Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, back when CIG hadn't even broken 100 million. The golden years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Good god. That video is over 5 years old. This crazy poo poo has been going on through 3 presidential administrations. And the developers and players are acting like that's perfectly normal.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Some Spectrum nutcase posted:

Boring.

ED was one of the most boring games I've ever played. I truly regret backing it during development.

quote:

I've tried 4-5 times to get into it. It sucks from the basic design up. It will never be anything other than boring as gently caress.

quote:

I should totally care what some random person on Youtube thinks.

The game is boring and not worth my time. As I said before, I regret backing it's development.

I could also won't give a gently caress about what anyone else has to say regarding the game. Nothing they could ever say would shift my opinion on it one bit, because their experience in the game is beyond completely worthless and meaningless to me.

Let me tell you how much I dont give a gently caress about Elite and about what anyone has to say regarding Elite by posting multiple times about it in less than 3 hours.

Edit: I mean Elite sucks balls but this dude is funny and scared shitless about Elite.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 12, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lammasu posted:

Good god. That video is over 5 years old. This crazy poo poo has been going on through 3 presidential administrations. And the developers and players are acting like that's perfectly normal.

All the gamer dads who posted about playing SC with their baby as their wingman in the future, kid's gonna grow up and move out before the game releases lol.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
I 've been browsing this thread for so long that I forget:
Did : "Star Citizen, the Potemkin Village of Video Games" come from here?

Star Citizen, an early access live service game, where the game is a tertiary after-thought and the service is being marketed to.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lammasu posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jX2KiQ2.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sample_text posted:

I 've been browsing this thread for so long that I forget:
Did : "Star Citizen, the Potemkin Village of Video Games" come from here?

I know I've referenced it that way years ago, but I found an earlier post that referenced it that way too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3800238&pagenumber=643&perpage=40&highlight=potemkin#post469482217

There were earlier threads that I'd be willing to bet also called it such, but :effort:

Edit: found an even older one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3748466&pagenumber=5929&perpage=40#post465268516

Another edit: maybe the oldest:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3748466&pagenumber=1780&perpage=40#post455935113

I guess this is what happens with a 5:00 am coffee after no sleep.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 12, 2021

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

trucutru posted:

I mean, it *is* better than SC but that gameplay is, frankly, kind of embarrassingly bad in its blandness.

Also, what low gravity? does the gravity only kick in if you jump?

Gravity Goo shoe soles?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

MedicineHut posted:

Let me tell you how much I dont give a gently caress about Elite and about what anyone has to say regarding Elite by posting multiple times about it in less than 3 hours.

Edit: I mean Elite sucks balls but this dude is funny and scared shitless about Elite.

I have to wonder how much he backed it for. It couldn't be more than $50, right? $100, tops?

I can't think of anything on Earth that I spent $100 on and still "truly regret" about 10 years later.

E: adverb

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

trucutru posted:

Also, what low gravity? does the gravity only kick in if you jump?

My money is on "gameplay reasons".

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I hope star citizen's take on low gravity planets will be walking around like astronauts on the moon realistically I expect all planets and moons to have same gravity

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Time_pants posted:

I can't think of anything on Earth that I spent $100 on and still "truly regret" about 10 years later.

Maybe he picked up a venereal disease after a night at a shady space station whilst space trucking.

Also why doesn't Star Citizer have STD based gameplay?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

commando in tophat posted:

I hope star citizen's take on low gravity planets will be walking around like astronauts on the moon realistically I expect all planets and moons to have same gravity

Don't forget one of their planet promises - REAL day/night cycles caused automatically by orbital patterns around the stars, axis tilt, speed of rotation, speed of revolution, and that those "naturally" occurring day/night cycles will also mean completley different gameplay just emerging on the surface as the flora/fauna/etc. adapt to the changes in light. Perfectly normal game development!

It's funny to me how Chris Roberts's understanding of "game development" is that he literally doesn't understand it at all. He just wants the computer to mimic the atoms and molecules of real life, and that somehow makes it "real." Even if it were possible, it's still not real, because it's still in the PC virtual space and not out here in meatspace. Even his idea of real is fake.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mu77ley posted:

rule of cool :11tea:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

I mean, having your stride, walk, and run animations and response be affected by gravity must be a huge pain in the rear end to program but, like, this ain't exactly Mario, it's supposed to be somewhat fideltious.

I bet proper moon running simulation would be the least fun, most annoying piece of poo poo gameplay you could add but that has never stopped E:D before.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Mu77ley posted:

Bouncing bumping and rolling slowly around the corridors of settlements seems to be something some on the fdev forums actually expected.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Don't forget one of their planet promises - REAL day/night cycles caused automatically by orbital patterns around the stars, axis tilt, speed of rotation, speed of revolution, and that those "naturally" occurring day/night cycles will also mean completley different gameplay just emerging on the surface as the flora/fauna/etc. adapt to the changes in light. Perfectly normal game development!

It's funny to me how Chris Roberts's understanding of "game development" is that he literally doesn't understand it at all. He just wants the computer to mimic the atoms and molecules of real life, and that somehow makes it "real." Even if it were possible, it's still not real, because it's still in the PC virtual space and not out here in meatspace. Even his idea of real is fake.

Since the planets will have to do a full rotation in 60 minutes or so for proper game night/day cycles CIG will run into the problem that their planet simulation will create hurricane winds, strong Coriolis forces, and other unpredictable issues. Animals will adapt wildly in order to be able to deal with these cycles. Picture the Microtech Chihuahua, with its circadian cycle of sixty minutes. Scary poo poo, only bad ice can calm them down, which is why they are known as Perros Malos in the slums of neo-Tijuana.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hire me as a lore writer CI-G. I can even compose Operas of the Martian kind. But they all kinda sound like the one in Final Fantasy VI

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 12, 2021

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

Hire me as a lore writer CI-G. I can even compose Operas of the Martian kind. But they all kinda sound like the one in Final Fantasy VI

Have you got to the forest moon of Ednor yet, with its cute furry denizens the He-woks and She-woks? Back story's a doozy.

.random
May 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

My commando
So far away now
Will I ever see your Idris?
Love goes away
Like cargo in the bay
When my ship despawns

I’m the darkness,
You’re the stars.
Our love is brighter than the bulb behind :iiasb:
For eternity
For me there can be
Only Star Citizen.

Must I fall through
The ramp again?
Will they ever restock the vending machines?
What shall I do?
I lost my whole crew.
Speak to me over FOIP.

We must cart now
All these boxes.
But trolleys can’t go up.
Ere I walk away
From the cargo bay
Oh god, I just died again.

Such fidelity
In my gameplay
I will be forever yours.
Come what may
It will age quite poor-lay
I’ll wait for you always.

.random fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 12, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Imagine the Cantina band playing Yakety sax, that's your soundtrack right there

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

.random posted:

My commando
So far away now
Love goes away
Like cargo in the bay
When my ship despawns

I’m the darkness,
You’re the stars.
For eternity
For me there can be
Only Star Citizen.

Must I fall through
The ramp again?
What shall I do?
I lost my whole crew.
Speak to me over FOIP.

We must cart now
All these boxes.
Ere I walk away
From the cargo bay

Such fidelity
In my gameplay
I will be forever yours.
Come what may
:perfect: :perfect:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

.random posted:

My commando
So far away now
Love goes away
Like cargo in the bay
When my ship despawns

I’m the darkness,
You’re the stars.
For eternity
For me there can be
Only Star Citizen.

Must I fall through
The ramp again?
What shall I do?
I lost my whole crew.
Speak to me over FOIP.

We must cart now
All these boxes.
Ere I walk away
From the cargo bay

Such fidelity
In my gameplay
I will be forever yours.
Come what may

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

.random posted:

My commando
So far away now
Love goes away
Like cargo in the bay
When my ship despawns

I’m the darkness,
You’re the stars.
For eternity
For me there can be
Only Star Citizen.

Must I fall through
The ramp again?
What shall I do?
I lost my whole crew.
Speak to me over FOIP.

We must cart now
All these boxes.
Ere I walk away
From the cargo bay

Such fidelity
In my gameplay
I will be forever yours.
Come what may

If you didn't read this with the garbled singing voices in your head, you are officially a bodysnatcher.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Time_pants posted:

If you didn't read this with the garbled singing voices in your head, you are officially a bodysnatcher.

I read it in Ewe s voice, with all that kazoo stuff in the background going on. parp parp parp.....

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

I read it in Ewe s voice, with all that kazoo stuff in the background going on. parp parp parp.....

You get a pass, but I'll be keeping my eye on you.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

This feels shockingly relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8ZAqZnRqM

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
My favorite part of the SC crowd hating on ED is that the game is basically the exact same thing to their fever dream of SC, except ED has been released for years and is adding content to an already existing game.

If flying through space in a spaceship then landing on a planet is boring in ED, how is it going to be any better in SC...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Not even sure what these things are anymore.

Looked like somebody used an editor to spawn a missile or something that plopped.

Then it looked like the car was a spider mech or something and I thought that was cool until I saw it had wheels and it was just sort of swerving diagonally for some reason.

Is this the theater of wars?

Is it deadlier than CoD yet?

Is this esports?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

onesixtwo posted:

My favorite part of the SC crowd hating on ED is that the game is basically the exact same thing to their fever dream of SC, except ED has been released for years and is adding content to an already existing game.

If flying through space in a spaceship then landing on a planet is boring in ED, how is it going to be any better in SC...

Frontier is really going out of their way to dismantle all of CIG's claims that it's possible to make giant empty static landscapes fun if you just do it right lol.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Pew.

Pew.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I learned about this game from a video on what a fiasco this game is. The end of the vid was super mildly optimistic that progress was getting made. That video came out in 2016....

Soooo what's happened between then and now?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lammasu posted:

Every now and then I'll go back to one of the old threads to re-read the highlights (and laugh at all my bad posts) and every time I do I remember some major event from Star Citizen's development that I had completely memoryholed. This has gone on so much longer than I would have guessed back in 2012 lmao

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

onesixtwo posted:

There's a fascinating amount of hoops being jumped through alright. Fidelity only matters if it's in SC:
- orbiting planets: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale planets: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale galaxy: doesn't count
- 1:1 scale nebulae: doesn't count
- "Lagrange points" in a game with no orbits: fidelitous!
- space clouds because true scale nebulae are boring: fidelitous!
- big planetary city texture (SC): now *that's* fidelity!
- HD texture for facial pimples : gently caress yeah!

And for that part of the crowd that prides itself on supporting "innovative-never-done-before" game technology, you'd think the proc-gen milky way with its additional scattering of known stars from current astronomical catalogues, and all its 1:1 scale landable planetary surfaces would be considered a pretty neat achievement in itself, irrespective of the limited gameplay it offers outside of the inhabited systems. But no, that's not fidelitous apparently. That vending machine on the other hand...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

- space clouds because true scale nebulae are boring: fidelitous!

i want to be financially compensated every time someone reminds me of sbutt fartizen's ridiculously tiny nebulae

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if i were making a fideltiousitious space game, I'd go the desert-bus route to save time. Give everyone some cools ships and stuff, let them take off from earth, wow! But then they have to travel space in-real-time at near lightspeed. By the time someone gets to the nearest star even CiG will have had time to build something like a game there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

marumaru posted:

i want to be financially compensated every time someone reminds me of sbutt fartizen's ridiculously tiny nebulae

If I financially compensate you, do I get a JPG of the receipt?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

If I financially compensate you, do I get a JPG of the receipt?

yeah and for a few bucks more we can NFT it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant posted:

if i were making a fideltiousitious space game, I'd go the desert-bus route to save time. Give everyone some cools ships and stuff, let them take off from earth, wow! But then they have to travel space in-real-time at near lightspeed. By the time someone gets to the nearest star even CiG will have had time to build something like a game there.

nvm, nearest star is like 4.24 lightyears away. People would have been chilling in an empty new solar system for years by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

nvm, nearest star is like 4.24 lightyears away. People would have been chilling in an empty new solar system for years by now.

Luckily they can stock the vending machines while they travel!