Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

I think there is a place for a character analogous to a "magical girl" type in western wrestling

There is and it's called bringing Yuka Sakazaki in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vandar posted:

I mean, to be quite frank, the rest of the Raw women's division ARE a bunch of chumps.

Alexa's caught up in the Fiend story, Becky is out with the baby, Lacey is pregnant, Charlotte isn't pregnant (honestly I have no doubt there was a plan there to have Charlotte go up against Asuka and take the belt until the non-pregnant stuff and the Andrade stuff happened). Who does that leave?

Dana, Mandy, Peyton, and Lana are all losers. Mickie can't event get a spot on Main Event, Nikki might as well not even exist, and Naomi is being punished for being over and popular.

I'm not trying to say the Asuka/Rhea match was good. I'm not even trying to defend the lovely build to it. I'm just saying...at least Rhea has been treated like a legit threat at times in the past (at least when Charlotte's not involved), and at least she's known as a former NXT champion which usually carries a great deal of weight with it. If Asuka had kept the belt tonight, she would most certainly be continued to be booked badly and end up dropping to Charlotte whenever she comes back. At least Rhea getting the title is something different for once. :shrug:

Though, I honestly don't even know why I'm so worked up about this lol. The WWE is poo poo and we all know it. At the very least, Rhea getting the belt will get us some new matchups we haven't seen yet, I'd hope.

Like I said WWE is honestly better off without a Women's Division if they aren't going to put any real effort into making any good on a consistent basis

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait, so Daniel Bryan didn't win in a feel good moment of the year? He was inserted pointlessly into a match you say?

Who could have seen this coming

Gotta make Roman look strong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gotta make Roman look strong.

Good to see a young up-and-comer getting over

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

all these years we've been theorizing that Russo was secretly back but it was actually Corny

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

drrockso20 posted:

Like I said WWE is honestly better off without a Women's Division if they aren't going to put any real effort into making any good on a consistent basis

You're not wrong but if they're going to have one I'm still gonna bitch about it. :colbert:

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait, so Daniel Bryan didn't win in a feel good moment of the year? He was inserted pointlessly into a match you say?

He made the mistake of saying he's going part-time soon in an interview.

He'll never win anything notable again.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This is the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen, and I watch Mecha Mummy matches on DDT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Someone dub this scene over the Fiend's entrance for Botchamania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNIFD7TxwU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lamuella posted:

I think there is a place for a character analogous to a "magical girl" type in western wrestling, you'd just have to be really careful about how you pitch it to avoid it seeming, not to be blunt, weird and creepy.

For some reason where my mind lands is with a sort of Anne Of Green Gables / Pippi Longstocking character. Pure heart, lots of moxie and gumption, kind of easily tricked by people.

I might have just reinvented NXT Bayley.

I too liked Molly Holly

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lamuella posted:

I think there is a place for a character analogous to a "magical girl" type in western wrestling, you'd just have to be really careful about how you pitch it to avoid it seeming, not to be blunt, weird and creepy.

Yeah her name is Yuka Sakazaki and she is very good.

Lamuella posted:

For some reason where my mind lands is with a sort of Anne Of Green Gables / Pippi Longstocking character. Pure heart, lots of moxie and gumption, kind of easily tricked by people.

Although that's certainly not her, everything that I've seen of Yuka is that she's a bit of a little poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

This was just Nikki Cross back when everyone thought Alexa was using her and was going to betray her.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Vandar posted:

You're not wrong but if they're going to have one I'm still gonna bitch about it. :colbert:

He made the mistake of saying he's going part-time soon in an interview.

He'll never win anything notable again.

There's a reason when a women's match comes on 9 times out of 10 I'll use that time to go take a bathroom break or go fetch a snack or something, ignoring the existence of their matches as anything beyond background noise is just better for my mental health

It's a shame too cause it was the Women's Division that helped catch my attention when I first got into Wrestling back in late 2015/early 2016(I forget exactly when), at the time it seemed so exciting seeing the sheer athleticism they had and the soap opera drama was actually interesting when you were seeing it for the first time before you eventually realized that even by Professional Wrestling standards the writing for the women is extremely one note and repetitive

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

They finally just said "gently caress it, what if Mania 30 had the ending We wanted" and the fans didn't riot over it. He's never getting anything again, and he's too in love with them to sign elsewhere despite it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason when a women's match comes on 9 times out of 10 I'll use that time to go take a bathroom break or go fetch a snack or something, ignoring the existence of their matches as anything beyond background noise is just better for my mental health

It's a shame too cause it was the Women's Division that helped catch my attention when I first got into Wrestling back in late 2015/early 2016(I forget exactly when), at the time it seemed so exciting seeing the sheer athleticism they had and the soap opera drama was actually interesting when you were seeing it for the first time before you eventually realized that even by Professional Wrestling standards the writing for the women is extremely one note and repetitive

It's drat near criminal because a few years back NXT had an amazing women's division that put on extremely good matches, had insanely over wrestlers like Kairi Sane... and then the WWE plundered them and wasted most of that talent.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Let's face it: They only really cared about the women on the main roster while Ronda was around.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

*checks wrestlemania results*

LOL, WWE still openly hates their fans

Welp, bye

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bye brad

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Couple casual fan friends watched mania for free on peacock. Wwe did not create two new fans this weekend.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Roman is in Jinder Mahal territory now with how often he gets saved by interference.

Meanwhile Lashley lost the opportunity to have his cronies at Wrestlemania and responded by....beating Drew clean in the middle of the ring? Weird booking to get there.

Too many heel victories but I did like the ones that were clean like Lashley and Sheamus. A dude literally running in at the last second like the Crews and Roman matches is just deflating Nitro poo poo.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Saving Roman Reigns from both himself and the writers is a herculean effort

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

tao of lmao posted:

Couple casual fan friends watched mania for free on peacock. Wwe did not create two new fans this weekend.

Text from my father, who watched wrestling religiously for my childhood but gave up completely about 5 years ago.

"WTF is Bray Wyatt now"

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The end of the Michael Cole Era is near

Sigma fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 12, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That dude got fired from ESPN for leaking information lmao

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm watching Mania night 2 right now and reading through the live thread, this post about the Fiend entrance

yea ok posted:

this is making me turn into a cspam poster. quickly googling napalm recipes

has me crying laughing

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
This Is My Brutality

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So it might have been pointed out already, but if you wrestle for WWE, don't put forth more than the minimum amount of effort into your job. It's pretty obvious you won't get rewarded for it. Drew, Sasha, Bayley, and Asuka all carried this loving company through the pandemic and all of them lost in some shape or form at Wrestlemania. Just stay at home or only show up to work every other month and you are more likely to get a major win at Wrestlemania.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's kind of funny how much they've stopped caring about making things look special or finished well or whatever. I feel like if this was in another era of WWE, they wouldn't have had such an obvious door on the back of the box (like structure) or the basic-rear end caster wheels on the bottom.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Don’t worry Roman will be drafted to raw and some new hero will be build up to beat him. That new baby face will be super over then!!!
:tif:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If nothing else I hope at the very least when Vince dies Dunn will be shot into the sun and we won’t have all the dumbass camera cuts.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol vince is gonna live for another 20 years

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kunabomber posted:

lol vince is gonna live for another 20 years all eternity

Fixed that for you, pretty sure Vince's lifespan at this point is fueled by the spite/scorn of fans.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

So it might have been pointed out already, but if you wrestle for WWE, don't put forth more than the minimum amount of effort into your job. It's pretty obvious you won't get rewarded for it. Drew, Sasha, Bayley, and Asuka all carried this loving company through the pandemic and all of them lost in some shape or form at Wrestlemania. Just stay at home or only show up to work every other month and you are more likely to get a major win at Wrestlemania.

I'm not crying any tears for Drew, Sasha, and Asuka who have all stayed in relatively prominent spots in the last year and at least got loving matches on the show. Bayley was one of the best things in this company all year and being relegated to doing promos with Hulk Hogan and then getting beat up by the Bellas is doing her real dirty imo.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
They didn't even go easy on her either, they threw her down the ramp like a drunk rear end in a top hat on St Patrick's day

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I'd call her feud with Sasha to be one of the best angles/payoffs in recent memory, the slow burn storybuilding where she gets more and more jealous, people knowing it's coming but not knowing when, and when the snap finally happened it owned hard

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

wwe hard at work developing piped in cheers that can overpower a full capacity crowd

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE continues the trend of really loving bad champion pictures for their website.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

If I couldn't run a wrestling show in front of a live crowd for a year and change, and if my fans were risking Covid-19 to come see my first show, and if lapsed fans were tuning in partially for the presence of a crowd. I probably would have focused on things that would have made them cheer and give a positive vibe to my company that can finally be heard through organic people but what do I know.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's kind of funny how much they've stopped caring about making things look special or finished well or whatever. I feel like if this was in another era of WWE, they wouldn't have had such an obvious door on the back of the box (like structure) or the basic-rear end caster wheels on the bottom.

Had to click through - holy poo poo those are such ridiculously cheap touches.

Tato posted:

Meanwhile Lashley lost the opportunity to have his cronies at Wrestlemania and responded by....beating Drew clean in the middle of the ring? Weird booking to get there.

Nah, there was interference of MVP shouting at his charge....like a normal manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEzno5MfEEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
It felt like Wrestlemania was actually an advertisement for the TV product rather than having proper blowoff matches that ends feuds tbh