Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

He got kicked out for underage drinking. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1381272893389168640

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yang's only good tweet, honestly. Companies are not our friends.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DoctorWhat posted:

Yang's only good tweet, honestly. Companies are not our friends.

Companies are totally not our friends. What Yang is actually objecting to if, if you read his points, having online meetings at all. Many of the points he gives apply to any meeting; others apply to any electronic communication ("lengthening the workday"), and the whole drat thing ignores disability.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah Yang's wrong as hell, working from home owns

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Andrew Yang is not your friend.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Unless you have a friend called Andrew Yang, in which case the other Andrew Yang is not your friend.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's the Harvard part that bothers me.

So many loving idiots have graduated from Harvard. They want you to think it's special when the only advantages it gives is connections you make there with the scions of the rich and powerful and being able to say "I went to Harvard."

She's probably not even in the dumber half of her particular class, since however inane the subject matter was it 3xplained the subject clearly and succinctly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys, I hate to be that person but what's a "Nerf"?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

It originally meant making something in a game less powerful, e.g. changing a gun to do 4 damage every shot rather than 5. For the last couple years people have been using it to describe cosmetic changes they don't like. Often things like shrinking a character's breasts or having a female character wear less revealing clothing.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Madkal posted:

In video game terms it's when something has been made less effective, weaker. "oh man that Mortal Strike nerf has reduced it's damage by 20%"

The opposite of a Buff!

That was the nerdiest thing I've written in a while.

Edit: fwiw I've never seen it being used for anything cosmetic before.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Madkal posted:

In games it's the opposite of a buff. It usually means that a weapon, character, ability, whatever has been made mechanically less good by an update.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

In video games it's when they release a patch that makes a character/ weapon/ability less powerful. They do it frequently for online games because you'll have dozens to hundreds of people testing a game before release then tens of thousands or more playing it, so the larger group will find niche strategies that are so good anyone not using them is significantly weaker.

If part of the hype for a game is a large variety of characters/weapons, having one be so much better than the others the vast majority of players are using it is bad for business.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The word does come from the Nerf brand though, specifically 'They reduced the damage on this gun so much they practically turned it into a Nerf gun!'

And then the term gets expanded to cover anything that is reduced or weakened in a way the players see as bad, like anime tiddies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

For the last couple years people have been using it to describe cosmetic changes they don't like. Often things like shrinking a character's breasts or having a female character wear less revealing clothing.

Roblo posted:

Edit: fwiw I've never seen it being used for anything cosmetic before.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And then the term gets expanded to cover anything that is reduced or weakened in a way the players see as bad, like anime tiddies.
I've seen plenty of weirdoes online complaining about cosmetic changes to characters like smaller boobs or "removing the vagina bones" but until now I'd never seen them use the term Nerf for it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Skwirl posted:

So many loving idiots have graduated from Harvard. They want you to think it's special when the only advantages it gives is connections you make there with the scions of the rich and powerful and being able to say "I went to Harvard."

She's probably not even in the dumber half of her particular class, since however inane the subject matter was it 3xplained the subject clearly and succinctly.

It's like that old joke, "What do you call the person who came in last in their class at medical school?" Except usually you need actual credentials to get into med school.

For a more relevant example: that goon who made the thread about walking across the US but gave up 2 days in because his clothes were too heavy graduated from Harvard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha holy poo poo I'd forgotten about that trainwreck.

"I'll just carry everything in a baby stroller"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I've seen plenty of weirdoes online complaining about cosmetic changes to characters like smaller boobs or "removing the vagina bones" but until now I'd never seen them use the term Nerf for it.
I think it's covering up intent, like most gamers understand nerf bad, and if you don't talk about what is being nerfed then you might get a few non insane people on side.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think it's covering up intent, like most gamers understand nerf bad, and if you don't talk about what is being nerfed then you might get a few non insane people on side.

Counterpoint, mini has found a I’m going storm the Chinese embassy over cartoon tits guy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing is, nerfing in the traditional sense isn't actually a bad thing inherently. I don't want to play an online game with dozens of options where it becomes impossible to compete unless you use the exact same thing as everyone else, and if you try and balance that out purely by making other options more powerful you eventually reach a point where it doesn't matter what you use in any way because it just becomes "whoever get's the first shot/spell/power activation off first wins."

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Idiots on Social Media: How dare the dev's nerf her breasts!?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Skwirl posted:

The thing is, nerfing in the traditional sense isn't actually a bad thing inherently. I don't want to play an online game with dozens of options where it becomes impossible to compete unless you use the exact same thing as everyone else, and if you try and balance that out purely by making other options more powerful you eventually reach a point where it doesn't matter what you use in any way because it just becomes "whoever get's the first shot/spell/power activation off first wins."
I agree with you completely that sometimes the right nerf can be a good thing. I guess I'm thinking of it more from the perspective of a disingenuous argument. Like when you get people arguing about free speech, and the importance of free speech, and then you dig a little deeper and found out which precise word they want to be able to say.

But they still hide what they know is an objectionable idea behind one that they know is more broadly likely to recieve support.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can we just come up with a technical term for 'guy over 40 who grooms women under 20' and be done with it? Like we don't jave to make it illegal, just generally acknowledged to be loving creepy.

I personally think it's valuable to keep calling them "pedophiles" because it makes a certain kind of person pop out of the woodwork to correct you, which is a valuable service. What value would be gained by having a term that doesn't make people tell on themselves as easily?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who cares about breasts when there are vagina bones disappearing?!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dare I ask what the gently caress vagina bones are?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Soylent Pudding posted:

They're kinda like cum gutters

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Soylent Pudding posted:

The creases on the hips leading down to the pelvic area but clumsily described by someone with no knowledge of anatomical terms.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

https://twitter.com/Sebban_E/status/731131432140210176?s=20

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I can't believe that tweet is still up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zakharov posted:

I can't believe that tweet is still up

Yeah, I assumed I'd have to find a screencap of it, but nope.

I made a screencap in case this new round of attention becomes the final straw.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

In this specific instance I think it's the example above, but in other usage; because the mons pubis juts out slightly, some artists draw a full on crotch bulge.

It's Tim Buckley. I'm talking about Tim Buckley.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That character is also a minor.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, everyone knows vagina bones don't grow until you're at least 25.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I made the mistake of clicking the "before" video link which I guess is there to show us what we're missing?

I regret it. anime was a mistake. Weebs are a mistake.

Also if you can still view a thing anytime you want it's not "censored" you pedo dipshit.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Madkal posted:

It's what people herd, apparently.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They have a Facebook page too but it's just boomer-tier cringe of photos of people giving the middle finger.

:hellyeah:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I personally think it's valuable to keep calling them "pedophiles" because it makes a certain kind of person pop out of the woodwork to correct you, which is a valuable service.

I still can't believe that a Transformers included a scene where characters discuss "Romeo and Juliet law", including carrying around an info card in his wallet, but here we are!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What Yang is actually objecting to if, if you read his points, having online meetings at all. Many of the points he gives apply to any meeting; others apply to any electronic communication ("lengthening the workday"), and the whole drat thing ignores disability.

I can't remember what PYF thread it was (PYF companies circling the drain?) but I was reading through the thread and there was some post from ~2016 or so where a manager goon was saying that they don't allow working from home for various reasons. I'm wondering how they handled the pandemic...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Native Americans just sprouted up out of the soil I guess.

Note: Matt Gaetz is now apparently on a retweet streak of any post that calls his pedophilia fake. This includes luminaries of thought like Glenn Greenwald and Harlan "Pissguzzler" Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh no now that means CSPAM has to like Matt Gaetz