Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Acerbatus posted:

That sounds like a tremendously boring podcast since most of the time you wouldn't have much to talk about...

They’re doing it week by week rather than daily so that hypothetically spreads out the action a bit, plus they’re both playing on their own so there might be interesting things depending on the schedules each of them keep

I imagine they have a rough idea of which weeks are gonna be more or less interesting, they might bring in guests to talk about P5 for the weeks that are lighter on content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah exam weeks are still gonna be ridiculously short but if they're doing the whole week at least they'll have something to cap it off like the fireworks festival.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DC Murderverse posted:

They’re doing it week by week rather than daily so that hypothetically spreads out the action a bit, plus they’re both playing on their own so there might be interesting things depending on the schedules each of them keep

I imagine they have a rough idea of which weeks are gonna be more or less interesting, they might bring in guests to talk about P5 for the weeks that are lighter on content

Still doesn't seem like much to talk about, Palaces aren't exactly multi-week affairs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They are if you're bad.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Man, Shadow Kanji is kicking my arse in P4 Golden. It was 2014 when I last played it but I don't remember him being this much of a roadblock, that multi hit melee attack he does just absolutely shreds Chie and Yukiko while they're enraged, once one person goes down it's just playing catchup until eventually I lose. Maybe I just need to go back down a few floors and kill a few more enemies, level up a bit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Man, Shadow Kanji is kicking my arse in P4 Golden. It was 2014 when I last played it but I don't remember him being this much of a roadblock, that multi hit melee attack he does just absolutely shreds Chie and Yukiko while they're enraged, once one person goes down it's just playing catchup until eventually I lose. Maybe I just need to go back down a few floors and kill a few more enemies, level up a bit.

What level are you?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Not at my PC right now but 20 or 21 I think? Didn't have much trouble climbing the floors and I'd listened to an entire podcast on the way so I felt like that should be good. It has been years like I said though. I probably do need to just grind a bit right?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Not at my PC right now but 20 or 21 I think? Didn't have much trouble climbing the floors and I'd listened to an entire podcast on the way so I felt like that should be good. It has been years like I said though. I probably do need to just grind a bit right?

You would probably want to get to 23 at a minimum though I aimed for 25 when I beat him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not sure about this new school, y'all

Also I noticed what was under the school ID this time around, I guess even before Royal it rewarded a replay

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That bit was added in Royal, actually (though it originally came from the anime)

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
edit: P5 Strikers spoilers below, thus spoiler tags

Can’t believe they did Sophie’s true awakening in Strikers and didn’t have it say “I am thou, thou art AI”.
I do love how her ”persona” is initially an object, and even when she fully realised her ego, Pandora is still most associated with the box - but is a person.

Is that a parallel to Aigis? Palladion, her initial persona, is an object, and progresses I to the person Athena when Aigis conceives of herself as a person.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 11, 2021

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Isn't that the same with Futaba too? Not sure her deal is the same.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lunar Suite posted:

Can’t believe they did Sophie’s true awakening in Strikers and didn’t have it say “I am thou, thou art AI”.
I do love how her ”persona” is initially an object, and even when she fully realised her ego, Pandora is still most associated with the box - but is a person.

Is that a parallel to Aigis? Palladion, her initial persona, is an object, and progresses I to the person Athena when Aigis conceives of herself as a person.

Could you warn people for P5S spoilers? I’m playing through that game rn and while I sort of figured something like this would happen it sort of hit me out of nowhere since this isn’t the Strikers thread

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My best friend loved Persona 5R so much he beat the game in a month, and just started a NG+.

I asked him if he thinks he may burn out and his response was “I failed to max out Ryuji’s confidant (wtf :psyduck:) and need to atone for my sins”

I told him he should check out P4G but he hates playing games on PC. :(

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I use PS Remote Play to play P5R on my PC because my room has AC and my gaming chair is more comfortable than my couch.

Strikers being on PC makes it likely that will be my next game after this.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 11, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Today I get to find my way to the Ginza line :woop:

Edit: :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 11, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is Naoto a boy's name in Japan, or is it unisex and Naoto was just presenting as a dude?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

According to Wikipedia's categorization of the name (as well as every other time I've ever seen the name), it's straight-up a boy's name.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

No idea about real life, but Naoto's shadow makes a remark about it being "a cool and manly name." However there's apparently a companion book that says her parents felt it was "fairly androgynous."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally beat Persona 5 Royal proper. Took me 140 damned hours. Not counting the time I dumped into the original version. Still, that added on palace was real good and all in all it was a great time. Like I said before, the highs were high, the lows were low, middles were creamy, and overall I am glad I managed to push myself to finally beat this fat bear of a game.

So of course I immediately jumped into Persona 5 Strikers :v:

Just some misc thoughts, up to infiltrating the first Jail proper:

- Combat seems cool so far.
- The nostaligia angle would have hit much better if...well, I hadn't literally just beat the previous game yesterday.
- Oh come on I know they were made at the same time by separate teams but couldn't they get some of the Royal character portraits at least?
- As someone who doesn't really care about the robot characters such as Aegis, Sophia is adorable.
- Some of these line readings are amazing:

:shepicide: "Send it back"
"What?"
:cry: "SEND THE EFFIN THING BACK!!"

EDIT: One more thing

-Seeing Yongen Jaya in 60 FPS and no anti aliasing is weird

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 12, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Lunar Suite posted:

edit: P5 Strikers spoilers below, thus spoiler tags

I love when the Ark of the Covenant shows up and it becomes an epic battle of box versus box.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So it's a boxing match?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sophia's character arc is learning to think outside the box.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

So it's a boxing match?

No, that’s the final boss of Royal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also of note today: first time having Sojiro's curry

I made some Leblanc Curry as part of wrapping up Persona 5 Strikers, so I had some leftovers (it's better the next day)

Also coincidentally enough, this was what Google Photos told me I ate 4 years ago... I wonder if the original game also inspired me to do it lol

Someone on Discord recommended that I also try to do whatever food is discussed on the given day... (Merciless difficulty: I can only make curry items in game if I make them in real life lol... a burger for every challenge?)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 12, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone on Discord recommended that I also try to do whatever food is discussed on the given day... (Merciless difficulty: I can only make curry items in game if I make them in real life lol... a burger for every challenge?)

As long as you don't try to replicate those challenge burgers then you should be fine.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Friendly reminder that Sae gives zero shits when one of Makoto's teachers is outed as a serial sexual abuser, and when Joker tells her Kaneshiro almost forced her into sex trafficking. :)2

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

Friendly reminder that Sae gives zero shits when one of Makoto's teachers is outed as a serial sexual abuser, and when Joker tells her Kaneshiro almost forced her into sex trafficking. :)2

Anything in particular that prompted said take?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Anything in particular that prompted said take?

P5's writing is shoddy as hell, what else is new?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sae is a terrible person, this is not some new revelation.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Devil's advocate, presumably the interrogation was supposed to take place over a couple of hours, not 90, so she didn't have time to worry about what had happened months ago when she was in that much of a time crunch.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I do really like the idea that all the gameplay is being told over 90 hours of police interrogation. Joker just really wants to talk about every time he exploited enemy weaknesses, and how cool his cat said he was for about a third of them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, Joker was looking cool.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ACAB and that includes lawyer cops like Sae

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DC Murderverse posted:

ACAB and that includes lawyer cops like Sae

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, Sae definitely cares when she learns that Makoto was involved with some of this--it's one of the only times she loses her composure during the interrogation--but she also buckles down and focuses on the job at hand because at that point she's so focused on catching the Phantom Thieves and not losing her job that she has a whole Palace about it.

She also makes a good choice by the end: of the two Niijima sisters, Sae's the one who decides to stop being a cop.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

They should make a game where Sae goes around and defends police officers who have been thrown under the bus by their colleagues or superiors and at the end of each one the officer goes “well I’ve learned my lesson: no one should be a cop because they’re all so loving corrupt”

Sae Nijima: Ace Attorney. And Joker can show up as her Maya Fey, a teenage assistant with supernatural abilities.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Ok I just made that post to poo poo on cops initially but I have a question about the logistics of the interrogation:

All of the little cut-back scenes when you get a new confidant follow a pattern of Sae saying “hm you couldn’t have done this alone, you must have had help with *Thing*, who is helping you!?” and then the I Am Thou, Thou Art I stuff, but it’s implied that Joker doesn’t name names because he knows you don’t say a word without a lawyer present. (This leads to a potential bad ending at the one opportunity they give you to actually rat.)

But there’s a scene during the Kaneshiro arc where it cuts back to Sae and she’s clearly responding to you mentioning the Student Council President of Shujin Academy, which means that Joker has just implied that Makoto is working with him. And obviously Sae knows at the very least that all of the phantom thieves are working with Joker in some capacity because there’s enough hints in his story to make it pretty clear, even if she can’t be sure that they engaged in actual phantom thievery

So my question is: what’s the point of asking Joker to name names when basically all of them should be obvious to Sae?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 12, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

4/12 update: oh hey, new content!

The challenge now is managing time to fit these into weekdays even if I am busy with other things

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, for Persona 5 Strikers, I am liking it so far but it feels like if you do not have personas or party members lined up that can easily take advantage of weaknesses for a tough battle, you are kinda screwed. Is there an ability to switch out members mid battle eventually?

Also, Haru says gently caress the police

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So, for Persona 5 Strikers, I am liking it so far but it feels like if you do not have personas or party members lined up that can easily take advantage of weaknesses for a tough battle, you are kinda screwed. Is there an ability to switch out members mid battle eventually?

Also, Haru says gently caress the police

unfortunately no, i started using a guide to look up the weaknesses of especially strong shadows in advance because, as you said, fights get exponentially more tedious if you don't have at least one party member to ping-pong weak-element attacks with

for the first three dungeons that's easy enough to figure out, because each one has a pretty obvious "main character" you're expected to keep in the party for major battles, but after that it gets a lot fuzzier