Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Or if you do want more battery analogies, consider what might happen if you took a running car, pulled out the battery, and shorted together all the cables that were attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to get a half decent experience with the inbuilt wireless screen projection (via the connect quick action)? I get absolutely abysmal and inconsistent lag.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

For argument's sake (and so I understand it better) what would happen if I removed these bulging caps and literally just bridged them? Of course I'm not going to do that. I'm just curious.

It's probably burn a board trace out. It'll just fire some DC voltage through it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone managed to get a half decent experience with the inbuilt wireless screen projection (via the connect quick action)? I get absolutely abysmal and inconsistent lag.

I have, but it's highly dependent on the machine you're projecting from as well as what you're projecting to. Decent machine to decent machine can be, well, decent. I also picked up one of Microsoft's Wireless Display Adapters to project to, and in that case the machine doing the projecting is the main variable. It can certainly be a bit laggy, but from a decent machine I've found it tolerable.

When I tried projecting from my Mom's older Surface it was an absolute shitshow, though - it simply didn't have the horsepower to run and project at the same time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
We use the official windows wireless display adapter at work in multiple conference rooms, and we've found that they work great. Like....surprisingly so. This is across multiple different makes and models of laptops and surfaces.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

We use the official windows wireless display adapter at work in multiple conference rooms, and we've found that they work great. Like....surprisingly so. This is across multiple different makes and models of laptops and surfaces.

Do you mean miracast through this menu?

Maybe I just have really bad interference from somewhere, because it's essentially unusable for me. The older of the two machines is ~6 years old.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Do you mean miracast through this menu?

Maybe I just have really bad interference from somewhere, because it's essentially unusable for me. The older of the two machines is ~6 years old.

That's what I have used, and when it works well it's pretty good. I've mostly used it at home on my own pretty uncongested network, though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Same, an nf7-s is going to be my retro build board. What a trooper.

Those old nforce boards :allears: First boards that supported Dolby Digtal Live over SPDIF. I think it was called Soundstorm or something like that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt anyone cares but I figured I'd post a follow up, unfortunately replacing the bulging capacitors didn't fix his motherboard. In fact, with the bulging capacitors the computer would at least attempt to boot. After I replaced the caps I couldn't even get a video signal from the computer at all. So I managed to make it worse somehow haha

I definitely recommend the Hakko desolderer though. I didn't use it for the first two caps and it was a hellish nightmare. The other five came off like butter.

Just placed a bid on ebay for the identical motherboard. Looks like I am going to win it for like twenty five bucks. The model number is identical yet I noticed there's none of these caps on the board at all, so there appears to be a later revision or something with less sata ports and less lovely capacitors which is cool.

Replacing the motherboard is pretty much cheating at this point but it's still pretty fun to keep this dinosaur running. That's the one thing I always gave Microsoft a lot of credit for. Aside from the early release of Vista, Windows tends to work faster with newer releases. Unlike OSX which usually makes your computer run a little shittier with each OS update.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I doubt anyone cares but I figured I'd post a follow up, unfortunately replacing the bulging capacitors didn't fix his motherboard. In fact, with the bulging capacitors the computer would at least attempt to boot. After I replaced the caps I couldn't even get a video signal from the computer at all. So I managed to make it worse somehow haha

I definitely recommend the Hakko desolderer though. I didn't use it for the first two caps and it was a hellish nightmare. The other five came off like butter.

Just placed a bid on ebay for the identical motherboard. Looks like I am going to win it for like twenty five bucks. The model number is identical yet I noticed there's none of these caps on the board at all, so there appears to be a later revision or something with less sata ports and less lovely capacitors which is cool.

Replacing the motherboard is pretty much cheating at this point but it's still pretty fun to keep this dinosaur running. That's the one thing I always gave Microsoft a lot of credit for. Aside from the early release of Vista, Windows tends to work faster with newer releases. Unlike OSX which usually makes your computer run a little shittier with each OS update.

I had a PC running with an old dual core athlon 64 for years because I have a HP ScanJet 4c flatbed scanner from the mid 90s that uses SCSI. I couldn't seem to find a good PCI-E SCSI card or inexpensive SCSI adapter that would support the old SCSI interface better than the Adaptec AHA-2940AU I have in there. The caps were bad and it was a little power hungry so I eventually just found a sandy bridge board with a PCI slot on it as a replacement. It's running windows 7 32 bit to support the ancient HP software for the scanner but it works well. I'm debating a trial upgrade to windows 10 32 bit at some point, but I'll probably just image the disk first and revert if it doesn't handle the scsi card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I bet you checked this, but are the new caps in the correct orientation? They're polarized and can only go one way.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I bet you checked this, but are the new caps in the correct orientation? They're polarized and can only go one way.

Thanks a billion but yep I was aware. I'm guessing I might have fried something on the motherboard by leaving the soldering iron there too long. It was ridiculous pulling out the old caps before I got the desoldering iron so I probably just pulled on something on the motherboard too hard. Or this thing was just on its way out anyway. Thanks for checking though!

Rexxed posted:

I had a PC running with an old dual core athlon 64 for years because I have a HP ScanJet 4c flatbed scanner from the mid 90s that uses SCSI. I couldn't seem to find a good PCI-E SCSI card or inexpensive SCSI adapter that would support the old SCSI interface better than the Adaptec AHA-2940AU I have in there. The caps were bad and it was a little power hungry so I eventually just found a sandy bridge board with a PCI slot on it as a replacement. It's running windows 7 32 bit to support the ancient HP software for the scanner but it works well. I'm debating a trial upgrade to windows 10 32 bit at some point, but I'll probably just image the disk first and revert if it doesn't handle the scsi card.

It's funny you say that because this motherboard actually has a parallel port and floppy drive connector. I swear it runs Windows 10 absolutely fine for what he uses it for. I think I saw a video once on YouTube of someone running Windows 10 on a 133mhz PC.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had Windows 7 running on an old Athlon 64 x2 4800+ quite happily, but I had to turn off the game port in BIOS or it would show as an unrecognized device that was impossible to install.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rexxed posted:

You're aware you can get a vastly superior scanner by literally every metric for about $10, right?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Khablam posted:

You're aware you can get a vastly superior scanner by literally every metric for about $10, right?

True scanophiles know that SCSI scanners have a richer and more authentic output that just can't be matched by USB. :smug:

But yeah, I can't think of a compelling reason to not just pick up a modern scanner instead.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Khablam posted:

Oh yeah, I know it's antiquated but most legal sized scanners are a bit more expensive than that. I have a pile of multifunctions with 8.5x11 beds but none of them have a 14"+ bed. I mean, scanning has reached a point where most of it could be done with a cell phone app or one of those wand style ones that lets you compile the scanned stuff into one big image or whatever, but this is handy if you need to do legal. I'd probably EOL it or turn it into a musical instrument if my father didn't like to use it for "legal copies."

I'm pretty sure the floppotron's big guy on the left is the bottom of a scanjet 4c.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-X-p0C0Uas

This one is now a Keytar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PMEyZcB8Y

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Rexxed posted:

I’m doing the same thing you do, except I found a z97 mobo with an OG pci slot for my AHA-2940UW hooked to an ancient Epson hi-end(at the time it was like $2800) photo/negative scanner.

I have good news for you; Win10(as well as 8 & 8.1) works fine with the Adaptec 2930/40/40UW, both the 32bit and 64bit version of the OS. To get the 64bit OS to load the drivers, you need to disable driver signature enforcement on boot and point Device Manager at a folder with the three unzipped Adaptec driver files in it; after a series of dire warnings, it loads ‘em up and you’re good to go. If you need the drivers, they’re around on the ‘net or PM me and I’ll email ‘em to you, they’re tiny.

As far as the HP software goes, you might want to try Hamrick Vuescan, I found it to work pretty well on old scanners.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Oh yeah, I know it's antiquated but most legal sized scanners are a bit more expensive than that
New ones do indeed cost more, but I'm more suggesting something you find in a goodwill or thrown into a skip would be a better option at this point. At the point where you're choosing your computer and operating system around extremely cheap commodity tech, you should probably re-evaluate!
A comparable USB model is $25 or so on eBay.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JnnyThndrs posted:

As far as the HP software goes, you might want to try Hamrick Vuescan, I found it to work pretty well on old scanners.

Thanks for mentioning that, it actually seems to work with this scanner. I'll probably end up buying it next time the old man wants me to scan to pdf since the current workflow is scan to bmp then convert to pdf which is just a few more steps than I want to do when I scan something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Khablam posted:

New ones do indeed cost more, but I'm more suggesting something you find in a goodwill or thrown into a skip would be a better option at this point. At the point where you're choosing your computer and operating system around extremely cheap commodity tech, you should probably re-evaluate!
A comparable USB model is $25 or so on eBay.

Well it's the fourth PC on a side table that also does some security camera recording so it's not that big of a deal, but maybe I'll change what I'm doing with it eventually. I've had the thing for over 20 years at this point. My HP LJ 1022 printer won't die either and I think I bought that new in '03. I hate printers so I hope it lasts for a long time.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

redeyes posted:

That is a Microsoft gently caress up. I've seen it on 4 computers. What happened is the connected MS account got changed on the server side and the persons name is now EMAIL SERVICE. You can fix it by changing the name in the account itself.. and then disconnect the loving online login from win 10. What a stupid loving problem.

The rest.. no idea.

Goddamnit, I thought disabling the update service would prevent this from downloading again, but fffff, it came back this morning..

I don't know what to bloody well do. It wouldn't BE an issue, if the goddamn thing didn't break the loving internet in the process, locking me out from Safe Mode and other options.

How the gently caress can I fix or prevent this in a fast manner? It's a lovely older PC that I need to replace, but I don't have the time, money, or mental overhead to deal with all that right now.
It's costing me time and money as it is.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 14, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Goddamnit, I thought disabling the update service would prevent this from downloading again, but fffff, it came back this morning..

I don't know what to bloody well do. It wouldn't BE an issue, if the goddamn thing didn't break the loving internet in the process, locking me out from Safe Mode and other options.

People gave you the correct answer, you just didn't want to hear it because you were too fixated on avoiding applying Windows Updates, something people told you would be a problem.

Fame Douglas posted:

Update to the latest version using the Media Creation Tool under your supervision. Not updating the system is not an option, unless you want your gramps to have a virus-infected computer.

No clue what went wrong with the update, sounds very unusual.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Updating to the newest version is breaking the internet, and locking me out from doing anything.

So, the solution to " The newest update is loving everything up" is " update to the newest version"

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Updating to the newest version is breaking the internet, and locking me out from doing anything.

So, the solution to " The newest update is loving everything up" is " update to the newest version"

Have you tried updating with the media creation tool, or not?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds alot like doing Microsofts job for them. but hey, QA is a cost center, right?

And No, I haven't, because it was working at the time. I guesssss I'll figure out how to put it together.

Edit: anyone know, offhand, what the ID number is on that Feature pack update?

Edit2: Oh, I was thinking of this like " Using the Media creation tool to create a boot drive/disc, along with the updates needed installation" Like, how you used to could create OS install discs, with all the updates slipstreamed in.

But no, this is just " Get the MCT, and run it on that PC and let it update itself, as opposed to the automatic Windows update"

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 14, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What version of 10 is it? If it's pro you can disable updates via group policy. Another way, if you're on WiFi, is to set that network as "metered" which causes it to ask before downloading updates over said connection. Neither option is perfect but for getting updates to gently caress off on a short term basis they do work.

Can you even blacklist a specific update in 10?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
probably one of those lovely "Home" versions.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Disabling updates is a bad idea either way. Either reinstall or fix it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sounds alot like doing Microsofts job for them. but hey, QA is a cost center, right?

And No, I haven't, because it was working at the time. I guesssss I'll figure out how to put it together.

Edit: anyone know, offhand, what the ID number is on that Feature pack update?

Edit2: Oh, I was thinking of this like " Using the Media creation tool to create a boot drive/disc, along with the updates needed installation" Like, how you used to could create OS install discs, with all the updates slipstreamed in.

But no, this is just " Get the MCT, and run it on that PC and let it update itself, as opposed to the automatic Windows update"

You should get the MCT, create a USB drive and run the update from that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fame Douglas posted:

Disabling updates is a bad idea either way. Either reinstall or fix it.

You should get the MCT, create a USB drive and run the update from that.

Okay but where does the update come from? Would the MCT download the update using the computers DSL, or would I need to download the update and include it on the thumbdrive?

I don't know what updates the system needs, or which one is actually breaking it.

And when googling around trying to figure this out, maybe MS shouldn't be pushing out updates so quickly, seems just about every one causes alot of people trouble.
But again, QA is a cost center lol

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay but where does the update come from? Would the MCT download the update using the computers DSL, or would I need to download the update and include it on the thumbdrive?

I don't know what updates the system needs, or which one is actually breaking it.

And when googling around trying to figure this out, maybe MS shouldn't be pushing out updates so quickly, seems just about every one causes alot of people trouble.

Did you try making his login a local account, instead of an MS account, before upgrading?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

astral posted:

Did you try making his login a local account, instead of an MS account, before upgrading?

When? It was a Win7 machine initially, and it upgraded itself, long time ago.

As Redeye said, they saw this issue, on other machines, with the update MAKING it an MS account.

As far as I am aware, it IS a local account, except when MS fucks poo poo up.

I haven't been back over there.

So, No, I haven't tried making it a local account.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

You download the MCT, let it download the Windows installer to a thumb drive. That thumb drive you stick into your parental PC and run the updater/installer from the drive.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of updates, I got my friend's PC back up and running (replacement motherboard came yesterday) and I cannot for the life of me run an update on this thing.

I run Windows Update and it says he hasn't updated since October. So I check for updates, it downloads it, and begins to install it. Every single time it gets to 100% or whatever and the update fails with error code 0x800f0831.

I've tried every solution I see on Google. I manually downloaded the update using Update Assistant and it says "thank you for updating to the latest version" even though it's not.

I tried all the fun DISM repair commands and all that, still no dice. Anyone have any other ideas of what I could try? He's going to be stuck on an outdated version of Windows 10 forever if I don't figure this out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

You can do both, run it from a thumb drive or run it locally.

Fame Douglas posted:

You download the MCT, let it download the Windows installer to a thumb drive. That thumb drive you stick into your parental PC and run the updater/installer from the drive.

Can be run on the machine itself without the thumb drive as well. Fixes a lot of update problems.

Speaking of updates, I got my friend's PC back up and running (replacement motherboard came yesterday) and I cannot for the life of me run an update on this thing.

I run Windows Update and it says he hasn't updated since October. So I check for updates, it downloads it, and begins to install it. Every single time it gets to 100% or whatever and the update fails with error code 0x800f0831.

I've tried every solution I see on Google. I manually downloaded the update using Update Assistant and it says "thank you for updating to the latest version" even though it's not.

I tried all the fun DISM repair commands and all that, still no dice. Anyone have any other ideas of what I could try? He's going to be stuck on an outdated version of Windows 10 forever if I don't figure this out.

Have you tried the media creation tool mentioned above? See if that tells you you have the latest version.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

When? It was a Win7 machine initially, and it upgraded itself, long time ago.

As Redeye said, they saw this issue, on other machines, with the update MAKING it an MS account.

As far as I am aware, it IS a local account, except when MS fucks poo poo up.

I haven't been back over there.

So, No, I haven't tried making it a local account.

redeyes' post described a situation where an already-connected MS account was changed. It sounds like you should check if it is, in fact, an already-connected MS account - something that may have happened in between the long-time-ago upgrade and now, as MS pushes them very aggressively.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's not like this system was suddenly connected to the internet. It's been getting updates all this time.

MS hosed up their poo poo, don't QA their own stuff. It broke poo poo, so now I got to do their job for them

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not like this system was suddenly connected to the internet. It's been getting updates all this time.

MS hosed up their poo poo, don't QA their own stuff. It broke poo poo, so now I got to do their job for them

Yes, we get it. Welcome to the modern world. None of us greatly enjoy it. It has its pros and cons, what you're describing is a con.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

Have you tried the media creation tool mentioned above? See if that tells you you have the latest version.

I'm gonna have to wipe out a thumb drive for that? That's honestly a huge inconvenience but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Once I create the thumb drive, how do I go about attempting to install an update from it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm gonna have to wipe out a thumb drive for that? That's honestly a huge inconvenience but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Once I create the thumb drive, how do I go about attempting to install an update from it?

You do not need to put it on a thumb drive. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you. Just so I know I got this right, I am "upgrading" even though I am not really upgrading?