Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my previous place was a kind of lovely work environment in many ways but I was very happy when one of our IT guys complained a very senior potential hire was a dick to him when setting up some remote interview stuff, and we decided not to hire him mostly due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

No, not right, I did not know that. I literally said that I haven't been reading about this kind of stuff and have no awareness of it, so thank you for the information I guess

Amazon's reputation is of a survival-of-the-fittest management culture (e.g. stack rankings). IIRC the standard equity vesting schedule there is backloaded—like 5–15–40–40 or something—with the implication being that churn is high enough that they won't have to pay out on the majority of their grants. That's on top of their other dystopian labour practices.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

QuarkJets posted:

From the previous pages comments, is AWS notorious for being a bad workplace? I'm not usually tuned in to that kind of news

they put most of your stock vesting at the end of the four years for a reason

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

man i always feel bad about contacting recruiters when idk if i really want to move, i have to remind ymself that they're not real people and don't have feelings.

I'm also totally stockholm syndromed by my current employer after having been there for so long even though the bullshit factor has become expontential recently

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the beauty of remote work is that you won’t have to move

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Fool posted:

also the possibility of pulling in multiple paychecks simultaneously if you can play your cards right

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

(im not doing this, just dreamin’)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

man i always feel bad about contacting recruiters when idk if i really want to move, i have to remind ymself that they're not real people and don't have feelings.

I'm also totally stockholm syndromed by my current employer after having been there for so long even though the bullshit factor has become expontential recently

they are real peeps, they just actually give 0 fucks about work. putertouchers have to train too long for that to be an actual reality

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
they are just trying to get paid, pretty much like everyone else

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

lol very true

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they put most of your stock vesting at the end of the four years for a reason

Just to play devils advocate they do include an enormous hiring bonus for the first and second year to make up for this but yeah that probably is the reason, a lot of people quit after 1 or 2 years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a lot of them are probably bailing for jobs at startups paying high base salaries like Netflix does. Bay Area startups need to compete with RSUs being as good as cash after all

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

a lot of them are probably bailing for jobs at startups paying high base salaries like Netflix does. Bay Area startups need to compete with RSUs being as good as cash after all

I was chatting about salaries the other day and it does sound like Amazon's pay is pretty mediocre in faang land, apparently Uber and Facebook are hiring senior devs in the 3xx,xxx figgy land.

The industry definition of senior that is, i.e "5 years of experience or more" not Amazon's definition, that's that SDE II -> III gulf I was talking about. Amazon's definition of a senior dev is basically a staff or principal dev at other places, and they take advantage of it by making you work at that level for years before you can put together a promotion document that goes through a very rigorous vetting process.

I'm not going anywhere soon though, I was lucky enough to join in mid 2019 before the stock price bump so my RSUs were issued based on the old price. I'm also dumb enough to believe them when they say I'm "real close" to that promotion, we'll see!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

also the possibility of pulling in multiple paychecks simultaneously if you can play your cards right

I let my old job and new job overlap by about 6 weeks because I wasn’t about to give up my bonus.

not something I’d want to do long term though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I was chatting about salaries the other day and it does sound like Amazon's pay is pretty mediocre in faang land, apparently Uber and Facebook are hiring senior devs in the 3xx,xxx figgy land.

The industry definition of senior that is, i.e "5 years of experience or more" not Amazon's definition, that's that SDE II -> III gulf I was talking about. Amazon's definition of a senior dev is basically a staff or principal dev at other places, and they take advantage of it by making you work at that level for years before you can put together a promotion document that goes through a very rigorous vetting process.

I'm not going anywhere soon though, I was lucky enough to join in mid 2019 before the stock price bump so my RSUs were issued based on the old price. I'm also dumb enough to believe them when they say I'm "real close" to that promotion, we'll see!

most published amazon TCs are anchored based on Seattle, they do pay more than MS in Seattle but MS has a reputation of being a much ...calmer... work environment

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

amazon doesn't give a big hiring bonus. they give you a total comp package. at the beginning it's cash, and it tapers off to be stock as you go. they call the fact that they pay you your salary in cash a "hiring bonus" because they're duplicitous

asur
Dec 28, 2012
My offer from Amazon was trash in general, but the signing bonus didn't even make up for the lack of RSUs in years 1 and 2 and was even more lackluster in comparison because most companies give a signing bonus in addition to a sane vesting schedule.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
"the process is going and we will try to be back with you on a start date on Wednesday."

not going to open the champagne yet, but feels good.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
if you don't have a promo doc being written by you or your manager, then you are nowhere close to being promoted. this is true anywhere that has any kind of formal process for promotions.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FamDav posted:

if you don't have a promo doc being written by you or your manager, then you are nowhere close to being promoted. this is true anywhere that has any kind of formal process for promotions.

oh man our promotion process past a certain level is insane. in my division I don't think there is anybody at the corporate level above me that touches code because the only way to get above it is to be a project manager full time because the process is stacked towards "value" (and we all know code is worthless) and judged by management groups that think the measure of delivery is powerpoints

idk maybe some of the quant developers are more senior but they're in a different area anyway.

there was actually a published feedback on our structure that said "people dislike the current one because they feel that you get railroaded into being a PM past a certain point" and management said" hmmm yes, we are reviewing this as part of a wider process " and shut the feedback form down. that was 2 years ago.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ADINSX posted:

How do Uber and Facebook tend to fare in the work-life balance area? As lovely as a normal corporation, worse?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jitney cab worse, myanmar genocide maker about as good

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Shameless call for resumes:

Python developers and devops looking for remote work in a release automation team, shoot me a PM. DataRobot appears to be hiring again.

Other roles are available, but I'm obviously biased for getting good butts in seats for my own org.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The consulting comany I got a job with wants me to do a technical interview with one of their clients, who apparently insists on interviewing everyone?

It's a large multinational broadcaster to be fair, but lmbo never finished interviewing.

They did say I'll be fine even if I don't get through it as they have other clients, but then they said try not to screw up so YMMV.

oh well what's done is done, so long as they pay me I guess it's whatever

e: they did get very apologetic about the whole thing, to be fair, but the other company very much isn't, technical interview for a position foo with bar and all that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 14, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
do the interview, then once they like you, ask how much they are paying the consulting company, and offer to work for them directly for an amount less than that, but greater than the consulting company is paying you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I did sign a non-compete, which is enforcable

but they're paying me well enough either way

e: although I'm technically not working for them yet, so I don't know how that works with the non-compete? but yeah just idle thinking, though it might be a US-based position so probably at least a solid ~50% margin for the company I work for

also kinda sucks to be essentially doing work for free, but then I did sign off overtime so probably won't be the first or last time

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 14, 2021

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yeah i'm kind of joking i guess, but isn't the whole point of hiring a consulting company that you get already vetted employees who don't have to go through your interview process?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
person a decides on having the engagement, person b decides on havin interviews, person a cannot or will not tel person b to gently caress off

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah i'm kind of joking i guess, but isn't the whole point of hiring a consulting company that you get already vetted employees who don't have to go through your interview process?

maybe for some, but then there's the same reasons you hire contractors for - don't count as employees, more flexibility in terms of workload/manpower, don't need to deal with employment issues, etc, plus unlike contractors consultants have the HR oversight and resources of the consulting company behind them, if they need some support or if they need to get fired for being some flavour of unprofessional

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

DELETE CASCADE posted:

in theory, in reality you get a great consultant during presales then during delivery you get a grad who has never worked in the industry. hence the interview and a contract that names the consultant rather than saying 'role x'.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

in theory, in reality you get a great consultant during presales then during delivery you get a grad who has never worked in the industry. hence the interview and a contract that names the consultant rather than saying 'role x'.

I resent that insinuation, I'll have you know I have my extremely hugely massively senior 5 whole years of industry experience in addition to my degree

so yeah lmbo probably am oversold

but thb I did get offers for mid-seniority positions from respectable companies as well, even if they didn't pay as much

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

thb stands for true honest buttclap btw

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
haha that wasn't intended as a backhander, it's just a classic big4/accenture move.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

oh yeah no I didn't think it was and there's definitely plenty of grads like that

it's not a bad point though, I don't honestly think my work is worth what they want to charge the client for it

completely off the record obviously

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 15, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the first test any fresh consultant undergoes is your first manager telling you to keep your loving mouth shut about how long you've been working with them as they put you on your first project

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Your job as a consultant is to either sell to clients (to establish billing hours) or to be an rear end in a seat (to charge those hours to the client). If you're not the former, you're the latter, and you do your job just as effectively whether or not you're actually getting work done. The getting work done is a nice fringe benefit for a lot of staff; Most consultancies have way more people soaking up hours than it takes to effectively do and check the work, but nobody internal to the company is incentivized to keep those numbers from inflating unless there's a risk a client might jump ship to another company for their next contract (who will proceed to either underbid and earn money through change orders or screw them in exactly the same fashion).

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
current company tried to transfer me to a new team to keep me from jumping ship. telling my boss the number i would stay for and watching her jaw drop in disbelief is satisfying in a way not many other things are.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I interviewed since January for a random job some recruiter couldn't articulate well. Did a lot of interviews but I got the job and it's cool and they got me a really nice chair ama

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sneakyfrog posted:

I interviewed since January for a random job some recruiter couldn't articulate well. Did a lot of interviews but I got the job and it's cool and they got me a really nice chair ama

uhhh are you now part of the deep state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Citizen that is not a patriotic question