Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kragger99 posted:

Is it best practice to not have the ethernet/wifi connected when doing the initial windows install? Does that help prevent default windows gfx drivers that can mess up your proper ones from the manufacturer? I saw that in one of Jay’s 2 cents vids recently, but not sure if it’s actually true.

I like to keep it disconnected but mostly because if you're doing Windows 10 Home it will force you to make a MS account with no way to skip until you disconnect it and restart. If you're on Pro it will have an option to skip making a MS account. The drivers thing is not really a big deal since while it may fetch the windows store drivers you can just install the manufacturer's ones later. Ideally the windows update/store drivers should be in parity with the manufacturer's current release drivers but that's often not the case.

Also if you have more than one disk in the system it's good to disconnect the extra disks for the initial install because windows likes to put its bootloader wherever the hell it can, often on a storage disk which causes problems later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Hi, I was considering whether to buy a completely new PC or just upgrade some elements of my current PC but I don't really have any concept of how obsolete any of my hardware is these days. Here's what I have now:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 @ 3.30GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 20 GB

Can you tell me what the weakest links are, if any of these are clearly obsolete, and if any of these are worth keeping around?

I'm doing mainly gaming with my PC and am having trouble with new games chugging real bad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sadly you're (e: probably) in new PC territory. GN Steve made a video about your card not long ago, and it's just not able to handle gaming in 2021 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLlHU_z55U

Your ten-year-old chip is cut from that same cloth. Fantastic for its time, but that time has passed. By all means do try a new video card in your existing machine first (with the corresponding power supply upgrade), just don't expect it to solve your problem all the way.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 12, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ika posted:

1: From what I have seen they are fairly similar, with ryzens having a lower power draw. However here its not resellers but the retailers themselves scalping the ryzen prices - 5900X is 800 euros, twice the price of the 11700K. 5800X is fairly comparable in price, but the new socket means I need to also buy a new CPU waterblock vs. reusing my current one. I'm waiting one more week to see what happens with 5800X and 11700K prices - will doublecheck benchmarks though to see if I misremembered.

2: I thought 4000 was good for ryzens because you then have a 2:1 ratio on the clock, and gives a bigger bump than 3600? But quadrank vs dualrank was detrimental? Maybe I am misremembering from the AMD thread a month or two back - but since this kit is same price/GB as the 3600 kits I could also run it at 3600.
(Edit: Turns out I misremembered and it is 3600 - so if I want to go with 64gb, I can save money by getting a DDR4-3600 kit, if I want to stick with 128gb, underclocking this kit is still cheaper than going with a 128gb or 2 64gb DDR-3600 kit[s])

3: I am currently running 32gb and definitely want at least 64gb. 128 is a bit over the top, the extra 64 is mostly futureproofing aud cause "gently caress it why not".

4: I meant 3200 or 3600, not a mix.

A 5900x will loving smoke the 11700k in most situations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can you tell me what the weakest links are, if any of these are clearly obsolete, and if any of these are worth keeping around?

I agree that it's looking like whole new PC time. I'd suggest looking at prebuilt machines just because getting a GPU normally for not complete ripoff prices is next to impossible right now.

If you do get extremely lucky and score a GPU for a not insane price, by all means toss it in and see how it goes, but your CPU is absolutely old/slow enough that it'll bottleneck any of the current generation of GPUs.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

A 5900x will loving smoke the 11700k in most situations.

I would hope so at twice the price, but the question is will a 5800X that is only slightly more expensive than an i7 11700K also smoke it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ika posted:

I would hope so at twice the price, but the question is will a 5800X that is only slightly more expensive than an i7 11700K also smoke it.

Yes. In his review, Steve called the 11700 a “waste of sand”

https://youtu.be/3n0_UcBxnpk

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes. In his review, Steve called the 11700 a “waste of sand”

https://youtu.be/3n0_UcBxnpk

I thought that was the i9 11900k? Will look at AM4 boards tonight, see if I find one that has all the ports I need.

Ika fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 12, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ika posted:

I thought that was the i9 11900k? Will look at AM4 boards tonight, see if I find one that has all the ports I need.

The 11700k is a waste of sand.

The 11900k is worse than a waste of sand. In some of their test cases it straight up lost to the 10900K.

5800x is the better buy here. For productivity the 5900x is probably worth it if you can find a non scalp price

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also where I am in the EU the 5800x seems to be readily available now for ~€420, down from the RRP of €450 which helps rebalance the value of it somewhat, especially given the 5600x is still being sold for closer to €350 at most places.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The 11700k is a waste of sand.

The 11900k is worse than a waste of sand. In some of their test cases it straight up lost to the 10900K.

5800x is the better buy here. For productivity the 5900x is probably worth it if you can find a non scalp price

I thought about upgrading to the 11900k from my 10900KF but everything I read makes it seem like it’s a downgrade, if anything, and would be a nightmare to manage thermals with.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Flavius Aetass posted:

Hi, I was considering whether to buy a completely new PC or just upgrade some elements of my current PC but I don't really have any concept of how obsolete any of my hardware is these days. Here's what I have now:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 @ 3.30GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 20 GB

I'm doing mainly gaming with my PC and am having trouble with new games chugging real bad.

What games are you trying to play? I also have a 970 I was in somewhat of a similar boat. Going from an i5-6500 to a 5600x did alleviate some of my gaming issues, as I was getting CPU bottlenecked but its still a 970 after all.

Now I just get GPU bottlenecked :shobon:

Harlock fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 12, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have an i5 from 8 years ago and a 970 and this shortage is loving infuriating.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

I have an i5 from 8 years ago and a 970 and this shortage is loving infuriating.

We all have the same compy lol. Rip the old part picker list.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I loved that list. Miss having an up to date one instead of reading the last ten pages of the thread to see what’s being recommended.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah I loved that list. Miss having an up to date one instead of reading the last ten pages of the thread to see what’s being recommended.

both chip makers and both GPU makers are competitive now, and you can only buy a tiny fraction of some of them (if at all). much more of a minefield for recommendations compared to the old days.

like, my personal recommendations would be pretty close to my current rig - a 3300X, a 3070, either a b450 or b550 board and at least 16 gigs of 3000mhz (or higher) memory. you can't buy that chip or card anymore though, because they released in the last year and were popular and as such can't be found anywhere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DamnGlitch posted:

Make an effort post and self report it so a mod can copy it into the op?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

M_Gargantua posted:

Yup, this works! Or you can PM me or movax. I don't always read every post of this thread, but I try to hang out. Updates to OPs are always appreciated!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think the list just became perusing https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ and looking for your money level lol

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CoolCab posted:

both chip makers and both GPU makers are competitive now, and you can only buy a tiny fraction of some of them (if at all). much more of a minefield for recommendations compared to the old days.

Having not posted during the old days, was it really more cut and dry than now? For the last few months I've almost been worried about how repetitive my recommendations have been but that's because (assuming things are in stock) the best value parts were pretty much:

CPU: 3600 or 5600x, unless specific workloads with higher core counts are required
GPU: best RTX 30 series you can afford
MOBO: B550 with whatever I/O you need
RAM: 16 or 32GB of 3200/3600 CL16 RAM
STORAGE: SN550
PSU: Take your PCPP predicted wattage, add 50% then get a gold rated one from a trusted brand
CASE: whatever floats your boat

It's only with the 11400F that the low/midrange has seen some recent shakeup, along with the GPU insanity stopping it from being a very easy 6 months of decision making

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That assumption still holds, I think, with an asterisk for people who could buy a Radeon card, and who also know the reasons not to buy a Radeon card don't apply to them

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

My poo poo is old, I don’t know what’s up unless you want me to recommend the perfect midrange build from 2015.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought about upgrading to the 11900k from my 10900KF but everything I read makes it seem like it’s a downgrade, if anything, and would be a nightmare to manage thermals with.

Yeah, if you're already on a 10900KF just stick with that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

crepeface posted:

So, since I spent like a week researching gaming PC parts and I saw a few builds/questions about essentially what I put together, here's my template to get started on researching a gaming PC build. Availability and performance per price is going to depend on local fluctuation, so adjust for that. Put your build into PCPartpicker and they'll usually pick up any incompatibilities. Feel free to ignore/yell at me for my choices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Zen 3 series. 5600x is the sweet spot (esp. for gaming), 5900x for high end. 5800x has worse value, but is still really good. Intel CPUs are basically DoA for a few generations.
CPU Cooler: 5600x comes with a Wraith Stealth, but reports are that it's loud if you're stressing it. IMO, AIO water cooling isn't worth it, just get a decent air cooler.
Video Card: RTX 3060, 3060ti, 3070, 3080, 3090 are what you want. Radeon 6000 series is okay if you're willing to forgo raytracing and DLSS. If you're desperate enough, you can go for a last gen RTX (2080 super or something). Price per frame benchmark video here but just get whatever you can find.
Motherboard: Trickiest part. General rule is don't get a higher model board (like a X570) if it means you're getting the shittiest one of that type. Spreadsheets comparison here: (1) and (2). Make sure it has all the features you want (like number of USB slots, Wifi, PCI slots if you got a bunch of harddrives, etc.) You don't need anything higher than 1GB Lan unless you're running a local minecraft server maybe? IDK. You may have to update your motherboard to support the Zen 3 CPU.
  1. b450 - older budget board that work, but you're limited to PCIe 3.0. However, benchmarks (1) (2) seem to indicate it won't bottle neck your video card or SSD much if at all (for now).
  2. b550 - generally what every one gets. Recommended models to research are:
    • ASRock B550M Steel Legend
    • MSI B550-A Pro
    • ASRock B550 Pro4
    • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
    • MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
  3. See corrections below. x570 - mostly for future proofing or if you can get a good deal. I didn't look at this much.
Memory: This is an easy place to fall into a rabbit hole. tl;dr: 16GB 3200Mhz CL14 or 3600Mhz CL16 DDR4 and check if your motherboard supports it (it should). It's unclear whether RAM speed matters much past a certain point due to the *~Infinity Fabric~* on the CPU and how matching speeds in XMP gives a small benefit. IMO, anything in the range of 3000-4000MHz or CL 12-18 (lower is better) is fine (as long as you don't get the slow end of both). The equation to figure out how (for example) 3000Mhz CL14 compares to 4000Mhz CL20:
code:
1/((RAMspeed/2)/1000) x CL = True Latency in nanoseconds
There's also some evidence that "dual rank" RAM (more common in 2x16GB configs) can give a small performance boost (1)(2), but manufacturers usually don't include this in spec sheets. You can get the same effect if you get a 4 stick config instead of 2 sticks but from reddit threads, it seems like a crap shoot about what you get. Some ordered two sticks and received a single rank and a dual rank. If you're set on dual rank, the easiest way is to get 4x8GB of single rank for 32GB RAM and as a bonus you'll be able to open more than 7 chrome tabs at once.
Storage: SSD for OS and games. Differences between SATA and faster PCIe/NVMe seem to be pretty negligible or outright unnoticeable in loading games. However, the WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 is recommended just because it happens to hit a sweet spot for performance per price, big file transfers and future proofing. If you need to chose, I'd go for size (500GB+ IMO) rather than speed. If you do get a SATA SSD, make sure it has a DRAM cache.
Storage: Some kind of traditional disk drive for everything else. I didn't look at this in-depth, I just got a basic 4 TB with a RAM cache. If you're worried about losing data, get something with a good warranty. I'd use some kind of cloud back up or RAID in that case though.
Case: Mesh cases can be as quiet/quieter than closed cases because your CPU/GPU/case fans don't need to spin as hard. An intake fan at the front and an exhaust at the back gets you most of the cooling you need, factor these into your cost if the case doesn't come with them. IMO, get a case with the fans included unless you're in love with a particular case since it's usually cheaper/easier. Everyone seems to love Lian Li Lancool line. Fractal are also recommended. Comedy option
Power Supply: 650w-850w. Generally just get whatever your video card recommends.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Couple changes/additions/clarifications for people reading along:
Good inexpensive air coolers: Scythe Fuma/Mugen, Arctic Freezer 34. The Cooler Master 212 Evo is harder to install and basically costs the same amount of money.
Motherboard: There's really no point to X570 over B550 unless you have much greater I/O requirements than a B550 board will support. If you're not sure about this, you don't need an X570 board. It's not future proofing in any way to buy an X570 and most of them have chipset fans, which annoy people. Get a B550 board.
PSU: You should get at minimum a bronze rated PSU from a decently reputable manufacturer with a long warranty.

Thanks for these. Looking at the OP, there's no really a current "hey here's a good build to start with" type post in there. What do you all think, edit it in in the 1st post or 2nd post and try to keep it up to date as things change? My initial thoughts on OPs was to keep things as generic as possible so they were less susceptible to going out of date, but this is also a popular thread and I'm sure we'd find people willing to update it using the same format over time. Thoughts?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yup, this works! Or you can PM me or movax. I don't always read every post of this thread, but I try to hang out. Updates to OPs are always appreciated!

I'm still here, I just don't follow pc parts much anymore so I'm not up to date on recommendations. If someone is willing to keep a list updated I'm more than happy to put it in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I'm still here, I just don't follow pc parts much anymore so I'm not up to date on recommendations. If someone is willing to keep a list updated I'm more than happy to put it in.

Awesome! Thank you. Was going to check on that before I did anything. Seems like it might be worth it, with a date or something, and you/we can just keep it updated as necessary. Happy to hear other thoughts if folks feel differently.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I built a new PC for myself in September of last year and bought an EVGA 2080 with the step-up option. EVGA just contacted me to say that my step-up is going forward, which would get me one of the 3080 FTWs that they came out with around that time.

Mainly because I am lazy and don't want to deal with the shipping right now, I wanted to ask: is still a good idea to do this upgrade right now, or has it been so long that there are newer/cheaper/better 30XX-type cards coming out and I should just get one of those when they are available?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bofast posted:

Yeah, if you're already on a 10900KF just stick with that.

CPU upgrades are so marginal from one generation to the next these days anyway I was mostly just going to do it because I like digging around in my computer, but holy poo poo did Intel drop the ball on that one.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Badger of Basra posted:

I built a new PC for myself in September of last year and bought an EVGA 2080 with the step-up option. EVGA just contacted me to say that my step-up is going forward, which would get me one of the 3080 FTWs that they came out with around that time.

Mainly because I am lazy and don't want to deal with the shipping right now, I wanted to ask: is still a good idea to do this upgrade right now, or has it been so long that there are newer/cheaper/better 30XX-type cards coming out and I should just get one of those when they are available?

your window with the step up program is hours, it might have already passed. depending on what you pay for it EVGA are offering you a paycheque here - there are no more modern cards right now other than the 3090.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Jesus christ get that 3080, you've evidently been asleep for the last 5 months because they're pure unobtanium and are selling for north of $2k on ebay

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I just recently ordered this prebuilt from Bestbuy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6455823 . I'm not super happy buying a prebuilt pc instead of building myself as I would normally do, but given the availability of parts thus far this year I've decided to just go with this one. I am set to pick it up later this week.

Reading some of the reviews, it looks like some people have had issues with the cpu throttling due to poor cooling. The case only comes with 1 fan and the cpu just has the stock cooler. The case is apparently thin and somewhat cramped, so I'm not sure what cooling solutions I can fit inside. Apparently the 11700KF version of this only has a 92mm cpu cooler.This is a picture of the inside someone else posted.

https://imgur.com/a/td14GBc

Any suggestions for a CPU cooler that might fit inside this thing?

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 12, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
am i reading it correctly that there's only the one 92mm exhaust or intake, or are there some fans hiding in the front panel, sorry?

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Correct, there is only 1 case fan, no intake or front panel fans, along with the stock cpu cooler.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I would personally buy another case and *possibly* another PSU once you pull it all out. Match that with a cheap ~$20-30 aftermarket CPU cooler and you have yourself a nice PC.

3070's are still going for $1300 aftermarket which is insane. And the motherboard they put in there seems good?

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 12, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Syle187 posted:

Correct, there is only 1 case fan, no intake or front panel fans, along with the stock cpu cooler.

nowhere near enough for that quantity of equipment imo. see where fans can be fit (if anywhere) at the front and top of the case, most likely four screw holes, buy a packet of cheap 120mm (a five pack of arctic f12 fans and a hub if you don't have the spare motherboard chassis fan headers) probably be where i start - replacing the cooler before addressing the airflow doesn't make much sense unless you wanted to go for an AIO with a radiator.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

your window with the step up program is hours, it might have already passed. depending on what you pay for it EVGA are offering you a paycheque here - there are no more modern cards right now other than the 3090.

It hasn’t happened yet, they sent me the email telling me they were reviewing my invoice before they told me how much I would have to pay. But good to know!

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I would personally buy another case and *possibly* another PSU once you pull it all out. Match that with a cheap ~$20-30 aftermarket CPU cooler and you have yourself a nice PC.

3070's are still going for $1300 aftermarket which is insane. And the motherboard they put in there seems good?

Yeah, the components seem solid, which is one of the reasons I went with it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the case, but we'll see. That does solve most of the problems though.

CoolCab posted:

nowhere near enough for that quantity of equipment imo. see where fans can be fit (if anywhere) at the front and top of the case, most likely four screw holes, buy a packet of cheap 120mm (a five pack of arctic f12 fans and a hub if you don't have the spare motherboard chassis fan headers) probably be where i start - replacing the cooler before addressing the airflow doesn't make much sense unless you wanted to go for an AIO with a radiator.

Solid advice, I'll see what I can fit in the case when I get it. I was considering an AIO but I wasn't sure it would fit.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Replaced fans on my month-old build, then spent 10 minutes trying to figure out why that stopped it from booting. Took me too long to notice CPU connector had come loose at the PSU side, hidden by the shroud :doh:

yes i fixed it shuttup

The 5600X idles at 60* and games at 90* which is.... alright according to some dubious internet threads. Fuma 2 to the rescue!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Syle187 posted:

Yeah, the components seem solid, which is one of the reasons I went with it. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the case, but we'll see. That does solve most of the problems though.

Solid advice, I'll see what I can fit in the case when I get it. I was considering an AIO but I wasn't sure it would fit.

I agree on replacing the case. A meshify C would be a huge upgrade and is only $98 shippped:
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-c-dark-tg-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Now looking at pre-builts. Every place seems to have its own quirks. Falcon Northwest is insanely expensive (as expected) and apparently requires you to go water cooled. Found Origin PC, seemed a little more reasonable and claims they can get a 3080 having system out in a month. Specced a system out there:

Origin PC posted:

Case : Corsair 4000X
Exterior Color : Black
Interior Lighting : iCUE RGB with CORSAIR NODE PRO
Current Special Offer : Free US Ground Shipping $50 value
Processors : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
Memory : 32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3000MHz (2x16GB)
System Cooling : Corsair A500 Air Cooler (Fans matched w/ System Fans)
System Fans : CORSAIR SP120 PRO Performance iCUE RGB controlled by iCUE software
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 10GB GeForce RTX 3080
Operating System : MS Windows 10 Home
Operating System Drive : CORSAIR 1TB MP600 Gen4
RAID : No RAID
Power Supply : CORSAIR 750 RMx SERIES PLUS GOLD
Power Supply Sleeved Cable : No Sleeved Cable
Audio : Integrated High-Definition Audio
Networking : Onboard Network Port
The ORIGIN Difference : The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
24/7 U.S Based Warranty : 1 Year Part Replacement with 45 Day Free Shipping

$3,169 USD before shipping/tax

Besides RGBing it up a bit, tell them where I'm going wrong in general.

A couple weird quirks for Origin:

The only NVMe options are Corsair MP510 / MP 600, or Samsung 970 EVO / 980 EVO. From the thread, I know not to pay the Samsung tax, but when I was planning to build myself, I was going to get the Western Digital. Are Corsair SSDs ok, or should I get the Samsung afterall?

The RAM options are stranger. I'd like to get some RGB RAM this go around, but they don't offer the cheaper (Vengeance rgb pro) 3200mhz rgb ram in 16GB or even 32GB. I assume that's because it's the most popular with people that order RGB nightmares from places like Originpc.com and they are putting the screws to the consumer like everyone else. The more expensive (Dominator) rgb RAM would be an option, except if you select it, it automatically switches the build to water cooling and won't let you switch back. I assume that RAM is taller and would be blocked by the air cooler. I've got the 3000mhz cheaper rgb RAM selected right now as a placeholder. Is 3000mhz RAM going to suck?

Also, they have an option that for 80 bucks they'll put your computer in a wooden box for shipping? Is that necessary? Should I be factoring that in as well? If the UPS guy throws my computer down the stairs on the way to me, is Origin planning to stick that on me?

Thanks for the help.