Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paladinus posted:

Nick Offerman = cancelled.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i too refuse to use a word because it was posted on 4chan at some point

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:hmmyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Indecisive posted:

idk that sounds pretty decisive to me

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Indecisive posted:

It's literally a weird extremely online Actual Nazi movement, they've just got a whole vocabulary of "cutesy" codewords so they can openly advocate for genocide & laugh at the normies not getting it

Look

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Borrovan posted:

It's literally a weird extremely online Actual Nazi movement, they've just got a whole vocabulary of "cutesy" codewords so they can openly advocate for genocide & laugh at the normies not getting it

Look
You can plot most of the movement of alt-right memes as a response to public criticism.

Pepe/Wojack were the entry point, including some far-right dingbats trying to make knock-off children's books using the character, at which point the creator of pepe, Matt Furie, stepped in with lawsuits.
At that point it morphed into the Groyper, which is sort of a mixture of the A. Wyatt Mann caricature of a jew and pepe. No I don't understand why. This lasted up until about the time the Christchurch mass shooting event happened, which turned public attention towards 4chan, 8chan, and associated reddits.
With public opinion turning against most far right ethnonationalists (not there was much outspoken support to begin with), a lot of wingnats started embracing the Honkler meme, which is, as you guessed it, Pepe/Groyper in clown makeup. Sort of a doom-and-gloom point of view, specifically that Trump wasn't going to deliver the white ethnostate that was promised, and that a lot of the politicians the far right had embraced had ended up using them for their own purposes and discarding them. Unsurprisingly this is a mix between Hitler and, well, clowns.
This lasted up until many of the ethnonationalists came to the conclusion that self-branding as clowns was not having the desired effect, so many of them went back to groyper memes, but there was some of them that pretty much doubled down on the infantilism aspect of all of this, leading to frenworld. Fren is a sort of cutesy mispronunciation of "friend" that existed before incredibly stupid white nationalists got hold of it, but also stands for "Far Right EthnoNationalist" within those particular communities. The subreddit /r/frenworld was up for quite some time before it became kind of obvious that it was mostly daily stormer level critiques of society with a pastiche of baby talk sprinkled on top.

I think I stopped paying attention after that? Honestly, the internet is a funny place for these sorts of things, but there's no way it would bleed into real life, right?
So here we have some folks at the Straight Pride Rally (organized by actual factual fascists, some sort of Sons of Odin spinoff branch of the defunct Traditionalist Worker's Party) in Boston from i think 2 years back (Yes, that'd be a honkler costume)

Other guy's sort of dressed up as Pepe, with a 'free kekistan' shirt and a body pillow of Sargon of Akkad

This is from another meetup, protesting abortion with some other RWNJs, this is Joey Gibson of Patriot Prayer (far right nationalist group up in Portland)

I don't know if it was really profitable for their group, all I know is it gave us this picture

edit: in conclusion context matters for the use of the word 'fren', and you can probably tell if someone super racist is using it because the surrounding material will be bog standard white nationalist stupidity.

Sestze has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Apr 11, 2021

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Sestze posted:

You can plot most of the movement of alt-right memes as a response to public criticism.

Pepe/Wojack were the entry point, including some far-right dingbats trying to make knock-off children's books using the character, at which point the creator of pepe, Matt Furie, stepped in with lawsuits.
At that point it morphed into the Groyper, which is sort of a mixture of the A. Wyatt Mann caricature of a jew and pepe. No I don't understand why. This lasted up until about the time the Christchurch mass shooting event happened, which turned public attention towards 4chan, 8chan, and associated reddits.
With public opinion turning against most far right ethnonationalists (not there was much outspoken support to begin with), a lot of wingnats started embracing the Honkler meme, which is, as you guessed it, Pepe/Groyper in clown makeup. Sort of a doom-and-gloom point of view, specifically that Trump wasn't going to deliver the white ethnostate that was promised, and that a lot of the politicians the far right had embraced had ended up using them for their own purposes and discarding them. Unsurprisingly this is a mix between Hitler and, well, clowns.
This lasted up until many of the ethnonationalists came to the conclusion that self-branding as clowns was not having the desired effect, so many of them went back to groyper memes, but there was some of them that pretty much doubled down on the infantilism aspect of all of this, leading to frenworld. Fren is a sort of cutesy mispronunciation of "friend" that existed before incredibly stupid white nationalists got hold of it, but also stands for "Far Right EthnoNationalist" within those particular communities. The subreddit /r/frenworld was up for quite some time before it became kind of obvious that it was mostly daily stormer level critiques of society with a pastiche of baby talk sprinkled on top.

I think I stopped paying attention after that? Honestly, the internet is a funny place for these sorts of things, but there's no way it would bleed into real life, right?
So here we have some folks at the Straight Pride Rally (organized by actual factual fascists, some sort of Sons of Odin spinoff branch of the defunct Traditionalist Worker's Party) in Boston from i think 2 years back (Yes, that'd be a honkler costume)

Other guy's sort of dressed up as Pepe, with a 'free kekistan' shirt and a body pillow of Sargon of Akkad

This is from another meetup, protesting abortion with some other RWNJs, this is Joey Gibson of Patriot Prayer (far right nationalist group up in Portland)

I don't know if it was really profitable for their group, all I know is it gave us this picture

edit: in conclusion context matters for the use of the word 'fren', and you can probably tell if someone super racist is using it because the surrounding material will be bog standard white nationalist stupidity.

God I hate these loving dipshits

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Seeing the alt-right completely embrace clown getup was both hilarious and insulting to clowns.

Also Insane Clown Posse coming back around from "weird hip hop group that kinda like throwing around homophobic slurs like Faygo" to "embraced by the internet for their weirdness" is kind of :unsmith:.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I hate those guys and their bad frog

I am glad that I post on the forum with the good frog

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

flavor.flv posted:

:getin:

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Android Apocalypse posted:

homophobic slurs like Faygo

wait what I thought that was some kind of American pop they drank

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ghosthorse posted:

wait what I thought that was some kind of American pop they drank

i thought that too but then remembered they literally throw Faygo around at concerts and spray it at the audience and poo poo

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
To be fair I know pretty much nothing about that whole scene other than that one workaholics episode but that sucks if they're homophobic too. And something about axes. They like axes

e: here's a funny picture tax of the potato man

ghosthorse has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Apr 11, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

flavor.flv posted:

I miss that brief window between when that frog being just a silly drawing from a webcomic to being a symbol for a hate group. What simple times those were.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Felt good back then man

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh man, Y'all have MISSED OUT from not seeing the old yearly "GATHERING OF THE JUGGALOS" threads. BIG event. Imagine every trailer park in America disgorging it's contents and they all make a pilgrimage to one place for 3 days of debauchery. There was a pond on that property that people would swim in. By the end of the first day, there would already be floating dead fish.
A few years ago, they got kicked off that property and had to find a new location. I have no idea whatever happened with that, as the GOTJ threads sort of faded away, and it didn't get kept up with.

Considering we now have actual fascists, and Nazis running around, Juggalos don't seem so bad. One of the ICP members (Violent J?) is publicly supportive of his gay daughter(s?), as well as being publicly opposing fascism.
So, they aren't , like, completely terrible, (but are still terrible in other ways)

Faygo is a cheap soda company, I think based in Detroit? They do alot of flavored sodas, like orange, root beer, etc etc. It is popular because it is really loving cheap. More popular in the North, around Detroit and places like that, I think.

They would spray Faygo onto the crowd, but they would use Sugar-Free versions, so it doesn't get all sticky.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ghosthorse posted:

To be fair I know pretty much nothing about that whole scene other than that one workaholics episode but that sucks if they're homophobic too. And something about axes. They like axes

They used to be pretty homophobic, but they've completely turned around in recent years:
At the same time, we were also crazy homophobic back in the day. And now, my daughter says, “Dad, why did you say this?” And I say, “Because your dad was a loving fool.” I hate to blame Ice Cube, but we wanted to be like Ice Cube. We wanted to be like gangsta rap, and gangsta rap said it all the time.

I feel like getting a kid mellowed them out hardcore, even had a fursuit made so he can go with his daughter to cons.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

canyoneer posted:

After being cast as Samwise, Sean Astin asked if he could be considered for Aragorn. He said the casting director snorted laughing and said no. He also said that at the time he was cast he had just finished his degree in American literature, and had literally never heard of Lord of the Rings ("it's English!")

aragorn was originally a wooden legged hobbit called trotter, and sean astin would have fit well in that role

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ICP uses diet Faygo cuz it doesn't burn your eyes

you don't leave an ICP concert not sticky

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sestze posted:

Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

verbal enema posted:

ICP uses diet Faygo cuz it doesn't burn your eyes

you don't leave an ICP concert not sticky

I've been to an ICP concert, in 1997, and they did not use diet faygo, and I was blasted right in the eyes with a 2l stomped on by shaggy, it blew my glasses off into the pit. I was terminally sticky the whole drive home. I still have a stomped 2l bottle from that show in a box in the attic.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Gimli, not Sam. And he did audition.

He eventually got an audition for Gimli but he said in an interview that he sent several letters to Peter Jackson begging him to let him audition for Sam when the movie was first announced.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Jesse what the gently caress are you talking about?

It's a well written account of the alt-rights progression into more and more ridiculous symbolism and vocabulary. What the gently caress are you confused by?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've been to an ICP concert, in 1997, and they did not use diet faygo, and I was blasted right in the eyes with a 2l stomped on by shaggy, it blew my glasses off into the pit. I was terminally sticky the whole drive home. I still have a stomped 2l bottle from that show in a box in the attic.

ok my bad they use diet NOW but yeah u deffo caught some grape acid in the yes

also gently caress yeah a couple of my buddies have a few stomped on or launched 2L and 3L bottles still

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It's a well written account of the alt-rights progression into more and more ridiculous symbolism and vocabulary. What the gently caress are you confused by?

It's a joke. If you told that to a non-online person they'd have no idea what you're talking about and think you're crazy (which I know is the intent).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
For the record ICP has like huge bins of 2L bottles of faygo and they
Never
Stop
Spraying

they have drat near patented methods to fully shake open and spray the soda with one hand to the point it often sprays like 35 loving feet

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are there any non-online people left outside of like uncontacted tribes and luddite hermits?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Bodnoirbabe posted:

the people that squeeled about the alt right, made lists, and held inquisitions as bullies are worse than the alt right

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are there any non-online people left outside of like uncontacted tribes and luddite hermits?

You forgot the luckiest group of all: the dead!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

A man was allowed to see heaven and hell, and in both he saw people sitting around scrolling on their phones forever. The difference? The people in heaven were joyscrolling.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mnoba posted:

the people that squeeled about the alt right, made lists, and held inquisitions as bullies are worse than the alt right
On the other hand, why don't you curl into a ball and gently caress your own face

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Someone made a miniature based of the picture of Hitler that was outlawed because he was embarrassed about how he looked in shorts:

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be pro or anti Hitler based on the product description

quote:

Captured in a rare moment of respite, the Third Reich leader is enjoying an airy walk in his traditional Bavarian lederhosen. Made by King & Country, this 1/30 scale metal figure comes ready to display with striking hand-painted details. Measures approximately 1½" tall.

Pair him with a lederhosen-clad Himmler! (102498)

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

On the other hand, why don't you curl into a ball and gently caress your own face

the white noise tough guy poster, well you do you i suppose

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

verbal enema posted:

ok my bad they use diet NOW but yeah u deffo caught some grape acid in the yes

also gently caress yeah a couple of my buddies have a few stomped on or launched 2L and 3L bottles still

They also used these to blast faygo:

It was a great show but I kept having older mean meth juggalos trying to pull me from my spot against the rail (I showed up very early so I earned that spot), but I held on for dear life. Also got to shake both their hands!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

rodbeard posted:

Someone made a miniature based of the picture of Hitler that was outlawed because he was embarrassed about how he looked in shorts:

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be pro or anti Hitler based on the product description

I instantly heard "zey are comfy and eazy to wear!" in an exaggerated German accent and it really just brought it all together

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Mnoba posted:

the white noise tough guy poster, well you do you i suppose
Not a guy and not particularly tough, but I don't equivocate when it comes to white supremacists so why don't you do you by which again I mean loving your own face 😘

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mnoba posted:

:wrong:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LifeSunDeath posted:

They also used these to blast faygo:

It was a great show but I kept having older mean meth juggalos trying to pull me from my spot against the rail (I showed up very early so I earned that spot), but I held on for dear life. Also got to shake both their hands!

Rail spots are a blessing and a curse

I could get kicked or shake their hands!!!
Also
500 loving people are pressing my body against this rail holy gently caress i might die!!!

when i went to Hallowicked they had the Carny guys that jig around them loving blasting people directly in the face with those lmao

verbal enema has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Apr 11, 2021

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Not a guy and not particularly tough, but I don't equivocate when it comes to white supremacists so why don't you do you by which again I mean loving your own face 😘

ahh explaining your moral righteousness to people you don't think understand white supremacists equals bad, how very dull your life must be

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Mnoba posted:

ahh explaining your moral righteousness to people you don't think understand white supremacists equals bad, how very dull your life must be
:jerkbag: