Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You just spoiled a major part of the last of us 2! Not that it matters because if having that spoiler unknown is even 1% of your enjoyment yer a melt mate

that's why it's in a spoiler tag :rolleye:
although doesn't it happen super early in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

signalnoise posted:

The most irrelevant statement in this whole thread. People buying VR systems are not reasonable.

It was a 300 quid Xmas present from my wife. It doesn’t require a degree in quantum physics and neckbearding these days. It doesn’t even need a PC

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sadly Facebook bought up the one company making decent 300 dollar headsets and now you can't use them without linking your facebook account so Zuck can stalk you irl

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

that's why it's in a spoiler tag :rolleye:
although doesn't it happen super early in the game?

Oh sorry lol i didn't mean to me a little bitch i just get uncontrollably enranged at enjoyment being tied to spoilers

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tlou 2 might be a good game or it might be bad but all I know is that it was an aggressively grim melodrama that made me roll my eyes for two hours before I returned it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

Tlou 2 might be a good game or it might be bad but all I know is that it was an aggressively grim melodrama that made me roll my eyes for two hours before I returned it

Video games that think they are movies are the most life sappingly tedious genre in the entire industry

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I agree with Tim Rogers: “The Last of Us is a good game by default.”

itry
Aug 23, 2019

smellmycheese posted:

Video games that think they are movies are the most life sappingly tedious genre in the entire industry

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh sorry lol i didn't mean to me a little bitch i just get uncontrollably enranged at enjoyment being tied to spoilers

its nice to see a story in the order in which its told, that's why stories are told in a certain order

its not like it ruins the story completely but its nice for surprises to happen and for stories to have build up and suspense which can both be ruined by spoilers

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I still maintain that Sam & Max games with Telltale would have been better off keeping the "crime of the week"-format with some overarching background story resolved in a season finisher aping off the pulp crime stories and 70's police series they were parody off, instead of going "all season stories".

The single story episodes would have had better staying power at the markets, and you could have produced new ones every now and then, or even outsourced new stories to smaller companies.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

its nice to see a story in the order in which its told, that's why stories are told in a certain order

its not like it ruins the story completely but its nice for surprises to happen and for stories to have build up and suspense which can both be ruined by spoilers

Firstly Caesar I enjoy your posting style, its very whimsical and uncaring and the thread needs more of it.

But you will never change my opinion, spoiler culture is the whiniest culture out there and if you need to go into something with a clean slate to enjoy anything I'm sure you'd be better suited to the 1970s than the 2020s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

I still maintain that Sam & Max games with Telltale would have been better off keeping the "crime of the week"-format with some overarching background story resolved in a season finisher aping off the pulp crime stories and 70's police series they were parody off, instead of going "all season stories".

The single story episodes would have had better staying power at the markets, and you could have produced new ones every now and then, or even outsourced new stories to smaller companies.

Agreed, but their business model hinged on being able to recycle stuff between episodes. Remember how they used the same jungle maze in three episodes of Tales of Monkey Island?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Watching LPs is fine.
Watching streamers is fine.
Easy mode is fine.
This thread sucks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ErrEff posted:

Agreed, but their business model hinged on being able to recycle stuff between episodes. Remember how they used the same jungle maze in three episodes of Tales of Monkey Island?

Yeah, doing that crime of the week would have meant that they actually have to use money to produce content instead of hogging high-value IPR and doing some bullshit "sort-of"-adventure game with it. So not the Telltale-strategy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

smellmycheese posted:

It was a 300 quid Xmas present from my wife. It doesn’t require a degree in quantum physics and neckbearding these days. It doesn’t even need a PC

Dude it's okay to not be a reasonable person. I'm on your team here

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Watching LPs is fine.
Watching streamers is fine.
Easy mode is fine.
This thread sucks.

Stop trying to be the voice of reason Waltzing Along we're all mad about video games and the surrounding culture here!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The funniest thing ever is still Viewtiful Joe calling easy mode "kids mode."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Stop trying to be the voice of reason Waltzing Along we're all mad about video games and the surrounding culture here!

It's not even bad opinions that make the thread bad, it's people making hosed up value judgments about the people who like things and saying poo poo that is just straight up insults about liking things. At some point this thread had a sort of self-deprecating vibe with people commiserating about the poo poo they like that other people don't, or saying they don't like a thing people do tend to like, and sometimes they'd even say why they like or don't like those things while others jokingly jump on them for it. Now it's people just saying whatever hot take they can think of to say that other people who like or don't like something are dumb as poo poo and terrible, and that if you like or don't like that thing it means you are flawed as a person

It's really gross and especially when it comes to talking about the industry itself people say some really nasty poo poo that is not interesting or funny to talk about unless your mindset is just geared toward setting up dunks on imaginary targets

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man they really need to release Viewtiful Joe on PC or hell on Switch, I'll buy it again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

signalnoise posted:

It's not even bad opinions that make the thread bad, it's people making hosed up value judgments about the people who like things and saying poo poo that is just straight up insults about liking things. At some point this thread had a sort of self-deprecating vibe with people commiserating about the poo poo they like that other people don't, or saying they don't like a thing people do tend to like, and sometimes they'd even say why they like or don't like those things while others jokingly jump on them for it. Now it's people just saying whatever hot take they can think of to say that other people who like or don't like something are dumb as poo poo and terrible, and that if you like or don't like that thing it means you are flawed as a person

It's really gross and especially when it comes to talking about the industry itself people say some really nasty poo poo that is not interesting or funny to talk about unless your mindset is just geared toward setting up dunks on imaginary targets

i agree its just not good reading when people get overly personal and insulting but i also hate drive by "this game sucks" without at least a reasoned explanation.

I think we are all here because we enjoy hot takes on videogames and the thread never really boils over into anything dramatic.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I agree about spoiler culture being stupid. Especially when it comes to video games. The best part of a video game should be the bit where you're playing a game. Not that games cant have good or interesting stories but if you're whole thing relies on some super crazy twist and is ruined by knowing about it before hand then its probably poo poo to begin with

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i agree its just not good reading when people get overly personal and insulting but i also hate drive by "this game sucks" without at least a reasoned explanation.

I think we are all here because we enjoy hot takes on videogames and the thread never really boils over into anything dramatic.

Oh, do you

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Well gosh I stir poo poo in this thread a lot and now I feel kind of bad :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

vr is a really fun toy if you can get a headset for super cheap/used or something, i've been skeptical of VR for ages and ages and ages but it really does seem like adoption is finally reaching a tipping point where we'll start to see more really cool VR games

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I hold firmly to my belief that VR can be a cool thing to use as a separate thing for multiple screens where you use a normal monitor for one kind of play but put on some goggles to see a different world like the Shadowrun matrix or even just having it be like a They Live scenario. Have the act of putting on or taking off the headset be part of the gameplay

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

signalnoise posted:

I hold firmly to my belief that VR can be a cool thing to use as a separate thing for multiple screens where you use a normal monitor for one kind of play but put on some goggles to see a different world like the Shadowrun matrix or even just having it be like a They Live scenario. Have the act of putting on or taking off the headset be part of the gameplay

I think this is where the tech is at currently. We are still far away from full VR actually being viable beyond white knighting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

These "desktop dancer" apps are getting out of hand who the gently caress is buying this poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

These "desktop dancer" apps are getting out of hand who the gently caress is buying this poo poo

Should be an anime girl, imo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

Should be an anime girl, imo.

It is

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
In regards to vr just headtracking is enough of a novelty for me with other inputs being traditional, there was a low rent mod of alien isolation that didn't add any gesture functions and I could play it for hours like anything 2d, whereas Alyx had me wanting to take a break every 20 minutes, maybe that'd change with a wireless set.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's required to get your recipes indexed properly by google afaik. Get the recipe filter browser extension

E: the recipe essays from the last page, that is

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 12, 2021

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

drat I missed all the hilarious Very Goon opinions on twitch and video games streaming

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I'll tell you what VR is awesome for though: Racing sims. With a cockpit and a headset it's amazingly immersive and the 3d effect actually makes it easier to hit braking points etc.

It'll be about 5 years before I can afford a VR capable graphics card though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I'll tell you what VR is awesome for though: Racing sims. With a cockpit and a headset it's amazingly immersive and the 3d effect actually makes it easier to hit braking points etc.

It'll be about 5 years before I can afford a VR capable graphics card though.

Yeah, vr is essentially already there for anything cockpit based, if you can afford the hardware. And good enough hardware is not that expensive anymore. E: current gpu situation aside

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 12, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I played quite a bit of Outriders this weekend, that game is actually pretty good. The powers are all fun and interesting to use, the challenge is set at a good level where I can occasionally die a few times on a particularly hard area but can come back and beat it with more care and better tactics. Backstory and world is pretty strong and the story is surprisingly good for a looter shooter.

veni veni veni posted:

I still can't wrap my head around how people will just sit down and watch people play video games for hours, especially to the point where it's become a lucrative industry. I know I'm just old but I think it's loving mental. Watching other people play games sucks poo poo.

:emptyquote:

I'm not making any value judgements on people liking it, I just don't and can't imagine myself ever doing so. The comparison to watching professional sports was pretty lol too, if anything compare it to watching a comedy routine or something (a bad one).

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao it wasn't even a game.

Depends on if you consider visual novels to be games. Which, if pressed, I probably wouldn't but I'm sure someone will tell me why I am wrong.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Can't you even press a button on the new diablo and have it flicker back to the old graphics?

Also new Age of Empires 4 footage looks like poo poo, it looks like a phone game.

I don't even think the new graphics look genuinely better. I kind of always liked the partially flat-looking, three-quarters isometric look with art in place of 3d models. The new one looks fine, I don't hate it, but it doesn't really add much at all afaict.

Speaking of games like Diablo (clicky looters I call them), the Slormancer is actually pretty good, or at least has a good base. Needs more enemies (so far I've basically only seen three types, and then two more are just larger, superpowered versions of the others) and more variety but the idea to make a fully pixel art Diablo clone with all the cool skills and upgrades was a really good one. It's still in early access so I'm sure plenty of work is still to be done on it but what it has already is a good base to work from.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

drat I missed all the hilarious Very Goon opinions on twitch and video games streaming

I find it more alarming that SA Goons immediately agreed on the Sam&Max crime of the week -thing because for years I was the only person who tried speak reason to the crowd of "no the season long stories are more intriguing and in-depth even though it is the same horse they keep beating for the 6 or so episodes". Because Telltale had shortages of resources, you see, and they had to prioritize you see.

And then they bought what, Wallace and Gromit, Jurassic Park, Batman, Walking Dead (when it was red-hot), Gearbox IPR and other poo poo to make non-starters with.

They basically got the LucasArts Adventures IPR for pocket exchange and did diddly poo poo with it, and the only IPR they did use for anything else than to keep the claim they changed it to something it wasn't meant for. Even the S&M comics were always absurdist riffs of detective noir/bulk crime stuff before they went 100% LucasArts showcase stuff. Because at the time they had a copyright to every and all of the stuff their home studio had.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 12, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I still can't wrap my head around how people will just sit down and watch people play video games for hours, especially to the point where it's become a lucrative industry. I know I'm just old but I think it's loving mental. Watching other people play games sucks poo poo.

It's the same as watching sports for hours, really. Utterly degenerate is what I'm saying.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

poverty goat posted:

It's the same as watching sports for hours, really. Utterly degenerate is what I'm saying.

Minus the fun and excitement, sure. The actual comparison would be watching someone play NBA 2k vs watching actual professionals play basketball. Pretty clear which one is best, at least for me.

The chaos, randomness and intricacy of real-life physics, plus the investment in individual players who are actually humans with all of the complexity implied by that, makes it fun. Video games don't have that, they are repetitive and only allow very specific things to occur. The only interesting aspect is the person playing, which is why a better comparison for streaming than sports is a performance routine of sorts, maybe a comedy routine.

For me video games are nearly too boring to play, which is why I hardly ever finish them. Watching someone else play them is entirely out of the question I'm afraid, for that reason.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

There's no greater celebration of human idleness and wasted life than spectator golf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Play posted:

The chaos, randomness and intricacy of real-life physics, plus the investment in individual players who are actually humans with all of the complexity implied by that, makes it fun.

Rocket League has this.