Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

they got harrison ford to do it (twice!)

lol at the way literally everyones expression in the rise of skywalked was pure "i am so loving done with this poo poo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9DvIs97G0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw an interview with daisy ridley where they asked her "so what sort of group text inside jokes did you have with the rest of the cast lol" and she said "group text...? we didn't have a group text" and i was like oh no they left daisy out of the group text :(

maybe she has an android

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i just finished the second season of Infinity Train and, i know it's a kids cartoon, but god drat it's so good. i loving love the synth music and the art design.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Dark Knight Rises gave us Bane Voice so it's a contender imo

my favorite part about DKR was that bat man had the time during a full city invasion to set up an elaborate pyrotechnic display of a flaming bat on the whole the side of a building all by himself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he probably did that with a bat-drone of some sort.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

idg why they would want to take probably the dumbest single piece of lore from the prequels and make a whole show about it

thats the fandom

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

thats the fandom
To be fair, the writers also seem pretty committed to doing the dumbest thing possible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right, because thats the mandate from disney. the mandalorian managed to initially escape from it, but disney wrangled it back into line and its gonna get stuffed full of bullshit.

fake edit: lol cgi luke just popped into my head

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ouch!

mystes
May 31, 2006

George Lucas's agreement with Disney probably requires that after his death, they insert a CG George Lucas in place of all characters in all star wars movies anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
2: whenever a skywalker's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "where's a skywalker?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

right, because thats the mandate from disney. the mandalorian managed to initially escape from it, but disney wrangled it back into line and its gonna get stuffed full of bullshit.

fake edit: lol cgi luke just popped into my head

hey they credited mark hamill so it’s fine!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"Skywalker" is both a cool name which also sounds like it's from a slightly racist novel about Native Americans

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm gonna go deep on some nerd poo poo here but I feel like the people who work on the franchise have been trying to get rid of the jedi for over a decade and they just can't get across the line

in a lot of the side media like clone wars and rebels it's frequently implied and occasionally outright stated that the only reason the sith only exist is because the jedi do and you're not supposed to only pursue one side of the force. in the prequels the jedi's self righteousness and inflexibility made them blind to the fact that they were leading a fake war that destroyed the republic and led to them all getting murdered. luke's school failed because he was afraid of the dark side. I'd hoped with the literal act of destroying the jedi library and burying the past + the gold saber at the end of rise of skywalker they finally did it but they'll never let it go imo and the orange saber will just be retconned to be a jedi pregnancy test where orange means pregnant with the chosen one

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

"Skywalker" is both a cool name which also sounds like it's from a slightly racist novel about Native Americans

I thought Coldwater was a cool fantasy name, too bad it was wasted on such a bad character

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Barry was all too real!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qirex posted:

I'm gonna go deep on some nerd poo poo here but I feel like the people who work on the franchise have been trying to get rid of the jedi for over a decade and they just can't get across the line

in a lot of the side media like clone wars and rebels it's frequently implied and occasionally outright stated that the only reason the sith only exist is because the jedi do and you're not supposed to only pursue one side of the force. in the prequels the jedi's self righteousness and inflexibility made them blind to the fact that they were leading a fake war that destroyed the republic and led to them all getting murdered. luke's school failed because he was afraid of the dark side. I'd hoped with the literal act of destroying the jedi library and burying the past + the gold saber at the end of rise of skywalker they finally did it but they'll never let it go imo and the orange saber will just be retconned to be a jedi pregnancy test where orange means pregnant with the chosen one

they didn’t really destroy the Jedi library, Rey took all the books with her

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

they didn’t really destroy the Jedi library, Rey took all the books with her

they didn't really commit to anything that happened in TLJ, the first third or so of ROS is spent on undoing it

some of that is probably abrams being mad his grand trilogy vision was rejected and some of it is probably suits demanding a minimum level of sequel bait

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that lucas put in an unkillable boat anchor to the skywalkers in the sale to disney was some serious dumb poo poo, "here's a civilization that spans a whole galaxy but you can only tell a story about this one family"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

haveblue posted:

they didn't really commit to anything that happened in TLJ, the first third or so of ROS is spent on undoing it

some of that is probably abrams being mad his grand trilogy vision was rejected and some of it is probably suits demanding a minimum level of sequel bait

they literally show her with the book in ROS. in any case, i think there's some implications that said book is really early jedi knowledge and not really what the latter day jedi became. like, jesus's ministry vs. the modern catholic church

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they show her with the books in TLJ, Rian didn’t commit to his own plot point

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
time
for a rewatch
https://twitter.com/kithonline/status/1381602933083664385

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc4ND4Javf4

It's all yours, Cap'n

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A few of the EU novels get a little into the idea that the force, being a universal force of nature and all, is something you can discover to use on your own and you don't have to be a trained Jedi or Sith.

Like one of the books has these "witches" who live on Dathomir in this matriarchal society and do magic, and it's clearly the force, but they've never heard of Jedi or Sith and don't use lightsabers and they have a different moral code and idea of which powers are classically good or evil. They shoot lightning and it's just a thing they can do, shrug, not a sign that they're corrupted and evil

I think it would be cool to watch a series that examines some other sort of force users outside of the Jedi/sith structure. I thought that's what they were doing with the blind monk in rogue one but he only had like two scenes and his order has never been mentioned again so welp

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

A few of the EU novels get a little into the idea that the force, being a universal force of nature and all, is something you can discover to use on your own and you don't have to be a trained Jedi or Sith.

Like one of the books has these "witches" who live on Dathomir in this matriarchal society and do magic, and it's clearly the force, but they've never heard of Jedi or Sith and don't use lightsabers and they have a different moral code and idea of which powers are classically good or evil. They shoot lightning and it's just a thing they can do, shrug, not a sign that they're corrupted and evil

I think it would be cool to watch a series that examines some other sort of force users outside of the Jedi/sith structure. I thought that's what they were doing with the blind monk in rogue one but he only had like two scenes and his order has never been mentioned again so welp
one of the nice features of rogue one was that it showed there were plenty of folk religions built around the force that had nothing to do with the jedi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the dathomir witches are in the fallen order video game so I guess they're canon again

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they’re in Clone Wars too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Wrong Guy is the good KitH movie. Brain Candy kinda left me cold.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rotor posted:

The Wrong Guy is the good KitH movie. Brain Candy kinda left me cold.

brain candy had a lot less jennifer tilly

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

qirex posted:

idg why they would want to take probably the dumbest single piece of lore from the prequels and make a whole show about it

Ep 9 made Rey canonically Palpatine's granddaughter. I feel like the "this is too dumb to actually be part of Star Wars" ship has sailed.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

brain candy had a lot less jennifer tilly

a LOT less

big mistake imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I broke down and am watching the Snyder cut in chunks. ~20 minutes today, got as far as the Amazons guarding the mother box. I can confidently say that Snyder is infinitely better at directing WW action scenes than Jenkins, she actually seems like a powerful dynamic badass. can’t tell if there’s any differences between the two cuts up to this point

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a very different movie and it is genuinely better than the josh wheaties cut. that one was just a bunch of painful noise and stupid but this one i liked.

it's far too long as "a movie" but i watched it in three chunks and it was fine that way. it's conveniently broken up into six sections i assume for that purpose.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ep 9 made Rey canonically Palpatine's granddaughter. I feel like the "this is too dumb to actually be part of Star Wars" ship has sailed.
Dude

That ship never existed

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Wow.

Apparently in standard SW nerd fashion they retconned the spelling to make it fit the universe:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Elan_Sel%27Sabagno
Doing Lucas's work for him, the EU writer's favorite pasttime

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Surprised the prequels never had a minor character just straight up named Giuseppe Stromboli

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darth Icky

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Darth Father is secretly the hero's father.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"Lando" Landonis Balthazar Calrissian III

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, he's the one that lets them land