Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Are there drivers I have to look for? PS4 controllers appeal to me since I have a couple of them

Edit: I've never used apple arcade but I have it with the package deal on apple's services so hey.

It just auto pairs and works right out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah dang that makes poo poo easy. Thanks!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Are there drivers I have to look for? PS4 controllers appeal to me since I have a couple of them

Edit: I've never used apple arcade but I have it with the package deal on apple's services so hey.

Nope, most wireless controllers are built into Apple devices. Personally I like the 8bitdo controllers, and they have a new version of their Pro controller with a format switch and rear macro buttons coming out at the end of the month. I've heard they're iffy with iOS and Apple TV, but specifically have MacOS support. No reason if you already have some Dual Shocks lying around though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

njsykora posted:

Nope, most wireless controllers are built into Apple devices. Personally I like the 8bitdo controllers, and they have a new version of their Pro controller with a format switch and rear macro buttons coming out at the end of the month. I've heard they're iffy with iOS and Apple TV, but specifically have MacOS support. No reason if you already have some Dual Shocks lying around though.

Thanks for this as well, more options are always better! Too bad about so-so iOS though.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It just connects via Bluetooth. At least the Xbox controller does. There’s nothing special to get it to work.

Edit. Beaten.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I know that no one cares about these posts but man, the Air M1... this is my first MacBook (owned other macs tho) since I got my first Mac, a MBP back around launch. 2006ish? I loved that computer to death and this new Air blows my mind. It’s a dream come true. I can’t believe I own a loving fanless super lightweight computer than just blasts through every single piece of software or game I’ve thrown at it. I’m also usually someone who overthinks charging and batteries and such but I literally can’t care with this. It lasts for days of use and is screwing up my desire to pointlessly worry about everything!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's been a bit, but I swear I just had to install the software needed to stream my PS4 to my MacBook. There's more about that here: https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html

Otherwise, it looks like you might be able to do it within the Bluetooth Preferences pane: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/u...tooth%20window.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

serebralassazin posted:

Yea, if you read a decent amount on your computer investing in a 4K monitor is worth it. Text looks way better.

This is true, but to make it comparable to apple retina, you need a 24 inch monitor. 27 4K is much more popular, but it will look fuzzy (text at close anyway) compared to apple laptop screens. 27 for that level of clarity needs 5K screens. It's why my iMac has "ruined" me looking at regular 4K big monitors for my writing work. Even just typing in Scrivener looks so much sharper on my iMac. I just wish more companies made 5K monitors that were of good quality that weren't super expensive.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

LionArcher posted:

This is true, but to make it comparable to apple retina, you need a 24 inch monitor. 27 4K is much more popular, but it will look fuzzy (text at close anyway) compared to apple laptop screens. 27 for that level of clarity needs 5K screens. It's why my iMac has "ruined" me looking at regular 4K big monitors for my writing work. Even just typing in Scrivener looks so much sharper on my iMac. I just wish more companies made 5K monitors that were of good quality that weren't super expensive.

Yea, I upgraded to a 27 inch 4K and while it is noticeably better than my 27 inch 1440p from years ago, it still gets beat by a retina screen.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm curious which you guys will think will be a better video editing machine ignoring the form factor:

A 2015 quad core 15inch retina with the 2gb Nvidia GPU

Or

A 2020 quad core 13inch intel with integrated Iris Pro GPU

EDIT: I think this answers my question: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-750M-vs-Intel-Iris-Plus-G7/m7928vsm888370

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 12, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LionArcher posted:

:eng101: actually you would need 4K @ 21”, like the 4K iMac

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

:eng101: actually you would need 4K @ 21”, like the 4K iMac

Oh Word? I thought the $300 LG 24 inch was a perfect pixel ration to the 13 inch MacBook Pro. drat it. In other news my fusion drive 27 inch iMac 5k (late 2015) is having directory issues but since it's on Big Sur holy poo poo running diskwarrior correctly on it is a major pain in my rear end. It's what I've been doing (and trying to make a bootable clone all afternoon. I think I've managed with Carbon Copy Cloner but if anything is making me want to upgrade faster to M silicon, it's this poo poo. Also apple needs to make Super duper and Carbon cloner okay to make bootable drives instead of pains in the rear end.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ziploc posted:

I'm curious which you guys will think will be a better video editing machine ignoring the form factor:

A 2015 quad core 15inch retina with the 2gb Nvidia GPU

Or

A 2020 quad core 13inch intel with integrated Iris Pro GPU

EDIT: I think this answers my question: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-750M-vs-Intel-Iris-Plus-G7/m7928vsm888370

How much are you saving vs literally any M1 machine?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LionArcher posted:

Oh Word? I thought the $300 LG 24 inch was a perfect pixel ration to the 13 inch MacBook Pro. drat it. In other news my fusion drive 27 inch iMac 5k (late 2015) is having directory issues but since it's on Big Sur holy poo poo running diskwarrior correctly on it is a major pain in my rear end. It's what I've been doing (and trying to make a bootable clone all afternoon. I think I've managed with Carbon Copy Cloner but if anything is making me want to upgrade faster to M silicon, it's this poo poo. Also apple needs to make Super duper and Carbon cloner okay to make bootable drives instead of pains in the rear end.

CCC, the latest version (5.1.25) can make bootable copies of Intel Big Sur volumes but from what I understand Bombich had to do some kind of workaround to get it to work because Apple's own utility can't even do it thanks to some stupid undocumented change to the APFS format.

SuperDuper can make an Intel backup if you use an older version of it, purposely exclude it from Full Disk Access, and do a full backup and pretend everything is normal.. but somehow that seems like something I wouldn't trust over time..

Nothing can currently make bootable M1 clones; the only way to 'copy' an M1 install at the moment is keeping a Time Machine backup, wiping the new machine or drive, doing a grounds up reinstall of Bug Sur, then Migration Assistant-ing to restore your account.

The sad part is that whomever is in charge at Apple's OS team must be some newbie who has no idea of what a world class personal computer OS has to be capable of or we would not be in this mess.

Microsoft would be tarred, feathered, and collectively railroaded out of Seattle for releasing a patch to Windows 10 that renders it uncloneable.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: Apple Event! :siren:

AirTags, new iPad Pro, maaaaaaybe M1 iMacs?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple Event! :siren:

AirTags, new iPad Pro, maaaaaaybe M1 iMacs?

100% iPads.

The thing looks like it was drawn with an Apple Pencil.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Go to https://apple.com/events on your TimPhone or TimPad and click on the Spring Apple logo for an AR doodle thing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Does anybody here have any idea of what's happening on a technical level when I AirPlay something to a HomePod mini? It's so finickity, unreliable, and such a pain in the rear end compared to a non-Apple speaker that it'd turn me off the whole concept of AirPlay if I didn't have other speakers that work just fine.

It takes so long and fails to remember my current position so often that I have to assume the HomePod is trying to independently download the entire podcast itself instead of just receiving the drat audio like I want it do.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TACD posted:

Does anybody here have any idea of what's happening on a technical level when I AirPlay something to a HomePod mini? It's so finickity, unreliable, and such a pain in the rear end compared to a non-Apple speaker that it'd turn me off the whole concept of AirPlay if I didn't have other speakers that work just fine.

It takes so long and fails to remember my current position so often that I have to assume the HomePod is trying to independently download the entire podcast itself instead of just receiving the drat audio like I want it do.

If it's anything like the Apple TV, the device connecting to the HomePod and the HomePod are making an ad hoc network. For the Apple TV, that's to avoid network latency issues, and the TV will even use its own networking capabilities for streaming videos and whatnot when connected via AirPlay. So I think it's reasonable to think that the HomePod is doing something similar.

My brother's had similar issues with his, but mores with audio streamed from the Bandcamp app, but has had better luck using Music to stream local media. Looking at the settings available, I'm not sure it's possible to force it to use the device's local media only, but it might be worth trying to download the episodes first (if you're not already) and/or trying a different podcast app.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

At some point they offloaded AirPlaying content from Apple-developed apps (Music.app, Podcasts.app etc) to HomePods and Apple TVs into something where it attempts to load the content remotely (from the Internet, not from your phone/tablet) on the HomePod/Apple TV directly instead of actually streaming it from the phone or tablet. And it sucks.

As a test, if you AirPlay something from Spotify (or a non-Apple app) to a HomePod, it does the old school AirPlay thing where it simply streams directly from your phone/tablet and works a ton better.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 13, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I ended up hard wiring my Apple TV because of that issue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Airplay over wifi seems sort of crap and I can get 4K out of it when both sides are using Ethernet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If I'm watching something streaming off of YouTube or one of the Internet TV sites via Safari and routing the audio to my HomePod Mini, the audio/video sync is pretty good..

If I'm watching something on the TV app, the syncing is good..

If I'm watching on a third party player, the sync is terrible and there's some kind of automatic 2-second delay; some of these third party movie players at least allow for this by allowing you to push/pull the audio sync by a manually settable amount.

I find if I play anything through Movist Pro, I have to use a 2-second delay in Mojave and now a 3.5 second delay (?!) in Catalina; I still refuse to route anything to the HP Mini that's running Big Sur, but supposedly stereo using two HP Minis has been fixed in Big Sur 11.3 beta 8..

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it’s just a buffer built into the protocol. there’s always been a 2 second (apparently longer now from your description) delay in airplay since the very beginning. the os will sync the audio and video files if it knows it’s doing video, otherwise it treats everything as audio and proceeds with the 2 second delay

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

CCC, the latest version (5.1.25) can make bootable copies of Intel Big Sur volumes but from what I understand Bombich had to do some kind of workaround to get it to work because Apple's own utility can't even do it thanks to some stupid undocumented change to the APFS format.

SuperDuper can make an Intel backup if you use an older version of it, purposely exclude it from Full Disk Access, and do a full backup and pretend everything is normal.. but somehow that seems like something I wouldn't trust over time..

Nothing can currently make bootable M1 clones; the only way to 'copy' an M1 install at the moment is keeping a Time Machine backup, wiping the new machine or drive, doing a grounds up reinstall of Bug Sur, then Migration Assistant-ing to restore your account.

The sad part is that whomever is in charge at Apple's OS team must be some newbie who has no idea of what a world class personal computer OS has to be capable of or we would not be in this mess.

Microsoft would be tarred, feathered, and collectively railroaded out of Seattle for releasing a patch to Windows 10 that renders it uncloneable.

Thanks for this. Yeah, basically it killed a work day for me figuring out that booting into restore mode and running disk utility to fix my directory is the best I'm going to get. I did so on each container level (going lower up) and I did it twice and it cleared all the red tape but this line.

Warning: unable to read APFS key lock range: no such file or directory.

Other than that, the machine seems much snappier today. Knock on wood. (I was having hard crashes and it was not letting me shut down. I can't load messages right now (and if I restarted I suspect I could) but otherwise all programs are working and it feels like I said, snappier. Still, the day that they release a new big iMac or a cheaper mac/pro mini/ and a good 27 inch screen that's not five freaking grand... I may be tempted to upgrade. For now iMac, keep chugging smoothly please. (It's a pretty amazing work machine, late 2015 with this wonderful display).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I want to setup a garage computer, and I'm thinking a mac mini is probably the way to do it. It'll be hooked up to a TV, and will basically just need to play music, play youtube videos, and browse the web. What's the oldest/lowest spec I could go to do this and reasonably drive a 1080p TV? Any particular places I should look for a used one, or just ebay it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I want to setup a garage computer, and I'm thinking a mac mini is probably the way to do it. It'll be hooked up to a TV, and will basically just need to play music, play youtube videos, and browse the web. What's the oldest/lowest spec I could go to do this and reasonably drive a 1080p TV? Any particular places I should look for a used one, or just ebay it?

just make sure whatever you get has flash storage and / or is a model you can shove an ssd in. i assume you don’t want an m1, though it will last you as a garage computer for the next decade easy. otherwise just get whatever reasonable intel box you can get a good deal on, anything in the current design will probably work for the needs you have tbqh though i’d stay away from the really low specced dual core stuff just because web browsing alone can be frustratingly heavy these days.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Krakkles posted:

The oldest Mini I’d get would be a 2018, they’re reasonably powerful and upgradeable (at least with regard to memory), and should have decent OS update support for a while.

M1 minis can be found for cheap though, if your budget can handle it just get an M1.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anything with at least an i5 (which would start with the 2012? model for the mini I think) should be able to play Youtube videos at 1080p. Those did come with poo poo 5400 RPM hard drives that would be easy to replace with an 2.5" SATA SSD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Anything with at least an i5 (which would start with the 2012? model for the mini I think) should be able to play Youtube videos at 1080p. Those did come with poo poo 5400 RPM hard drives that would be easy to replace with an 2.5" SATA SSD.

I have a 2012 i5 and I wouldn’t recommend it tbh. It works but not that great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

smax posted:

M1 minis can be found for cheap though, if your budget can handle it just get an M1.

seriously, once you start pricing out a 2018 for like $400-500, spending an extra $170 on the most basic M1 Mini seems like a total no brainer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm thinking of trading in an older MacBook I have lying around for Apple store credit (towards an iPhone mini.) Is there a benefit to going and doing this in person, or are they just going to ship it off before I get my real estimate anyway?

Yes I know I said upthread that I don't understand why anyone would use the trade in program but I literally have no time to deal with selling it right now and need a new phone real bad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Last Chance posted:

At some point they offloaded AirPlaying content from Apple-developed apps (Music.app, Podcasts.app etc) to HomePods and Apple TVs into something where it attempts to load the content remotely (from the Internet, not from your phone/tablet) on the HomePod/Apple TV directly instead of actually streaming it from the phone or tablet. And it sucks.

As a test, if you AirPlay something from Spotify (or a non-Apple app) to a HomePod, it does the old school AirPlay thing where it simply streams directly from your phone/tablet and works a ton better.
Yea, this fully matches my experience. Non-Apple apps AirPlay without any hassle but the first-party Music and Podcasts apps are an absolute pain :waycool:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm thinking of trading in an older MacBook I have lying around for Apple store credit (towards an iPhone mini.) Is there a benefit to going and doing this in person, or are they just going to ship it off before I get my real estimate anyway?

Yes I know I said upthread that I don't understand why anyone would use the trade in program but I literally have no time to deal with selling it right now and need a new phone real bad.

If you have an Apple card and do monthly payments they will give you the trade-in value online instantly instead of waiting for it to be evaluated, no walk-in required.
I think if you go in-store they can do instant as well regardless of payment.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I don't care whether I get the purported value instantly, I care about whether it gets revoked a couple weeks later because some guy in Texas got my laptop and decided it isn't worth as much as I was previously told over some bullshit, which has apparently been a major issue lately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apologies for trying to answer your question then I guess?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sorry if I came across as standoffish. I should have used a tone that showed I was trying to clarify: if I go into the store for my trade-in, and they give me a value there, is that a done deal right then and there, or could it be revoked later on?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sorry if I came across as standoffish. I should have used a tone that showed I was trying to clarify: if I go into the store for my trade-in, and they give me a value there, is that a done deal right then and there, or could it be revoked later on?

I’m really not sure. I could see it going either way, but they do mention “instant credit” on this page: https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

My guess is it still gets evaluated by their logistics subcontractors, and the valuation could change if they found something wrong. That article is off-putting, but I think I’d give it a try. You definitely don’t have to accept their offer, and there are alternatives like MacMeAnOffer.com which makes really competitive offers and has been easy to work with even when there were some questions on one of the devices I had sent in.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to clean a screen that's susceptible to "staingate"? My girlfriend's laptop is a 2016 MBP that is known for the issue and she has the tiniest of all marks from it in the upper right hand corner of her screen.

I googled the issue back then and everyone was essentially like "yeah, just don't put anything on it" and that's what we've been doing. If she has any fingerprints or smudges, we just use a quick microfiber cloth.

Well, today that's kinda not possible. She spilled coffee on the screen itself -- and I mean just the screen. It didn't come into contact with any edges, any places where coffee could seep into, and now we're wondering how we actually clean the screen. Does she just have to live with the coffee forever or is there some safe way to clean it without risking more stains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to clean a screen that's susceptible to "staingate"? My girlfriend's laptop is a 2016 MBP that is known for the issue and she has the tiniest of all marks from it in the upper right hand corner of her screen.

I googled the issue back then and everyone was essentially like "yeah, just don't put anything on it" and that's what we've been doing. If she has any fingerprints or smudges, we just use a quick microfiber cloth.

Well, today that's kinda not possible. She spilled coffee on the screen itself -- and I mean just the screen. It didn't come into contact with any edges, any places where coffee could seep into, and now we're wondering how we actually clean the screen. Does she just have to live with the coffee forever or is there some safe way to clean it without risking more stains?

just dampen the microfibre cloth. there's no reason why it shouldn't work.