Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and then they bought that cruise ship and were like "we can just park it in Panama's waters and declare it an island, Panama won't mind!" and Panama was like "Actually we do, in fact, mind, here is the set of regulations you need to comply with and the insurance you need to have to do that safely." To which they replied with an incredibly whiny letter declaring "Oh no loving statists have ruined us!!! :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

they're not wrong - humanity needs another planet because assholes like them are going to do nothing to stop the destruction of this one. we, as a species, are incapable of saving our own asses. we have the worst global pandemic in a century and the usa is more worried about moderna and pfizer profit numbers than they are opening up patents so the world can get over this plague.

the earth is hosed because of humans, and after we kill nearly everything on land and oceans it'll take a few million years for the cephalopods and crabs to take over all the land niches once held by vertebrates. the need for another planet for the human species to survive is 100% correct.

they're wrong about thinking that anyone is getting us off of this rock let along an idiot like musk. we're dying on this rock.

I don't disagree that we're going to gently caress this planet, because we clearly are, but the fact remains that there's nothing else in our solar system even remotely close. Even after a full scale nuclear war or completely rampant climate change Earth will STILL be more habitable than anywhere else in the solar system. We still don't even have a tiny fraction of understanding of how complicated our ecosphere is, from planet-scale weather systems down to soil microbes. Literally everything on the planet across several orders of magnitude in scale and diversity is integral to our healthy survival, it's just too complicated for our limited brains to comprehend let along kick-start on another fundamentally different planet.

Real life isn't sci-fi, it may never be possible for humans to survive long-term away from our planet without constant contact and re-supply, but even if it does become possible it sure as gently caress isn't going to happen in my lifetime. Much greater odds that humanity dies out a long time before we understand enough about our own ecosystem to recreate it anywhere else (we're definitely destroying it faster than we understand it, which makes this a certainty IMO).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The first iteration of Biosphere II was taken over by invasive ant species that snuck in so I'd imagine any sort of attempt at a self-sustaining space habitat or terraforming or whatever would prolly end the same way, though with like a weird toxic lichen or slime mold taking over instead.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We inherited a working biosphere and are actively destroying it to the point where it may not be able to support human life while simultaneously driving extinct hundreds or thousands of species that we haven't even catalogued yet and without even a thorough understanding of all of its mechanisms of operation. What makes anyone think we're scientifically or culturally capable of creating and maintaining a similar environment that we designed ourselves from scratch?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

We inherited a working biosphere and are actively destroying it to the point where it may not be able to support human life while simultaneously driving extinct hundreds or thousands of species that we haven't even catalogued yet and without even a thorough understanding of all of its mechanisms of operation. What makes anyone think we're scientifically or culturally capable of creating and maintaining a similar environment that we designed ourselves from scratch?

An environment we design from scratch won't have pesky poor people in it so our brilliant rich people brains can focus on solving all those problems instead of solving the petty annoyances of "keeping the poor people from eating us"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sure Amazon pushes their warehouse workers so hard that they have to piss themselves, but have you considered that they have the lowest prices??? hmmm???

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

so you will simply always go wherever the price is the lowest, 100% regardless of that company's policies?

I mean part of the reason they are the cheapest has to do with how they treat their employees. And things like "prime shipping" only exist because they continue to exert more and more pressure on them.

I think people should boycott Amazon, but Americans buy a ton of poo poo every year they don't need, so I think people need to be shopping a lot less in general.

In theory I agree with you, and my bank salesman basically didn't believe my budget because I'm not spending my money on crap. But the average person is gonna buy crap, and she's gonna buy it as cheap as possible. It sucks hard as balls, and you should definitely think about it and try to avoid supporting evil crap, but no one is that principled, and the average person sure as hell ain't. I have forced myself to remember that chocolate is made by literal child slaves when I get it, and yet I still buy it and eat it because I'm bored. People are crap. This is why we need collective action, both in terms of unions and government regulation.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Shame Boy posted:

The first iteration of Biosphere II was taken over by invasive ant species that snuck in so I'd imagine any sort of attempt at a self-sustaining space habitat or terraforming or whatever would prolly end the same way, though with like a weird toxic lichen or slime mold taking over instead.

Was this before or after they had to evacuate because the concrete curing absorbed more oxygen than the plants inside could produce?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kraken! posted:

Was this before or after they had to evacuate because the concrete curing absorbed more oxygen than the plants inside could produce?

It was almost immediately after they sealed the thing at the start, so well before that. The ants took over and were a constant problem the entire time.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

actionjackson posted:

sure Amazon pushes their warehouse workers so hard that they have to piss themselves, but have you considered that they have the lowest prices??? hmmm???

"But I really need a new TV and it's not like one person can make a difference anyway. And it's not like I can really afford it, I guess I'll make an exception just this once."

Also the American warehouse workers are probably not the ones getting the worst deal in the Amazon supply chain.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My favorite fact about Biosphere II is that in later missions they eventually ironed out all the issues and got it to a pretty good state of more or less self-sustainability and the thing that ultimately killed it (in its original form, anyway) was loving Steve Bannon, who I'm pretty sure did it just out of spite.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If we accidentally facilitate ants colonising Mars, then our species will have justified its existence. Who knows, maybe Elon Musk has a parasitic ant queen controlling him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

If we accidentally facilitate ants colonising Mars, then our species will have justified its existence. Who knows, maybe Elon Musk has a parasitic ant queen controlling him

That would explain his desire to build a network of tunnels :thunk:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Failed Imagineer posted:

ants are clearly the superior species. we should sent ant colonies on every space probe there is, that way they can eventually evolve into Alien-esque monsters

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

knowing musk he would assume everyone could live off rice and beans and they would all fart themselves to death

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

actionjackson posted:

BonHair posted:

"But I really need a new TV and it's not like one person can make a difference anyway. And it's not like I can really afford it, I guess I'll make an exception just this once."

Also the American warehouse workers are probably not the ones getting the worst deal in the Amazon supply chain.

lol. working backwards from Amazon, are any of the other employees in the supply chain treated well? do you believe the people harvesting the grains or mining the raw materials are treated well and the oppression begins in Bezos’ warehouses? if you think you’re making some admirable moral stand by buying from companies that exploit their workers .3% less you’re rubes. good for you if you can afford to spend extra on necessities or the rare leisure purchase but you’re not better than anyone else

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

lol. working backwards from Amazon, are any of the other employees in the supply chain treated well? do you believe the people harvesting the grains or mining the raw materials are treated well and the oppression begins in Bezos’ warehouses? if you think you’re making some admirable moral stand by buying from companies that exploit their workers .3% less you’re rubes. good for you if you can afford to spend extra on necessities or the rare leisure purchase but you’re not better than anyone else

yeah i guess theres no point in trying to be an ethical consumer at all and i should just dump all my money into the amazon blood factories because theyve got the cheapest blood and im a working man on a budget.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Muscle Wizard posted:

yeah i guess theres no point in trying to be an ethical consumer at all and i should just dump all my money into the amazon blood factories because theyve got the cheapest blood and im a working man on a budget.

Could you point me to the non blood factories

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Muscle Wizard posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

The Oldest Man posted:

bizarre defense of amazon

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
jeff bezos is really bad, like probably one of the worst technical humans alive. but his prices are the cheapest so im gonna keep giving him money. im a leftist.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

remember what sonic the hedgehog says,

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

jetz0r posted:

remember what sonic the hedgehog says,

im sure this meme image from 2013 tumblr makes u feel much better about having no actual leftist values and thats what matters lol

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
do u have any about how shoplifting cosmetics from alta is actually praxis

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

One weird trick to end capitalism by become an ethical consumer

Bezos hates it!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

vote with your wallet! that always stops monopolies

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

bizarre defense of amazon

bizarre defense of participating in capitalism yet claiming moral superiority over those who also participate in capitalism in an entirely indistinguishable way

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tell me how do I avoid the amazon part of the internet?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

l actual leftist values

it’s me I give people poo poo for buying what they can afford. that’s actual leftist values

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
you are justifying not giving up a small amount of comfort so that you can keep paying what is likely the worst corporation in the entire world and keep their business running.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
you are not a leftist.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

you are not a leftist.

are you a teenager

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

likely the worst corporation in the entire world

lol you’re a fuckin genius mate

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
itd be one thing to say something like 'i literally have no economically feasible way to keep my house pay bills etc without relying on cheap amazon goods and services' but you want to have your cake and eat it too. its just impossible! just have to keep getting these good deals cuz its all immoral anyways right?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Muscle Wizard posted:

you are not a leftist.

-wizard, muscle. something awful “cspam” forums. 2021.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao have you ever heard of mining companies dude? Or oil companies or commerical fishing or any resource extraction whatsoever? Do to buy ethical gasoline from special gas stations?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve never seen a take that Amazon is the worst corporation in the world this is truly wild

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We should use this guy's leftist detector to out all the feds on twitter

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

do you know how much of the internet runs on AWS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

lol you’re a fuckin genius mate

amazons really really bad and youre still going to give them money so u dont lose a tiny amount of convenience in your life. you suck.