Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cracker King posted:

Is there a good ‘babby’s first war game?

I’ve played RTS and 4X and tactics games but never hex based war games.

I like management games and sims and figured I’d give war games a shot.

Shadow Empire caught my attention in a recent RPS article and I never messed with supply lines and logistics.

I am not looking for The Best war game -more like - the most Approachable to the war game genre overall?

I’d prefer modern and sci-fi settings over fantasy but not picky if it’s a good game.

Panzer General/Panzer Corps
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa
Unity of Command 2

Shadow Empire is probably diving into the deep end but its not impossible, itll just take a sec to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Those are all strategic, if you would prefer tactical Graviteam Tactics (make sure to ask in the thread how the gently caress to play it), Flashpoint Campaigns, Armoured Brigade.

Battle Academy is good too and extremely approachable.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Lock N Load Tactical Digital is pretty great. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149940/Lock_n_Load_Tactical_Digital_Core_Game/

Though you definitely need to read the rulebook as it's a boardgame turned digital.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
My 65 year old father asked me to find him a video game. As far as I know, the only two video games he's ever enjoyed are the Commodore 64's Hunt for Red October, and Command & Conquer Red Alert. I guess I'm looking for a war game that is also intuitive for people who aren't good with computers or video games??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zoracle Zed posted:

My 65 year old father asked me to find him a video game. As far as I know, the only two video games he's ever enjoyed are the Commodore 64's Hunt for Red October, and Command & Conquer Red Alert. I guess I'm looking for a war game that is also intuitive for people who aren't good with computers or video games??

If he's comfortable with RTS mechanics and mouse-driven stuff, maybe Starsector? It's basically spaceships-as-naval-combat, with a mix of simplified RTS controls + manual piloting of your personal ship (which is also optional, you can just put it on autopilot and treat it like just another NPC ship.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zoracle Zed posted:

Buy him C&C remastered!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Buy him C&C remastered!

Yeah I picked this up recently (having never played it before) and it's a TON of fun. Holds up really well.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Are there any modern 4 player co-op RPGs? Something where everyone has their own persistent character and builds it up and gets more powerful, but preferably with more of a campaign and story, and also preferably first or third person, not isometric.

I think what I'm looking for is basically a co-op Might and Magic but I don't think it exists, except maybe to mod the poo poo out of "Outward"...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Almost certainly not what you're looking for, but D&D Chronicles of Mystara is a D&D-themed beat-em-up with networked multiplayer. It's originally an arcade game, so not exactly very long and with a very shallow story, but it does have an awful lot of depth for a beat-em-up, with different classes, spells, equipment, branching paths in the levels, etc.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Cracker King posted:

Is there a good ‘babby’s first war game?

I’ve played RTS and 4X and tactics games but never hex based war games.

I like management games and sims and figured I’d give war games a shot.

Shadow Empire caught my attention in a recent RPS article and I never messed with supply lines and logistics.

I am not looking for The Best war game -more like - the most Approachable to the war game genre overall?

I’d prefer modern and sci-fi settings over fantasy but not picky if it’s a good game.

It's a little tougher, but War in the East? Play as the Soviets, have a very simple, very clear objective--hold Moscow in 1941, then start pushing back? Might be overwhelming at first but you can tolerate a lot of losses.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tagra posted:

Are there any modern 4 player co-op RPGs? Something where everyone has their own persistent character and builds it up and gets more powerful, but preferably with more of a campaign and story, and also preferably first or third person, not isometric.

I think what I'm looking for is basically a co-op Might and Magic but I don't think it exists, except maybe to mod the poo poo out of "Outward"...

no isometric? dang that cuts out some of the best like Divinity Original Sin 2. It's pretty slim pickings for 1st or 3rd person classic RPGs for coop:

maybe Conan Exiles? It doesn't have to be played as an always online server MMO-lite, you can just run your own instance with friends. It has storylines, but not one big overarching story.

What about Division 1 and or 2? They are third person shooters yea but they are 100% RPGs all about leveling up stats and stuff.

Dying Light is first person, fully coop, exploring a HUGE detailed map with a focus on exploration, questing, leveling up and beating zombies with pipes. The movement, parkour jumping, melee system and overall world is pretty sweet. It's really a top notch coop experience. It has a cool level up system too where you bank XP or risk going for more at night to gain more and potentially losing some when you die. A lot of people would probably classify it as an FPS but really guns are not common, and coop is well done. The base game + DLC adds another HUGE map with cars, it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tagra posted:

Vermintide 2 might scratch this itch

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Almost certainly not what you're looking for, but D&D Chronicles of Mystara is a D&D-themed beat-em-up with networked multiplayer. It's originally an arcade game, so not exactly very long and with a very shallow story, but it does have an awful lot of depth for a beat-em-up, with different classes, spells, equipment, branching paths in the levels, etc.

M&B II has coop I think doesn't it?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tagra posted:

If you're willing to deal with the answer being "yes, but they're shooters" then someone already mentioned vermintide, but there's also the payday games, deep rock galactic, and of course the borderlands games.

If the group doesn't like shooters, but will accept arcade brawler combat there's mystara as mentioned but also the various river city games; the modern ones support up to 4 people and there is rpg progression and unlocking moves and whatnot.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

no isometric? dang that cuts out some of the best like Divinity Original Sin 2. It's pretty slim pickings for 1st or 3rd person classic RPGs for coop:

Original Sin was my suggestion but the group nixed it (and all other isometrics) :smith:

Kinda sounds like we've tried everything else so maybe I can bring them around.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 10, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Tagra posted:

Another month an a half until D&D Dark Alliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1smbjIVJI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/623280/Dungeons__Dragons_Dark_Alliance/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tagra posted:

Some of the more story centric MMOs like FF14 might work, it's often described as a great single player RPG behind the trappings of an MMO so you could approach it like that except co-op? Dunno if it counts as too close to "isometric" style though.

I think the entire base game and first expansion is now free so no loss if it doesn't work out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah a story centric mmo isn’t a terrible idea.

Secret World is kind of old now but it really shines in co-op because of the puzzle solving investigation quests. It’s fun to chat conspiracy theories with friends :3:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tagra posted:

Full Metal Furies maybe?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello games friends. I would like to play a game that is about building economies and trading-I have no idea if this exists. Something like a mix of a less buggy Victoria 2, Banished!, Cities: Skylines, and Factorio. I want to build my little city/civilization and research about trains and build mines to mine ore and turn into gears to turn into machine tools or whatever and then sell or trade them with other and lay out train tracks and canals and poo poo to get my iron or to the port or w/e. Preferably without the pressure of someone maybe attacking me, but I also tend to lose interest in complete sandboxes, so idk.

Barring that maybe some kind of train/railroad sim?

E: it looks like maybe Anno 1800 is sort of this?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 11, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Anno series is definitely a good choice. Lay out infrastructure and supply chains, factories, plan the most efficient supply and trade routes. The difficulty settings are also really granular, so you can just set the enemy AI's (and pirates if you want) to easy or normal, which keeps them from being overtly aggressive and adjust the world's settings to your liking. As for goals, sandbox mode feeds you plenty of sidequests and there are a ton of milestones/achievements to reach, some of which are pretty challenging. The campaigns are a little more constrained and work as an extended, very long tutorial for all the game's features.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 11, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hello games friends. I would like to play a game that is about building economies and trading-I have no idea if this exists. Something like a mix of a less buggy Victoria 2, Banished!, Cities: Skylines, and Factorio. I want to build my little city/civilization and research about trains and build mines to mine ore and turn into gears to turn into machine tools or whatever and then sell or trade them with other and lay out train tracks and canals and poo poo to get my iron or to the port or w/e. Preferably without the pressure of someone maybe attacking me, but I also tend to lose interest in complete sandboxes, so idk.

You can ask in the Management Games thread for more recommendations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anno 1800 fulfils the "build mines to mine ore to make gears to make machine tools" thing perfectly. In terms of trade, there's a lot of internal trade as not every island/region will have every resource so you'll need to be shuffling things around, but the external trade is fairly limited - you can buy and sell some stuff but it's kind of a spare thing you do occasionally when required rather than a constant mechanic. The logistics is pretty simple, you're basically just drawing roads and railways like Sim City. If that doesn't immediately turn you off its probably the closest thing I can think of. It's available on Ubisoft+ which is like $15/month so if you're only going to want to play for a month or two, or are also interested in trying other Ubisoft games, it might be worth going that way.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 11, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe take a look at factory town?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anno is what you want. There's also Patrician, which is more about buying low and selling high although the endgame gets into manufacturing and trying to beat out your competition so you can price fix. Or if you want to get away from the selling and more into the Factorio side of things, Satisfactory might hit the spot.

I think Anno is what you want, though. There are lots of flavours of it, too, if you don't want to go straight for 1800.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, Anno 1404 still looks and runs astonishingly well and there’s a fan patch that fixes a ton of stuff. It’s a good choice if you don’t want to deal with Ubisoft’s launcher client.

Anno 2070 is also a good sci-fi take on the series.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks all! I got Anno 1800 and now I'm having a fun time fighting with ubi/epic game store's dumb launchers/downloaders. Why can't everything just be steam?????

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks all! I got Anno 1800 and now I'm having a fun time fighting with ubi/epic game store's dumb launchers/downloaders. Why can't everything just be steam?????

I would advise that you get a refund from Epic and just get it direct from Ubisoft. That way you only deal with one launcher. There is zero benefit from getting the game from Epic (unless you had a coupon; in that case have fun).

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not really a recommendation, but what contemporary game do you think has the highest ratio of quality to fame? The least known best game, in other words.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not really a recommendation, but what contemporary game do you think has the highest ratio of quality to fame? The least known best game, in other words.

Starsector? It's exceedingly well polished, but isn't on Steam.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know what you mean by quality, and with the Steam review pages, you can certainly find out a lot of games (Factorio or Rimworld for example) that would have been left behind in the 00's.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Caves of Qud, Starsector, Kenshi....

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
There is or used to be some spreadsheet of "hidden gems" that ranked games by some formula that accounted for a game's number of reviews and their rating, i.e. looking to rank Steam's highest rated but least reviewed games. I remember Wuppo was at the top of that for a while.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

There is or used to be some spreadsheet of "hidden gems" that ranked games by some formula that accounted for a game's number of reviews and their rating, i.e. looking to rank Steam's highest rated but least reviewed games. I remember Wuppo was at the top of that for a while.

https://steam250.com/hidden_gems

2# Is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart which is easily the best shmup I've ever played.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

2# Is The Void Rains Upon Her Heart which is easily the best shmup I've ever played.

looking at screens of this gives me heavy Immortal Defense vibes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

looking at screens of this gives me heavy Immortal Defense vibes

The story isn't as good (what is?) but it tackles anxiety and depression in a really, really well-thought out way. And the difficulty curve is perfect, it's basically the perfect "how to play SHMUPs" game - with lots of content at the high levels, too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

How many of these are anime bullet hells

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've got a hankering for a game about personally doing stuff. I don't know what to call the genre, but I saw Landlord's Super and I'm tempted by that, I love My Summer Car to some extent, I'm not sure how to put it but a game about doing mundane-ish tasks with your own hands, especially one that's meant to feel immersive. What else is there in this space?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Voxel Tycoon is getting a Steam release in a few days. We'll have to wait to see if it's any good, but it seems to be sort of a modernized TTD where you also get a bit into the actual production of things. Might turn out to be good, and if it does it's probably along the lines of what you're looking for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

I've got a hankering for a game about personally doing stuff. I don't know what to call the genre, but I saw Landlord's Super and I'm tempted by that, I love My Summer Car to some extent, I'm not sure how to put it but a game about doing mundane-ish tasks with your own hands, especially one that's meant to feel immersive. What else is there in this space?

House Flipper
Teardown

there are other Work Doer games but they tend to not be very mundane, i.e. Slime Rancher or Hardspace: Shipbreaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Viscera Cleanup Detail.

Cook, Serve, Delicious 1-3.