Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ZearothK posted:

It also increases enemy levels by a value equal to the difference between your highest level character and the stage's (so if you play a level 10 mission with a level 20 Albus, all enemies will be +10 levels higher).

I would recommend sticking with the story missions, you can do the purple and blue ones later with a full party on challenge mode and they're much more fun with your own party instead of Albus, Sion and a bunch of cops.

One caveat : while Challenge Mode increases the levels of the enemies and the XP they give ; the loot of a given mission never improves. Ultimately doesn't really matter since the best gear is crafted anyway ; but all other things being equal if you find yourself lagging behind equipment-wise or hanging on to an outdated piece of gear, maybe do a purple mission of your max level or two - not only will enemies drop better gear for a similar time/effort investment, but loot crates on the map will too (and purple missions are the only ones to have the blue/grey crates that drop better_than_green loot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kobal2 posted:

Speaking of, if you do the quests from the merchants of Shooter Street : never ever pick the brown recipes as a reward, they're a giant trap. You can always buy them with said Valkyrie Coins immediately afterwards (and valkyrie coins have pretty much no other purpose AFAIK - they can also unlock additional mastery boards for your characters but you'll hardly ever need more than the 3 each comes with, IF that. You'll be drowning in them either way.).

So get the loot instead, especially if it's anywhere near Black Iron Anything ; Flame/Fire Anything or Anything Obsidian. Them three are the biggest crafting bottlenecks.

oh god

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Kobal2 posted:

One caveat : while Challenge Mode increases the levels of the enemies and the XP they give ; the loot of a given mission never improves. Ultimately doesn't really matter since the best gear is crafted anyway ; but all other things being equal if you find yourself lagging behind equipment-wise or hanging on to an outdated piece of gear, maybe do a purple mission of your max level or two - not only will enemies drop better gear for a similar time/effort investment, but loot crates on the map will too (and purple missions are the only ones to have the blue/grey crates that drop better_than_green loot)

Never play on anything lower than hard unless you are going for a specific thing.

You can get some nice stuff from the high level violent missions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Transient People posted:

I'll go right ahead and share some of my key builds then! Hopefully you find them useful :)

Also yeah, I like those builds!

I am afraid of touching my Albus because he has been very effective, but I might try your build for a more controlable version.

Mine has a similar core of Sword of Protection, Blade Phantom and Traces of Blood (which I feel are all essential), but mine is a Zerker variant, which I can just send off into spider hell and he'll sort that out. Rampage is a very strong effect, but it adds the Tough Spirit tax because unless he's sent off solo he can very easily kill a friendly. This has the extra effect of Rampage giving him an extra buff when Mutant procs. As usual with Greatswordsman, one wants to stack block on the guy.

My Irene on the other hand will either completely break the game or die while trying to do it. This is a solo build stacked with AT recovery and it is all about taking advantage of Hero, Wandering/Solitary Fighter, Best Condition and Joy of Burning to reach 0 AT. This is semi-random, because the number of fires created by her big blast attack is random, but she will still be very fast anyway as long as she takes initiative, her biggest threat is being swamped by +AT attacks if she fails to reach AT Nirvana, as she will be alone and everyone will be too far to help her. You do want +speed items on her (three piece Golden Leather Set is a good option). Anyways, I am on the market for a more team oriented Irene...

Going to be trying out those Heixing and Ray builds. I am curious about getting Grenadier to work and honestly all my post-game Heixing builds are lame and I feel he's the weakest character in my company despite being one of the strongest for most of the game (hell, he still has the 2nd highest average eliminations per mission, behind Giselle and before Albus).

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 9, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like I'm having trouble understanding this game's line of sight rules... specifically that it doesn't appear to have any. Sometimes I can shoot through walls and sometimes I can't? What exactly is the "combat preview" (I think they default key is v) supposed to be telling me? I got seriously addicted to WotC's target preview and apparently I can't live without it anymore.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's real awkward but before you move hit v then click on a skill you want to use and you can then mouse over a tile to see if you are in range with that skill.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Transient People posted:

I'll go right ahead and share some of my key builds then! Hopefully you find them useful :)

Can you give me what skills you use on Irene and weapon if possible? Build seems cool as heck but not sure what I should be shooting for

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

MotU posted:

Can you give me what skills you use on Irene and weapon if possible? Build seems cool as heck but not sure what I should be shooting for

That build is currently using the flying kick, her aoe move, and most importantly her move that denies blocking, which helps chew through tanky enemies. For a weapon, she's using the Golden Bangle. ESP is a lot more valuable on this build than Attack, so favor that if possible.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Transient People posted:

That build is currently using the flying kick, her aoe move, and most importantly her move that denies blocking, which helps chew through tanky enemies. For a weapon, she's using the Golden Bangle. ESP is a lot more valuable on this build than Attack, so favor that if possible.

Awesome I wasn't sure on ESP over attack because while everything is spelled out the game is like very dense/deep with stuff like that so I can never be too sure. Would she be using the whole Gold Bangle et? Sorry for so many questions :v:

MotU fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 10, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
So I just attempted the 39V mission and uhhh I assume the answer is EMP Grenades? I think I went into the building too early and those 5 boss Bicrons + Boss Drones all just swarmed the hell out of me

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's pretty much the best solution to most things machines, yes. The VHPD have some if you can keep them alive too.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Did the 43V case instead and wow jeez so much easier than Robots. I can tame something in the next Violent Case and use it even if I don't have Hunter Giselle, right?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've been interested in this game for awhile now but before I consider buying it I have to ask a question. Is the existing story content self contained or will the plot leave me twiddling my thumbs until new content comes out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ChrisBTY posted:

I've been interested in this game for awhile now but before I consider buying it I have to ask a question. Is the existing story content self contained or will the plot leave me twiddling my thumbs until new content comes out.

It's a very episodic and meandering story, like a season of a TV show or something. It does end a story arc, but there are still plenty of loose ends left for next season, including what you might consider the "main" story.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ChrisBTY posted:

The story is incredibly boring and dumb, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

grate deceiver posted:

The story is incredibly boring and dumb, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Personally I found the story pretty fun just because the game's world is unrepentantly stupid as hell.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's doing that thing that bad anime games do, when you see the characters talk about something, and then each individual character will repeat the same thing in their inner monologue, and then it will get repeated again, and 99% of the time it's some dumb mundane baby poo poo anyway about what kind of dumplings they like or w/e. And another annoying thing it does is it gives you control over characters in story missions way before you're supposed to care or know who they are, and it throws a lot of them at you. Sometimes it gives you control over the 'bad guys' for some reason? So what am I supposed to do now, should I be completing their objective, even though I'll be fighting against them in a minute?

I tried to keep up with it for the first couple of missions, but now I'm skipping through it and just enjoying the battles. It's anime superhero cop poo poo vs. 'criminals', who cares.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I thought being getting control over future companions 20 levels higher than you was a really cool feature. I was really excited to get Heixing after how much of a beast he was in his first mission and it lead to that great moment when he steals a car right in front of Albus and the player knows they can't do poo poo about it.

The story definitely gets stronger the farther in you get. The general goofiness helps when it turns unexpectedly serious and dark. The flashback to the white tigers massacring civilians to stop Silverlining and the mission in the present where they start going door to door killing anyone who resists while Irene is forced to call for backup instead of helping really took me by surprise.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 11, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The story definitely has goofy moments and I'd describe it as very anime, but if that's the thing you're into I'd say you'd be able to find enjoyment from it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I honestly didn't care much for the story until the last (pre-DLC) chapter where the whole thing started to make sense and now 10% of my brain is taken over by season 2 speculation and related :tinfoil:.

I also agree it was fun to play around with future party members and side characters in some missions, it was like having a preview of the future content, but I didn't care much for the missions where you play as some random troublemaker. Other than Jason, the real protagonist.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 11, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A little tip is to try to get all the achievements for extra story content.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
The story is excellent, idk what y'all are on

It benefits a lot from doing a second runthrough, because it's A) achronological, and B) asks you to fill in a lot of blanks because a lot of times it works by implication. The translation makes this harder than it should be, but even so it's fairly easy to dig deeper into it and have some :asoiaf: moments.

For example (MAJOR STORY SPOILERS) The moment you realize the leader of the Spoonists was actually the bodyguard to Bianca's grandfather, who infiltrated on his order and then went native and tried to save the cult with the info he had, you go HOLY poo poo. When you then take that info and play through the scene where John and Carter talk to each other, you suddenly realize why John trusted 'some random' -- 'Sharky' was actually the second of three leaders of the cult, and John is hoping that Carter will grow to take care of the flock just as Robert, the second Sharky, did, because he feels like he's not qualified to be a leader compared to Carter, Robert or Ramjist, and he knows the cult needs a wildcard at the helm who can do something Edward doesn't expect to stop them from getting massacred as part of his plans. There's a billion other moments like that sprinkled throughout the game and every single one is a massive dopamine rush as you piece together the full story of the Abandoned Children project. It's practically an extra game layer unto itself and it owns owns owns.

quote:

Awesome I wasn't sure on ESP over attack because while everything is spelled out the game is like very dense/deep with stuff like that so I can never be too sure. Would she be using the whole Gold Bangle et? Sorry for so many questions

You want to use 2 pieces of the Gold /Gloves/ set to get stun immunity (IIRC I used the gold molar charm and I think the wristguard?), because that saves a mastery slot and Irene can spare absolutely none of them as a battle mage, but yes. Between 3piece Light of Magic and 2piece Light of Martial Arts, she'll become extremely tanky and super consistent at dealing damage.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 11, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Transient People posted:

I guess it would be kinda cool, if all this was delivered via actually competent writing and interesting characters. Even after reading your spoiler I have no idea which of these names belong to which of the dozen nearly identical masked dudes. Carter is the Totally-Not-From-King-of-Fighters guy, right?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Having problems with the story makes sense but like the characters are the charming bit imo, saying the flaw lies with there seems a bit off to me

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah I love the characters. Practically everyone from the main characters to the random gang members are fun to read about.

Also Albus and Sion are totally dating and Irene is a lesbian.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I guess it would be kinda cool, if all this was delivered via actually competent writing and interesting characters. Even after reading your spoiler I have no idea which of these names belong to which of the dozen nearly identical masked dudes. Carter is the Totally-Not-From-King-of-Fighters guy, right?

Yes. I suggest replaying from the top and paying attention, honestly. 'I stopped caring and didn't try to follow things' is a user flaw, not a flaw in the story. The initial bits are fairly mundane, but they do some valuable setup, and the story truly grows with every single mission just like the gameplay and difficulty do, even the optional ones. I was fairly unimpressed early on as well, but sticking with it paid off big time because the developers' game became more and more apparent as they peeled back the curtain on the power games being played around the troubleshooting company.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Having problems with the story makes sense but like the characters are the charming bit imo, saying the flaw lies with there seems a bit off to me

Also this. If there's one piece of Troubleshooter's writing that is immediately and obviously good, it's how deeply it cares for every single person introduced. Nobody's presented as 'just' an rear end in a top hat or 'just' a criminal, everybody has loved ones and friends and reasons for what they do and the game takes its time to explore that. The level of attention to detail for everybody's stories, even the minor antagonists is super lovely. It's down to the point where their unique equips tell you stuff like how their comrades reacted to them getting a job promotion, even! I can't imagine looking at like, the first five missions, seeing how the leader dude among the cultists you're supposed to be fighting genuinely cares for the poor sods he's sending out to get their asses beaten, and not getting at least a little bit interested in what's going on. Most games can't even bother to do that much for their antagonists.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The moment when the loving animals get tragic backstories and dialogue choices was when I knew this was a special game.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I love the story personally, I just wish it was translated better and they had someone that could understand how to give each character their own voice

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Transient People posted:

For example (MAJOR STORY SPOILERS) The moment you realize the leader of the Spoonists was actually the bodyguard to Bianca's grandfather, who infiltrated on his order and then went native and tried to save the cult with the info he had, you go HOLY poo poo. When you then take that info and play through the scene where John and Carter talk to each other, you suddenly realize why John trusted 'some random' -- 'Sharky' was actually the second of three leaders of the cult, and John is hoping that Carter will grow to take care of the flock just as Robert, the second Sharky, did, because he feels like he's not qualified to be a leader compared to Carter, Robert or Ramjist, and he knows the cult needs a wildcard at the helm who can do something Edward doesn't expect to stop them from getting massacred as part of his plans. There's a billion other moments like that sprinkled throughout the game and every single one is a massive dopamine rush as you piece together the full story of the Abandoned Children project. It's practically an extra game layer unto itself and it owns owns owns.

My favorite implicit theory is that John is Sion's missing brother, Visha. Not only is their hair and build similar, but Visha is meant to be this awesome badass who disappeared off screen and Sion mentions Visha for the first time in the mission where John also shows up for the first time as the toughest enemy in the game thus far.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Yeah I love the characters. Practically everyone from the main characters to the random gang members are fun to read about.

I'm not sure about Albus but Sion definitely reads as gay, there's even some jokes about him dating guys. Irene might be as well but she's too dense to even think about that stuff tbh. IIRC theres a side mission where the jewelry girls ask her about dating and she has no clue what they're talking about. I suppose they were asking about her dating boys though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
irene looks like a cool punk but that isn't reflected at all in her personality.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nephthys posted:

I'm not sure about Albus but Sion definitely reads as gay, there's even some jokes about him dating guys. Irene might be as well but she's too dense to even think about that stuff tbh. IIRC theres a side mission where the jewelry girls ask her about dating and she has no clue what they're talking about. I suppose they were asking about her dating boys though.

Irene is definitely too dense for romance but her response to an attractive dude going around shirtless is "ew put on a shirt" with a disgusted face.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
She has a few lines about Giselle I remember giving some latent attraction vibes too, I feel like? I could be totally misremembering something though. But yeah too dense.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Transient People posted:

You want to use 2 pieces of the Gold /Gloves/ set to get stun immunity (IIRC I used the gold molar charm and I think the wristguard?), because that saves a mastery slot and Irene can spare absolutely none of them as a battle mage, but yes. Between 3piece Light of Magic and 2piece Light of Martial Arts, she'll become extremely tanky and super consistent at dealing damage.

What attacks of hers are classified as ESP besides the Fireball? you'd also only be able to use Uniform/Sneakers on her for Light of Martial Artist since the other set is Jacket/Boots which she can't wear. I figured her attacks were classified as Melee mostly so go 2 Light of Magic and 3 Light of Martial Artist but I could be wrong in what attack counts as what

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

The only thing Irene is dating is JUSTICE.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

The only thing Irene is dating is JUSTICE.

And relatedly the only thing Albus is dating is his goddamned work.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Transient People posted:

It benefits a lot from doing a second runthrough, because it's A) achronological, and B) asks you to fill in a lot of blanks because a lot of times it works by implication. The translation makes this harder than it should be, but even so it's fairly easy to dig deeper into it and have some :asoiaf: moments.

Oh thank you, I pieced that together but wasn't entirely sure I had it right, glad to see it confirmed.

Another spoiler question: Carter's deal with Edward: Carter's job was just doing the high-profile terrorist attacks, right? In order to stir up chaos and allow the Troubleshooters to swoop in and save everyone? It's when he kills Sharky 2 that he breaks with Edward.

Do we know what he asked for in the original deal with Edward?

I want to second the attention to detail given to the minor villains being a big asset. It's not Ulysses, of course, but I really appreciated the care given to the criminals our heroes spend the game sending to Arkham. It would have been easy to have Bad Guy Who Loves Crime, but instead we get the scene with Turk and Na-am's doomed BBQ cart, Berke covering for the underlings by giving bad news to the boss, and even the last stand of Caohong.

On party member chat, it's funny that the member of the all-female anarchist guerilla art collective is probably the most heterosexual woman on the team.

Also, I just completed the Yasha Queen mission I think I saw people discussing here, and yikes, poor Albus. Probably traumatized by standing in a doorway and slaughtering a few dozen newborn spiders (and getting a new AT record for me at like 600).

Going to steal that Grenadier build posted earlier, because my Alchemist Ray feels really anemic. Can deliver the heals and some AOE, but has no turn order/action point manipulation.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Is there any benefit to maxing out both of each characters advanced classes? I don't suppose any of the stuff like mastery slots carry over?

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Is there any benefit to maxing out both of each characters advanced classes? I don't suppose any of the stuff like mastery slots carry over?

If they share a class with someone else in the party you want to get that class maxed to grab those masteries. But apart from that just going far enough in to grab the action skills is usually enough if you're not going to use that particular class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I believe you also get a tiny bonus when fighting enemies who have that class. Although I can't say for sure if that requires you to be in the class or not.