Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (October 5, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 13, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 9, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 25, 1935)

Mopsy (December 24, 1936)

Dark Laughter (September 25, 1943)

Welp, starting here the quality of Dark Laughter declines. It wasn’t published for a long stretch (keep an eye on the upcoming run dates), and when it returns several papers with good scans no longer run it. I pulled what I could!

Those Were the Days (September 18, 1952)

Wee Pals (July 16, 1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

nishi koichi posted:

guy destroying his body for entertainment asking to be paid more, the horror

$20,000 in 1952 is about $200,000 today, which is a lot but maybe not crazy given that the scout is literally on his knees begging the kid to sign on. $10 a month in ~1922 is $2,000 a year today, which is theft.

This was the best Axa storyline we've seen to this point, by far. It turns out, having your protagonist actually do things makes the story more interesting! It had a few issues (I am very tired of Dirk, and the whole "poor people devolved into gross mud-monsters" thing is, uh, not great), but I enjoyed Axa having some agency and fighting things, as well as the fantastical nature of the sky people. I'm also quite fond of the ending where Zeph basically founds a religion about evolving into bird people by falling to his death.

You named your cat Clapton. Just play the grandpa rock you normally like, Jeremy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

They said his name!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 12, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Aug 19, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 2-3, 1989))

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Bobby's racoon costume gets me every single time

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

coronatae posted:

Bobby's racoon costume gets me every single time

Robbie any Bobby does "deliberately weird" way better than most things, IMO.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (September 11, 1952)
I'm quite interested in this one because on its face it's a "those spoiled athletes", but also notably in the first panel the stands are completely empty - the amateurs are playing to nobody for the love of it; while in the second, the stands are packed with people with what I guess are 'excitement' lines exploding off them, while the manager - though rejecting 20k for an amateur kid - is still opening his bid with ten thousand dollars and a new car because he's so desperate to sign him he's literally sweating.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Despite seeming to be a nostalgia strip due to the hybrid Asay/Kelly presentation I get the impression that we're not supposed to always interpret the old days as being better. It just seems like that because we're not used to seeing the format used in any other way.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Johnny Walker posted:

OK now it's over, right? RIGHT?!?
"My dog has helped me understand forgiveness, like the time I had to forgive him when he poo poo all over the floor."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bruceski posted:

I didn't even notice the "reduced fat" label at first; I thought it was referencing when you drink after overeating and everything swells and you regret every decision that led up to that moment.

It says "Reduce". The tea will somehow help you lose weight.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze defiles the Calvin & Hobbes font.

I can't quite articulate why but this working daze pisses me off more so than the comic usually does. Think it's just how self-congratulatory it feels.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When your "rich vain superficial" character has to stand in for the "annoying preachy environmentalist" character you never established, but suddenly realized you needed for the joke.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

When your "rich vain superficial" character has to stand in for the "annoying preachy environmentalist" character you never established, but suddenly realized you needed for the joke.

It's much more of a Ruth line. She's normally the misinterpreting and performative moralising boomer-bait character. It seems backward having her be the reader stand in rather than railing at the perceived cruelties inflicted by rich girl so she can draw the patronising, "aren't kids dumb" chuckle response.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, I'll admit it: the "The Smythes" shirt with a picture of Flo from Andy Capp is clever.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/11/01

Brenda Starr 4/4-6/46

Smokey Stover 6/30/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Another variation on a gag Thompson did a few times.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 12, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 2, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 2, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 2, 1989)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zereth posted:

It says "Reduce". The tea will somehow help you lose weight.
Yeah, the literal wording is like "for managing body fat", so it's not reduced fat tea (tea has no fats!) but rather a tea that advertises itself as part of a way to maintain your body - although almost certainly as an appetite suppressant rather than pizza chaser.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/4-6/46
It would really help this comic if we had ever seen any evidence at all of Brenda actually doing her job. Like, just a panel of someone holding a newspaper and saying "Nice job on the <whatever> story, Brenda!" or a headline with her name under it. Because the impression one gets from the way she's constantly going on holidays and coming up with excuses for not working, it just seems like she's never done any actual journalism in her life.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (September 11-17, 2000)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (August 2, 1989)

drat it Garfield this is my motto in life.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 2-3, 1989))

It’s strips like these that weirded me out when I
read fanmade follow ups that have Calvin and Suzie as a married couple.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Are we gearing up for another murder arc?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "18 - Jucika at People's Stadium"

"Jucika's Net"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika's Net"

I love her

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slammy posted:

Welp, starting here the quality of Dark Laughter declines. It wasn’t published for a long stretch (keep an eye on the upcoming run dates), and when it returns several papers with good scans no longer run it. I pulled what I could!

Thank you for getting what you could out of this series, Bootsie had some great gags

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set beats the rush.

Working Daze should just install an adblocker like everyone else.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a couple of real characters!

Cul De Sac makes its own fun.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Panel 2 slam is good, panel 4 slam is really good

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I forgot about this little arc and how much I love Shelley's provocateur routine

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (May 27, 1929)

Mopsy (December 24, 1936)

Thanks for doing all this archival work for Dark Laughter! I’ve really enjoyed it. When you started posting it I was surprised at how modern it felt...then I realized it looked modern largely because it’s so rare to see Black people in the vintage comics (who aren’t drawn like Ick, anyway).

And thanks too for posting all this Gladys Parker! I prefer the single panel Mopsy over the Sunday strips (those are good too tho). One of the things I love about Gay and Her Gang is how much they move between panels - it makes me think of old movies, with all the characters pacing around frenetically while quipping.

Classic Zits

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Really nice to learn about historical comics by black artists. They tend to be material that never reached Northern Europe.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis is in reruns this week.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 12, 2021

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Kennel posted:

Really nice to learn about historical comics by black artists. They tend to be material that never reached Northern Europe.

Everyone should look up Ollie Harrington, he led a fascinating life right in the center of the Harlem Renaissance.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Oh no, not an F for your fake identity! Better do a murder.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics, double Terry edition, so racism ahoy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Professor Wayne posted:

The Far Side

Zits

Monica knew. Monica ALWAYS knew.

Also, that zits is a " SOME GIZMO" strip. Like, there are multiple ways to possibly recover deleted files.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

At minimum they should at least be in the recycle bin unless someone was trying to destroy them in purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

maybe Zits can take out his dying hard drive and put it in the freezer and get a few minutes to recover his files