinated by a pissed off cia and george bush sr who i guess might have really wanted to do the operation and continued to want to

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 11:38 on Apr 11, 2021

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Backweb posted:

Well that's a revelation.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised about the rat lines and poo poo.

American propaganda likes to pretend "defeating Nazism" and "winning WWII" were the same thing. We always ignore that America had a ton of homegrown Nazis before the war. The war effort put them into jobs to help ensure a victory, sure, but why would they disappear afterwards?

Russia and the UK had already won by the time the US showed up. The only thing the US won in WW2 was the bad sportsmanship award for dropping two nukes on a country they already knew were preparing to surrender.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

is it true that there are no movements without some rich kid getting mad at their parents?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

What do you mean? I know literally nothing and find this stuff fascinating

oh nothing, just thought it was a funny name.... unless,

e:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150918031127/https://money.cnn.com/2010/02/16/news/international/Treasury_intelligence_office/ posted:

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- You probably know the Treasury Department as the agency that brought you the bank bailout, the AIG rescue and, of course, the IRS.

But Treasury is also one of the key players in the war on terrorism and smack in the middle of nearly every major international conflict in which the United States is involved. The office is also playing an increasingly critical role at the center of U.S. foreign policy strategy in Korea, Iran, Afghanistan and throughout the Middle East.

In particular, Treasury has been waging a quiet economic war against Iran.

The department this month expanded sanctions on Iran to include several companies and others affiliated with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps for alleged involvement in nuclear and missile programs.

Inside Treasury, the work is done by a low-profile but high-impact unit known as the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence.

"Years ago, if anybody had said that Treasury would be at the center of all these national security issues, we wouldn't have believed you," said Matthew Levitt, who used to help run the department and now directs the Washington Institute's Stein Program on Counterterrorism and Intelligence.

Treasury is the world's only government finance agency with its own in-house intelligence unit. It has offices as far flung as Riyadh, Islamabad, Kabul and Abu Dhabi.

They're the ones seizing or freezing assets of suspected bad guys -- from terrorists to drug runners. They're a part of the U.S. intelligence apparatus, sharing information with the CIA and the FBI, among others.

"Treasury is the only finance ministry in the world to have an intel shop that is very much focused on financial intelligence, getting access to information about the networks that support terrorists, weapons proliferation or narcotics traffickers," said David Cohen, assistant secretary for terrorist financing.

oh okay

Stevie Lee has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Apr 11, 2021

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

nut posted:

is it true that there are no movements without some rich kid getting mad at their parents?

I get that you’re joking, but philanthropic foundations fund Western lib nonprofits that sabotage protest movements and manage shady color revolutions throughout the world. If you follow the money, these groups, rife with cops and often arranging in advance to get people arrested, constitute most of purported Western “left”.

The fact that these foundations historically were used as funding conduits for intelligence agencies is also relevant but somehow treated as a historical curiosity of the cold war era.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I get that you’re joking, but philanthropic foundations fund Western lib nonprofits that sabotage protest movements and manage shady color revolutions throughout the world. If you follow the money, these groups, rife with cops and often arranging in advance to get people arrested, constitute most of purported Western “left”.

The fact that these foundations historically were used as funding conduits for intelligence agencies is also relevant but somehow treated as a historical curiosity of the cold war era.

yeah you did a very nice thing to me which was recognize the joke, but I guess the real question is whether or not a mechanism exists for movements to continue and grow without a benefactor. I suppose even when they do they just get filled with informants

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

nut posted:

yeah you did a very nice thing to me which was recognize the joke, but I guess the real question is whether or not a mechanism exists for movements to continue and grow without a benefactor. I suppose even when they do they just get filled with informants

not qualified to say really. if nothing else there are more militant stances and tactics that seem genuinely anathema to lib protest groups, and their reasons for this are shaky to nonexistent even when you take their own tepid mission at face value. I interpret what happened to Darren Seals as an example of how desperate the cops get when even a single credible person starts asking too many questions along these lines.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1379869755016904706

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

*nods insanely*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Don't let anyone you wouldn't trust with your life guide you into a trance state, and also don't trip around them either. definitely don't do both things unless you crave a special kind of suicide where your meat body persists without your mind

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Anybody got a link for the Mike Gravel stuff?

I can totally see this being real, considering what thread I'm posting in, but would like to see a source before I start ruining family dinners with it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's right in his wiki, it's not secret info:

quote:

Around May 1951, Gravel saw that he was about to be drafted and instead enlisted in the U.S. Army for a three-year term so that he could get into the Counterintelligence Corps.[15] After basic training and counterintelligence school at Fort Holabird in Maryland and in South Carolina, he went to Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Georgia.[15] While he expected to be sent off to the Korean War when he graduated as a second lieutenant in early 1952, he was instead assigned to Stuttgart, West Germany, as a Special Adjutant in the Army's Communications Intelligence Service.[15] In Germany, Gravel conducted surveillance operations on civilians and paid off spies.[15] After about a year, he transferred to Orléans, France, where his French language abilities (if not his French-Canadian accent) allowed him to infiltrate French communist rallies.[15] He worked as a Special Agent in the Counterintelligence Corps until 1954,[5] eventually becoming a first lieutenant.[16]

what's known about CIC's activities or at least in the wiki:

quote:

The "ratline" controversy
One of CIC's operations in post-war Europe was the operation of a "rat-line" – a conduit for spiriting informants and defectors out of the Soviet Zones of Occupation to safety in South America, via Italy, with false identities paid for by CIC. However, in 1983 the arrest of former SS officer Klaus Barbie in Bolivia raised questions as to how the "Butcher of Lyon" had escaped. It was then revealed that Barbie had worked for CIC from 1947, and in 1951 had been provided with the means of escape in return for his services as an agent and informant.

A Department of Justice investigation also uncovered the CIC's dealings with Father Krunoslav Draganović, a Croatian cleric based in Rome, who while working for CIC, also operated his own clandestine rat-line to transport Ustaše war criminals to Latin America. A further report in 1988 also examined the CIC's use of Nazi war criminals and collaborators as informants in the years after World War II, "In June 1988, Office of Special Investigations within the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice issued a public report which revealed that at least 14 suspected Nazi war criminals, a number of whom likely were involved in the murder of Jews in occupied Europe, had been employed as intelligence informants by the CIC in Austria".[11]

here's the page about the propagandist they hired:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eberhard_Taubert

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Imagine being the guys who were setting up the whole "Iraqi Anthrax attacks" thing, which might have ended up killing maybe 100 people at the very most, and then seeing the planes hitting the towers. Thinking you were making a nice clean casus belli that would efficiently rev up the MIC for its new post-Cold War mission, and suddenly being faced with the fact that you weren't poo poo in the grand scheme of things.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
All of the early conservatives in AK were.... problematic, lmao. I hadn't heard about his early career in such detail before but it is no surprise to me. I mostly know of him as the guy that read the pentagon papers into the public record and it seems like he's had a career of contrasts.

"It is my constitutional obligation to protect the security of the people by fostering the free flow of information absolutely essential to their democratic decision-making." o7

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I mean i'm sure he'd either denounce his service or try to be critical of it today and blah blah rah rah. I mostly just found it amusing more than anything, but I never really gave a poo poo about the guy as a meme sensation

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Do we know if he's discussed his involvement at all? His progressiveness kinda makes me wonder if he had no choice in the matter during his stint.

e: like "I was forced under military orders to help shuttle nazis around. I'm unable to comment, so to make amends let me enter the Pentagon papers into public record."

Backweb has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Apr 11, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Happy Thread posted:

i sent five bucks to gravel, dammit. i guess from now on the assumption should be that no one is allowed to be on the primary stage unless they have been an agent or an informant in a past life, as things have likely always worked and always will work. we don't have elections, we have selections. a major purpose of the intelligence community is to domestically cancel out democracy, to launder old money aristocracy to appear as if it were democracy with public mandate to placate the workers.

along these lines, my brain is small and smooth so idk what faction or network clinton represented, or how he won out over bush sr

I guess I also don’t know what perots deal was either

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bimbo posted:

*nods insanely*

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Clinton sold "third way" politics to the democratic party, which was basically the blueprint they've been following ever since. Clinton said "Look you got your asses kicked in the 80's, you're poo poo garbage because of the Carter admin and being too 'progressive', let Bubba take control of the party, i'm a good ol' boy and i'll find places to sell progressive stuff where I can"

it was essentially the full commodification of the struggles of colored/minority people and queer people's basic human rights into negotiation tools as open to compromise as foreign trade and diplomacy. build a deal on tax/money issues that worked and then try to staple some rights onto it for people before it went out the door and if you couldn't oh well, who cares? what are you gonna do? vote Republican? it's completely unprincipled and puts price tags on basic human rights so of course it was wildly popular and worked well

naturally because democrats are stupid as poo poo they got compromised by this approach, leading to things like the Crime Bill and Welfare Reform Act, because liberals are pathologically incapable of thinking beyond the surface of an issue, they didn't understand how these two pieces of legislation would completely decimate disadvantaged communities that NEEDED more relief, not more jail sentences and less benefits.

because the Clinton Era was the last time people remember things being "good", they still let the democratic party operate in this manner; unprincipled windsocks with no message, no passion, who constantly have the football yanked from them by the GOP just as they're about to kick the game winning field goal of human rights. Biden is basically the second coming of third way clintonian horse poo poo, someone who can get bipartisan dealing done where capital gets everything it wants and everyone else can go pound sand up their rear end

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Riot Bimbo posted:

*nods insanely*

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'd like to see a hostile try to hypnotise me. Not that hypnotism doesn't work, but I have done a bunch of psychedelics and spend most of the day mildly dissociated (while sober) when I'm not sleeping, lol.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

smarxist posted:

Clinton sold "third way" politics to the democratic party, which was basically the blueprint they've been following ever since. Clinton said "Look you got your asses kicked in the 80's, you're poo poo garbage because of the Carter admin and being too 'progressive', let Bubba take control of the party, i'm a good ol' boy and i'll find places to sell progressive stuff where I can"

it was essentially the full commodification of the struggles of colored/minority people and queer people's basic human rights into negotiation tools as open to compromise as foreign trade and diplomacy. build a deal on tax/money issues that worked and then try to staple some rights onto it for people before it went out the door and if you couldn't oh well, who cares? what are you gonna do? vote Republican? it's completely unprincipled and puts price tags on basic human rights so of course it was wildly popular and worked well

naturally because democrats are stupid as poo poo they got compromised by this approach, leading to things like the Crime Bill and Welfare Reform Act, because liberals are pathologically incapable of thinking beyond the surface of an issue, they didn't understand how these two pieces of legislation would completely decimate disadvantaged communities that NEEDED more relief, not more jail sentences and less benefits.

because the Clinton Era was the last time people remember things being "good", they still let the democratic party operate in this manner; unprincipled windsocks with no message, no passion, who constantly have the football yanked from them by the GOP just as they're about to kick the game winning field goal of human rights. Biden is basically the second coming of third way clintonian horse poo poo, someone who can get bipartisan dealing done where capital gets everything it wants and everyone else can go pound sand up their rear end

this is a very good post.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Full disclosure: I ain't watching this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBMweVhES1Q

E: lmfbo, okay maybe a little kinkier than I was aiming for

Inverted Icon has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Apr 12, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

smarxist posted:

good stuff, thanks, but my read from this thread is that no president since kennedy (or possible forever) gets close to power independent of some faction of the ruling class. I’m wondering what dark lords of capital clinton was from

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

intelligence drug running

nut
Jul 30, 2019

ya wasn’t Bill slanging coke in Arkansas from mena airfield

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

good stuff, thanks, but my read from this thread is that no president since kennedy (or possible forever) gets close to power independent of some faction of the ruling class. I’m wondering what dark lords of capital clinton was from

how the gently caress is that even a question Hillary was on the walmart board of directors 1986-1992

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
that’s more like it. all I have are vague memories of right wing noise about seth rich and vince foster, but no idea how to filter that through epstein vision

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

also bill c was a Rhodes scholar which seems to be highly correlated with being in the CIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
we'll probably never know all of what happened at that lovely little municipal airport in Arkansas, the only tangible connection is an Arkansas county prosecutor named Dan Harmon getting busted for drug trafficking and corruption charges years after Clinton had moved on to the White House. they were pretty close in the 80's, but w/e happened there it was done right and by the right people because nobody got caught and nobody rolled so it may as well have never happened

I think the Clinton's are probably as dirty as anybody but they seem to be good at the game