Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pokeyman posted:

I'm convinced that daylight saving time changes have casualties (directly attributable, like some car navigation system goes haywire at the clock change and sends someone off a cliff, not some vague "study shows 0.1% increase in injuries on Monday after time change") but I have yet to actually prove it.

Every year when we move the clocks forward there's a large spike in fatal car crashes and heart attacks. These are not small effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/geeksteev/status/1381215739298873347

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ultrafilter posted:

Every year when we move the clocks forward there's a large spike in fatal car crashes and heart attacks. These are not small effects.

So let's talk about calculations for oncology software, which a friend of mine who definitely isn't me has worked on in the past.

The way a PET scan works is that the patient is injected with a radioactive isotype that binds with glucose - this highlights metabolic activity on the scan. In order to interpret the scan, the units are normalized into what is known as "SUV", or standard uptake value, which is a unit of density on the image. So given a pixel value on the image, you can empirically say "hey, the suv value on the pixels in this tumor in this roi is high, this could be cancer."

Unfortunately, one of the variables that goes into this calculation is "injected activity" - and the problem is that the software (depending on the scanner) may need to decay correct this value (as since the isotype decays, the amount of radiation being emitted will go down over time) - and decay correction involves finding the time difference between when the isotype was injected, and when the scan started.

These times are all stored in the dicom header as metainformation. Here's the https://qibawiki.rsna.org/images/8/86/SUV_vendorneutral_pseudocode_20180626_DAC.pdf for calculating the SUV value.

A recent topic of research has been the inexplicable variability in these measurements, e.g.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5698613/
https://www.ajronline.org/doi/pdfplus/10.2214/AJR.10.4923

So like... hypothetically, say whether or not a tumor is considered as cancer or not changes depending on whether or not your scan gets done at midnight, or when the clocks change over to DST That'd probably be undesirable, right?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sagacity posted:

Was this part of some form of mandatory community service?

Sort of? I started crunching on it immediately after crunching on John Woo Presents: Stranglehold. Afterwards they wanted me to crunch on Blitz: The League 2 and then MK vs. DC, but I switched teams and got laid off in 6 months (midway went bankrupt)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://github.com/kdeldycke/awesome-falsehood

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

more falafel please posted:

I started crunching on it immediately after crunching on John Woo Presents: Stranglehold.
Was this console stuff or still Midway arcade games? How much duct tape would you say was used during the crunch, trying to get these games out the door?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is great, saving this.

Went looking for the Hartford coliseum disaster, found this list instead

20 famous software disasters

Some engineering journal posted:

This roof was noted for being one of the first large-span roofs made possible by computer design and analysis, and was modeled as a space truss using a trusted program. The roof of this three-year-old structure collapsed at 4:15 AM on January 18, 1978 during a freezing rainstorm after a period of snow. Fortunately, there were no injuries sustained as a result of the collapse. The night before, there were over 5,000 people in the coliseum attending an event. Following several investigations of the collapse, it was determined that this was an instance primarily of inadequate structural design.

The excessive deflections apparent during construction were brought to the engineer's attention multiple times. The engineer, confident in his design and the computer analysis which confirmed it, ignored these warnings and did not take the time to recheck it s work.

The joint of the truss members was modeled in the computer as having no eccentricity, an incorrect assumption. As a result of this inaccuracy, a bending moment was actually developed in the built structure, putting additional stresses in the member. A nonlinear collapse simulation was rerun using the correct model for the joint, and with loading conditions selected to approximate those of the night of failure. The result was that the simulated connection failed as it had under the real conditions.

Conclusion

The engineers for the Hartford Arena depended on computer analysis to assess the safety of their design. However, computer programs have a tendency to provide engineers with a false sense of security. The roof design was extremely susceptible to buckling which was a mode of failure not considered in that particular computer analysis and, therefore, left undiscovered.

The dangers of dismissing QA and saying "well it works on my end, the users must just be loving up."

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 12, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sagacity posted:

Was this console stuff or still Midway arcade games? How much duct tape would you say was used during the crunch, trying to get these games out the door?

Console, and tons.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/23/22399721/uk-post-office-software-bug-criminal-convictions-overturned

well then

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

That story has been running for decades. It would be interesting to know more about the software issues that led to the accounting being off by tens of thousands of pounds - I've never seen any detail on that. But everything I've seen about it suggests that it was primarily a problem in the management culture of the Post Office, and the actual software bugs are probably not that interesting in comparison.

They didn't believe or didn't want to believe that their lovely software system might be giving them the wrong numbers, and they were happy to crush the little people and get them sent to prison rather than investigate whether anything was really wrong with their system

even though there were dozens of cases all being prosecuted at the same time

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if it's the cumulative effect of floating point arithmetic

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
jesus that's horrifying

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's infuriating. 736 Post Office employees. You'd think there was corroborating evidence obvious in accounts with so many cases of theft. It wouldn't be surprising if any of the people responsible for pushing through the prosecutions got off with no consequences.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'd love to know the Fujitsu side of the story, did they just chuck it over the fence and say it's done, no more support? If the Post Office management made a ruling early on that it must be theft and never even passed it on to Fujitsu then that's one thing but surely they heard about this over the 3 decades or whatever.

Also, "Earlier this month the chief executive of the Post Office said that Horizon would be replaced with a new, cloud-based solution." just incase someone thought a lesson had been learned.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

NtotheTC posted:

I'd love to know the Fujitsu side of the story

"works on my machine"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/histoftech/status/1385581818888425472

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

NtotheTC posted:

I'd love to know the Fujitsu side of the story, did they just chuck it over the fence and say it's done, no more support? If the Post Office management made a ruling early on that it must be theft and never even passed it on to Fujitsu then that's one thing but surely they heard about this over the 3 decades or whatever.

People who aren't computer programmers by trade generally make the assumption that computers are good at stuff like multiplying or adding two numbers together, especially if they grew up using electronic calculators. Floating point is actually such ridiculous bullshit that it takes experience to realize how easy it is to gently caress up with it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

NtotheTC posted:

Also, "Earlier this month the chief executive of the Post Office said that Horizon would be replaced with a new, cloud-based solution." just incase someone thought a lesson had been learned.

It's worth pointing out that this "horizon" system has been in place for a long time, by the standards of computer systems (well, maybe not by the standards of government computing systems). Like I said in my previous post, this has been a story for decades. The system was introduced in 2000. It's not that remarkable that they might have decided to replace a 20-year-old system.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
system system system. System? system

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
This mega sucks for those people but I'm chuckling at this reporting:

The Verge posted:

what is reportedly the largest miscarriage of justice that the UK has ever seen.
:shuckyes:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

raminasi posted:

This mega sucks for those people but I'm chuckling at this reporting:

:shuckyes:

I think you should be more up-front about what you mean here, rather than leaving us to guess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hammerite posted:

I think you should be more up-front about what you mean here, rather than leaving us to guess.

It's obviously Maradona's handball goal in the 1986 World Cup.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hammerite posted:

Windrush is just the first thing that pops to my mind. "Come here, we destroy your paperwork so you're undocumented, gently caress off."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hammerite posted:

The UK has plenty of really bad poo poo in its history, even if we want to restrict it to relatively recent events and not go back to Cromwell or whatever. This is very bad but doesn't even come close to "largest miscarriage of justice" in the UK.

For instance, in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, civilians suspected of IRA involvement were captured and extrajudicially tortured, and a military unit opened fire on an unarmed crowd. The investigations were, of course, totally whitewashed.

And of course that's just within the UK proper, not even getting into the prison camps, torture, and summary executions that were official policy during events like the Malayan Emergency or Mau Mau uprising.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 24, 2021

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Windrush is just the first thing that pops to my mind. "Come here, we destroy your paperwork so you're undocumented, gently caress off."

Space Gopher posted:

The UK has plenty of really bad poo poo in its history, even if we want to restrict it to relatively recent events and not go back to Cromwell or whatever. This is very bad but doesn't even come close to "largest miscarriage of justice" in the UK.

For instance, in Northern Ireland in the 1970s, civilians suspected of IRA involvement were captured and extrajudicially tortured, and a military unit opened fire on an unarmed crowd. The investigations were, of course, totally whitewashed.

And of course that's just within the UK proper, not even getting into the prison camps, torture, and summary executions that were official policy during events like the Malayan Emergency or Mau Mau uprising.

These are all just your guesses at what raminasi might have meant. Which is my point, it's not clear to me whether they meant to refer to the things you've mentioned, or to any other things the UK (or its court system specifically) has done wrong in its history; I daresay there are many more to choose from.

It's down to guesswork, and I find it annoying when goons are so confident that everyone's minds go to the same places as theirs when they read something that they just assume everyone knows what they mean when they make a cryptic comment about it. I don't know what is happening in your head, you have to tell me. That's all I wanted to get across.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

"miscarriage of justice" specifically refers to court cases getting overturned, not just all the war crimes we've done over the last few centuries

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Not So Fast posted:

"miscarriage of justice" specifically refers to court cases getting overturned, not just all the war crimes we've done over the last few centuries

I guess I also interpreted "miscarriage of justice" much more narrowly than Space Gopher in particular. To me it doesn't merely mean "unjust thing that happened", rather it means a case where a court convicted somebody when they shouldn't have. So while the things they mentioned were unjust, not all of them are "miscarriages of justice" as such... to me. But I didn't want to drag things off on a tangent about what exactly qualifies as a "miscarriage of justice", or try to impose my version of what the term should mean. My real issue is that I've a pet peeve about the way goons communicate. Oh yes, and a Creme Egg McFlurry please.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Hammerite posted:

I guess I also interpreted "miscarriage of justice" much more narrowly than Space Gopher in particular. To me it doesn't merely mean "unjust thing that happened", rather it means a case where a court convicted somebody when they shouldn't have. So while the things they mentioned were unjust, not all of them are "miscarriages of justice" as such... to me. But I didn't want to drag things off on a tangent about what exactly qualifies as a "miscarriage of justice", or try to impose my version of what the term should mean. My real issue is that I've a pet peeve about the way goons communicate. Oh yes, and a Creme Egg McFlurry please.

tbh if you're looking for miscarriage in the strict literal meaning, the uk doesn't exactly have the best track record either (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_Serious_Crime_Squad).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

"miscarriage of justice" is what the lawyers refer to as a term of art.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Not So Fast posted:

ultrafilter posted:

"miscarriage of justice" is what the lawyers refer to as a term of art.

I learned this today!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Hammerite posted:

These are all just your guesses at what raminasi might have meant. Which is my point, it's not clear to me whether they meant to refer to the things you've mentioned, or to any other things the UK (or its court system specifically) has done wrong in its history; I daresay there are many more to choose from.

It's down to guesswork, and I find it annoying when goons are so confident that everyone's minds go to the same places as theirs when they read something that they just assume everyone knows what they mean when they make a cryptic comment about it. I don't know what is happening in your head, you have to tell me. That's all I wanted to get across.

It was very obvious that they were saying that the UK has had much worse miscarriages of justice in the past? You don't need to know what thing in particular they had in mind to understand that point.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, the point is in fact made better without explicitly pointing to one thing, because there are so many to choose from...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Most of the reporting I've seen about it refers to it as the "most widespread miscarriage of justice" presumably meaning as opposed to one corrupt region, it has affected the whole of the UK. The quoted article says "reportedly the largest miscarriage of justice" which seems like The Verge misinterpreting the other sources since in terms of number of cases overturned, it's not actually the largest. Nowhere have I seen anyone refer to it as the "worst miscarriage of justice".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hammerite posted:

Why does it have to be something specific? The UK is responsible for so much truly heinous poo poo that jailing 40 innocent people doesn't even make the cut for being noteworthy. Like, debtors prisons? Deliberately starving the Irish? Any of the shenanigans that they got up to during Colonialism? Inventing the concept of a concentration camp (which Nazi Germany would go on to copy)? Like even if you want to restrict the atrocities to just judgements made in court, this is barely a blip

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Plorkyeran posted:

It was very obvious that they were saying that the UK has had much worse miscarriages of justice in the past? You don't need to know what thing in particular they had in mind to understand that point.

I disagree. It was not possible to tell from the wording of the post whether they had something specific in mind, or not. The post was ambiguous.

QuarkJets posted:

Why does it have to be something specific? The UK is responsible for so much truly heinous poo poo that jailing 40 innocent people doesn't even make the cut for being noteworthy. Like, debtors prisons? Deliberately starving the Irish? Any of the shenanigans that they got up to during Colonialism? Inventing the concept of a concentration camp (which Nazi Germany would go on to copy)? Like even if you want to restrict the atrocities to just judgements made in court, this is barely a blip

It doesn't have to be something specific, but it might have been, and it was unclear from the post whether it was or not.

I believe I've made my feelings clear regarding how the post might or might not be interpreted, so I won't respond to further posts expressing simple disagreement with my interpretation (or refusal to interpret). That'd just end up being a sequence of "nuh uh" "uh huh" posts and it's not worthwhile. By all means continue disagreeing and call me dumb or w/e, I've made my views a matter of public record at this point.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
It doesn't matter whether or not they had something specific in mind. You're not refusing to interpret the post; you're reading a specific interpretation into it, realizing that the interpretation you came up with made the post ambiguous, and then complaining about the post rather than re-evaluating your reading of the post.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Plorkyeran posted:

It doesn't matter whether or not they had something specific in mind. You're not refusing to interpret the post; you're reading a specific interpretation into it, realizing that the interpretation you came up with made the post ambiguous, and then complaining about the post rather than re-evaluating your reading of the post.

If it's a waste of my time to look at raminasi's post and try to figure out what they were thinking when they made it then it's definitely a waste of your time for you to look at my post and try to figure out what I was thinking when I tried to work out what raminasi was thinking.

As penance for derailing the thread, have a story about what I'm doing with my time this past week or so. When I joined this company a few years ago, everything was on Perforce. Now in 2021 nearly all development activities are on Azure DevOps. My team is the last one left using Perforce on a day to day basis and I'm working on changing that by moving us over. I have some scripts that use "git p4 clone" to reproducibly create git repos for the various projects that live in Perforce. And I'm working on getting automated builds to run in the "new world". Things I've had to gently caress around with in the last couple of days:
  • the default build pipeline that Azure DevOps creates for you has a step that runs vstest.console.exe and picks up all test DLLs it can find, and runs the tests in them. So far so good. I run the build and it goes for an hour, then stops because it timed out. Ok, not a big deal, I raise the timeout to 90 minutes... then 120 minutes... then 150 minutes. It times out each time. OK, something is clearly going wrong here, I should probably look at the logs already. Turns out we copy the unit test DLLs around a bunch and it's finding every copy and running all the tests in each one. No wonder it's taking so long, many of the tests are being run 3 times.
  • "git p4" lets you specify paths to exclude from the Perforce tree, but as far as I know there's no way to "re-include" sub paths. So we end up with a massive, very granular list of stuff to exclude, because our projects in the "old world" had a lot of shared library code in the single Perforce "trunk" repo. That worked up until the command in my batch file blew past 8192 characters, which is all cmd.exe will allow. Had to replace it with a Python script. That still has a limit, but it's 32K, which is more than we need. (this also means that I'm running a Python script which calls git, which invokes another Python script - git p4 is implemented in Python. there's no doubt less Rube Goldberg ways of doing this, but gently caress it! migration actions that only run "in anger" once don't need to be elegant.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hammerite posted:

migration actions that only run "in anger"

Is there any other way for them to run? :confused:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hammerite posted:

. Now in 2021 nearly all development activities are on Azure DevOps.

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Volmarias posted:

Is there any other way for them to run? :confused:

For each migration script I have done several test runs to refine and re-refine the parameters*, so yes.

* Perforce paths to exclude, and (for some) the range of changeset ID numbers