Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

sean10mm posted:

I think I found the problem, at least for me: I had turned off steam overlay. I turned it on, loaded an old save and completed the commie vision quest and got the achievement. Unfortunately this doesn't retroactively give you achievements for your save's stats. Like all the times I said commie stuff and I AM THE LAW.

I already have overlay on and can't get this one to pop. I wonder if there's a hidden stat check or something involved, or this save is just broken.

e: nvm looks like I have to pass all the dialogue checks and exhaust all the dialogue with Steban.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Killing myself to prove a point is such a cool feature.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Proletarian Mango posted:

Killing myself to prove a point is such a cool feature.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Huh, just ran into a soft-lock on the PC version, in the church while unmuting Soona's speakers. The animation started but just got stuck zoomed out with all the characters looking around nervously.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Wafflecopper posted:

Huh, just ran into a soft-lock on the PC version, in the church while unmuting Soona's speakers. The animation started but just got stuck zoomed out with all the characters looking around nervously.

Change your UI size in settings, then reload your latest save and try again. Also try leaving the building and going back in after some time has passed.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

ShakeZula posted:

I think I'm getting close to the endgame (current task is to ask about Ruby in the fishing village), which is making the two progression bugs I'm dealing with all the more frustrating: game freezing when I climb to the top of the monument, and the sandcastle not being interactive.

You can climb to the top of the monument!?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Eeee thanks for that

But yeah, can we get this added to the OP, cause goddamn it's so good

I'm still surprised something I found on an absolute whim ended up so impactful.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
1.3 is already out on PS4

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

The way I got past this was to quickly navigate through that conversation using only keyboard navigation. Touching the mouse or letting the conversation play out at "normal" speed seemed to cause the trigger to fail to fire.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I just beat this for the first time and I feel like half of its commentary went over my head, while a lot of the more direct stuff landed way too dead center. I feel like a lot of it was due to me having trouble keeping track of a few of the in game names of places/events but that's more of a me problem than a mark against it in anyway.

Very, very interesting and bizarre game that I apparently missed quite a bit of just due to how I played it. Is it actually different enough replaying that it warrants a second go around? There's so much dialogue I can easily see certain parts being wildly different if you have different skills or talk to people in a different order, but obviously no idea how much so.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Hey so quick question, with DE banned in Australia, can I:

A) Deal with it, buy it on steam and play it on my Couch with a PS controller (if possible)
B) Wait for them to make changes and resubmit to the government and then buy on the PS store

It basically boils down to me wanting to sit on my couch.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Overlord K posted:

Very, very interesting and bizarre game that I apparently missed quite a bit of just due to how I played it. Is it actually different enough replaying that it warrants a second go around?

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

A) Deal with it, buy it on steam and play it on my Couch with a PS controller (if possible)
B) Wait for them to make changes and resubmit to the government and then buy on the PS store

It basically boils down to me wanting to sit on my couch.

I can't see them censoring the game to appease the AUS ratings board, it would require some fairly significant script changes and new voice acting to pull off smoothly

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I saw someone mention that Disco Elysium is Planescape Torment but written by more insane people, and I would like confirmation because I will immediately purchase it if this is the case thank you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Andrew_1985 posted:

What?! Why?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Randarkman posted:

What?! Why?

Drugs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I saw someone mention that Disco Elysium is Planescape Torment but written by more insane people, and I would like confirmation because I will immediately purchase it if this is the case thank you.

It is most definitely the case, but also even better :tipshat:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pretty much but it has 0 combat gameplay (but combat in Torment was bad even for the time.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

They have almost no similarities besides being incredibly story driven and incredibly good.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Disco Elysium is Planescape Torment meets Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas but with more drugs and not-poo poo politics (you should also do more drugs regardless of your political ideology[ies] also!!)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

They have almost no similarities besides being incredibly story driven and incredibly good.

That's not true. There's alot of difference, especially in the framing device. Also you're an amnesiac, but the person your character was and what they did in the past is integral to the story instead of the main character being a blank slate.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also you know, visual perspective, UI, and a host of things it shares with RPGs in general. A bunch of ideologies being offered to you to accept or sneer at. Though I forget if you could really try and join any of the factions in Torment, you can at least as a player either nod or laugh.

As well as the feel of exploring a weird land that is only halfway familiar (if one assumes Planescape Torment was mostly played by people who knew D&D but were not Planescape fans before).

In short, people say it is like Planescape Torment because if they played P:T when it came out, the initial experiences are very similar.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Vagabong posted:

You can climb to the top of the monument!?
Really? And there's a sandcastle?

I have so many more playthroughs, it seems

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tylana posted:

Also you know, visual perspective, UI, and a host of things it shares with RPGs in general. A bunch of ideologies being offered to you to accept or sneer at. Though I forget if you could really try and join any of the factions in Torment, you can at least as a player either nod or laugh.

You could ! IIRC could opt to become a Sensate (I think you kinda have to at one point in the story), an Anarch, a Dustman, a Godsman or a Xaositect. In each case you could decide whether you were in it for real, or as a lie just to get access to their members-only stuff.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Nobody cares, but this game actually got uncomfortable on my previous playthrough, as a guy in his early 40's, a do-gooder at his core, but corrupted by the pressures of relationship and Id and a desired fondness of the recklessness of drinking and the occasional line etc

It kind of hits in a way I absolutely did not expect, because I kind of lived that hobocop life for a few years, and unexpectedly reliving that part of my life through a game has been a true mindfuck.

e: I've never experienced a game, or movie, and rarely a book, that *gets* the *feeling* of being. a middle-aged hopeless drunkard with a penchant for the nervous system stimuli

I am convinced the ZA/UM people, at least the two buddy principal writers, have lived this, like me

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 12, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I believe at least one of them has struggled with alcoholism IIRC

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I believe at least one of them has struggled with alcoholism IIRC

this quote from the devs really speaks to me

quote:

"I remember going to the door to let him in," Rostov says. "He looked me dead in the eye and said, 'My friend, we failed at so many things. Let us also fail at making a video game.'"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wow, they really failed at failing at making a video game.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Yeah I *feel* so many things with this game, and that's why I think it's so great: It feels lived. Like no other vidja gaym, everything about this is so *real*

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well they belatedly did with the playstation version anyway. Call it mission accomplished

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game design red check: 21 Impossible

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lt. Lizard posted:

lmao they can't loving do anything right

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Ha, I managed to get a "game over" by contacting the airship and getting extracted by the committee

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ShakeZula posted:

Ha, I managed to get a "game over" by contacting the airship and getting extracted by the committee

Give me details

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The patch seems to have really improved the PS4 experience a lot. Looking forward to starting over tonight since this morning I died because I failed at punching a literal child

Perhaps rolling with 1 FYS was a bad idea

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GlyphGryph posted:

Give me details

If you have Soona help you contact the Committee de la Responsibilite, she basically turns the roundabout monument into a big antenna so you can contact the airship. If you pass the Empathy check, the person you're talking to takes down your statement, and if you tell them about the entropic anomaly they get very concerned and dispatch a Committee airship to pick you up. At that point you can choose to board the airship or not, but I did and it brought up the newspaper (just like if you die of a heart attack at the start of the game) It ruled.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

The patch seems to have really improved the PS4 experience a lot. Looking forward to starting over tonight since this morning I died because I failed at punching a literal child

Perhaps rolling with 1 FYS was a bad idea

Yeah it fixed the major bugs that I was experiencing and seems to have improved the load times as well! I was finally able to actually finish the game, which wasn't happening before

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Is this all new stuff? I don't recall any context where this sequence if events makes sense, but maybe its new stuff! Either way its got me excited to play more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

GlyphGryph posted:

Is this all new stuff? I don't recall any context where this sequence if events makes sense, but maybe its new stuff! Either way its got me excited to play more

Probably part of the new Moralism quest, I'd guess?